I'm well into developing a TC....

Okay, so as of today, here is what I have acheived so far:

I learned that I need to re-render ALL of my planets AND ships.

I built the basis of my TC; about 15 or so systems, three of which have planets and one of which is a two star system. I also made a start on the dudes, govs, and descs. Lastly, I am working on a concept for a unique style of target pict; basically, the idea is that since in theory every ship has its own set of equipped outfits, the target pict shows what outfits are detected onboard a target ship.

I'm feeling pretty good, considering that I need to re-render all of my graphics. Starting up your TC and reading your descs really improves one's mood, even if you aren't done. And a toast, before I depart;

THIS I BEGAN, AND THIS I COMPLETE!!

Helloooooo? I know that 46 people have been here since yesterday. I don't expect people to hang off of my every update, but a comment now and then would be nice. It's been at least 4 days since I recieved a reply, and that had nothing to do with my topic. This could get discouraging.

<insert comment here>

Seriously, though, I think that the fact that 46 people have been here since yesterday is a motivator in itself. No one can really comment without saying "that sounds cool." without seeing the plug, and most people have already said that so they don't want to say it again. Also, I check for updates on this every day, so that's one person. 🙂

That's true. And thanks-it's encouraging that I can count on you showing up to check out the scene every day 😉 . Okay, I'll work with light heart from here on 🙂 .

I'm following the topic, but I really don't have any feedback left to give right now.

, but I really don't have any feedback left to give right now.

It's enough to merely know people still have some interest, and that I'm not just talking to myself, so thanks for posting! I'll post some updates later.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 25 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

Okay, I've re-rendered my planets and re-imported a few of them into my plugin file. Tomorrow I'll finish that up and start on re-rendering the ships.

Okay, enough of my ships are re-rendered that I can continue developing the TC's other elements (misn's, spobs, descs, etc. etc.), and all my planets are ready for use. Not only are my ships re-rendered, though, I ALSO discovered a way to cut rendering time down by at least a factor of five, maybe more. And here's a screenshot with v2.0 renders!!

Looks pretty cool; you're gonna want to make an interface bar of your own for your TC, though.

Dibs on making the sidebar!

Looks pretty cool;

Thanks! I'm very proud of how it is turning out so far. The planet in the background is one of my favourites-I took some pains to make sure that the planet graphic looked just so.

you're gonna want to make an interface bar of your own for your TC, though.

I agree. I haven't decided on the style to use for the interface bar; suggestions are welcome! Basically the only idea I have right now is that it will most likely look a lot like the standard interface bar, with a more beat up appearance.

Dibs on making the sidebar!

Thanks for offering! If I decide to contract out the interface bar, you'll be my first choice!! (especially since I've already seen what quality of interface bar you can make in your sidebar topic)

@shlimazel, on Aug 27 2007, 10:50 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Thanks for offering! If I decide to contract out the interface bar, you'll be my first choice!! (especially since I've already seen what quality of interface bar you can make in your sidebar topic)

SCORE! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. runs around doing the happy dance

Enthusiasm is a welcome change around here.....

Yes, I'm glad to see people who have some enthusiasm about giving me a hand 😉 That makes all the horrible trials worth the effort! (kidding)

Well, today I got all but 5 of my ships re-rendered. Not as much as I'd hoped to get done, but I'm glad it's done anyway. I'll finish re-rendering and re-importing the ship graphics tomorrow, and then I'll get to work on adding my custom shield glows. I'd like everyone's opinion on a decision I need to make. What do you think about the whole buying subsystems scheme? Do you think that it'd be cool to need to buy engines and stuff, or would you prefer to just buy outfits and say they're engines and stuff? Tell me what you think!

So ships would come without any engines at all?

A movement speed of 0 untill you purchase propulsion?

The idea sounds good but it has a problem - what if you buy a ship but don't have enough money for an engine?

Simple. Set the engine to be included. When you sell it, boom. No speed. No ship would be sold without an engine, right? Would you buy a car and an engine separately? The method allows you to upgrade and downgrade (short on funds?) your engine, which I think is a great concept.

Or maybe this could be for your first ship only; you just get the chassis, which comes with minimal engine and life support capabilities, but nothing else, and must build it up to an actual ship. Until you build it up, you can't buy another ship. I think that would be pretty cool.

So ships would come without any engines at all?

A movement speed of 0 untill you purchase propulsion?

Yeah, that's about the gist of it.

The idea sounds good but it has a problem - what if you buy a ship but don't have enough money for an engine?

That wouldn't become a problem, because all of the ships have engine outfits mounted on the ship when you buy it like Cosmic Nusiance said. You know how you can find used ships in stock nova that have outfits on them? It would look kind of like that.

Or maybe this could be for your first ship only; you just get the chassis, which comes with minimal engine and life support capabilities, but nothing else, and must build it up to an actual ship. Until you build it up, you can't buy another ship. I think that would be pretty cool.

That is a pretty cool idea. I don't know if I can use it, but thanks anyway!

Okay, I guess the verdict is as so; YOU MUST BUY ENGINES!!!!! Thanks for posting your opinions!
In the same vein as this discussion, I decided that all energy weapons drain fuel, but all ships have reactors. So spraying and praying will cost you energy, but because you have a reactor, you can regain the lost energy at a speed equal to the amount of cash you put down on the reactor.

Okay, I have a couple of minor problems. First, ships that are members of my mercenary government just jump into a system and leave again. Second, there appears to be no jump delay from when I hit the button and when the ship leaves the system. That looks kind of funny, and I'd like to fix it.