I'm Working on a new side string

@wonderboy, on Jul 3 2006, 05:30 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

You sure 'cause I have seen this happen in the stock scenario. It might have been a mission with the can't decline feild checked so you appear to be just reading a text but are realy accepting a misison that will be completed with no completion text when you complete the real mission. So 2 text boxes talkin about the mission are realy 2 seprate missions that one of which are invisible.

That may be, but it might just be one mission in which theres the introduction with no refuse option and then theres the briefing afterwards.

@chronodrago: I backed up all of the files before I changed anything. It was just annoying to combine all of the deleted stuff that wasent getting erased from my plug.

smart 🙂

I think I will post the first mission text but I will hide it. Well I would it the color stuff would work...what color is the back ground for the posts?

Hmm, wouldnt it be sort of obvious with all the empty space? You could just post it on your homepage, if u dont have one you can make one. I just made one and im going to use it to publish beta stuff when needed.

@wonderboy, on Jul 3 2006, 01:48 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Ok I fixed the lack of information by adding back #STR resource 2002(misc strings). I have also added back most of what I forgot but I won't be surprised if I forgot something. For making missions and other texts what are all of the variables like <PN>. I need them for making missions and the such.

Here they are(some of my previous are wrong <_< 😞
<DSY> The name of the destination system
<DST> The name of the destination stellar
<RSY> The name of the return system
<RST> The name of the return stellar
<CT> The name of the type of cargo to be carried
<CQ> The quantity of cargo to be carried
<DL> The date of the mission deadline, if any
<PAY> Absolute value of mission pay (does nothing if the mission pay isn't monetary)
<REG> Who Nova is registered to, or "UNREGISTERED"
<PN> The player's name
<PNN> The player's nickname. If no nickname was specified, Nova will use the player's full name here instead.
<PSN> The player's ship's name
<PST> The player's ship type (comes from the resource name of the player's ship type's shďp resource)
<PRK> The ConvName of the highest-weighted active rank resource. If none is found, this will be replaced with "captain".
<SRK> The ShortName of the highest-weighted active rank resource. If none is found, this will be replaced with "captain".
<PRKnnn> Same as <PRK>, but only for ranks affiliated with government ID nnn. Note that you can only do this once per description, or bad things might happen.
<SRKnnn> Same as <SRK>, but only for ranks affiliated with government ID nnn. Note that you can only do this once per description, or bad things might happen.
<RRK> The full name of the most recently activated rank resource. Note that it's best to only use this in a mission briefing where you know that you've just given the player a rank, because otherwise bad things could happen. (e.g. the most recently activated rank pointer isn't cached between game sessions)
<OSN> The offering ship name (only works when offering a mission from a ship)
<SN> Special ship name (Note: Nova will screw up if you use this in the initial mission description, as it doesn't pick the special ship names until you actually accept the mission.)

Thanks. Yes it would be obvious but it would only be for those who would wish to "spoil" it for them selves. It is so that others can read this with out worry of spoiling it. That and its just something good to know.

Ah i see. I got so much work to o on mine still lol
my gov't that disappears after theve been defeated needs more systems, so i can make it a feud. Arg this is going to take longer than i though. <_< 😛

It always does.

It might have been a mission with the can't decline feild checked so you appear to be just reading a text but are realy accepting a misison that will be completed with no completion text when you complete the real mission.

Because of a quirk of the engine, that is not possible. When there are multiple misions that can be offered, Nova will only offer them until the player accepts one. Any more that would have been offered will be suppressed.
What you are probably seeing in Nova is the cargo unload and/or the success texts of the previous mission, before the offer text of the next mission. I recall this happening at the end of the Polaris string.

Edwards

@edwards, on Jul 3 2006, 08:05 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Because of a quirk of the engine, that is not possible. When there are multiple misions that can be offered, Nova will only offer them until the player accepts one. Any more that would have been offered will be suppressed.

Isnt that becuase they have Availability="!Bxxx", OnSuccess="Bxxx" and a cron that says something like cant have to many missions running at same time(i saw it earlier when i was seearching through em)?

@edwards, on Jul 3 2006, 08:05 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

What you are probably seeing in Nova is the cargo unload and/or the success texts of the previous mission, before the offer text of the next mission. I recall this happening at the end of the Polaris string.

I agree with that, those missions probably have the next mission start immediatly after that one becuase of the Sxxx in the on success field, so it would get that succesive texts effect.

BTW: can you have italics and bold in misn desc?

@wonderboy, on Jul 4 2006, 05:38 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

I guess I was reffering to the different models. Basicaly it would be stuff like Fed Dest, Reb Dest, Fed Cari, Reb Frig, ect. Not stuff like Fed Dest:Destroyer Class, Heavy Weapons Class, Arouran Outf Detected; Fed Cari: Extra Fighters Dected; Ect.

Since you put it like that, there's sixty-five.

@chronodrago, on Jul 4 2006, 11:17 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Here they are(some of my previous are wrong <_< 😞

There's no need to copy huge chunks out of the Nova Bible - just let WonderBoy go and have a look for himself.

@belthazar, on Jul 3 2006, 08:12 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

There's no need to copy huge chunks out of the Nova Bible - just let WonderBoy go and have a look for himself.

Whats wrong with copying? Besides its easier to read it off of here...atleast it is for me.

@chronodrago: FYI I have relatively no problem reading from the Bible. Thank you for your concern, it is apreciated but for future reference, just tell me that its in the bible and where would be nice aswell. But there is no need to repeat it unless it is so small that it would be a hinderance to locate.
@Edwards: Ah that makes sence. But I am not entirely sure you understood me correctly. Maybe you did but I don't know.
@all: More importantly, Why does my flak weapon not submunition when it hits? I have a prox of 5 and its speed is 1500. Is the prox too small for the speed? I'm gonna try increasing the prox distance to 10 but untill then, any ideas?

(Edit): Here is the mission. Please pardon the grammar I haven't spell checked it yet. Prone to change at any time.
available in bar any syst
your siting in the bar when you feel a familiar presence. You turn around and see your first mate. "Yo! wassup <nick>?"
You quicly interupt "I thought I told you never to call me by that name in public!"
"Sorry I diden't think.."
"Yeah! I know you diden't think!"
"I'm sorry sir..." there is a moment of pause before he continues. "Well I came in here to let you know that a weird man is waiting for you at the ship."
"There is? What does he want?"
"All he would tell me is that he has a job to offer you." You take a sip of your drink.
"...Hmm well I guess I will go talk to him in a few minutes. Wait. First did he even tell you what kind of a job?"
"Actually yes. A few tons of cargo need delivering. He wouldent say where to pick it up or drop it off or even what it is. He really wants to talk to you sir."
"I know. You said already. Does he work for a company or is he a free-lancer like us?"
"Judging by his suit I would say he works for a company but I'm not sure. It looks expensive but not quite Buisness attire.Why do you ask?"
"The Space Lanes aren't as safe as they once were. There used to be a time that noone would try to disable you and steal.."
"I know, I know. You keep forgetting that I'm not that much younger than you."
You look at him in consideration ofr a couple of seconds "Yeah, I know. Sorry I keep doping that, Havent I already told you that story anyway?"
"Actualy, yes. Not trying to sound impatient, sir, but the man is still waiting."
"Alright, I guess will talk to him. Tell him I will be there in a few minutes."
"Yes sir"
"You can call me by my name in public just not <nick>. ok?"
"Alright."

(new window)

You take five minutes to finish your drink. After all, he did want you on your own time.

(new window)

You walk up to your ship and dont see either the man nor your first mate. You assume that he invited him into your ship the <shipname>. You start to get angry with him for inviting someone into your ship wiht out your permission but then realise that he can be rude and forgetfull but his instincts and intuition are alwys right. You enter the key code that opens the hatch and step inside and sure enough there they are playing your new "PSO 7117 Game System". Your first mate is wiping the floor with the suited man. You now know why your first mate reffered to him as weird. He is wearing a neon green Tux with electric blue hair. The shirt under the Tux is Radioactive Red and his tie well you dont know quite how to describe it. It has some flashy yellow quaderlaterals on a feild of blue that rivals his hair, theyre are some lights in it that make it apear asif it is pusling with energy. You estimate him to be around his mid 20's. As soon as they realise that you have entered the cabin they stop. The suited man aproaches you and says "Hello! Nice to meet you <name> do you mind if I call you <Nick>?"
you glare at your first mate as you answer "As a matter of fact I do."
The suited man quicly apoligises "Sorry <highest rank> <name>. I diden't mean to offend you. Please don't get mad at your first mate I already knew."
"What? You did? What do you want?"
"I have a buisness proposition to make. I want you to take <quanity> tons of a few "unliked" goods from one place to another."
"Thats very discriptive. Cant I know any more before I do anything else?"
"Not untill you accept. and keep in mind that If you do accept that given time ou will be granted access to some of our techology that noone other then our employees have."
"Who do you work for?"
"JDeC."
"mmmm...."
You first mate sticks his head next to yours and whispers in your ear "Be wary, this is a very secretave company but their tech is beyond even the Feds'. I say you shuld accept this but dont if you think you can get out of it later or even out of their 'Inner Circle' so to speak"
"Oh! I forgot to mention the payment for this mission will be 25,000 credits."
You considder his words carfully before giving your answer to the Suit.

(yes)

"Great!" he exclaims with gusto."the cargo is located in the <travel stellar> in the <travel syst> system and you need to take it to the <end stellar> in the <end syst> system. Don't get scanned by ANYONE! We have hired a band of mercinarys to keep the Feds off of you." he spots you raise your eyebrows at that statement. "Don't worry, they won't harm you, Hell, they can't harm much of anything. Oh and when you get there ask around in the bar for a man named Douglas Adams."

(no)

"Well thats too bad. You came high on the list for this and we really expected you to accept. Well, See you around the Galaxy <highest rank>." and wiht that the strange suited man leaves your ship and some how dissapears into the crowd. With you and your first mate thinking "How cliche?"

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 04 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

@belthazar, on Jul 3 2006, 04:53 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Not sure exactly how much difference is required before you count a ship as a wholly new ship (as opposed to a variant) but I count fourty-eight. Fourty-nine if you consider Mod Starbridges to be different ships.

@belthazar, on Jul 3 2006, 11:12 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Since you put it like that, there's sixty-five.

Funny, I have 58 thats not either of your countings :huh: I guess I left some out. I will check again.

(Edit): As I checked I left out 3 the Kestrel, the 'Roid Miner, and the Unrelenting. I might take the Unrelenting back out though, or I might make it have a exorbant price like hmmm... 50mil. I reduced the Kestrel to 5 mil and will be taking off a couple of outf/weaps.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 04 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

Very nice, way better than most things i could come up with. Would it be alright if i used that as an outline for the my first misn? I wont copy it.

BTW: can mission briefings have italics and bold letters?)

here was the desc for my a random side mission that would be fun. This includes the accept desc...
You have barely walked out of you ship when a man walks up to you, the scars of past battles upon his broad shoulders.

He looks you up and down, and smiles broadly. "So, you must be <PN>, the pilot who I've heard so well about. You must be good, very good, for I am not easy to impress. I understand that you love to do space battles. Are you willing to enter a tournament in the Xeomina system?"

He laughs and slaps you on the shoulder. The two of you start walking down the spaceport and he says "Thats what I like to hear. Before you may take your place amongst the respected, you must prove yourself worthy of it. Go to the Xeomina system and battle the other warriors that wait for you there. Before you return here you must defeat them all - don't worry, they all have escape pods, as do you...I hope."

As you walk back to your ship, you're amazed at how far you walked and that the old man hadn't even looked tired. Things aren't always as they seem, you say to yourself.

Right before you reach your ship, another man pulls you aside. And you're wondering what the heck this guy has to say. He looks around to make sure that no one else is listening, and then he says to you, "I overheard the old man talking to you, and I wanted to let you know that the Duelist Government are ruthless, cold-blooded bastards. The tournie they're holding is held once a month but you can only enter it once. Almost everyone that enters has never returned, and their ships were found on the black market. He is probably one of the guys that convince you to join and then steal your ship after your disabled. But I have something for you, it's a hint. On Avalon in the Mugeuh system there is a package waiting for you, it is a cloaking generator and a special type of blaster turret. Get it and cloak as soon as you reach your destination. From there, you can fire a few torpedos...maybe some lasers, but you can leave the rest of the work to me. Oh, and by the way, I'll need the stuff back when your done." He pats you on the back and walks off.

Things aren't always as they seem, you say to yourself again. You board your ship and plot a route to the Mureugh system. Time to get that package.

A few days later, you arrive at the system...

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 04 July 2006 - 12:30 AM

Yeah I guess you could use my first mission as a outline for yours but if that was it then its not much the same. and I have no idea if there are italics or bold in Nova at all. I don;t believe there are.

P.S. For those fellow Americans out there... Happy Fourth of July! W00T Independance day!! lets shoot off fireworks and hope we don't blow our selves up!!

@chronodrago, on Jul 4 2006, 01:32 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Whats wrong with copying? Besides its easier to read it off of here...atleast it is for me.

Clutters up the thread, and in the long run it's not particularly helpful - a case of giving a man a fish rather than reaching him how to fish.

@wonderboy, on Jul 4 2006, 02:50 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Funny, I have 58 thats not either of your countings :huh: I guess I left some out. I will check again.

Alrighty, here we go. In alphabetical order: Abomination, Arachnid, Argosy, Asteroid Miner, Aurora Carrier, Aurora Cruiser, Aurora Thunderforge, Cambrian, Cargo Drone, Dragon, Enterprise, Escape Pod, Fed Ananconda, Fed Carrier, Fed Destroyer, Fed Destroyer, Fed Patrol Boat, Fed Scout Ship, Fed Viper, Firebird, Heavy Shuttle, Hyperioid, IDA Frigate, Kestrel, Krypt Pod, Leviathan, Lightning, Manta, Manticore, Mod Starbridge, Pegasus, Phoenix, Pirate Argosy, Pirate Carrier, Pirate Enterprise, Pirate Starbrige, Pirate Thunderhead, Pirate Valkyrie, Pirate Viper, RAGE Gunboat, Raven, Rebel Destroyer, Rebel Dragon, Rebel IDA Frigate, Rebel Lightning, Rebel Starbridge, Rebel Thunderhead, Rebel Valkyrie, Rebel Viper, Scarab, Shuttle, Sprite, Star Liner, Starbridge, Striker, Terrapin, Thunderhead, Valkyrie, Vell-os Arrow, Vell-os Dart, Vell-os Javelin, Viper, Wraith Adult, Wraith Child, Wraith Youth, Zephyr. Sixty-six ships (admittedly, not quite what I counted earlier, but I must have missed one).

(Edit): As I checked I left out 3 the Kestrel, the 'Roid Miner, and the Unrelenting.

The Unrelenting doesn't count (in my mind) as a separate ship - it's just a glorified Pirate Carrier.

@chronodrago, on Jul 4 2006, 03:19 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

BTW: can mission briefings have italics and bold letters?

Nope.

You have barely walked out of you ship when a man walks up to you, the scars of past battles upon his broad shoulders. et cetera

Why are you speaking in white?

@wonderboy, on Jul 4 2006, 04:07 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

P.S. For those fellow Americans out there... Happy Fourth of July!

You know, it's still the fourth of July outside of America as well.

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 04 July 2006 - 01:24 AM

@wonderboy, on Jul 3 2006, 11:07 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Yeah I guess you could use my first mission as a outline for yours but if that was it then its not much the same. and I have no idea if there are italics or bold in Nova at all. I don;t believe there are.

P.S. For those fellow Americans out there... Happy Fourth of July! W00T Independance day!! lets shoot off fireworks and hope we don't blow our selves up!!

That was the original now i changed it a tad and put some length on it.

For some reason my misn wont even start up heres the file, can someone see why? These are just the misn resources - nothing more.

And happy 4th of JUly!!!!!!!!! Woot Its the day before and i already hear fireworks. :laugh:

(offtopic)

@belthazar, on Jul 4 2006, 02:23 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

You know, it's still the fourth of July outside of America as well.

Yes I know, but is it Independance Day elsewhere? Speaking in white so that people that don't wish to hear the mission don't have too(yes I know that most will probably read it anyway).(/offtopic)

the mission I made so far as a first thing for me doesn't work correctly. it is set to have a random return stellar but it has it as the original. the tourists that you take are going right back where they started right away >_< Also, I read something about the Stars, How could I change them? Can I make them blink and stuff? twinkle/twirl anything?

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 04 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

Also, modeling in Wings 3D. I have heard about color it in, I have seen screen shots of wings with color, How do I do that? Is is a plug-in for Wings? Hmmm....Repeats questions in previous post and adds a few more. Can a outf be multiple weapons? For example: Blaster Pack L-M: This pack includes 2 Light Blasters and 1 Medium Blaster. Kinda like making preset weapon sets. I immagine it would be usefull for making nice barrage type sets that take out fighters and medium ships equallaly. I might try to implement this but for the moment I am just curious if it is even possible.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 06 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

@wonderboy, on Jul 4 2006, 11:07 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Also, I read something about the Stars, How could I change them? Can I make them blink and stuff? twinkle/twirl anything?

Hmm, if youre talking about the background i dont think you can, even if the background was an animated gif, i still dont think you can. Sometimes in the stars background i see a star chasing me, sort of liek a satelite, its real weird. So if thats the animation in the background, then the answer to your question is yes just it will take some time to find out where and how the files are done.

@wonderboy, on Jul 6 2006, 01:41 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Can a outf be multiple weapons? For example: Blaster Pack L-M: This pack includes 2 Light Blasters and 1 Medium Blaster. Kinda like making preset weapon sets. I immagine it would be usefull for making nice barrage type sets that take out fighters and medium ships equallaly. I might try to implement this but for the moment I am just curious if it is even possible.

I think you can, it would be just like a outfit that gives multiple advantages. So yes, becuase the outfit is what you buy its not the weap. Since hte weap isnt edited, it should work just fine. Though if its a weap that uses ammo, then no. Becuase the ammunition and the weap resources take up two different categories in the outfit resource.

@wonderboy, on Jul 4 2006, 01:07 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Also, I read something about the Stars, How could I change them? Can I make them blink and stuff? twinkle/twirl anything?

Rle resource 700. You can't animate them, but you can change them.

It's in Nova Graphics 2.

This post has been edited by dr neverhood : 06 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

So I can't make nova use a spin for the stars? Darn.

Other questions I would like answered