Which is better, Confeds or Rebels?

Originally posted by Jeremy Woodruff:
**try to remember back to fifth grade...when we were given assignments to determine fact, and opinion...saying, "i think that rebels are better", is an opinion yes. saying "the rebels are better", can be a fact! all you have to do is have supporting evidence, and every damn statistic, idea, and concept that pertains to them. simple.

No, it can't. Every concept and statistic and idea still wouldn't prove it, it only lead someone down the same path that lead you to think the rebels are the best. There is no way to objectively state "Rebels are the best", and supporting evidence won't help. I could say "The government sucks" and mention every piece of supporting evidence, but that won't make it a fact. In fact, even stating "rebels are better" implies the "I think" because there is no way the rebels could be objectively better, the only way they can be better is by your interpretation of them.

------------------

Put it this way: In real life, the rebels would be crushed in no time, due to the fact that they don't have good ships. Rebel ships are always beaten by their confed counterparts, and they would lose ships so fast they wouldn't know what to do.

------------------
Hornet
------------------
(url="http://"HTTP://WWW.v-west.in2home.co.uk/zac/zac.html")My cool EV/O website(/url)
Email:
(url="http://"mailto:zac@v-west.in2home.co.uk")mailto:zac@v-west.in2home.co.uk(/url)zac@v-west.in2home.co.uk

Originally posted by Yoda:
**Rebels are better.
Heres why:

A.)The three best combat ships in the game are:
_1.) Corvette
_2.) Rebel Cruiser
_3.) Rapier

B.) Rebels have the Cloaking Device and Tractor beam, which are much better than a wimpy confed Particle Beam. Hell, 5 proton cannons do as much damage a particle beam, but the particle beam will use up all your fuel in 8 seconds.

C.) Rebels are cooler.

The only time I prefer confeds is if I'm playing Pale.

Hate to say this but your thinking is flawed. The best combat ship is the Confed Cruiser. You can take an unmodified one into battle and almost always pull out. I am all for the rebellion but this is just a fact.

------------------
Why is there yogurt in this cap?
-It used to be milk but time makes fools of us all.

well fox, according to simon, there are no "facts", everything is subjective to a person's reality, through their perspective. i guess we just live in a world of questions, not answers.

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

**well fox, according to simon, there are no "facts", everything is subjective to a person's reality, through their perspective. i guess we just live in a world of questions, not answers.

I never said that, did I? You know fully well what I stated: that the term "better" and can't be proved. There are plenty of facts, but opinions can not be facts. If you say "I think the rebels are better" than it would be a fact, because your brain is sending electrical signals that prove you do, in fact, think they are better. Please don't try to distort what I'm saying any more.

------------------

Nine bloody pages long? Ack!

"I never said that, did I? You know fully well what I stated: that the term "better" and can't be proved. There are plenty of facts, but opinions can not be facts. If you say "I think the rebels are better" than it would be a fact, because your brain is sending electrical signals that prove you do, in fact, think they are better. Please don't try to distort what I'm saying any more."

----heh, sometimes i like throwing out random insanities like that, can you blame me? nah. anyways, back to the argument. so you're saying that an opinion can't coincide with a fact? the united states consists of 50 states...fact. i think that the united states consists of 50 states...opinion. still true! but still, we aren't saying "i think", we're saying that it's better. now, let's take a look at the definition of "better"...

bet0ter1 (bRt2ล‘r) adj. Comparative of good.
1. Greater in excellence or higher in quality than another of the same class, set, or kind.
2. More useful, suitable, or desirable than another or others.
3. More highly skilled or adept than another or others.
4. Greater or larger.
5. More advantageous or favorable than others; improved.
6. Healthier or more fit than before.

well, by the definition of better here, our opinions, can now be put into fact... because number 2 states, more useful, suitable, or desirable than another or others. well guess what, the rebellion is more desirable to me, thus, it's better. but then again, does that make it a fact overall? no, not to you at least, unless it's just based on my perspective and mine alone. but!, there is a way to make it a complete fact, by taking everyone, and anyone's opinion on the subject. if everyone was to agree it was better, or more desirable, or whatever you want to say, then it would be a fact, to state that it was better.

but still, you could rely on the argument, but that is from everyone's opinion, and it wouldn't be a fact because it's foundry is off of people's perspective still. well, let's look at the fourth definition... greater, or larger. by taking all of the statistics, every single little fact, we could determine whether or not the rebellion was larger than the confederacy, and if it was, after every single fact, then it would be BETTER! take that chicago! JEREMY WOODRUFF STRIKES AGAIN! please, no presents. thank you, thank you, come again.

...and that's the end of that chapter.

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Ahhh... Jeremy you are outnumbered and wrong.Read what they say before you say they are wrong!All ure doin is diggin a hole (Go jump in it for Pete's Sake!!)

------------------

Ahhh... Jeremy you are outnumbered and wrong.Read what they say before you say they are wrong!All ure doin is diggin a hole (Go jump in it for Pete's Sake!!)

------------------

------------------

I'd have to say the confederation is the best they have the most powerfull ships they beat
the aliens in the great war. ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

Nuts to adding HTML tags to all the quotes ๐Ÿ™‚

----heh, sometimes i like throwing out random insanities like that, can you blame me? nah. anyways, back to the argument. so you're saying that an opinion can't coincide with a fact? the united states consists of 50 states...fact. i think that the united states consists of 50 states...opinion. still true! but still, we aren't saying "i >

Saying "I think" before something doesn't make it an opinion. In fact, it makes it a fact- you are, literally, thinking that. "I think Rebels are better" is a fact. "Rebels are better" is an opinion, because they AREN'T inherently better, but can be perceived that way. Note that saying "I think there are 45 states" is a factual statement, as well is "There are 45 states", it's just that the second one is wrong, given the accepted definition of states ๐Ÿ™‚

think", we're saying that it's better. now, let's take a look at the definition of "better"...

bet0ter1 (bRt2ล‘r) adj. Comparative of good.
1. Greater in excellence or higher in quality than another of the same class, set, or kind.
2. More useful, suitable, or desirable than another or others.
3. More highly skilled or adept than another or others.
4. Greater or larger.
5. More advantageous or favorable than others; improved.
6. Healthier or more fit than before.

well, by the definition of better here, our opinions, can now be put into fact... because number 2 states, more useful, suitable, or desirable than another or others. >

Desirable's subjective. Useful depends on too many outside factors, and is uncalculable unless you limit it, and the same applies to suitable. Useful for what? Blowing up?

<well guess what, the rebellion is more desirable to me, thus, it's better. but then again, does that make it a fact overall? no, not to you at least, unless it's just based>

Now you get what I'm saying ๐Ÿ™‚
< on my perspective and mine alone. but!, there is a way to make it a complete fact, by taking everyone, and anyone's opinion on the subject. if everyone was to agree it was >
Never mind ๐Ÿ™‚

<better, or more desirable, or whatever you want to say, then it would be a fact, to state that it was better.>

Nope, but it would be a fact (and a correct fact!) to state that everyone thought it was. What if everyone thought Hitler was a good man? Would that make him good? An even better example goes back to the colors. If everyone thought my shirt was red, and I had it analyzed scientifically, and it turns out it was actually absorbing red light and reflecting blue light, everyone would feel pretty silly, wouldn't they? ๐Ÿ™‚
Facts can never be made into opinions, and vice versa.

but still, you could rely on the argument, but that is from everyone's opinion, and it wouldn't be a fact because it's foundry is off of people's perspective still. well, let's look at the fourth definition... greater, or larger. by taking all of the statistics, every single little fact, we could determine whether or not the rebellion was larger than the confederacy, and if it was, after every single fact, then it would be BETTER! take that chicago! JEREMY WOODRUFF STRIKES AGAIN! please, no presents. thank you, thank you, come again.<

I don't think that definition works well here ๐Ÿ™‚ It's as if you tried to prove that a notorious lady's man was actually a garden implement by saying the definition of rake can be: "a man who lives an immoral life". So what? Mexico City is better than any other city in the world, if you define "better" as "larger". 2 is better than 1 using that definition. Therefore, my side of the argument, with two people on it, is "better" than your side with only you on it. And that's a fact! ๐Ÿ™‚

...and that's the end of that chapter.

(/B)(/QUOTE)

------------------

I'd have to say the confederation is the best they have the most powerfull ships they did beat the aliens in the great war so the rebels should be no problem the confederation shall prevaile. ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

well simon, i see about 3 things i could argue with you, from that last reply, but what is the point? so i can continue my drull meaningless life fulfilling an illusion that i'm cool for posting elaborate ideas and concepts on a board meant for 13 year olds? well, if that is the point, then franktly i'm bored, so, how about we call it a draw, and have a few beers?

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

**well simon, i see about 3 things i could argue with you, from that last reply, but what is the point? so i can continue my drull meaningless life fulfilling an illusion that i'm cool for posting elaborate ideas and concepts on a board meant for 13 year olds? well, if that is the point, then franktly i'm bored, so, how about we call it a draw, and have a few beers?

I always thought the point of discussion was meant to liven life up, to avoid boredom ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't think I'm quite old enough to have a few beers with you, at least not here in the states. Nothing wrong with posting intelligent comments to a board, no matter what the target age group.

------------------

...fighting till death i see, well, i guess you're gonna have to fight with yourself.

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Seeing as how topics like this are childish, purile and uterly pointless, and above all else; they achiev nothing. So with this in mind, I'm not even going to gratify it with a responce...

...damn.

this is an owl----> :>@(

------------------
PED
new media, new ideas.

If www is an abbreviation, how come it's got more syllables?

Originally posted by Hudson:
**Seeing as how topics like this are childish, purile and uterly pointless, and above all else; they achiev nothing. So with this in mind, I'm not even going to gratify it with a responce...

...damn.

this is an owl----> :>@(

Seeing as how it's impossible to achieve ANYTHING on a meaningful scale, there really isn't any point in living. Also, if you had noticed the position of this topic, you'd understand that YOU kept it alive. How is it purile? How is it childish? Looks like someone doesn't understand the English language. It is an oppurtunity for people to enjoy themselves, which you aren't helping by dragging your sorry junior high self into and criticizing- who's childish now? :ลข

------------------

Repost-ignore

(This message has been edited by !Simon (edited 10-03-2000).)

(Oh I love this sort of thing, please be informed that what follows is born out of pure self amusement )

"itย’s impossible to achieve anything on a meaningful scale" I hole heartedly disagree. I am a musician on the side, and have recently recorded and distributed (locally) a CD consisting of 7 tracks. I have had much feed-back from many different people in many different walks of life, and all have said that not only have they enjoyed listening to my music, but have also ย‘connectedย’ with the songs and have benefited spiritually from the experience.
This, my friend, I count as a meaningful achievement on any scale. If your statement above sums up your ย‘world viewย’ then I pity you.

"Also, if you had noticed the position of this topic, you'd understand that YOU kept it alive." Indeed my Yankee friend. English, irony based humour is apparently lost on you.

"How is it puerile? How is it childish? Looks like someone doesn't understand the English language" I have a handful of things in my defence
First, I am Dyslexic and I therefore apologise for any spelling related misunderstandings.
Second, dictionary definitions of "puerile exhibiting silliness; immature; trivial" "childish foolish or petty." What I meant by this was that any mature person, adult or otherwise, would recognise that this sort of discussion is only ever initiated through some hope of a confrontation. How can I justify this statement? Quite easily actually If you review the posted messages, the discussion quickly turned nasty. Not only this but one of the main instigators of the nastiness was, in fact, the same person who first posted this topic.
Third, on the subject of linguistics, my I remind you that the British quite literally, wrote the book on English, and it continues to be an immense source of amusement for me; that Americans quite conveniently flaunt the use of a language that they seldom even spell correctly! By the way, I do actually admire the American nation, I recently wrote my THESIS on American visual culture and the so called "American Dream" in science fiction, and came to some interesting conclusions. I can forward you a copy if you wish.

"It is an opportunity for people to enjoy themselves." What on earth did you think that I was doing? And anyway, if "enjoying themselves" constitutes a group of people effectively shouting at each other (I draw your attention to the extensive use of the CapsLock key in many of the posts above) quite frankly, Iย’d rather be pi$$ board.

"sorry junior high self" I donย’t think I need to justify myself as to why this statement is monumentally incorrect.

And in closing a not so wise American once said "who's childish now?"
I hope we have both learnt something from this experience, and when I say "we" I do, of course, mean you.

"Rule Britannia, Britannia Rules The Waves! Britons never, never, never shall be slaves"

tee hee hee.