I'm well into developing a TC....

Quick question-is there a way to make a mission auto complete itself?

Look above; Axxx makes it abort, Fxxx causes it to fail. Only ways I know of.

So far it's working real well thanks to zapp's suggestion. I'll give you the goods on the mission when I finish testing. I'll be done shortly.

That's what I'm here for 🙂

This is odd-it isn't letting me board the target ship. I'm making the ship appear through a dude resource, if that's a problem. Currently you need to board the target ship to complete the middle stage of the mission.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 19 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

Couldn't you have do like they did in the Polaris string where you observe ships and the Wraith, and just use Axxx and Sxxx when you enter the system? Sxxx could be the ship in question hailing the player, with acceptance going on as normal and refusing using another Axxx and Sxxx to go to the other mission.

Edit: Oh, if a target ship has a crew of zero, it cannot be boarded. If you decide you don't want the player to board ships normally, you can make duplicates with the crew of 1 for mission purposes only, since mission ships cannot be caputed.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 19 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hmm. Do dude ships have a crew of 0, or.... Hmm, I'll need to look up the shuttle ship file. Maybe shuttles have a crew of 0 by default and that's what is causing my problem. Thanks!

No, the ship file for the shuttle says it has a crew of 1, so that can't be the problem. I'll look up the dude resource in the bible.

No, there's nothing in the bible to lead me to believe that it is causing my problem. I think I'm confused.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 19 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Okay, I just made it work-more or less. Right now you need to kill the bounty target, and the desc says that you tractored his escape in (if I can figure out why you can't board the ship I'll do that instead) and you need to land at the planet again after you accept or refuse his bribe to get it to work, but I think I might be able to fix that. I think that I will give your suggestion a try, JoshTigerheart, I wish that I'd thought of that before. Thanks for your help with this, everyone!

Also, I finished another two ships today, and made a start on placing systems, so that got worked on as well. I just need another 9 ships!

Is the mission that requires the ship to be boarded actually spawn the ship? If it's floating around before hand, it will be considered a ship as a part of the previous mission and, since it was unboardable, it can't be boarded in the new mission.

Another idea that came to mind would be to set up the mission so that the ship is already there, allowing you to disable and board the ship and collect the bribe, "completing" the mission, or destroy it, "failing" the mission. Though I'm not so sure how well that'd work, if at all.

afaik there's a mission exactly like that in the Heraan storyline, so it should be able to work 😉

afaik there's a mission exactly like that in the Heraan storyline, so it should be able to work 😉

I knew that there were other missions in stock nova which required you to board a ship-the Temmen Shard missions come to mind. I'll need to look them up and see how they work. Again, it's something that I should have done before :rolleyes:

Is the mission that requires the ship to be boarded actually spawn the ship? If it's floating around before hand, it will be considered a ship as a part of the previous mission and, since it was unboardable, it can't be boarded in the new mission.

Yes, well, let me describe how it worked as of yesterday.

Mission 1

Go to system x. Land on planet y.

Completion: Land at destination spob in destination system. Go to mission 2 immediately

Mission 2

Non refusable. Appears immediately after mission 1. Objective: leave planet. Ship X (the target) is spawned in the system through this mission. Originally you were intended board the target, but when you had disabled ship X and attempted to board, it told you that you could not board the ship. I changed it to make it so that all you needed to do was kill the ship-the mission offer text for mission 3 (Bribe) indicates that you tractored the escape pod in.

Completion: Land at start spob. Go to mission 3 immediately.

Mission 3

The Bribe mission. On accept, you must leave the planet and land again. On landing you are paid your bribe. On refuse, auto-start mission 4.

Completion: Re-land at start spob.

Mission 4

The Bounty Delivery mission. This is a non-refusable mission launched after refusing the bribe mission. In theory. In fact, you need to leave and return to get the mission, which then completes, and leave and return AGAIN to get payed.

Ultimately I am going to scrap this mission setup and set it up again, this time paying closer attention and applying what I have been informed of by the posters here. I'm wondering if it's worth it to me to do this like this, considering how resource intensive it is. It's almost as long as the Temmin Shard mission, but more easily aqquired!

JoshTigerheart, I think that your other idea is actually very close to what I had wanted to do origenally. I'll test that idea later and tell you how it works 🙂

Also in the news, although I slept none to well last night, I did get the other nine ships that I needed to finish finished! Modelling and texturing is EASY compared to concept art.

By the way, here's a picture of a new ship, hot off the griddle 🙂

A Falcon class light fighter.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 21 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

I've decided to post the plugin for the bounty hunter mission on here and let you people see what you can make of it. I've rebuilt it so it works better but it still isn't perfect. For example, I would want it to go ahead and give you the missions without forcing you to leave and return three times. :rolleyes:

Should I upload the file to the plugin directory or what? It says that I can't upload that kind of file on the post options.

{edit}
By the way, that idea dosn't work like you would think it would, JoshTigerheart. Sxxx causes you to auto accept mission X, it doesn't offer mission X to you can accept or refuse it. Thanks anyway, though!!

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 20 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

I'm wondering if there is reduced interest in my tc? I'm kind of talking to myself here. Maybe this is kind of premature, but...

"Interest" is such a vague thing. Of course we're curious what you'll accomplish, but you won't have people hanging off your every update until you have something to show which is really awesome.

It's one of the challenges of making a TC.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the advice!

searches harddrive for awesome things to show off...

Okay, so today I modelled another ship, and established that yes, I could legally use planet textures from the Celestia Motherlode in my TC. I also started checking out the alpha for MC4 so I know what I have to look forward to. I have 7 more ships to model before I can move onto stuff that's more fun. I hope to have modelled all of my ships by friday (At least. Probably I'll be done sooner.)

I don't have anything 'awesome' to show off right now. I'm really not worried about that though; all I need to do is finish this TC and everyone will agree that THAT is awesome 😉

Okay, great news! If you've been keeping up on the updates, you will see that I had anticipated having all of my ships completed by friday. I got them done today. Now I can move on to stuff that's more fun!!

Okay, today I ported all of my ships into the plugin file, so I'm ready for buisiness. To celebrate the occasion, here's a mockup featuring the Cyclone Merc Capital Ship (background) the Bobcat Merc Light Fighter (4, background) the Harbinger Heavy Fighter (2, foreground) and the Trawler Merchant Capital Ship (a freighter, basically. Foreground, running away.)

Feel free to post your opinion of my work so far. Constructive criticism is welcome. And yes, the picture is small, but you'll get the full size image when you download my finished TC.

WOHOOO!!!! I'm THIS MUCH CLOSER to releaseing the teaser! SEE 'EM AND WEEP!!!!

NOW what do you have to say?!!? Pretty soon I'll be able to boot it up and shoot stuff!