Nebula: Operation High Tide

Working on a Special Forces Starbridge. Screenies for Great Justice™:
Attached File Picture_29.png (30.66K)
Number of downloads: 28

It's not finished yet, and it will hopefully look a bit more Starbridge-ey once the engines are bolted on the back. And yeah, I can't texture it, so I'll need someone to do it for me or point me in the right direction.

Another pic:
Attached File Picture_30.jpg (99.94K)
Number of downloads: 22
Yay for the file being 99.94K out of a maximum 100!

Didn't like the direction it was going, so I started over. Here's the housing/armor segments so far:

Attached File Picture_31.jpg (50.13K)
Number of downloads: 24

@cosmic_nusiance, on Oct 6 2010, 06:54 PM, said in Nebula: Operation High Tide:

It's not finished yet, and it will hopefully look a bit more Starbridge-ey once the engines are bolted on the back. And yeah, I can't texture it, so I'll need someone to do it for me or point me in the right direction.

Do you mean you lack the software to texture it, or the know-how? If it's the software, I think there are several freeware graphics programs in my sig (GIMP). If the know-how, you can texture in sketchup, but it's tough on curved surfaces - I'd recommend making textures and setting them to "projected". Coming up with a graphic style is a way around texturing all together, which we've discussed and explored in the "Delphi Ship Creations" thread.

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 07 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

@meaker-vi, on Oct 7 2010, 10:49 AM, said in Nebula: Operation High Tide:

Do you mean you lack the software to texture it, or the know-how? If it's the software, I think there are several freeware graphics programs in my sig (GIMP). If the know-how, you can texture in sketchup, but it's tough on curved surfaces - I'd recommend making textures and setting them to "projected". Coming up with a graphic style is a way around texturing all together, which we've discussed and explored in the "Delphi Ship Creations" thread.

I lack the know-how. Given the rendering (or lack therof) in Sketchup, would it be better to download blender and render there? If that's the case, I should probably texture in blender as well.

If by graphic style you're referring to using wireframes and pho'shop to create a hologram look, I'm open to that for outfits (especially the experimental ones), but I'd prefer to have a more traditional ship image.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 07 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

Considering the small size of ships in Nova you could probably get away with doing a detailed model and the just use materials and it should still look ok. Usually it's done the other way in games to make it run more smoothly but with pre-rendered sprites it doesn't really matter. That is if sketch-up can do material, I've never used it so I don't know

@peko, on Oct 7 2010, 02:51 PM, said in Nebula: Operation High Tide:

Considering the small size of ships in Nova you could probably get away with doing a detailed model and the just use materials and it should still look ok. Usually it's done the other way in games to make it run more smoothly but with pre-rendered sprites it doesn't really matter. That is if sketch-up can do material, I've never used it so I don't know

I think it kinda-sorta can. I'm not worried so much about the sprite as the large shipyard image. It just wouldn't be complete without it.

ZOMG more 3D!
Attached File Picture_22.png (18.41K)
Number of downloads: 10
Attached File Picture_23.png (19.17K)
Number of downloads: 9
WIP. Made after noting that the IR Missile had fins. In SPACE. Wut. So yeah. This beast is going to have an epic turn radius. Well, epically tiny. And yes, it looks like a slimmed down Hellhound. That was intentional.

Attached File Picture_20.png (30.78K)
Number of downloads: 14
Attached File Picture_21.png (38.77K)
Number of downloads: 12
Heavily modified Medium Blaster (again, WIP).

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 25 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

Attached File Picture_25.png (39.36K)
Number of downloads: 13
Engine for Military Starbridge

Attached File Picture_26.png (27.99K)
Number of downloads: 11
Mini Gravimetric missile, for those who don't like being jammed but also don't like the weight (not to scale with the guy).

Nice, looking good. Any chance you could give me a link for DOA? If not, does Geek still have it? I'm still not entirely sure what the story is for this series.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Oct 25 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice, looking good. Any chance you could give me a link for DOA? If not, does Geek still have it? I'm still not entirely sure what the story is for this series.

I'm sure it's on one of my backup drives somewhere, it's just a question of which one. I'll be trying to get a few other files from the same place next time I'm at my dad's house, so I'll see if I can find it for you. You'd probably be better off checking with Geek, assuming he's still on here. Be warned, it kind of sucks.

The story has to do with a Federation Black Ops group (whos missions are less "pick up this random spy dude and then bring him back for a pat on the back" and more "blow a ton of stuff up to cripple this supply line"). They discover that the Aurorans are developing particle shielding and weapons (including a new supercarrier) at a rate much faster than expected. Meanwhile, the Feddies start developing anti-armor weapons as well as creating hybrid organic-inorganic ships with a lot of polaris attributes using stolen tech. Meanwhile, the player discovers what's really up with Kont and the Hopla system (with similar mysterious disappearances), and how the effects of the discovery have been constantly changing known space, starting with the development of the Hypergate system way back when. The name "Nebula" refers to the Hopla nebula in which Kont is located. Expect lots of new tech, a (hopefully) better Fed storyline (more like the Fed storyline you always wanted to play), and a dozen or so new systems, as well as a new race.