Delphi Ship Creations

For any of you who've played Polycon (which I don't know why you'd be trying to develop plug-ins without having tried any), I decided to make a freighter mockup of the Tyridium Cruiser. If I spelled that wrong, don't let me know. 😄

I only have two images because the repetitive pattern of the hull was making my computer dizzy.

Can someone remind me why I keep posting? Anyway, to commend Meaker on his incredible work on my Medical Dingy, I would like to present these screenshots...

Yes I am, aren't I? I'm also under attack, you stupid computer. No offense intended towards the AI, engine, or the planet. Just venting.

I don't know if you can see me through the hellhound explosion (take that, "little puffs of fire"~Darthkev)

Yes, I'm a Vell-os in a Medical Dingy...

I was just messing around. Don't think I couldn't have conquered it...

Of course, I still have most of the galaxy, and the Independent and Aurorans are the easiest, but I've got a couple other pilots where the maps look WAY different.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 30 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if you can see me through the hellhound explosion (take that, "little puffs of fire"~Darthkev)

Well that looks like it's only one missile. That, or you just have a highly advanced graphics card... but I doubt it with your 10-year-old Mac.

Yes, I'm a Vell-os in a Medical Dingy...

Funny that a Medical Dinghy would be capable of so much destruction. What did you name that custom red beam weapon? Looks dangerous.

Well, the plug is still in progress, and I haven't developed names for any weapons yet, except the quad burst railgun. I don't know what you call advanced, but my graphics card is only 64mb. It had to be upgraded for downloading video from our video camera. And, I have yet to tone down the Med Dingy's stats. The only one I want to tweak a lot is the shielding. Because it was so large before I scaled it, it was a medical frigate. It now has 900 shield, unchanged from the frigate. It does have 170 armor. Still gotta tweak cargo and speed. other than that, it's done. Now, for a new ship. I introduce to you... The Sphinx Class Command Ship:

And... How the bridge crew feels. I suppose I'm wasting everyone's time with these shots, but I think they're cool. Especially in the fighters.

To be honest, the only reason I like the red beam is because of the color it ionizes other ships. I think red valks look really cool. You've seen the hostility sense outfit picture, right? I think it's awesome.

This is made out of four pieces. I kid you not.

Cool. Is the last image from inside the bridge? Also, I'm assuming the bridge is the trapezoid at the rear, right? The one with a hole in the front. And you even added doorways to the rest of the ship from the fighter bays! Nice attention to detail!

I believe you when you say it was made from four pieces. While I haven't made anything using only four pieces myself, I did make a fighter that only took three types of pieces. The Archon Fin, the Large Cannon, and my Cockpit. I still have to paint it, though...

I'll try that, and I'll bet it'll look almost like yours. And if you're going by piece type , it only has three. I have an engine, I have the fins, and I think the body is an anything piece. And yes, that's from the bridge. Eventually, I'll make the inside of a cockpit for the Airborne TC. And if you'll notice something about the bays, they're missing something important. Can you guess?

Answer, but it's common sense, so you should get it without cheating: The fighters.

Not so many pieces huh... How about this four piece fighter...

After struggling to come up with an actually eye-pleasing design, my modern-styled fighter. It's quite hard to forge a fighter as sleek and awesome as the Subarashii because SketchUp specializes in blocky, complex designs. Like the latter, my fighter utilizes thrust ports that allow it to turn a lot quicker than normal.

@ Sp3cies: That looks really good! I really like the effects you added!

@ Manticore: That looks great overall, but you might want to use the Cockpit piece darthkev made. If you don't have it, it's somewhere in this thread. It just seems like you're missing the two most important parts of a fighter. The cockpit, which is undefined/unnoticable, and the pilot! 😛

Well Darthkev, I took the same pieces you used, and came up with a bunch of different designs, hopefully one I guessed right on...

And, I added my 'usual flair'...

And another cockpit view...

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 31 2010, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@ Manticore: That looks great overall, but you might want to use the Cockpit piece darthkev made. If you don't have it, it's somewhere in this thread. It just seems like you're missing the two most important parts of a fighter. The cockpit, which is undefined/unnoticable, and the pilot! 😛

I'd prefer not to use a cockpit--while it would make a fighter appear more complete, a glass (or whatever material) cockpit wouldn't do much to protect you when a missile's headed its way. Better to be hidden under at least 5-10 feet of heavy metal. 😛

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 01 September 2010 - 01:10 AM

Well, what I mean is, it looks like the fuselage of a fightercraft. It's missing stuff. I think if you enlarged the cockpit enough, and added some details (you could use the archon plate etc, etc, for your ARMOR), it would look more like a fighter.

Interesting fighter, Sp3cies. I have to admit, I never thought of using the 'Anything Piece' as a wing before.

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Aug 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... a fighter as sleek and awesome as the Subarashii...

The Subarashii is not a fighter. It's 20 meters long and has a crew of 20. It's much too epic to be a fighter. 😄

That said, I kind of agree with Jai. It doesn't look like a complete fighter, but rather more like a warship.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 31 2010, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Darthkev, I took the same pieces you used, and came up with a bunch of different designs, hopefully one I guessed right on...

The last of your four guessed designs is closest, but not quite right. I don't expect you to ever get it, though, as I added a few extra lines of my own. Not whole pieces, just making extra faces to add more elements to the fighter. You'll see it in the HOTS thread once I get to the pirate ships. Or you could just go into the gallery...

I have been to your gallery, and unless you've updated it recently, I've seen everything. I'll probably go just to take another look. And I don't mean to disagree with either of you, but the Subarashii seems more of a gunboat to me.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Sep 1 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to your gallery, and unless you've updated it recently, I've seen everything.

Oh believe me, it's there. Remember, it's not painted yet so it's one of the plain white ones.

And I don't mean to disagree with either of you, but the Subarashii seems more of a gunboat to me.

Eh, I'd say it's more like a Starbridge on steroids. Both have unique maneuverability methods, both are sleek, both are much more capable than they seem they should be... the list goes on. In fact, the Subarashii could even be the Starbridge's evil twin! The Starbridge is white while the Subarashii is black.

Hmm. I guess the only difference is if you want to dig through the Arpia plugs to set it as its own plug. Of course, I favor the heavily armed variant of the largest and last ship you can access. Don't remember the name. And, the Starbridge and Subarashii look pretty different, so good luck getting it to stick. I mean, stat wise, about the same, yeah. But looks, I prefer the Subarashii. For combat, the IDA frigate. HA! Thought I was gonna say starbridge, right? You're wrong! Mwaha. Mwahaha. 😛

• :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: *

king_of_manticores that thing looks brilliant.
I don't think you should use a cockpit either. I don't have any on my ships either for exactly the reason you stated.

The anything piece can make slick wings especially if you cut it up into smaller chunks.

QUOTE (Sp3cies @ Sep 1 2010, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you should use a cockpit either. I don't have any on my ships either for exactly the reason you stated.

The anything piece can make slick wings especially if you cut it up into smaller chunks.

Well, there is a good reason for a cockpit. The reason all my ships have cockpits/viewports is because of sensor jamming technologies. What do you do when the enemy fills the region with interference and you can't see where you're going with the active sensors? Or better yet, what if you're trying to be stealthy and have the sensors in passive (no ping) mode?

In such cases, you need to be able to actually see where you're going, and video screens/VR displays/holograms are a layer of complexity that is vulnerable to Murphy's laws. In A New Hope , Obi-wan said, "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them." That goes double for the kind of interface that would be required in your fighter, king_of_manticores.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Sep 1 2010, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. I guess the only difference is if you want to dig through the Arpia plugs to set it as its own plug. Of course, I favor the heavily armed variant of the largest and last ship you can access. Don't remember the name. And, the Starbridge and Subarashii look pretty different, so good luck getting it to stick. I mean, stat wise, about the same, yeah. But looks, I prefer the Subarashii. For combat, the IDA frigate. HA! Thought I was gonna say starbridge, right? You're wrong! Mwaha. Mwahaha. 😛

• :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: *

Me, I'm a capital ship person. I love the Heavy Weapons Platform Carachnor.

This post has been edited by StarSword : 01 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 31 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Subarashii is not a fighter. It's 20 meters long and has a crew of 20. It's much too epic to be a fighter. 😄

20 meters?!? The Space Shuttle is 60 meters, and it has a crew of 7 crammed into it. And can carry a cargo of ~26 (regular) tons, and has a mass of 2000 tons. I suppose that if you replaced the cargo space with crew quarters, it'd work better, but then you'd need to remember that the space shuttle can't get into orbit on it's own, let alone break escape velocity and leave the planetary system.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 31 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only assume it to be one because it's about as big as a Starbridge, though you're correct--it's too epic to be a fighter. 😛

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Sep 1 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, I'd say it's more like a Starbridge on steroids. Both have unique maneuverability methods, both are sleek, both are much more capable than they seem they should be... the list goes on. In fact, the Subarashii could even be the Starbridge's evil twin! The Starbridge is white while the Subarashii is black.

That's actually such a plausible idea that I'd be willing to accept that belief.

QUOTE (Sp3cies @ Sep 1 2010, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're joking, right? It looks terrible to me. 😛

QUOTE (StarSword @ Sep 1 2010, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there is a good reason for a cockpit. The reason all my ships have cockpits/viewports is because of sensor jamming technologies. What do you do when the enemy fills the region with interference and you can't see where you're going with the active sensors? Or better yet, what if you're trying to be stealthy and have the sensors in passive (no ping) mode?

That goes double for the kind of interface that would be required in your fighter, king_of_manticores.

Meh, use your imagination. Imagine one of my pieces as a cockpit. 😛