I'm well into developing a TC....

I don't mean to be picky, but in the loading screen, why are there star OVER the planets?

It's static on a screen. The surround is the console, and the middle is the screen, and the static is what's over the planets.

Transparent planets 😄

Okay, time for today's update! I added mission 6 in the Merchant Marine storyline, which is really REALLY cool. It's a lot cooler than all but one of the other missions so far, and I can't wait for release so that you can all play it 😉

Here is the coolest thing so far- Space ExoArmor!

Basically, it's a power armored space suit used for escaping from ships that are exploding. It is heavily armed (for a suit of power armor) and is capable of primitive maneuvering and flight. It has a jump drive, and it has the capability to recharge its energy tanks. It's combat abilities are about 49 hellhounds short of a pack, though, so you won't want to stay in one for long. It looks much better from above than it does close up.

Larger ships will have acess to escape ships, which are bigger and tougher. What do you think?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Must... Have... Exo... Armor... WANT!!!
😮 😮

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 21 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

I like it. Make one for me 😄 jk

HAHAHAHA!! That was really hard to make, glad everyone likes it.

Okay, time for today's update! I made the ExoArmor graphic. That is work enough for one day 😉

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 2 2007, 04:18 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

I like the button font. What font is it?

@shlimazel, on Sep 2 2007, 12:23 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

It's the one of the serpentine fonts available on this page. I love babylon 5 and that font is a favorite of mine.

Ah, I guess I should have read this topic before asking questions :rolleyes:

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 2 2007, 01:20 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

BTW, you'll have to include the font with your TC or else it'll just revert to the original font. Just FYI.

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 2 2007, 06:09 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

And Windows users can't use different fonts anyways.
Windows are stuck with the default font for Nova, just like they are for their resolution.
win EVN will automatically default to it's... um... default font regardless of what font you've specified.

Um, this isn't true. Win Nova will happily use new fonts, provided the font is installed. Just include the font file as Cosmic said and all will be fine. The .ttf files won't work on OS 9 but that's a minority of users so no biggie, though you may want to mention that in the read me.

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 4 2007, 03:20 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

So the only real reason to have seperate versions is so Windows users don't have to convert it themselves.

@shlimazel, on Sep 4 2007, 03:26 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

That's the other reason that I wanted two separate plugin files. That way I don't have hoards of new nova players who don't know how to convert plugins going

D00d, yur plgin sux, it dunt work andyu suk 2.

😉

But, seriously, it would be a good thing to just provide the preconverted windows version. It makes me look smart.

Plug-ins are extremely easy to convert, unless you use .sit(x). There is no need whatsoever to include two versions - you'll either be forcing people to download twice as much data as they need or cluttering up the addons pages with multiple versions of the same product. It is recommended (by people such as Zacha Pedro) and preferred to just have the one version.

This post has been edited by Guy : 21 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

So, they can use the just totally boss babylon 5 font I have? Cool! Thanks for letting me know. And I shouldn't include the windows version? Fine by me.

Ah, I guess I should have read this topic before asking questions

Yep. What do you think of it so far?

Well I just skimmed over it (10 pages!) but it sounds pretty good 🙂

The new main screen looks cool, however... the hue shift or whatever it was you did turned the previously reddish rust along the top to blue. Looks rather odd. Also, the planet in the top-right corner of the loading screen is, um, not round.

The new main screen looks cool, however... the hue shift or whatever it was you did turned the previously reddish rust along the top to blue. Looks rather odd. Also, the planet in the top-right corner of the loading screen is, um, not round.

The OBLONG planet... I may be redoing the intro screen, so I'll be sure to fix that when I do.

Well I just skimmed over it (10 pages!) but it sounds pretty good

Thanks! Glad to hear it.

Okay, time for today's update. I added two new landing pics (specifically, pics for my spacestation), revamped my shield glow, which looks much better now, and added a new weapon. JoshTigerheart wrote an intro desc for me, and I added it to the TC. It's really good, so here it is.

It was the year 2231 A.D. when the public first discovered the truth.  A lone news reporter, risking his life, had somehow managed to obtain top secret information and divulge it on the networks.  In short, the message was simple, but it caused a frenzy among the populace, leading to untold amounts of violence.  What was it that caused this sort of chaos?  Simple.

Earth was doomed.

Sixteen years earlier in 2215 A.D., a group of astronomers discovered a massive interstellar dust cloud on a circular approach to the sun.  Their subsequent studies revealed the horrifying truth that would cause whole populations on the colonies to wipe each other out.  For reasons now shrouded in the sands of time, this dust cloud would cause a reaction in the sun that would cause it to go super nova, destroying the entire Sol system.  Luckily, they also found they had twenty years to find some sort of solution to the dilemma.

The government, skeptical at first, found no way to stop this impending apocalypse.  However, they did find a way to escape it.  Immediately, they ordered the top secret construction of over a thousand Generation Arks, a kilometer long prototype ship capable of transporting two billion colonists to another star system.  The information was then given the highest classifications; the government knowing full well what would happen if the public found out.

Their fears were well founded when nuclear wars erupted on many worlds, religious leaders organized lynch mobs to cleanse the unfaithful, and nations wiped each other out in a mere week, all using their impending doom as an excuse for their actions.  The only world to maintain its sanity was Mars.  Teraformed only recently, the martians were still hardy and enduring; focusing only on the Generation Arks they were tasked to build.  In the end, they completed the most vessels that would be their salvation.

A year before the dust cloud was predicted to strike Sol, only five hundred ships were announced to be finished.  Of the four trillion humans in the system, only a scant one hundred billion would be saved.  There had been much talk about who was to be saved.  Which members of society were worth taking?  Who would only be a parasite?  Regardless of whatever conclusions they came to, the ones who were saved were those who managed to climb aboard before the rest of the competition; the Generation Arks blasting off once they were filled.

The ships sped through the depths of space, heading to whatever systems they had selected first.  Some went to Alpha Centauri, others to Sirius, and still more a number of other star systems where the survivors hoped they could rebuild their shattered lives.

Those who were left behind suffered a horrific fate at either the hands of their fellow man or at the eruption of what had been source of life who countless generations.  It took a week for the plasma to build up once the cloud struck, but once it did, it exploded with a fury never before seen by a man who was left alive.

Within days, the expanding sphere of fiery death obliterated the worlds, annihilating anyone who had so far survived the violence.  One by one, each planet was vaporized, snuffing out billions of lives and eradicating the countless achievements of mankind.  Even when nothing was left, it kept going, even coming within mere kilometers of the fleeing ships before its advance finally halted.  For months, it shown brighter than any star, a harsh reminder to those who escaped of what they had just fled from, and what they had just lost.

------------------------------

Just over a thousand years later, mankind had demonstrated it's unquenchable persistence and determination by quickly recovering from the apocalypse.  Slowly, but surely, technologies were reinvented, worlds rediscovered their long lost brothers, and mankind united itself under a single banner once more.  In these days, the Interstellar Trade Commission holds the reins.  They promote open and free trade among the worlds, in turn maintaining peace.  And when someone tried to disrupt that peace, they call upon the Merchant Marines to uphold the law.

You have grown up on <homeworld> here.  You are unsatisfied with the future what would be yours here.  Instead, you look towards the stars with your ideal destiny in mind.  Perhaps you seek fame and wealth?  Or maybe you desire power?  Whatever your goals, you do carry an aura of boldness around you.  No one can go into space without such boldness, yet many only find the opposite once they are out there.

It's 3349 A.D.  You have finally managed to scrap the funds together and purchase your own ship.  You blast off into the cold depths, perhaps as the one whose actions will change the course of history?  Or maybe you'll merely die in obscurity?  However, you remember what your father used to say, "Nobody plays the game of life without stacking their deck."

Captain, your destiny awaits...

I'll add new screenshots of the TC to my gallery today; feel free to stop by and check 'em out when they're up. I'll edit this post when they're up.

Also, I have 16MB worth of material assembled so far. I finally had to split into two separate files to get it to keep working.

You might want to replace the "<homeworld> here" with whatever the name of the starting world is. I had no idea what it'd be called and didn't feel like I had the liberty to decide, hence why I did that. And it was also supposed to be "<homeworld here>".

I'll change that, don't worry. I'm just trying to decide what changes I may need to make, and how to make them.

Nice.

That's great! One thing, though. You use the word "Saved" several times over the course of a few sentences. As a general rule, try and use diffirent words as much as possible, e.g. "Rescued" or "Taken".

That's great! One thing, though. You use the word "Saved" several times over the course of a few sentences. As a general rule, try and use diffirent words as much as possible, e.g. "Rescued" or "Taken".

You're right about that. Take any nitpicking up with JTH, though. I just inspired it.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 24 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

Perfection still eludes me...blast!