Onyx's shipyard

@rmx256, on Aug 22 2006, 07:25 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

Nothing personal, but I'm still wondering why people keep asking other people to do these things for them? Is this really an impossible thing to do on windows, or has it even been tried for more than just a few minutes before one gives up in frustration?

If people can't go through the trouble to actually try to get them to work, I don't see how they'll finish a plug-in using those ships.

If'n any of you'se do a full and thorough re-formatting of the goods, get it with the current specs and whatnot, I can certainly host it up there with the rest of the site. Best to have it all in one spot, more or less.

@mispeled, on Aug 22 2006, 04:45 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

If people can't go through the trouble to actually try to get them to work, I don't see how they'll finish a plug-in using those ships.

I've tried getting them to work, it just doesn't. The only usable ones for windows are the zipped rleD's of ships on the website. None of the others are usuable, atleast by a Windows standard.

At one time I had all of the shots and outfit graphics converted and in-use with Nova resources, but they were lost somewhere in one of my many epic hard drive crashes. The only reason that I had the ships already set up is that they're still in the KFL files and are loaded into game; I don't have them as a backup or anything I mean (although they are loaded they are not in use, I've just lazily failed to remove them from Kemet Ships 1). If only to alleviate all of the drama, I'd send them to Onyx if I had them still. I simply do not any longer have them.

Some notes:
1. EV/O/N spin resources are identical. The only difference is Nova needs shans for ships instead of spins.
2. For everything Nova related, renaming a file never achieves anything. ResEdit format != EVNEW format (.rez).
3. ResEdit format = EV/O/N format. This means the .sit files can be extracted and converted just like any other .sit file on the addons pages. Chronodrago, this is not hard! You should be able to work this out for yourself!
4. JPEG is lossy. Lossy = not good for plug images.
5. Bitmap is not a real format (okay, so no one mentioned bitmap yet, but just thought I'd add that).

This post has been edited by Guy : 09 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

None of those are mine. That's one of the last things that I have to model and render.

@guy, on Aug 22 2006, 08:47 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

2. For everything Nova related, renaming a file never achieves anything. ResEdit format != EVNEW format (.rez).
3. ResEdit format = EV/O/N format. This means the .sit files can be extracted and converted just like any other .sit file on the addons pages. Chronodrago, this is not hard! You should be able to work this out for yourself!

For some reason, I kept getting .rsc files whenever i extracted the .sit file. Thats why I couldn't get anywhere, the .rsc file has no corrolation on Windows, I believe. Thanks for the files. 🙂

@chronodrago, on Aug 24 2006, 12:42 PM, said in Onyx's shipyard:

For some reason, I kept getting .rsc files whenever i extracted the .sit file. Thats why I couldn't get anywhere, the .rsc file has no corrolation on Windows, I believe. Thanks for the files. 🙂

A .rsc or .rsrc file is a Macintosh Resource file.

Nova was programmed on Macs to run on Macs. PCs were an afterthought.

Both... some days its .rsc and then another time(but different file) .rsrc
I believe I can use the .rsrc though, cuase I was almost always able to get something else out of it.

I tested the .sit files on windows. I don't know what kind of weird version of StuffIt you have or what you're doing wrong but they work fine for me. Have you read Belthazar's guide at all?

(edit) removed

This post has been edited by Guy : 09 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

Yesterday, I downloaded all the ships and outfit picts off of Onyx's shipyard, and got them to work perfectly on my PC. It was quite a bit of work, but they run nicely. Had to convert the ship graphic's .rsc file to .rez, use EVNEW to export all the base and mask picts into .bmp files, then import them into Rled's.

The outfit pictures were easy, just had to convert the .rsc to .rez, and just copy and past into the appropriate areas.

I find converting mac EV files to windows EV files very simple.

T'was my first major project in a long time.

This post has been edited by Nryn : 03 September 2006 - 07:15 PM