I'm well into developing a TC....

Okay, time for today's update! I tied up a lot of loose ends, added a new weapon (Heatseeking Missiles) and added several new outfits. I also added a new space station. I intend to add one more spob, then work on missions. By the Thursday after next, I really think that the teaser will be ready.

Looks good! Keep up the good work!

But I have a small comment... about that traveller's card... I think I read "Keep's you flying". Meh. Mistake on graphics. :rolleyes:

@mumbling-psycho, on Sep 9 2007, 02:55 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

... about that traveller's card... I think I read "Keep's you flying". Meh. Mistake on graphics. :rolleyes:

I, too, saw this. Other than that, Shlim, this TC looks like it's going to be rockin'. Can't wait to try it.

Awesome.

This is gonna be so freakin' sweet.

EDIT: WOOHOO! 700th post!

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 09 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

Well. Thanks for the enthusiasm!

But I have a small comment... about that traveller's card... I think I read "Keep's you flying"

Oh, I didn't realize I'd done that. I'll fix that pronto.

I've only read from page 3, but here's my suggestion:

Don't do any graphics work. I can tell you're trying very hard with your graphics, but (please don't take offense, I'm just being honest) but they are not the quality you need for a polished looking TC. Use placeholder graphics and program everything else , like your missions, spobs, descs, etc. There's a lot of very talented Digital Artists on these forums, and I'm sure at least one of them would be more than willing to help you make a complete TC look pretty.

I've been around here for a few years, and I've seen a hundred of you, so forgive me if i sound jaded. Most TCs, however, die in the tedious programming needed to make it fun. So good luck to you.

I've only read from page 3, but here's my suggestion:

Don't do any graphics work. I can tell you're trying very hard with your graphics, but (please don't take offense, I'm just being honest) but they are not the quality you need for a polished looking TC. Use placeholder graphics and program everything else, like your missions, spobs, descs, etc. There's a lot of very talented Digital Artists on these forums, and I'm sure at least one of them would be more than willing to help you make a complete TC look pretty.

I've been around here for a few years, and I've seen a hundred of you, so forgive me if i sound jaded. Most TCs, however, die in the tedious programming needed to make it fun. So good luck to you.

Thanks for your opinion! I don't take offense. I'm afraid, however, that I think the "Just hang around until someone decides to grace me with some graphics" approach is an absolutely HORRIBLE suggestion. Most of these people are busy with other projects, some of which are their own. When someone does show up willing to do graphics, it seems like they are snapped up, pronto. And besides, who says I'm looking for a polished looking TC right off the bat? I'm not Anubis or Pace.

Eventually, I will try and solicit some help with a few graphical things, for example the main menu screen and buttons. Maybe other things as well. But for now, what you see is what you get.

Besides, I like doing this. I enjoy making graphics and doing 'programming'. I don't find telling you, the player, a story in all its complex glory tedious, not even the misn testing and programming.

@shlimazel, on Sep 10 2007, 11:40 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Thanks for your opinion! I don't take offense. I'm afraid, however, that I think the "Just hang around until someone decides to grace me with some graphics" approach is an absolutely HORRIBLE suggestion. Most of these people are busy with other projects, some of which are their own. When someone does show up willing to do graphics, it seems like they are snapped up, pronto. And besides, who says I'm looking for a polished looking TC right off the bat? I'm not Anubis or Pace.

Well, do what you're gonna do. I'm not talking about right off the bat, though. And you'll have a much easier time finding a really good artists if he knows that everything else is done.

Besides, I like doing this. I enjoy making graphics and doing 'programming'. I don't find telling you, the player, a story in all its complex glory tedious, not even the misn testing and programming.

More power to you. See you in 6 months.

More power to you. See you in 6 months.

I'll be there.

I hope so 🙂

Okay, time for today's update! I added a pirate vessel, which is the only ship the pirates fly at the moment (think freelancer. the pirates only flew bloodhounds in the beginning) and I added another mission. I'm going to set it so that you can start as an pirate, though I won't have a pirate storyline right away, so I need to work on that.

I hope so too.

@shlimazel, on Sep 10 2007, 02:25 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Okay, time for today's update! I added a pirate vessel, which is the only ship the pirates fly at the moment (think freelancer. the pirates only flew bloodhounds in the beginning) and I added another mission. I'm going to set it so that you can start as an pirate, though I won't have a pirate storyline right away, so I need to work on that.

Actually, in freelancer, pirates flew all sorts of ships and actually even use 2 of the 3 super heavy fighters in the game.Even in the beginning, they had daggers, starfliers, etc. You should try online servers, you'd see how much power pirates have when you wander into the far corners of the universe with weak ships... nice modded servers are cool, too, such as the void. Anyways...

Don't listen to the party busters saying stuff like "We'll see in 6 months". Just make sure to stay realistic and keep your good spirit up! One word of advice perhaps, since I've seen you talking about a pirate's mission string. Don't overdo it with missions. Don't overdo it with anything in fact. With an average of, say, 4 descs to write for every single mission, it can quickly get overwhelming. Stick with the main strings you really wanna do first.

Oh and, while my graphic skills are pretty poor ( ms paint, anyone? ) I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. I'm used to pretty much anything other than graphics ( even then, I've made ships from scratch using paint, along with weaps, engine glows, gun exit points, etc.), so don't hesitate if you want help, you don't have anything to lose anyway, if you don't like my work, don't take it. Anyways, PM me if you want any help, even if it's just the occasionnal PM or IM message about something acting weird, this game needs more TCs 😉

At any rate, good work, so far, so good. Kudos to you. Boo to all the pessimistic ones 😛

I'm not pessimistic. I earnestly hope that he makes it through to the end. Maybe repeated hope and disappointment has made the community on the whole a little pessimistic. This infusion of new blood that has the determination to see a TC (or quasi-TC elbows Cosmic) should turn the tide of that pessimism. And so should Josh's Colosseum. Can't wait for that one, just like I can't wait for this one.

Actually, in freelancer, pirates flew all sorts of ships and actually even use 2 of the 3 super heavy fighters in the game.Even in the beginning, they had daggers, starfliers, etc. You should try online servers, you'd see how much power pirates have when you wander into the far corners of the universe with weak ships... nice modded servers are cool, too, such as the void. Anyways...

Yeah, I know that pirates use all types of ships. Like the Titan for example. That ship was so blasted TOUGH! There'l be a lot of pirate ship variety in my TC, I was just specifically talking about the Liberty pirates in the very beginning.

Don't listen to the party busters saying stuff like "We'll see in 6 months". Just make sure to stay realistic and keep your good spirit up! One word of advice perhaps, since I've seen you talking about a pirate's mission string. Don't overdo it with missions. Don't overdo it with anything in fact. With an average of, say, 4 descs to write for every single mission, it can quickly get overwhelming. Stick with the main strings you really wanna do first.

I'm not pessimistic. I earnestly hope that he makes it through to the end. Maybe repeated hope and disappointment has made the community on the whole a little pessimistic. This infusion of new blood that has the determination to see a TC (or quasi-TC elbows Cosmic) should turn the tide of that pessimism. And so should Josh's Colosseum. Can't wait for that one, just like I can't wait for this one.

Don't worry, I'm not above dropping non-performing features and cutting down my expectations when I need too to get stuff done. I really just want a lot of variety; I don't expect to have a lot of mission strings longer than 8 or 12 missions. I'd rather have a lot of random stuff that happens and random missions and things.

Oh and, while my graphic skills are pretty poor ( ms paint, anyone? ) I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. I'm used to pretty much anything other than graphics ( even then, I've made ships from scratch using paint, along with weaps, engine glows, gun exit points, etc.), so don't hesitate if you want help, you don't have anything to lose anyway, if you don't like my work, don't take it. Anyways, PM me if you want any help, even if it's just the occasionnal PM or IM message about something acting weird, this game needs more TCs

The second offer of help so far! Thanks, if I need help I'll be in touch.

@zapp, on Sep 10 2007, 09:11 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

or quasi-TC elbows Cosmic

Ouch! elbows zapp back much harder

Stop fighting, children! <mock serious tone>

But he started it!

I don't care who started it, I'm finishing it!! <stern expression> And don't start asking if we're there yet, either.