Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?

I'm a poor, starving would-be plugins developer and I can't afford all those fancy, first hand shiny new graphics... 😞 would anyone have some secondhand but still usable graphics to share? 😉

No, more seriously, I'm yet an other one of those people starting his TC. I know, I know, 90% of them are never finished, and yes, mine will quite possibly end like that too - I'd still like to try though 😉 Anyway, while I can do 3D work, I'm not very good at it, and if I want to get something running a bit fast, I'd rather limit graphic work as much as possible - and the easiest way to do that would be to reuse existing ones. So, who has a plugin or two with nice graphics that I could reuse, with full credits given of course?

In particular, my most pressing needs right now are space stations of two kinds: "solar collectors" (fairly small stations with as large as possible sun panels) and "archologies" (very large stations which looks like they could be inhabited by several hundred thousand people). Fairly old-looking ships of every kind would be very appreciated too.

Thanks!

I would donate my entire TCs worth of graphics to anyone who actually had a finished product that only lacked graphics. Seriously: I'd end my chances of ever really finishing mine to see another actually released.

http://www.evula.com/shipyard/ has some ships and stuff. I don't think there's space station graphics but when it comes to wierd ships, there's some pretty wird ones there. That's all I can think of that's not stealing from other plugins.

@rmx256, on Sep 24 2006, 09:07 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I would donate my entire TCs worth of graphics to anyone who actually had a finished product that only lacked graphics. Seriously: I'd end my chances of ever really finishing mine to see another actually released.

I'm close to having a half-finished product. EVN Firefly Part 1 really just requires writing to get it to a "finished" state, and I'm making slow but sure progress on that.

Of course, Part 2 will be a whole 'nother ball game. But hopefully Part 1 will be impressive enough that I'll get a bit more help onboard for the second half, and improve part 1 in the bargain.

For those keeping track.....yes, it was originally planned for three parts. It may still be. But the way things are lining up, it seems like two parts will be enough.

Word of advice to all new plugin makers: Slow but steady is the way to go. If you do a whole lot at once and then burn out for six months before surging again, it'll take longer overall.

@lindley, on Sep 24 2006, 11:19 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

Word of advice to all new plugin makers: Slow but steady is the way to go. If you do a whole lot at once and then burn out for six months before surging again, it'll take longer overall.

I second that. I need to try to get in my 'once a week' updates routine on CTC again...

@rmx256, on Sep 24 2006, 11:07 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

Yeah, I know the feeling (not from EV moding, but other projects). The "finished but only lacking graphics" requirement kinda kills it for me, though 😉

@cmdr--quigly, on Sep 25 2006, 04:37 AM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

http://www.evula.com/shipyard/ has some ships and stuff. I don't think there's space station graphics but when it comes to wierd ships, there's some pretty wird ones there. That's all I can think of that's not stealing from other plugins.

I had a look at it and there are little there that fits with what I need. However, the Polycon maker has nicely allowed me to use his for the time being, which solves my initial needs. The few things I absolutely need which neither EVN nor Polycon can provide I'll just make myself. That said, more choice would be nice, so if anyone else is ready to have me borrow some graphics, that would be cool too 😉

My small Shipyard.
There was a topic some time ago with more shipyards. I am struggling to find it though. I remember Onyx having some sweet ships.

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 25 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

@modesty-blaise, on Sep 25 2006, 11:36 AM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I remember Onyx having some sweet ships.

http://onyxshipyard.net/

I'm not sure what the topic you're referring to is, but the recent topic about Onyx's Shipyard included some comments about most of the old shipyards being down.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 25 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

@modesty-blaise, on Sep 25 2006, 08:36 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

My small Shipyard.
There was a topic some time ago with more shipyards. I am struggling to find it though. I remember Onyx having some sweet ships.

Hey, cool StarCraft ships 🙂 I might borrow one or two if that's ok with you. Would you have the 3D models? That would be even better. Of course, I would give full credits.

As for Onyx's, many of those would be of help for me if only they were not so small... I need a good giant freighter for exemple, and while his freighters model looks cool, they are frigate-sized by EVN standards.

@kinniken, on Sep 25 2006, 08:29 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

Hey, cool StarCraft ships 🙂 I might borrow one or two if that's ok with you. Would you have the 3D models? That would be even better. Of course, I would give full credits.

As for Onyx's, many of those would be of help for me if only they were not so small... I need a good giant freighter for exemple, and while his freighters model looks cool, they are frigate-sized by EVN standards.

I have the models, but why do you want them?

@modesty-blaise, on Sep 25 2006, 10:45 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I have the models, but why do you want them?

Mainly so I can adjust their size and possibly a bit later start colouring parts of them to match govs instead of that butt-ugly gov colour feature (but that's only doable when I can do it for all the military ships of one government...).

Hmmm, since I'm not aiming for Nova quality+ graphics, but rather at least EVO, those shipyards might provide all I need for CTC, since its small.

Though custom sounds is still an issue...

@rmx256, on Sep 24 2006, 02:07 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I'll keep you in mind. 3 to F years (estimated completion date for Ashen Galaxy) from now I'll contact you and get you to send me the graphics 😛

@kinniken, on Sep 25 2006, 08:48 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

Mainly so I can adjust their size and possibly a bit later start colouring parts of them to match govs instead of that butt-ugly gov colour feature (but that's only doable when I can do it for all the military ships of one government...).

You can just get the PICT files from the RLEs and start tweaking them in Photoshop. Both EVNEW and DeRLE(is that the name) can do that I think. Unless you have C4D I don't think the 3D models will help you. They are not UV textured, and I don't know if there is any format which will transfer materials properly between applications.

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 26 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

Actually, I do have C4D and I'm using it for my own graphics 😉 But well, I would understand you not wanting to distribute the 3D models around... Photoshop should do. Thanks.

@rmx256, on Sep 24 2006, 04:07 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I might take you up on that... Seriously... no really. I'll PM you when I'm done ok?

Meowx Shipyards is still up, and Meowx's "Resource Freighter 3" sub-site links to lots of other old sites by other people... some of them probably still work. 🙂

I added another ship to my shipyard.
A Terran Battle Cruiser.

The man behind this incredible ship is not me, but Arion. It has been posted in the gallery earlier so you might have seen it before.

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 30 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

@modesty-blaise, on Sep 30 2006, 07:58 PM, said in Cheap, second-hand graphics anywhere?:

I added another ship to my shipyard.
A Terran Battle Cruiser.

The man behind this incredible ship is not me, but Arion. It has been posted in the gallery earlier so you might have seen it before.

It looks fantastic! I'll have to see if I can find a use for a ship looking so mighty.