EV: Renegade

@belthazar, on Aug 23 2006, 09:30 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

A really really big background image?

Unlikely, as it would choke the screen buffer.

I'm thinking to might be something with spobs on either side of the system firing very long beams at each other.

Though now that i think about it, you could probably tile large (but not too large to choke) spob images, say a 3x3 grid, that could cover a respectable area.
That would even have the option of using a darker background as the "table" the paper rests on.

This post has been edited by Desprez : 23 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

@belthazar, on Aug 23 2006, 02:30 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

A really really big background image?

Not exactly.

@desprez, on Aug 23 2006, 03:15 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

I'm thinking to might be something with spobs on either side of the system firing very long beams at each other.

You haven't read my Guide to Spob-Based Weapons, have you? Spobs can't fire beam objects, and they can't shoot at each other. Even if you used mission-ships on top of the spobs, it would give a maximum of about eight lines, which won't cover much of a system.

Unfortunately, I just remembered that the background lines don't move under you when you fly around, which is be a definite drawback. However, the application I developed this hack for still works perfectly well... :ninja:

@desprez, on Aug 23 2006, 03:15 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Though now that i think about it, you could probably tile large (but not too large to choke) spob images, say a 3x3 grid, that could cover a respectable area.

You may want to look at this thread for an example of what happens when you have a large background image, even if it's made of tiles.

----------
Oh, right, I was supposed to keep this on topic, wasn't I?

Hmm...
The story sounds somewhat interesting, although I'd like to see a bit more of an explaination about the "defense drones". If "all was peaceful", what were the drones for? Why did they go north? Was it them, or another force, that caused the devastation in Human space?

You seem to have chosen a not-too-unreasonably large size for the TC, although I'd recommend that you consider if you can cut out bits- what you have there is a lot of work for one person. I'm sure you'll find that out yourself, though.

Using EVO and Onyx's graphics for now is a very good step- once you have a mostly-playable plug, it should be possible to find someone to make custom graphics, but at this stage, you probably won't find anyone good who's willing to volunteer.

Anyway, good luck on making this thing!

Edwards

@edwards, on Aug 23 2006, 09:17 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Unfortunately, I just remembered that the background lines don't move under you when you fly around, which is be a definite drawback. However, the application I developed this hack for still works perfectly well... :ninja:

Extend either the sidebar graphic or the shield/armor/fuel bars into the play area?

@edwards, on Aug 24 2006, 01:17 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

You haven't read my Guide to Spob-Based Weapons, have you? Spobs can't fire beam objects, and they can't shoot at each other. Even if you used mission-ships on top of the spobs, it would give a maximum of about eight lines, which won't cover much of a system.

Oops. I feel silly now. It was just in another thread that I mentioned to someone else that spobs can't fire beams. Yes, I was thinking of mission-ships over the spobs with, admittedly, few lines.

@dr--trowel, on Aug 23 2006, 06:42 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Extend either the sidebar graphic or the shield/armor/fuel bars into the play area?

Give the man with a trout! He very nearly got it right!

Here's a screenshot of the hack in action, albeit not using a "paper" background:
here'>

Interesting... did that ever get released in a plugin?

Waitaminute... That's done with the sidebars? Whenever I make one that is too large it's chopped off or Nova crashes. I agonized long and hard over that; I wanted my interface at the top of the screen.

@belthazar, on Aug 24 2006, 08:06 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Interesting... did that ever get released in a plugin?

No, I never did enough work on balancing it. At the moment it's just an in-game display of graphics for (REMOVED BY THE EDWARDS CENSORSHIP BUREAU)

@rmx256, on Aug 25 2006, 04:27 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

Waitaminute... That's done with the sidebars?

Radar interference, actually, and I have no idea if it's stable on Windows. As I said, Dr. Trowel was "very nearly" correct.

There are a few graphical oddities, such as the background not being draw under sprite bounding squares, that might make it unsuitable for a "Paper TC", but it works perfectly well for a "radar-ish" main display.

Edwards

Lemme guess, your ship can't move? Where are the little radar blips?
Very cool concept though ๐Ÿ†’. I've often thought about attempting a Maelstrom/Asterax type game with waves and stuff.

This post has been edited by Guy : 25 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

That's a ppat? Fantastic. You know that EVN can handle ppats up to 256X256, right, and up to millions of colors? ResEdit can't view 'em, but GraphicConverter can make 'em.

@belthazar, on Aug 23 2006, 02:30 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

What's so unsafe about Stuffit?

stuffit needs your e-mail adress. and it isnt free... :unsure:

by the way, (id like feedback on this)
What if i used a caricter named Krane, but with a compleetly reversed role? (I'm working on the story) I think it wouyld be ironic...
and also, in one story you get to fly an incredably powerful warship, in another you have to kill it with a very manuverabel small ship? Somthing like the Yamato?
The droids... what about 2 strings... one where you make pece with humans, another where you kill them...
well? how about it?

@phoebus-xebdaz, on Aug 29 2006, 02:32 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

stuffit needs your e-mail adress.

... Shock, horror? That's not such a terrible thing, and even if it were, there are (apparently) ways around that, like downloading it straight from the FTP server.

and it isnt free... :unsure:

Uh, try downloading the one that is free. I.e. the free Stuffit Standard trial.

Sorry to be blunt, but please edit your first post and fix the title of this topic: Ren e gade.

๐Ÿ˜„ Wondered when that would pop up

You mean, other than in this post of mine, on the very first page?

@mispeled, on Aug 29 2006, 11:04 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

Sorry to be blunt, but please edit your first post and fix the title of this topic: Ren e gade.

Wondered when that would pop up
again

@belthazar, on Aug 30 2006, 12:02 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

You mean, other than in this post of mine, on the very first page?

๐Ÿ˜ฎ I guess some of us didn't pay enough attention to your postsโ€ฆ Sorry!

This post has been edited by Pace : 30 August 2006 - 07:28 AM

@edwards, on Aug 23 2006, 06:17 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

The story sounds somewhat interesting, although I'd like to see a bit more of an explaination about the "defense drones". If "all was peaceful", what were the drones for? Why did they go north? Was it them, or another force, that caused the devastation in Human space?

Edwards

The humans lived in pece for many years, because of the abundance of wealth and land. But, they where afraid of "Ailians" because of the discovery of tissue masses in the orasos nebula (They are involved in the storylines... and dont go into the nebula, whatever you do...) so, humans bult a fleets of AI drones. the drones had some sort of glich (Sintax Error) so, they leavf. then, for some reason, they began sistematickly destroying human worlds. humans formed an alliance, and fended them off. one generation later, no droid threat has materilised. nations fight eachother. present day.
Eneugh?

@phoebus-xebdaz, on Sep 5 2006, 10:50 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

The humans lived in pece for many years, because of the abundance of wealth and land. But, they where

Eneugh?

This has got to be a joke.

I gave up part way into your post, but in the first line, you misspelled the words peace (pece) and were (where). You also misspelled enough (eneugh).

So how the ###### can you spell abundance perfectly correctly?

Seriously, tell me this is a joke.

@phoebus-xebdaz, on Sep 5 2006, 04:50 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

(Sintax Error)

I'm sorry, ๐Ÿ˜„