GTW Host Order

Okay, well just so you all know, I'm going to be gone for about a week or so. If the current game ends before the 8th, you can either wait for me to get back, or have the next person in line host.

Oh, what the heck, I'll host in place of Manta. I have an idea for a GTW game that I wrote down several months ago still laying on my hard drive, I think it might be time to use it.

After taking a look at my schedule, I think I need to be more realistic; I don't believe that I'll be able to host any time soon. I've got too much stuff I want to do. Sorry 😞

I've updated the list to reflect everyone's comments.

I'd like to book a slot around game 36 or so. Is that okay?

You should probably wait until we're a lot closer to game 36 if you're set on that number.

Well, everyone, we're now down to zero floating hosts. It's RJC Ultra, EKHawkman, and Rebelious up next. So... if anyone's interested? Sign up.

I'd like to host again, but what with school and all (my senior year!) I don't know how much time I'll have to plan a good game.

I might host again, but not any time soon, I'm afraid. Too much to worry about at the moment.

I'll host one.

You've been added to the floating hosts list.

I would like to host.

Before you start scoffing and saying 'no' as a knee-jerk reaction, there are a few factors you should take into account:  

1\. I have been studying old games with Eugene Chin recently, to upgrade my strategy. During this, the subjects of Games 17 and 22 came up, and I finally found out the mistakes I had made, and how to avoid them.  

2\. I'm going to post the rule sheet for my proposed game below. I'll adhere to this rule sheet while hosting the game. If you believe there is an imbalance in my proposed ruleset, just say so and I can revise it. This way, we can find problems _before_ the game starts, not after it's over.  

Now:  

PROPOSED RULE SHEET FOR GAME OF GTW  

1\. There will be 2 evil roles, one IA role, one SDI role, and one role known as the Detective.  

2\. The evil roles will work as standard, except that the evil players can (exactly _once_ in the game) choose to 'Frame' someone. This is an action that takes place concurrently to the night-kill at the end of the turn. The effect of Framing someone is that if they are lynched or investigated in the future, their role will show up as 'evil'.   

3\. The IA role will work as standard.  

4\. The SDI role will be able to protect one player from night-kills each round. If the protection is actually _used_ , the SDI must wait one turn before he can resume protecting people.  

5\. The Detective has the ability, by PMing the host, to accuse another player exactly once. This will reveal that player to be the detective. The actual accusation will take place after the lynching, but before the night-kill. Whoever the Detective accuses will be removed from the game for 1 round. If they are evil, the accused will be permanently removed from the game. However, if the accused is _not_ evil, he will be returned to the game, and the Detective will be removed instead.  

6\. The roles of players will be revealed on their death, _if_ they were lynched. If they were night-killed, their role will only be revealed if they are the SDI or the Detective, and then after a delay of 1 round.  

7\. Ties will be handled by leaving both parties alive.  

8\. PMing will be prohibited, except in the case of the evil players (and any messages going to and/or from the game host.)  

9\. "No Lynch" votes will be treated as abstentions.  

10\. If a player displays no activity (i.e. doesn't post at _all_ ) for 2 rounds consecutively, they will be removed from the game.  

11\. Finally, rounds will end at a specified time, or earlier at the host's discretion if all have voted.  

~This ruleset is in accordance with mrxak's 10 GTW Commandments~  

How does that sound?   

Eugene Chin actually agreed with all that? I find it hard to believe.

What I told him to do was create such a document, and let people point out any mistakes in it before he tried to run his next game.

This is the first time I've seen this document, however.

(Edit)
At a glance, the only major alterations are the Traitor's "Once-per-Game" Frame ability, and the Detective and his "Accuse" mechanic.

Are the I.A. and Detective separate? At first glance, I didn't realize they were, and thought that the "Accuse" mechanic was tacked onto the I.A.

Fixing the number of Traitors you have, before you know how many players you'll have, is a mistake. You should determine how many Traitors are in the game based on the size of the player base, not fix it at Two beforehand.

Also, there should not be more Innocent Special Roles than there are Traitors.

Why would the I.A.'s role not get revealed if he were NightKilled?

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 30 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

At a glance, the only major alterations are the Traitor's "Once-per-Game" Frame ability, and the Detective and his "Accuse" mechanic.

That's pretty much it.

Are the I.A. and Detective separate? At first glance, I didn't realize they were, and thought that the "Accuse" mechanic was tacked onto the I.A.

Yes. They are two separate roles.

EDIT: One way to think about it is to think of the Detective role as a modified Assassin role, with a caveat or two.

Fixing the number of Traitors you have, before you know how many players you'll have, is a mistake. You should determine how many Traitors are in the game based on the size of the player base, not fix it at Two beforehand.

The actual number of evil players vs IAs is set at 2/1 to account for a small player base (<16). In the event the game is larger than that, the number of traitors vs the number of IAs would be upgraded to 3/2.

Also, there should not be more Innocent Special Roles than there are Traitors.

Hmmmmm.... good point... not sure what to do about that. Maybe forget about the SDI role?

Why would the I.A.'s role not get revealed if he were NightKilled?

Sorry. Let's change that: If you are night-killed, your role will not be revealed, period. I had made it the other way earlier to fit with the theme I'd cooked up for the game, but it doesn't really matter.

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 30 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

I can't host for awhile, I may be able to play a game but I always miss these sign ups. SIB if you are allowed to host put me on the list even if I can't make it.

Um... does anybody have any opinion of my hosting idea at all?

@soitbegins, on Sep 9 2008, 03:25 PM, said in GTW Host Order:

Um... does anybody have any opinion of my hosting idea at all?

Yea, I've got an opinion. Don't host. I don't want to have to tell everyone " I told you so " twice because of your hosting. I would care to point out that you promised to be more reasonable last time and failed miserably. Frankly I don't believe that anyone should trust you to host again, you already had a second chance and blew it.

While I have had to drop out of playing because of school and family troubles, I still enjoy reading and trying to keep up with GTW.

@manta, on Sep 15 2008, 02:41 PM, said in GTW Host Order:

Yea, I've got an opinion. Don't host.

Manta: You may have noticed the detailed plan of rules for a GTW game I've drawn up several posts above this one. If I am allowed to host again, I will follow that plan EXACTLY. No screwy stuff. In the first two games, I didn't actually realize what I was doing wrong; only after talking them over (and in some cases, carefully examining them) was I able to find my mistakes. I won't make those mistakes again.

Finally, if you have constructive criticism, please make it. I emphasize 'constructive' here, because you haven't submitted any objections to my hosting plan-- only me myself. I can't really rebut what happened in the past, but I can make sure it doesn't happen again in the future-- even if I host another game of GTW!! I'm not asking you to give me another chance, but I would like for you to think. I've learned a LOT since game 22. I've been through the archives of every game of GTW on the Ambrosia Forums, analyzing them. I'm already feeling that I've become better player-- I believe that I've finally become a worthwhile host as well. I hope that these arguments may be able to change your opinions.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm firmly in the no hosting for SoItBegins camp.