Revenant

Sort of off topic at this point, but I just thought of this:

About the Titan name thing, someone should name a ship "Titian", in their plug, after the Venetian master, and see if anyone notices.

@king_of_manticores, on Jan 22 2008, 03:50 AM, said in Revenant:

Playing with "colossal" you could get "Colossus". I was going to use that idea, though...
Hmmm... wait. Interstellar warfare sponsors Earth geography lessons? I'll have to tell the UNE to stop doing that. The only time interstellar warfare should work with geography lessons is to find the military camp.

Still, your work is great. 'No news is good news'. 😄 That would be great, but most would forget about that idea if summer break came along and you didn't get the news. 😄

Colossus is totally over-used in Sci-Fi too 😛

@phlogios, on Jan 22 2008, 08:47 AM, said in Revenant:

Colossus is totally over-used in Sci-Fi too 😛

So go with Big'un or Oversize. Or simply the " Big " or " Large Class Freighter."

Argentinosaurus huinculensis

@crusader-alpha, on Jan 22 2008, 05:06 PM, said in Revenant:

Argentinosaurus huinculensis

Yay! Sauropod Class! :laugh:

EDIT: Oo. Just realized that I actually can bring this back to, or at least towards, the topic of the thread.

Titanosaur Class.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 22 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

With regard to Titan et al.:

I've always wanted to do a TC that derived the names of it's factions at least in part from ancient mythology, so I'm pleased to see Persephone, Bastet etc.

As far as really-big-ships go, there's always the Juggernaut. Though I think that redubbed xmen cartoon might have ruined the seriousness of that word. More serious ones: Gargantua, Mastodon (a stretch but it could work depending on your taste and flavor), and after that, crossing into words that evoke badass as opposed to size: Reaver, Devourer, etc. I swear I'm not plagiarising Starcraft. I don't know how intense this ship is meant to be, but those work for the truly epic ones.

Anyway, good luck with the etymological portion of your quest. It's nice when a plug has a backstory to match its graphics and gameplay, and if Revenant's plot is half as good as its sprites, it looks like we'll be in for a great read.

Given that corporations are trying to market their freighters to potential customers, they're probably going to choose familiar names with familiar connotations. Militaries, on the other hand, have freer reign to make names that evoke fear or just sound plain cool 😄

As for the backstory and plot, we believe you'll be pleasantly surprised when we release...to say the least.

There is actually a Reaver in Anathema as well (and a Chimera, Myrmidon, Hydra... hmm, I'm really way too much into this Greek thing).

There really comes a point at which you long for things like "battleship," "destroyer," and "bomber" again.

I vote for Juggernaut, as a tribute to Marathon. Every game needs a Marathon tribute.

I vote for the Venus of Urbino

hehe

I think I'm just going to keep the current naming scheme. I have more pressing issues vying for my time, such as setting up the new website. 😄

Actually, Archon, those names are very interesting. Shame I never thought of Chimera before.... guess a trip to Wikipedia about mythological creatures is in my future. And I am actually using the name "Bomber" as one of my ship names. And so is "Battleship", or at least it is part of one ship's name.

Sasmut, Tchehes, Hui, Nuit...

Sometimes I feel that ships with one word names just doesn't seem realistic. Hence why I liked the long names in Nova. For example, from Colosseum, the Lynx's full name is the "Tyrekon Docks NT-034G Lynx Assault Fighter". Of course, you won't see the while flying around, but it's still there and is the "official" name.

Meh, don't know if everyone here does that or nobody here does that. Just sort of a random rant that's on-topic, since the discussion at the moment is ship names.

@joshtigerheart, on Jan 24 2008, 09:23 PM, said in Revenant:

Sometimes I feel that ships with one word names just doesn't seem realistic. Hence why I liked the long names in Nova. For example, from Colosseum, the Lynx's full name is the "Tyrekon Docks NT-034G Lynx Assault Fighter". Of course, you won't see the while flying around, but it's still there and is the "official" name.

Ever since the original EV, all ships have had "Long" names that were displayed when you purchased a ship. 😛

I've found through experimentation that I prefer most ships to have technical-sounding names, like the E-11 Sentinel Missile Frigate or Claymore class Scimitar Battlecruiser – Trebuchet Subvariant –. However, a well-placed very short name can invoke a certain deviation from the mean that, in my mind, invokes a sense of the elite. For example, along with their fleet of Federation E-41 Destroyers and Federation F-29 Anacondas, the Feds may send in a few Reavers. It's like they don't need anything else, that's just what they are.

@archon, on Jan 24 2008, 07:59 PM, said in Revenant:

I've found through experimentation that I prefer most ships to have technical-sounding names, like the E-11 Sentinel Missile Frigate or Claymore class Scimitar Battlecruiser – Trebuchet Subvariant –. However, a well-placed very short name can invoke a certain deviation from the mean that, in my mind, invokes a sense of the elite. For example, along with their fleet of Federation E-41 Destroyers and Federation F-29 Anacondas, the Feds may send in a few Reavers. It's like they don't need anything else, that's just what they are.

I agree, saving the short, "scary" names for either elite or special ships is a good way of naming ships. It'd be cool if the elite ships couldn't be bought, so that capturing one gives the player a unique ship, with a really cool name. 😉

This post has been edited by EV Wolf : 25 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I will third that opinion.

@ev-wolf, on Jan 25 2008, 09:57 PM, said in Revenant:

It'd be cool if the elite ships couldn't be bought, so that capturing one gives the player a unique ship, with a really cool name. 😉

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'd probably have to increase the ship's crew from 1 though. :laugh:

@archon, on Jan 24 2008, 07:59 PM, said in Revenant:

A very good opinion. Technical sounds very interesting due to the fact that it does not leave one bored with a crappy name. Rather than just naming the Fed Carrier the "Carrier", it makes more sense to give it some other names, like "Federation E-60 Carrier".

@ev-wolf, on Jan 25 2008, 01:57 PM, said in Revenant:

I agree, saving the short, "scary" names for either elite or special ships is a good way of naming ships.

This is a pretty good opinion too. It wouldn't be a good idea to name an awesome cruiser the "Cruiser". Name it like the "Scythe Battleship".