I'm well into developing a TC....

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 24 2007, 10:18 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Perfection still eludes me...blast!

Join the club. 😄

Okay, time for today's update! I made a number of small adjustments, and added a new system that increases your 'level' when you get to the next skill level. So when you go from No Ability to Little Ability, you go up to level one and you get more skilled, improving your ship's speed, acceleration, etc. This adds a 'personal advancement' element to EV nova.

What does everyone think?

@shlimazel, on Sep 25 2007, 03:07 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Okay, time for today's update! I made a number of small adjustments, and added a new system that increases your 'level' when you get to the next skill level. So when you go from No Ability to Little Ability, you go up to level one and you get more skilled, improving your ship's speed, acceleration, etc. This adds a 'personal advancement' element to EV nova.

What does everyone think?

Do you do that with missions that require combat ratings and auto-abort? Or is there another way to do it...?

That's essentially how it works. I set it so that !bxxx is required for the mission to appear, and since you can't refuse the "mission" the OnAccept space has bxxx set in it. That's to make sure the mission doesn't pop up multiple times. Then you make an outfit that improves your hull, shields, turning, etc., and have the mission set to give you that outfit on accept with a gxxx. Then the next mission, available when you go up a level to the next combat rating, deletes the last 'level' outfit and grants the next, superior 'level' outfit. This allows for personal development of characters over time.

You found...

THE MEGA HULL!

Your armor and shielding have been upgraded!

cheesy zelda-like DU-DUUUUU! noise

Also, when you enter factions which activate the b511 analog, you get a 'Class'. For example, as a merchant marine you are given merchant marine training.

And sometimes, you can find a cave in the mountains which is full of Lost Relics of the Last Age. For example, +544 magic longswords.

@shlimazel, on Sep 26 2007, 11:29 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Also, when you enter factions which activate the b511 analog, you get a 'Class'. For example, as a merchant marine you are given merchant marine training.

And sometimes, you can find a cave in the mountains which is full of Lost Relics of the Last Age. For example, +544 magic longswords.

Kewl. Can't wait to try it out!

Oaky, time for today's update. I started adding used ships, and added an all-new ship for beginner players to fly.

You could also make Xxxx (transport to xxx system) and there have an outfiters. Then, the player gets to decide how they level up, and you can do the outfits, or 'levels' use contribute bits to control how they progress.

You could also make Xxxx (transport to xxx system) and there have an outfiters. Then, the player gets to decide how they level up, and you can do the outfits, or 'levels' use contribute bits to control how they progress.

That's a good idea too. The only thing is that I wanted a more natural system which just kind of happened, and allowed for you to actually get tougher as you carnage your way through legions of enemies, instead of never getting tougher until you buy a new outfit. It doesn't take you (the pilot) into account at all. Admittedly, the improvement isn't all that humongous, but it could make the difference between life and death.

But my plan gives the player a sense of choice. Hmm... should I choose this one, or that one? Instead of "Oh here you go you get this bonus."
"But I don't want that one, I want this one!"
"TOO BAD."

It's more realistic than sudden teleportation to the "LEVEL UP DIMENSION".

"Suddenly, you find yourself transported through space and time! Look, glowy stuff! Ooh, pretty bonus...."

You have NO options! Just good old self improvement.....

Okay, time for today's update. I downloaded Graphics Converter, which I'll use to produce higher quality shipyard and outfitter pictures. BluePlanet made a background for my new intro screen, which is now classified at the highest levels 😉
I'm gonna add a couple of new ships, and retexture my old ones soon; I already redid the Bobcat.

@shlimazel, on Sep 27 2007, 03:54 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

which is now classified at the highest levels

hacks into your computer remotely

Cool!

😄

And yes, I'm always watching. :blink:

Just like the Cleric...

(been watching The Codex; google it.)

Ugh. I think I've caught the bug, so don't expect any updates for a couple of days. When I'm sick, all I want to do is sit down and find some mindless kill-stuff game to play.

@shlimazel, on Sep 28 2007, 02:33 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Ugh. I think I've caught the bug, so don't expect any updates for a couple of days. When I'm sick, all I want to do is sit down and find some mindless kill-stuff game to play.

coughMarathoncough

coughGoodIdeacough

All that coughing can't be good for your throat. Get some cough drops.

Smarty-pants.