Revenant

@ev-wolf, on Jan 25 2008, 03:57 PM, said in Revenant:

It'd be cool if the elite ships couldn't be bought, so that capturing one gives the player a unique ship, with a really cool name. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That would be interesting, wouldn't it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@verb, on Jan 24 2008, 09:35 PM, said in Revenant:

Ever since the original EV, all ships have had "Long" names that were displayed when you purchased a ship. ๐Ÿ˜›

Yeah, I remember that, but in Nova they were more obvious. I was more or less ranting anyways. I mean, at least for humans, nobody just calls a car a (let's say) buggy. You might call it buggy during normal conversation, but the real name would include the manufacturer, a model name, brand name, year, engine, and/or some other random bits thrown in. Likewise, the military doesn't just call them Hornets, they have longer names (can't remember them right now). Hence I feel the same should be the same for spacecraft, if just for humans. Aliens can get away with it, being all alien and everything.

@joshtigerheart, on Jan 26 2008, 03:15 AM, said in Revenant:

Aliens can get away with it, being all alien and everything.

Overprivileged alien bastards.

i didn't know there was someone names Aether on these boards.

well, sir. you will be interested to hear that the central planet of the Last Strain in EVA (My TC.) is called Aether.

as for ship names, real animals work just as well.

Jaguar,
Panther,
Tiger,
Bonobo,
Eagle,
Etc.

@yamfries, on Jan 26 2008, 05:00 AM, said in Revenant:

Jaguar,
Panther,
Tiger,
Bonobo,
Eagle,
Etc.

Puma?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TyesI7rxPGQ

Chupathingy.

Chupacabra. You hear about them surprisingly often out here in the west/southwest...

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 26 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

@jacabyte, on Jan 26 2008, 01:57 PM, said in Revenant:

Chupacabra. You hear about them surprisingly often out here in the west/southwest...

Another one doesn't get the reference. ๐Ÿ˜›

The suggested name for a Warthog in Red vs. Blue. Yeah, yeah...

Is it sad that I thought of Chupathingy immediately after seeing the word Puma? I didn't even notice the link in Archon's post until just now. ๐Ÿ˜›

Chupaca. It sounds like Han Solo's wookie friend ๐Ÿ˜›

@yamfries, on Jan 26 2008, 12:00 AM, said in Revenant:

i didn't know there was someone names Aether on these boards.

Indeed. I registered a while ago and went dormant. Now I've returned out of the...Aether, I guess. I look forward to joining/allying with/fighting against the Gรณvt whose homeworld is so named.

I completely agree that most ships benefit from lengthy names, a la the US Airforce with its F/A18-(A through F or whatever) Hornet Fighter/Ground Attack Aircraft. The รบber ships benefit from the cool names, as do aliens, because the names are often given by humans or rough translations of the alien words, and the Polaris, because it parallels the simplicity and symetry of their technology.

@aether, on Jan 27 2008, 12:03 AM, said in Revenant:

I completely agree that most ships benefit from lengthy names, a la the US Airforce with its F/A18-(A through F or whatever) Hornet Fighter/Ground Attack Aircraft. The รบber ships benefit from the cool names, as do aliens, because the names are often given by humans or rough translations of the alien words, and the Polaris, because it parallels the simplicity and symetry of their technology.

Hate to do this but the F/A-18A - F is a US Navy Aircraft. (Sorry saying that the air force used it just bothered me) But I do agree that if you want to have a ship name from a western earth culture you should designate it with letters like F/A for fighter attack. But as for the naming of the Polaris ships like Aether said, needs to be translated but also there is a diffrence in culture between the polaris and federation, and it is easily seen in the ship naming. Since the polaris hate bureaucracy. (They said that in a misson once, I dont remember when) And the federation is full of it. Thereforce Culture = How ships are named. So if there was a western culture in Revenant go for more numbered and lettered names like F/A-?? and ect. As for a more eastern culture go for more natural names like in japanese culture. So a Tsunami Class carrier would be appropriate.

the Kre'Te'Asulk, otherwise known as the "Soul Mirror." is the largest ship in EV Apophs. (it's an alien ship.)

Ah, I stand corrected. I didn't mean to sound authoritative on warplanes (I'm far from an authority). I wonder if some system could be incorporated to include codenames, like the ones NATO used for Soviet aircraft (Foxbat et al). Then again that might be needlessly complex. Sometimes "Viper" is just better.

I'm not sure trying to cram the long name to where the one or two word names usually go works out so well. For example, if the F/A-18A Hornet was in a EV plug, it'd probably just be called a Hornet while in flight and in general speaking. Naturally, you're not going to refer to a ship as a Enyon Shipyards 350-Z 2145 Lightstar Corvette on a normal basis, but would rather just call it a Lightstar or Corvette for short (plus the long name wouldn't fit in most dialogues). But you would see it in the shipyard info and when buying it.

And the Polaris ship names aren't translated, that's what they call them.

@yamfries, on Jan 27 2008, 12:56 PM, said in Revenant:

the Kre'Te'Asulk, otherwise known as the "Soul Mirror." is the largest ship in EV Apophs. (it's an alien ship.)

Just what we need, more alien names with apostrophes...

@orcaloverbri9, on Jan 27 2008, 11:44 AM, said in Revenant:

But apostrophe always equals alien!

:mellow:

As for ship names, I personally use just word names except for the V-4 Sabre, because it rolls of the tongue nicely.

@orcaloverbri9, on Jan 27 2008, 12:44 PM, said in Revenant:

I actually have a species that uses apostrophes in my novel, but I took it a step forward and combined it with rules for syllables as well. For example, the names of males have a one syllable segment, followed by the apostrophe, and then a two syllable segment. Reverse it for females. Then there's other rules for locations, titles, etc.

I'm personally opposed to the use of apostrophes anywhere they can be avoided. It's just so overdone. There is one apostrophized name in Anathema, but you can only create so many Auroran names before it becomes ridiculous not to have one. :laugh: