I'm Working on a new side string

For ease-of-creation, I'd recommend putting all resources except the graphics in a single file. However, do be aware that there are some limitations to how much stuff you can put in a Macintosh resource fork- if a file has more than 2000 resources, or is larger than 10MB, it should be split up, as getting much larger will cause it to be corrupted. (For more information, read this post.)

Also, I was using the term "engine hack" in the meaning which is used in the "Cool Nova Hacks" thread; namely, "a really neat thing you can do by putting the right numbers in a bunch of resources". Nothing to do with the game's code, and (at least in this case) nothing that relies on bugs in the game.

Edwards

Ah, thanks for the link and other information. I still think that I will stay away from the "engine hacks", it sounds too complicated and, quite frankly, probably is(atleast for me).

@wonderboy, on Jun 29 2006, 02:10 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

So is it the total file size of the upload or the actual plugin?

The total file size of the upload. However, as Edwards has commented, there are some concerns with the maximum size of the plugin file itself as well (which are unrelated to the maximum size that Ambrosia allows for a single upload).

I get it. If I were to have the plug-in be under 10 meg and included a sound file to replace Nova's music, and it were to be larger than 5 meg, I would not be able to upload it correct? Also, do files that are uploaded have to be ziped/stuffed?

Yes, uploaded files must be compressed - especially if it's a Mac plugin.

Heres a pinned post that will tell you everyhitng you need for uploading. Although it doesnt tell you how long it takes to post, expect over a month. 😄
Uploading Specifications

Ah, thank you chronodrago. I have a question after reading it. In one of my systems, there is a black hole(it has a weak pull for a black hole but it is one none the less). The current Graphic is that of the wormhole from Polycon. I do not know whom to ask for permission to use things from Polycon. If anyone could tell me who, or if you would like ask them, it would be most apriciated.

AnubisTTP is the guy to ask - I'm note sure if he's still active on these boards, but he tends to turn up when his name is invoked, and he'll probably respond if you send a PM.

heres his email. i emailed him once to ask to use some polycon ship graphics in one of my plugins...i still havent finished the plugin yet. 😄

arrakis666@yahoo.com

Shuld I send a message to both, or just one? If just one which one?

email, he probably checks it more often. He responded to mine within a day.

OK, Thanks. E-mail sent....Now we wait...

I have permission. Question. How many ships are there in the game not counting varients? I think I will take the standard ships and if I so choose to I will make a varient. I mostly made this choice when I deleted all the ships with out realizing it and don't feel like copieng all of those resources <_< Any way, thanks!

Not sure exactly how much difference is required before you count a ship as a wholly new ship (as opposed to a variant) but I count fourty-eight. Fourty-nine if you consider Mod Starbridges to be different ships.

Great idea! When you said "copieng all of those resources" Are you refering to new graphics or the ones from the stock scenario?

Also a question, i made a pirate starbridge with a new engine glow and running lights, and it looks awesome, but when i imported into the game, and my pers went around flying it, you wouldnt even thingk it was a pirate starbridge becuase it had grown poles on the outer wings, and hte odd thing was they were transparent yellow. :huh: Anyone know what happened? The resource IDs are correct.

Another question...How did you do you missions, cuase im doing the same thing for this new gov't, but i cant figure out how to do all of them and i dont know how to make it a string of events.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 03 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

@belthazar, on Jul 3 2006, 04:53 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Not sure exactly how much difference is required before you count a ship as a wholly new ship (as opposed to a variant) but I count fourty-eight. Fourty-nine if you consider Mod Starbridges to be different ships.

I guess I was reffering to the different models. Basicaly it would be stuff like Fed Dest, Reb Dest, Fed Cari, Reb Frig, ect. Not stuff like Fed Dest:Destroyer Class, Heavy Weapons Class, Arouran Outf Detected; Fed Cari: Extra Fighters Dected; Ect.

@chronodrago, on Jul 3 2006, 10:57 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Great idea! When you said "copieng all of those resources" Are you refering to new graphics or the ones from the stock scenario?

Puting the Stock ships Back in the game as I accidentaly deleted them. I accidenttaly deleted the Weaps and Outf <_< I need to be more carefull 'cause I deleted everything from Nova Data 1-6 cept for a few things :sigh: What are the resources for the strings that tell you stuff like "Blasting off from <planet>" or on the opening screen stuff like "Pilot name"? Is it infact the Str Resource, or the #str resource? But I will be adding a few new ships for the mission string. I have added a new ship before so I shuld be able to do it with no problem.

@chronodrago, on Jul 3 2006, 10:57 AM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Also a question, i made a pirate starbridge with a new engine glow and running lights, and it looks awesome, but when i imported into the game, and my pers went around flying it, you wouldnt even thingk it was a pirate starbridge becuase it had grown poles on the outer wings, and hte odd thing was they were transparent yellow. :huh: Anyone know what happened? The resource IDs are correct.

I havent the foggiest. I would need to see it but I am currently buisy wiht my own plug adventures.

Another question...How did you do you missions, cuase im doing the same thing for this new gov't, but i cant figure out how to do all of them

I have only made one and it doesnt quite work right. I havent looked back at it yet because after I tested it I needed to go to bed, it was like 4 AM.

and i dont know how to make it a string of events.

Thats just making it change a NCB(Nova Control Bit) when its completed and having the next mission require that bit to be set. I havent fiddled with bits yet but I will soon enough.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 03 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Ok I fixed the lack of information by adding back #STR resource 2002(misc strings). I have also added back most of what I forgot but I won't be surprised if I forgot something. For making missions and other texts what are all of the variables like <PN>. I need them for making missions and the such. Also, do they work for anything else like outf?

(Edit): Also, When a mission pops up, how do you make it have multiple windows before the actual accept of delcine buttons appear?

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 03 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

@wonderboy, on Jul 3 2006, 12:38 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Puting the Stock ships Back in the game as I accidentaly deleted them. I accidenttaly deleted the Weaps and Outf <_< I need to be more carefull 'cause I deleted everything from Nova Data 1-6 cept for a few things :sigh: What are the resources for the strings that tell you stuff like "Blasting off from <planet>" or on the opening screen stuff like "Pilot name"? Is it infact the Str Resource, or the #str resource? But I will be adding a few new ships for the mission string. I have added a new ship before so I shuld be able to do it with no problem.

Ah, that suks. If you want i can send you all the nova data from 1.0.9. 😄 The Blasting off and the pilot names are both str#. The str# is in Nova Data 5 and is resource ID 2002. its the misc strings and the blasting off is not to far from the top. The pilot names is the first str#, 128.

I have only made one and it doesnt quite work right. I havent looked back at it yet because after I tested it I needed to go to bed, it was like 4 AM.

Lol, im farther than you then. I just modeled mine after the sigma shipyards and then i changed em all after i understood how to write a misn.

Thats just making it change a NCB(Nova Control Bit) when its completed and having the next mission require that bit to be set. I havent fiddled with bits yet but I will soon enough.

Im hoping that the NCB u use is Sxxx and the xxx is the misn ID otherwise im totally confused and screwed over.

@wonderboy, on Jul 3 2006, 01:48 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Ok I fixed the lack of information by adding back #STR resource 2002(misc strings). I have also added back most of what I forgot but I won't be surprised if I forgot something. For making missions and other texts what are all of the variables like <PN>. I need them for making missions and the such. Also, do they work for anything else like outf?

Sry dont know em. Only <PN> (pilot name) <PSN> (pilot ship name) <TS> (travel stellar) <RS> (return stellar)

(Edit): Also, When a mission pops up, how do you make it have multiple windows before the actual accept of delcine buttons appear?

Sadly, the accept and decline appear on the first desc resource of the misn, so you cant have mutliple pop-ups unless you wrote so dam much that there isnt enough room. 😛 If you accept, you enter the breifing desc. Then after that is the cargo pickup and dropoff desc. Then theres the completion desc. If you decline then theres the decline desc. There is also a seperate desc for failing/aborting and a few other ones like that.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 03 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

For making missions and other texts what are all of the variables like <PN>.

Look at the end of the mďsn section of the Nova Bible.

Also, do they work for anything else like outf?

(EDIT) Nope, sorry.

Can't be done. However, dëscs can be quite long indeed, so you shouldn't have any need to put in multiple dialog boxes.

@chronodrago, on Jul 3 2006, 04:40 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

Im hoping that the NCB u use is Sxxx and the xxx is the misn ID otherwise im totally confused and screwed over.

Putting Sxxx in a mission's OnSuccess field will cause mission xxx to start the instant the first mission ends, without giving you the "yes/no" offer text. To make a mission appear normally, put "Bxxx" (where xxx is any unused NCB) in Mission A's OnSuccess field, and put "Bxxx" in Mission B's Availability field.

Furthermore, in order to prevent missions from appearing again after you have finished them, you should actually set things up more like this:
MissionA: Availability="!Bxxx", OnSuccess="Bxxx"
MissionB: Availability="Bxxx & !Byyy", OnSuccess="Byyy"
MissionC: Availability="Byyy & !Bzzz", OnSuccess="Bzzz" ... etc.
The "!"s cause the missions to only be available when the bit that they set is not set. See this thread for more details.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 03 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

@edwards, on Jul 3 2006, 07:56 PM, said in I'm Working on a new side string:

WonderBoy, on Jul 3 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

Can't be done. However, dëscs can be quite long indeed, so you shouldn't have any need to put in multiple dialog boxes.

You sure 'cause I have seen this happen in the stock scenario. It might have been a mission with the can't decline feild checked so you appear to be just reading a text but are realy accepting a misison that will be completed with no completion text when you complete the real mission. So 2 text boxes talkin about the mission are realy 2 seprate missions that one of which are invisible.
@chronodrago: I backed up all of the files before I changed anything. It was just annoying to combine all of the deleted stuff that wasent getting erased from my plug.

I think I will post the first mission text but I will hide it. Well I would it the color stuff would work...what color is the back ground for the posts?

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 03 July 2006 - 07:30 PM