EV: Renegade

And how many people are working on SFA?

All sistems' links and locations have been entered! to celebrate i played a little ev Overide & classic. And I am using some ovveride graphics...

@chronodrago, on Aug 21 2006, 02:48 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

And how many people are working on SFA?

To say that SFA is 99.5% UT's work would be to vastly underestimate his role.

I don't know why he's bothering to critcize you and Phoebus, chrono -- he's top-tier around here, and you guys are obviously relative beginners, and quite young to boot. There's nothing wrong with that in my book, though. You've got a lot of enthusiasm. You're gonna need it, since you have yet to fully grasp just how much work is still ahead of you.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't judge peoples' value by the number of posts that they have put up. It's the quality of work, in posts and in plugs, that matters.

Not that my posts are always constructive, either.... In fact, I'm not sure if this one is....

So: any chance we can all put away our egos and go back to learning from each other and having fun?

Edit: I see that while I was blathering on, Phoebus put up a perfectly on-topic progress-log post. 🙂 Would people be happier if progress log threads were restricted to EV-Nova.net?

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 21 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

@phoebus-xebdaz, on Aug 21 2006, 12:18 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

All sistems' links and locations have been entered! to celebrate i played a little ev Overide & classic. And I am using some ovveride graphics...

Awesome, good job!

@dr--trowel, on Aug 21 2006, 12:25 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

So: any chance we can all put away our egos and go back to learning from each other and having fun?

Just one last thing: as well as spelling, which has been beaten to death, correct grammar and punctuation are extremely important.

I felt that I had to point that out as soon as the people criticizing PX started incorrectly using commas.

@zurdo, on Aug 21 2006, 11:55 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

I felt that I had to point that out as soon as the people criticizing PX started incorrectly using commas.

Examples?

I think that there is a void in the community as far as progress logs for plugs, like we had at the old EV-Nova.net forums. I thought that was a pretty good system. But I never did like the fact that you couldn't comment on progress log entries... Or the fact that they occasionally got full of junk plugs that started with a bang and never even whimpered to a close.

And I also have to sympathize with UTs sentiments here. Before I even started making anything I read the unnoficial EV plug-in guide, and the fact that noone reads it anymore before they do anything is a detrement to their work. It is 'chock' quite full or the most reasonable suggestions and comments. You simply can not jump into making a plug 'just for the fun of it' if you plan to release it to the world: there does need to be some quality control. Slapping down some systs and mating some toruses to some cylinders with wings a sucessful plug makes not.

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 22 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

A few examples from this thread:

Unlike, Phoebus, my first post was actually understandable and no one commented on my spelling or grammer....thank ya very much.

Ah, well it was definantly understandable.

But thanks Phoebus, for taking the time to attempt it.

And, scenarios might changes stuff around (so I might make 2 versions of a system for example)

(and as UT put it, a spellchecker is not enough)

But thanks Phoebus, for taking the time to attempt it.

(and as UT put it, a spellchecker is not enough)

These two examples use perfectly appropriate commas, although technically the second one should probably read:

(and, as UT put it, a spellchecker is not enough)

So nothing from me, as I expected. Wouldn't have wanted to be a hypocrite.

@jacabyte, on Aug 20 2006, 07:18 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Or.. You could do little sketches of ships and scan them into a sprite!

I'm joining the party late, but this would be cool.

I see it as rough sketches like you would see someone do in grade school.

Now I just have to figure out how to make a white universe with horizontal blue lines. Different systems could be different types of paper...

Notebook ring holes and coffee cup rings could be hazards, as well as rendered food crumb asteroids...

You'd fight other sketched ships, of course, some perhaps made out of pen or marker. But really bad enemies could be fully rendered pencils and erasers and they scribble or try to erase you (with white streak explosions) Maybe there are even some far away aliens that live on construction paper, fearing the day when the Giant Scissors arrive.

This post has been edited by Desprez : 22 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

Now that is one hell of an idea. :laugh: Shouldn't be to hard to make, since you can chagne the backgroudn color of a system, just I doub thte blue lines would work. It would probably be one of the most simplistic(not smallest) plugins out there and it could be enjoyable.

@desprez, on Aug 22 2006, 07:56 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Now I just have to figure out how to make a white universe with horizontal blue lines.

There's a chance you could get the effect you want with spobs or roids... but replacing spin 700 and rleD/8 700, which control the stars, might be the best bet. It's still a longshot, though, and your lines wouldn't be evenly spaced.

Consider forgetting about lines, and just trying to create textured paper.

@dr--trowel, on Aug 23 2006, 11:35 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

It's still a longshot, though, and your lines wouldn't be evenly spaced.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not?

@chronodrago, on Aug 23 2006, 12:06 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

Now that is one hell of an idea. :laugh: Shouldn't be to hard to make, since you can chagne the backgroudn color of a system, just I doub thte blue lines would work. It would probably be one of the most simplistic(not smallest) plugins out there and it could be enjoyable.

It would be cute, but not simplistic. Just because the graphics will be deliberatly rough, they will still be alot of work...

Different factions could be done in different "childish" drawing styles. One style could be the same image drawn flat with a marker, and simply rotated around, but even then it would be cool to animate it as if it was down with very rough animation, so the lines shift and wiggle.
Another style might be rough 3D pencil drawings, but this will be easiest by actually rendering the ship, and then drawing the lines over the image as a guide.
Yet another might look as though it was done in a couple different colors of pen, perhaps slightly cartoonish.

The point is, don't underestimate the amount of work it is to make the art look to be in the style of various rough drawings styles, even though the style are "simple".
The one saving grace is that most won't require fancy 3D software, and so it will likely be more accessable to more people.

Now all that aside, imagine this cool effect:
The dreded Giant Pencil comes. When it fires, it has a special shooting animation frames that are the pencil "drawing" a missile. When the animation completes, the weapon fires, and it is the drawn missile!

Or perhaps when the floating bottle of white out comes, its unfolds to fire animation is the cap coming off and moving down to the paper. Or maybe even make the cap a carried ship and use the key carried images to make the bottle with and without the cap,

This post has been edited by Desprez : 22 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

@belthazar, on Aug 22 2006, 06:47 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not?

Because stars are placed randomly.
(EDIT) Actually, I've come up with a work-around for adding lines to system backgrounds, but it seriously affects gameplay. And I mean very seriously. Bonus points to anyone who can reconstruct the technique from that hint.

Anyway, for anyone seriously considering this, that last person to try making a pen-and-paper TC reported that transparent sprites, such as engine glows, will not appear on a white background. It still sounds like it would be very fun to play.

@desprez, on Aug 22 2006, 07:12 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

It would be cute, but not simplistic. Just because the graphics will be deliberatly rough, they will still be alot of work...

True. Even TCTC-style graphics are a fair amount of work to make, although the largest task, spinning them, would probably not take quite as much work for pencil drawings.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 22 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

@edwards, on Aug 23 2006, 02:22 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

Anyway, for anyone seriously considering this, that last person to try making a pen-and-paper TC reported that transparent sprites, such as engine glows, will not appear on a white background.

What about a just slightly off-white? Not enough to notice but so it's not pure white to the game engine.

@edwards, on Aug 23 2006, 02:22 AM, said in EV: Renegade:

True. Even TCTC-style graphics are a fair amount of work to make, although the largest task, spinning them, would probably not take quite as much work for pencil drawings.

Well they will if they are drawings of 3D ships.
Though, admittedly, they could all be top or side view drawings of ships. That would be easy.

@desprez, on Aug 22 2006, 07:33 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

What about a just slightly off-white? Not enough to notice but so it's not pure white to the game engine.

It pretty much doesn't work. I can't find the thread I remember, but here's a thread that explains the problem from three years ago.

@desprez, on Aug 22 2006, 07:33 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Well they will if they are drawings of 3D ships.

At an angle? That would be a lot of work. Top-down TCTC ships take me about an hour and a half from first pixel to complete spďn, now that I know what I'm doing, and I doubt it would take too much longer for Sketchfighter-style drawings after some practice.

Edwards

@jacabyte, on Aug 20 2006, 12:18 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

Or.. You could do little sketches of ships and scan them into a sprite!

There is a 60% chance i will do that, then use spinapp... but, if I could find all of the miriad apps to download onix's stuff, i could use that... if anyone could find a safe Expander for.sit files, it would be appreceated. The testing version 1.0 will have just 5 tipes of ship, but, at one point, i hope to have at least 3 ships per faction... Projected release date: Next summer. Can we keep it on topic?
Any Suggestions?
But thank you for all of the help so far.
and also, thank you for refering to me by tital rather than name

@edwards, on Aug 23 2006, 12:22 PM, said in EV: Renegade:

(EDIT) Actually, I've come up with a work-around for adding lines to system backgrounds, but it seriously affects gameplay. And I mean very seriously. Bonus points to anyone who can reconstruct the technique from that hint.

A really really big background image?

PX said:

if anyone could find a safe Expander for.sit files, it would be appreceated.

What's so unsafe about Stuffit?

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 23 August 2006 - 04:32 PM