How do you use the editor and how to use made plugins

just this and a question

I have downloaded the editor and used it a bit but i dont how to do much more then name a system or other things

And just wondering because i just downloaded 15 days ago can u do more then one set of major missions on a piolt

Will Just Name off a few questions

What is the ID for?
How do i use the plugins i know you have to put in folder but do i have to extract?
How when making a goverment do u choose class allies enemies and such?
Where do i find IDs of items and ships?
How do you choose where to put a system and how to connect the two as in the ex sol to wolf 359?

these maybe newb question but i am a newb so it evens out

How do you choose where to put a system and how to connect the two as in the ex sol to wolf 359?
What i mean is how you connect a system say system 1 to sol?

sry had a typo ment how do you choose class allies enemies and such?

This post has been edited by Grolin : 12 August 2006 - 09:35 PM

1. ID is for the identification of a resource.
2. Put them in the folder and Nova will use them next time you open it.
3. Yes.
4. Data files.
5. What? Please elaborate.

Whoops one more thing forgot to fix how do u find the ID codes

...Data files...

@mk-32, on Aug 12 2006, 10:43 PM, said in How do you use the editor and how to use made plugins:

...Data files...

Sry i am new to the plugin making so i dont know where everthing is

newbie questions? Ha! I still have no idea about making a plugin. And, you could go to the developer's corner for more plug help. Click.

lol i cant even find the ID codes in the data files

lol i cant even find the ID codes in the data files

What is the ID for?

Well, the ID number of a resource is how it is identified by another resource. For example, a planet has a description of it when you land, right? Well, in the planet's spob (where the info is stored about the planet), it has a link to the proper description ID for it.

How do i use the plugins i know you have to put in folder but do i have to extract?

Yes, you have to extract them first.

Well, if you're using Windows and have EVNEW, there should be a field just for that in the planet's spob. Click here to get EVNEW if you use Windows.. if you use Mac, you'll have to ask another person, sorry.
Where do i find IDs of items and ships?

You choose where to put a system by inputting it's co-ordinates in the X and Y location field in the systems syst resource. If you want it to be near an existing system, find it's syst resource in your EV Nova files, look at it's X and Y location, and offset your system's location by a bit.

As for connecting systems, you must have both systems you want to connect included in your plug-in. To connect the Sol system to Wolf 359, you would go to the Sol system syst resource, find it's hyperlink fields, and input the Wolf 359 ID into an empty field (-1). Then do the same with Wolf 359, just substitute in Sol's syst ID.

Hope that helped...

This post has been edited by Crashe : 12 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Crashe i just dont know where to find the ID codes though because i dont know if you can use notepad to open the data files or not? oh and where do i find the corodinates at in the game or in the data files

i dont know if you can use notepad to open the data files or not?

In my post there is a link to a program for just what you need. Download it and use it.

where do i find the corodinates at in the game or in the data files

You find the co-ordinates in the data files. Here's what to do:

1)Know the name of the planet you want to find the co-ords of.
2)Download the program I provided a link to.
3)Open it up, and navigate your way to the Nova Files folder in your EV Nova Folder. (Probably C:\\Program Files\EV Nova\Nova Files or something to that extent)
4)Find Nova Data 2.rez and open it.
5)It will load, and you should see, near the left bottom side, an option that says syst(###) <--how ever many systems there are...
6)Click on that, browse through it until you find your system in question.
7)Open it, and a large window will open. Don't let all the stuff overwhelm you. You'll come to know what it all means.
8)Find the X Position and Y Position fields near the top, and you have your co-ords! Voila!

Now if you want a system near the one you just found, try some random numbers.

An X Position value greater than the one of the found system will put your new one to the right of it, and a Y Position value greater than the found system's will put it above it. Negatives move it to the left and down, respectively.

Hope that clarified!

OK thank you that was the bulk of my question solved you were a great help

So Sol is the center of universe so so -1x 1y would be to the uper left of sol k thats what i needed

This post has been edited by Grolin : 12 August 2006 - 10:39 PM

No problem, just ask anytime.. I'll do what I can, if I can't... wait for a more experienced EV:N vet to come along.

so -1x 1y would be to the uper left of sol

Yes, that would be... but it might overlap the Sol system, try going a bit more in both directions.. maybe somewhere between 5-10.

And, if you're going to make a new system, make sure you have a UNIQUE syst ID. If your system shares an ID with another, the hyperlinks will be all messed up. If you don't know how to make a unique ID...

1. Open up Nova Data 2.rez, and go to your syst resources
  2. Go to the very bottom, and use whatever number is next. (i.e if the last system is 800 then your syst ID would be 801, and so forth for any new systems.)

This post has been edited by Crashe : 12 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

ok i got my own planet but do i just put 0,0 for the hyper jump cordinates for sol or the ID key?

Wait nvm found it.

Steller objects those are the planets right?

This post has been edited by Grolin : 12 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

Steller objects those are the planets right?

Yus-sir-ee they are. You catch on quick.

where can i find the graphics for the spob's, to look at

Eh, gimme one sec lemme find out...

Nova Graphics 2.rez

In the spin resouces, # 1000-1255

Edit Eh, it doesn't quite go to 1255, but that's just the max pre-set by ATMOS I guess. mine goes to 1068

This post has been edited by Crashe : 12 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

I opened a fresh Evnew can i still use the sol cordinates for the hyperjump? or will it not connect to it?

This post has been edited by Grolin : 12 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

You're going to have to elaborate on that one. What EXACTLY do you mean?

If you make a plug-in and copy all the syst resources into it, will the game mess up?

I don't think so, but there would be 2 copies of every system in the game.... hold on I'll make one real quick and check.

@grolin, on Aug 12 2006, 10:36 PM, said in How do you use the editor and how to use made plugins:

So Sol is the center of universe so so -1x 1y would be to the uper left of sol k thats what i needed

View PostEdwards, on Aug 3 2006, 03:55 PM, said:

They look like this:
.........-y...........
...........|...........
...........|...........
-x____|____+x
...........|...........
...........|...........
.........+y..........

The same is true inside systems.

Edwards

So it would actually be to the lower left.

This post has been edited by dr neverhood : 12 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Okay...changing things...

Right. If you use a plug-in to insert a new system, it can reference the coordinates of systems which exist in the standard data files (to the best of my knowledge).

Also, any system in a plug which has the same ID as a system in the standard data files will, as far as I know, overwrite the standard system. Same with anything else (outfits, planets, etc.), for that matter, I think -- since plugs load after the data files. That's why you need to make sure that you use different ID numbers.

This post has been edited by Cleindori : 12 August 2006 - 11:05 PM