Onyx's shipyard

I've fast Maxor drives, no appreciable fragmentation (defrag monthly) and never, ever use virtual memory. I give EnRLE as much as I do because I have enough ram to do it ๐Ÿ™‚ MissionComputer just seems faster.

@rmx256, on Aug 21 2006, 03:28 AM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

Yes I know that most of my sprites are too big.

Too big? Never ๐Ÿ˜„

@onyx, on Aug 18 2006, 10:29 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

The RLE'd files are up there now.

Lastly, here's a sort of "taste" of the new shipyard, in terms of quality (all sorts of different styles will be present):

I call it a "bluebird". Here is a bigger, quad-view. More to come soon!

๐Ÿ˜ฎ W-Wants my preciousssssssss

@pipeline, on Aug 19 2006, 04:39 AM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

You freak me out, man. That's nuts.

Now that is scary.

Can you put the files up with zipped folders? so we dont need a fancy espander to use it? stuffit download is a thorn in my side. Please??? or just for the Stellars? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Stop and think... These files were originally made for a Mac-only program before the advent of Nova, or WinNova. They were originally for Mac users who had standard Mac expansion programs, with .zip not being a standard Mac format untill recently, long after these were originally made. And, at least in my opinion, if you want the files badly enough you'll bother to download Stuffit to extract them. I'm not trying to be a prick, but Onyx has gone to the effort here to get these ships and etc in a position for people to use themย— after they've been out of circulation for some timeย— and some other people just keep asking for more, more, more. Here are some free-for-you-to-use ships, outfits and other goodies. If you can't download Stuffit to use them then I don't know what else to tell you.

(/end bitter)

I agree wholeheartedly with rmx256.

By the way, rmx, that machine should churn through those sprites. You might want to try it under Mac OS X. It may run faster.

I've just run a test on an Intel iMac using the Rebel Cruiser base sprite from rEVisited.
EnRLE: 7.27s
Mission Computer: 6.55s for progress bar to complete, 25.23s for completion dialog to appear

This post has been edited by Guy : 21 August 2006 - 12:41 AM

EnRle chokes on larger PICTs it seems.

My dual 1.8 G5 just did a 250250 144 frame set in over 1 minute.
Considering the fact that EnRle used an eternity(5min+) then crashed when I did the same PICT with 500
500 and 250 frames, I am not surprised that your set took that long rmx.

300*360 250 frames must be really pushing it.

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 21 August 2006 - 01:50 AM

Holy mother of god. I hadn't actually checked his framesizes.

That's really really stupid. Neither EVN nor EnRLE were ever designed to cope with that amount of data.

I highly recommend against trying to implement anything that large.

Hell, the Raven is pushing it as it is!

EVN actually dealt with my 250*250 144 frames pretty easily on my G5.

Yeah, and the RAM requirements will be huge.

The point is, it isn't meant to do it. Neither of them are. Try it if you must, but I warn you: neither myself nor Matt Burch nor ASW will be in any way responsible for anything EVN may do to your machine if it crashes.

You have been warned.

That sprite has been running just fine in-game for over a year. The size issue is mostly from it's unfolds-to-fireness. Normally it is much smaller. It does not use all of those frames for rotation.

@modesty-blaise, on Aug 21 2006, 10:48 AM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

EVN actually dealt with my 250*250 144 frames pretty easily on my G5.

@pipeline, on Aug 21 2006, 11:28 AM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

Yeah, and the RAM requirements will be huge.

The point is, it isn't meant to do it. Neither of them are. Try it if you must, but I warn you: neither myself nor Matt Burch nor ASW will be in any way responsible for anything EVN may do to your machine if it crashes.

You have been warned.

No worries, it's been tested on many machines, and it should be fine.

These are in EV or EVO format right?

I was wondering if I could convert them using the Nova Convertor, to use in my plugin (Im on Windows ๐Ÿ˜ž )

Thanks for your help

edit-see my post on the next page.

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 22 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

@rmx256, on Aug 22 2006, 03:08 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

As for the outfit and stellar graphics, you'll have to do some more wrangling for those ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm assuming theres more than the pictures Onyx put up underneath, can somone unpack the file and post the pictures up or send them to me so I can zip it up and host it on my file hosting site. But for now, just save the pictures shown, as a jpeg and you can easily implement those into EVNEW. ๐Ÿ™‚

The RLEs of the ships that I made are in normal MacNova plug format and can be converted with the normal Plugin Converter that shipped with WinNova, presumably. They have ResIDs condusive to use with the stock Nova scenereo ship graphics.

The Stellars and shot graphics are absolutely identical with a normal plug; however, they are in ResEdit format, and are using Override spins to boot. So to get the graphics you'll have to make them EVNEW format. My only suggestion is to rename them whatever.rez and see if it can be opened from there. If so, you'll still have to make your own Nova spins- I'm pretty sure they are a different format than Override spins. If this does not work, I have no furthur ideas.

I'm assuming theres more than the pictures Onyx put up underneath, can somone unpack the file and post the pictures up or send them to me so I can zip it up and host it on my file hosting site? {question mark added}

Nothing personal, but I'm still wondering why people keep asking other people to do these things for them? Is this really an impossible thing to do on windows, or has it even been tried for more than just a few minutes before one gives up in frustration?

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 22 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well the spins shouldn't be to hard, escpecially if its a stellar. For the weapons, all we need is the first shot really, then we can use SpinApp to do the rest, presumably.

They're already in a full spin, with mask, you don't need to respin them at all. You will, however, need to add a spin resource as the ones present are in the Override spin format presumably.

I tried the renaming, and it didn't work. Also, rmx256, are the files inside the .sit pict files? Cuase if they are, would it be ok if you sent them to me? I can convert those by photoshop or EVNEW.