Which is better, Confeds or Rebels?

Exactly. Confed supporters are equally vindicated. I don't know if you noticed, but before we had that discussion, no one ever suggested that the Confeds and the rebels could be moral equals. I made the argument and made it stand.

Originally posted by htjyang: not the imposter:
Exactly. Confed supporters are equally vindicated. I don't know if you noticed, but before we had that discussion, no one ever suggested that the Confeds and the rebels could be moral equals. I made the argument and made it stand.

Perhaps, but you did not refute or nutralize the pro-rebel arguments. Rather, you stated the possiblity that depending on your point of view, the Rebels may be on the same moral ground as the confeds. Again, since it is dependant on point of view, you could not have defeated the arguments of the Rebel sympathizers regarding moral questions, and they are as valid today as ever. Confed supporters who agreed with your view may indeed be vindicated, but that has no effect on the legitimacy of the Rebel statements concerning themselves.

------------------
We do not live to work, rather, we work to live.

Originally posted by Begemotike:
**Perhaps, but you did not refute or nutralize the pro-rebel arguments. Rather, you stated the possiblity that depending on your point of view, the Rebels may be on the same moral ground as the confeds. Again, since it is dependant on point of view, you could not have defeated the arguments of the Rebel sympathizers regarding moral questions, and they are as valid today as ever. Confed supporters who agreed with your view may indeed be vindicated, but that has no effect on the legitimacy of the Rebel statements concerning themselves.

Please note that I never claimed that I "defeated the arguments of the Rebel sympathizers." By "neutralize," I was only suggesting that I made the moral ground for Confeds equally high with the rebels. If it was a poor choice of words, I apologize for the confusion.

Originally posted by htjyang: not the imposter:
Please note that I never claimed that I "defeated the arguments of the Rebel sympathizers." By "neutralize," I was only suggesting that I made the moral ground for Confeds equally high with the rebels. If it was a poor choice of words, I apologize for the confusion.

Gotcha.......
By the way, htjyang: not the imposter, if I were making a plug-in, would you mind if I used your character as a Confed officer?

------------------
We do not live to work, rather, we work to live.

In my personal view, I think that most people are Rebels because the Rebel beginning missions are easier to get. Maybe not technically, but when I start a new game I usually get a mission to join the Rebels first. Most people usually stay with the people they first join. And this can be before the person even learns of the nature of the Rebellion. The first time I played this game I joined the Rebels because I got their missions first.
Then if you get a Confed or Rebel Cruiser, either can be upgraded to become extreamly powerful. So the Manta beats the Patrol Ship huh? Whoop dee do. Can the Manta beat a gunboat? Nope. I can say though, that the rebels could benefit for having a ship equal to the Gunboat. The Destroier beats the Frigate. If you side the Gunboat with the Patrol Ship or Frigate, the Confeds could win the battles. The gunboat may be weak, but it was made for sumthing right? Note is was NOT made just to die. It has a chance.
I think the Confeds give only one cruiser in the Ailen Mission for two things.One, the cruiser is a bit more powerful than the Rebel Cruiser, and/or it was to make the mission harder.
Now for some miscellaneous notes, the Confeds want domination. Wow! The Rebels want domination over the Confeds. Amazing, huh? The Rebel ships are prettier than that beat up old Cruiser. So, who cares except you die-hard fans of the Rebels. And also to sum it up, the Confedorates have Earth on their side. Not much, but the human homeworld beats Palshife. Theres my two cents. Now I'm gonna get back to the EVO world.

In my personal view, I think that most people are Rebels because the Rebel beginning missions are easier to get. Maybe not technically, but when I start a new game I usually get a mission to join the Rebels first. Most people usually stay with the people they first join. And this can be before the person even learns of the nature of the Rebellion. The first time I played this game I joined the Rebels because I got their missions first.
Then if you get a Confed or Rebel Cruiser, either can be upgraded to become extreamly powerful. So the Manta beats the Patrol Ship huh? Whoop dee do. Can the Manta beat a gunboat? Nope. I can say though, that the rebels could benefit for having a ship equal to the Gunboat. The Destroier beats the Frigate. If you side the Gunboat with the Patrol Ship or Frigate, the Confeds could win the battles. The gunboat may be weak, but it was made for sumthing right? Note is was NOT made just to die. It has a chance.
I think the Confeds give only one cruiser in the Ailen Mission for two things.One, the cruiser is a bit more powerful than the Rebel Cruiser, and/or it was to make the mission harder.
Now for some miscellaneous notes, the Confeds want domination. Wow! The Rebels want domination over the Confeds. Amazing, huh? The Rebel ships are prettier than that beat up old Cruiser. So, who cares except you die-hard fans of the Rebels. And also to sum it up, the Confedorates have Earth on their side. Not much, but the human homeworld beats Palshife. Theres my two cents. Now I'm gonna get back to the EVO world.

The feds v rebels arguement is great, but lets face it, the rebels are much better than the feds. Their ships are much better, and the way of proving that is by letting them go one on one, with the same ship class.
The gunboat is better than the manta, but then a small fleet of mantas could take them apart. The gunboat is also less manoeverable in comparison to the manta or patrol ship, so really it isn't that good. And if one heavy rocket misses, there's enough time between reloading and firing for a couple of mantas to take down a gunboat.
The destroyer is considerably better than the frigate, because it manoevers better, and in a 1 on 1 battle, the frigate is destroyed every time. Also, the destroyer looks better.
The rebel cruiser is the best cruiser without a doubt. It is incredibly manoeverable when it has had the three upgrades (thrust, RCS and speed), whilst the fed cruiser is still as manoevarble as a 2000ton washing machine. Those big wallowing marshmallows would be hard pressed to win a battle between two human people, because all the rebel cruiser would have to do is load up on torpedoes or missiles, and the fed cruiser would be a sitting duck. Chalk one up for the cruiser, the rebels win again.
As for the special outfits, you'll find that the tractor beam is better than the particle beam, because it doesn't eat up fuel like the particle beam does, and although it does damage, it's not nearly enough, and when used against a light fighter, the fighter is pushed back, and in the time it takes for it to attack again, the shield will have fully recovered. The tractor beam however, is a godsend when fighting the highly manoeverable fighters - the patrol ships, the gunboats, as well as lightnings and rapiers. In fact, in my latest conquest of Ruby, I doubt I could have dominated the planet without it - it kept those gunboats from firing those damn heavy rockets.
Besides, the fed cruiser costs 20million, that's 6 million more than the rebel cruiser. When I finished the fed missions, I couldn't afford the Cruiser and had to go away and do some bounty hunting in order to afford it. When I finished the rebel missions, I had enough cash for the cruiser, and all the armour upgrades, 4 shield enhancers, and a regenerator, all the manoevering upgrades and an extra proton turret. After that, my ship was like a mini fortress. So not only is the ship better in battle, it's considerably better on the wallet too.
For those of you who are wondering, I have done all the rebel missions and all the fed missions (on two different pilot files) so I know all the weapons, how to best use them and what ships are the best. I'm not biased towards either government, because it's only a game, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which government i help to destroy.
And finally, back to the particle beam. I agree that on the fed cruiser a front firing weapon is useless because the fed cruiser is soooo sloooow. Yes I've used guns before. But you try killing a swarm of mantas and a destroyer using only front firing weapons. No turrets (that's cheating, they aren't front firing) and see how you like it. The particle beam is only slightly better than those useless neutron cannons, but you don't get 140tons of space back from the particle beam.
Chalk one up for the rebels, squire.

------------------

hey, bozorg, you've missed something - the rebel destroyer DOES use torpedoes. If you watch a destroyer v frigate battle, you'll see that because the destroyer uses a higher yield weapon, the shield disadvantage disappears. And because the frigate is the backbone of the fed's fleet (read the frigate description in the shipyard) it appears that the confederation fleet has a broken back - and therefore must be paralysed.

------------------

Originally posted by cable_guy:
**The feds v rebels arguement is great, but lets face it, the rebels are much better than the feds.

I respectfully disagree.

**Their ships are much better, and the way of proving that is by letting them go one on one, with the same ship class. The gunboat is better than the manta, but then a small fleet of mantas could take them apart.

The same argument can be used for any ship. A small fleet of Confed frigates can take out a rebel cruiser as well. Shall we say that the Confed frigate is better than rebel cruiser? Never forget that advantage in numbers can go both ways.

**The gunboat is also less manoeverable in comparison to the manta or patrol ship, so really it isn't that good.

I suggest that you take your own counsel. The fact remains that the Confed gunboat can take out a Manta single-handedly.

**And if one heavy rocket misses, there's enough time between reloading and firing for a couple of mantas to take down a gunboat.

Again, I recommend that you keep it at a one AI v. one AI fight as it is the only fair contest. In that fight, the Manta will be toast quickly.

**The destroyer is considerably better than the frigate, because it manoevers better, and in a 1 on 1 battle, the frigate is destroyed every time. Also, the destroyer looks better.

Agreed except the last point. Personal taste cannot be measured with a universal standard much less a personal standard.

**The rebel cruiser is the best cruiser without a doubt. It is incredibly manoeverable when it has had the three upgrades (thrust, RCS and speed), whilst the fed cruiser is still as manoevarble as a 2000ton washing machine. Those big wallowing marshmallows would be hard pressed to win a battle between two human people, because all the rebel cruiser would have to do is load up on torpedoes or missiles, and the fed cruiser would be a sitting duck. Chalk one up for the cruiser, the rebels win again.

First of all, hyperbole won't help your case. Second of all, comparing human players is difficult because there can be no fair comparison. One can always assume that one human player is more experienced than the other. Or one human player has better reflexes than another. Not to mention a dozen other factors. The only fair comparison is an AI v. AI fight. In that fight, the rebel cruiser usually ends up as scrap metal.

**As for the special outfits, you'll find that the tractor beam is better than the particle beam, because it doesn't eat up fuel like the particle beam does, and although it does damage, it's not nearly enough, and when used against a light fighter, the fighter is pushed back, and in the time it takes for it to attack again, the shield will have fully recovered. The tractor beam however, is a godsend when fighting the highly manoeverable fighters - the patrol ships, the gunboats, as well as lightnings and rapiers. In fact, in my latest conquest of Ruby, I doubt I could have dominated the planet without it - it kept those gunboats from firing those damn heavy rockets.

First of all, define "enough" damage. Second of all, why would you want to use the particle beam against a fighter? That is nothing but a waste of fuel. No fighter can ever complete a run against my Confed cruiser therefore I never use the particle beam against a fighter.

**Besides, the fed cruiser costs 20million, that's 6 million more than the rebel cruiser. When I finished the fed missions, I couldn't afford the Cruiser and had to go away and do some bounty hunting in order to afford it. When I finished the rebel missions, I had enough cash for the cruiser, and all the armour upgrades, 4 shield enhancers, and a regenerator, all the manoevering upgrades and an extra proton turret. After that, my ship was like a mini fortress. So not only is the ship better in battle, it's considerably better on the wallet too.

Your claim that the rebel cruiser is better has already been refuted above. I hope that you played EV enough times to realize that the game comes to a point when money doesn't matter. Besides, I would suggest that the Confed cruiser is worth every single credit.

**For those of you who are wondering, I have done all the rebel missions and all the fed missions (on two different pilot files) so I know all the weapons, how to best use them and what ships are the best. I'm not biased towards either government, because it's only a game, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which government i help to destroy.

Interesting. Considering that I did the same and arrived at very different conclusions.

**And finally, back to the particle beam. I agree that on the fed cruiser a front firing weapon is useless because the fed cruiser is soooo sloooow. Yes I've used guns before. But you try killing a swarm of mantas and a destroyer using only front firing weapons. No turrets (that's cheating, they aren't front firing) and see how you like it.

Now why would I deliberately handicap myself? So that my ship will be destroyed? Turrets work very well for me, thank you very much.

**The particle beam is only slightly better than those useless neutron cannons, but you don't get 140tons of space back from the particle beam.
Chalk one up for the rebels, squire.

The particle beam is only useful when you know how to use it.

**And because the frigate is the backbone of the fed's fleet (read the frigate description in the shipyard) it appears that the confederation fleet has a broken back - and therefore must be paralysed.

Being paralyzed is better than being brain dead. As one can easily imagine, in a fleet action, the largest warship usually serves as the command ship. Since the rebel cruiser is inferior when compared to its Confed counterpart, it'll be destroyed quicker in an even fight. Losing the command ship can cause serious disorder for a fleet not to mention a serious dent to their morale.

That's our point. It does take two manta's to take one patrol ship! :eek: And what's all this 'Patrol ship's have roughly the same shields'? Maybe they do, but whenever a Manta takes on a Patrol ship, the patrol wins with at least 30% shields left. The real answer to the question depends on what you are looking for. If you prefer good ships, go with the Confederation, if you prefer a good fight, the Rebels are best.

Are we all playing 1.0.5 here? Where the mantas have 2 missiles instead of the single one they used to have? Now it's a fair contest, and the battles are won half the time by the mantas, half the time by the patrol ships. However, that's not my point.
My point is that the Rebel Cruiser doesn't end up as scrap metal because in an AI vs AI battle (which is, quite rightly, the only way to compare ships), it is the feds that end up as burnt out pieces of space junk. It's always very close, but the fact is that the feds refuse to use anything but the turrets and the neutron cannons, whereas the rebel cruiser uses missiles. This means that even though it has one less proton turret as standard, it can put up a good fight, and often runs out winner.
The truth is, though, that the reason that certain AI ships always win is because each ship has different tactics. I only wish that there was some sort of way that we could compare the ships, human vs. human, but of course there's no network game, so that's impossible.
For example, the frigate would EASILY be able to destroy the destroyer IF it fought using it's torpedoes rather than it's missiles. But it doesn't, so it loses every time. It's not so much about ship comparisons in AI vs AI, but instead tactics comparisons, so again we're back to stage one argueing.

Oh, and I DO know how to use the particle cannon properly. I spent a good few hours on my confed game blasting rebels to smitherines, 'htjyang: not the imposter'. I did come to the stage where credits no longer mattered. And, quite frankly, I found that when you're on the cruiser, you can't bring the weapon round fast enough. When you use the particle beam, it doesn't do damage fast enough to capital ships (cruisers and destroyers) to make a real difference in a fight, and if you DID need to make an escape (hardly likely, really), then you're out of fuel.
I've played EV for hours and hours and hours. It's one of the few games that runs well on my old 630, and it's also the best game I have. I've played on the side of the rebels, the feds, even done a stint of pirating, so don't tell ME that I don't have enough experience to argue with you. I am impartial. It's a game, it doesn't matter who lives or dies, I just care about having fun. So I'm just giving my opinion, and in my opinion, the rebels are better. So don't you EVER tell me that you're better. OKAY?

------------------

**Are we all playing 1.0.5 here?

Yes.

**Where the mantas have 2 missiles instead of the single one they used to have? Now it's a fair contest, and the battles are won half the time by the mantas, half the time by the patrol ships. However, that's not my point.

If you read my reply carefully, you might notice that I never mentioned a contest between Mantas and patrol ships. In my experience, Mantas are faster and more maneurverable than patrol ships. If both of their missiles hit the enemy patrol ship, then the Manta stands a good chance of destroying the patrol ship. However, if just one of those missiles impacted on an asteroid, then the battle will be a stalemate.

**My point is that the Rebel Cruiser doesn't end up as scrap metal because in an AI vs AI battle (which is, quite rightly, the only way to compare ships), it is the feds that end up as burnt out pieces of space junk. It's always very close, but the fact is that the feds refuse to use anything but the turrets and the neutron cannons, whereas the rebel cruiser uses missiles. This means that even though it has one less proton turret as standard, it can put up a good fight, and often runs out winner.

That's an interesting observation. I've often observed that given enough distance, the Confed cruiser always fires its torpedoes. Consider the following:

a) torpedoes are more powerful than missiles,
🆒 neutron blaster can be fairly damaging especially when used by the computer since the computer can switch between secondary weapons quickly (although admittedly, the Confed cruiser doesn't fire its neutron blaster very often)
c) Confed cruiser has more gun slots than the rebel cruiser.

My observations indicate that in a one on one fight between the 2 kinds of cruisers (provided that neither fought a battle just prior) , the rebel cruiser always end up on the losing (and thus dead) side.

**The truth is, though, that the reason that certain AI ships always win is because each ship has different tactics. I only wish that there was some sort of way that we could compare the ships, human vs. human, but of course there's no network game, so that's impossible.

Again, a very interesting conclusion since I came to a fairly different conclusion from my own observations. It seems that the tactics for all AI ships are similar, namely the suicide run tactic (although the word "suicide" is usually inappropriate for frigate class vessels and above). In short, both side run straight toward one another. When far away, they fire projectile weapons and fighters. When close, they fire primary weapons (or in the case of the Confed cruiser, neutron blasters as well). I've never seen an AI try Monty Python, or circling,...etc.

I still maintain, as in my last post, that the only objective way to compare ships is a one AI v. one AI fight because human skills vary.

**For example, the frigate would EASILY be able to destroy the destroyer IF it fought using it's torpedoes rather than it's missiles. But it doesn't, so it loses every time. It's not so much about ship comparisons in AI vs AI, but instead tactics comparisons, so again we're back to stage one argueing.

Another interesting observation (they seem to be endless). I've always observed Confed frigates firing their torpedoes. The reason why I believe that the rebel destroyer usually wins in a fair contest is because the rebel destroyer carries more torpedoes than the Confed frigate (12 v. 6). In addition, the rebel destroyer's maneuverabiltiy is better than the frigate. Therefore the rebel destroyer can turn around faster and fire more torpedoes.

**Oh, and I DO know how to use the particle cannon properly. I spent a good few hours on my confed game blasting rebels to smitherines, 'htjyang: not the imposter'.

Interesting assertion, considering how your prior statements about the particle beam contradicts with that experience.

**I did come to the stage where credits no longer mattered.

Another interesting assertion, considering that you specifically pointed out the price difference between the 2 kinds of cruisers.

**And, quite frankly, I found that when you're on the cruiser, you can't bring the weapon round fast enough. When you use the particle beam, it doesn't do damage fast enough to capital ships (cruisers and destroyers) to make a real difference in a fight, and if you DID need to make an escape (hardly likely, really), then you're out of fuel.

I must say I am at a loss at understanding this statement. Since only a human player can use the particle beam, I assume that you are speaking as a human player. If so, then surely you have purchased speed, acceleration, and RCS upgrades to help your Confed cruiser maneuver. Your assertion that the weapon could not be brought around fast enough is only applicable for a Confed cruiser that has not received those upgrades.

I also spent many hours using the particle beam and I never found the necessity to run away from a fight. The magnitude of the contribution of the beam is hard to assess although there can be no dispute that it certainly helps.

**I've played EV for hours and hours and hours. It's one of the few games that runs well on my old 630, and it's also the best game I have.

I think I can speak for Ambrosia when I say that I am glad that you enjoyed it.

**I've played on the side of the rebels, the feds, even done a stint of pirating, so don't tell ME that I don't have enough experience to argue with you. I am impartial. It's a game, it doesn't matter who lives or dies, I just care about having fun. So I'm just giving my opinion, and in my opinion, the rebels are better. So don't you EVER tell me that you're better. OKAY?

Please note: I've never said that you don't have enough experience to discuss this issue. I can also assure you that I never had the intention to imply as much. If you took offense (since people so easily take offense these days), then I apologize. It was never my intention to offend anyone. Just as you were expressing your opinion about what works and what doesn't, I was expressing my own.

I hope you can realize that I am also impartial. That I also spent many hours on both sides in order to reach my conclusions. I agree that it is a game and the most important thing about it is to have fun.

Just as you were expressing your opinion in a public forum, so was I. In my opinion, the Confeds have the edge. I never had the intention of telling you that I am somehow better. (The truth is, I don't even know you. I have no basis for assessment.) I can only suggest that you read what I said (wrote? or typed?) as is. Don't bother reading between the lines searching for hidden insults when there is none. There is nothing between the lines.

Sorry about getting annoyed, but it was a bad day. I've had too many of those recently.
Anyway, yeah, I'm sure that you do believe the feds are better, but you're outvoted quite a bit. Read through the replies in this topic - looked yet? Then you'll see how many people disagree with you. I don't hold a grudge cuz you like the feds, I just think that the rebels are better.
However, I think that the two sides in the game have ships that are equal overall. The fed ships are more powerful, and if you are the sort of person who goes wading in all guns blazing, and likes to load up your ship with everything, then go with the feds.
If, however, you like to stay outside the range of turrets and guns most of the time and prefer to blast the opposition with torpedoes, missiles and god knows what else, then go with the rebels. I prefer the latter tactics, which is probably why I prefer the rebels. You decide in the end, because no-one else should make up your mind for you - just go with the government you prefer.

Note - I don't want this reply disected by anyone, okay?

------------------

If any of the rebel fans have noticed, to tell you the truth, the rebel planets are way to easy to take over because REBELS BLOW. Take a look at Ruby and Earth. HELL even the PIRATES have less planets and better defended Planets than the rebels. I have 1 Confederate planet taken over about 10 rebel planets taken over, and 18 independent, no pirates. Also take note that I have a Kestral, 6 escorts, and fully equipped 3 lightnings (i got the extra one from a ketral derelic and took it)
I dont care if you dont beleive me! because ill even send you my game if you want to check it out!
Long live Confederates and the FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, has any of you taken the time to watch a dogfight againts a Rebel Crusier and a Confed Cruiser? The Confeds win that one
I admit that the manta can take on a patrol ship anytime it wants just one on one. And it is equal enough for the frigate and the destroyer to alsmost all the time a one on one that they both are disabled in the end (which is good for me becuase sometimes i destroy both and get my rating up even though i already have ultimate, its just fun)
Most say that the particle beam is useless, i say they are wrong!!!
I had it since i was in my corvette and man can that think kick butt!
I took down a rebel cruiser and all the mantas with some fuel left with the particle beam and nothing else, think about what you would get with the rebels?
a tractor beam and a cloaking device.
First the Tractor beam. Ok i can understand every rebel fan likes to bring the enemy closer just to get themselves killed (what morons :redface: )
Next the Cloaking device. Sure i would love to take away all my sheilds just to be a wimp and run away from fights. and also the fuel it takes up!!!!! It takes fuel about 4 times as much as the Particle beam and is USELESS
And come on!!! the mass driver should be deleted its so bad!! And it takes 40 tons away!!! i'd rather use it on missles or space bombs or heavy rockets? I would actually take away 10 tons and get a bay, but thats me 🙂 Do i make my self clear? GO CONFEDERATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

It doesn't matter to me whether you like the feds or the rebels. It's all about having fun, right? That's the point of a game, or at least it was the last time I looked.
I prefer siding with the rebels, not because they are on a higher moral plane (although I believe that they are, that's open to arguement if you want), but because they are, in all honesty, the underdogs in this battle - they have less finance, raw materials and everything else than the feds do. However, I do like the manoeverability of the Rebel ships, and I think (this is an opinion, don't bite my head off for having one) that the rebel ships look better.
I can never be bothered to take over planets, just Ruby and Matar have been dominated by myself and rather large compliment of escorts (fed cruisers and frigates - don't believe me? I'll send you my game) at the minute, and I don't intend to take any others over. At the moment.
It's funny that you've observed the frigates deploying torpedoes, maybe I missed that one. It's just that each time I watch, they do those suicide runs straight at each other, firing the turrets and deploying heavy rockets when they get close, but when they don't fire their turrets, the destroyer fires torpedoes, the frigate fires missiles. The frigate only fires torpedoes when it's fighting a cruiser, at least that's all I've seen.
I have to say that the cruiser vs. cruiser battle is very even, and it goes either way, but it often hinges on the fighters left - if the mantas survive (and they often do) then the rebel usually wins, because the mantas distract the fed cruiser whilst the rebel cruiser launches all it's got at it, so it gives the rebel the advantage. Maybe you've seen different, but that's what I've observed recently. Of course, if the patrol ships survive, then it's the opposite.
I also think the battle would be closer if the rebel cruiser had 4 proton turrets instead of the 3 it has as standard. It would perhaps make for closer 1on1 battles between the two.
Currently I've taken to hunting down the U.S.S. ships (the sarratoga being the latest casualty) and destroying them. It's quite fun.
But I think that as long as you enjoy your time playing EV, then it doesn't matter which government you work for.

------------------

**It doesn't matter to me whether you like the feds or the rebels. It's all about having fun, right? That's the point of a game, or at least it was the last time I looked.

Absolutely.

**I prefer siding with the rebels, not because they are on a higher moral plane (although I believe that they are, that's open to arguement if you want), but because they are, in all honesty, the underdogs in this battle - they have less finance, raw materials and everything else than the feds do.

I have observed that many people prefer to side with underdogs. I've been saying: the only thing the Confederation needs is...

A GOOD IMAGE CONSULTANT! 🙂

**However, I do like the manoeverability of the Rebel ships,

True, they are more maneuverable than their Confed equivalents.

**and I think (this is an opinion, don't bite my head off for having one) that the rebel ships look better.
I can never be bothered to take over planets, just Ruby and Matar have been dominated by myself and rather large compliment of escorts (fed cruisers and frigates - don't believe me? I'll send you my game)

That's unnecessary. I believe you. Many people have done the same.

**at the minute, and I don't intend to take any others over. At the moment.
It's funny that you've observed the frigates deploying torpedoes, maybe I missed that one.

When the frigate is a fair distance away from its enemy, it fires torpedoes if it has them. (Sometimes they might be depleted due to a prior battle.

**It's just that each time I watch, they do those suicide runs straight at each other, firing the turrets and deploying heavy rockets when they get close, but when they don't fire their turrets, the destroyer fires torpedoes, the frigate fires missiles. The frigate only fires torpedoes when it's fighting a cruiser, at least that's all I've seen.
I have to say that the cruiser vs. cruiser battle is very even, and it goes either way, but it often hinges on the fighters left - if the mantas survive (and they often do) then the rebel usually wins, because the mantas distract the fed cruiser whilst the rebel cruiser launches all it's got at it, so it gives the rebel the advantage. Maybe you've seen different, but that's what I've observed recently. Of course, if the patrol ships survive, then it's the opposite.

Sometimes surviving Mantas do make an excellent distraction. However, it has been my observation that a Confed cruiser easily removes that distraction.

**I also think the battle would be closer if the rebel cruiser had 4 proton turrets instead of the 3 it has as standard. It would perhaps make for closer 1on1 battles between the two.

Absolutely true.

**Currently I've taken to hunting down the U.S.S. ships (the sarratoga being the latest casualty) and destroying them. It's quite fun.
But I think that as long as you enjoy your time playing EV, then it doesn't matter which government you work for.

One government's traitor is another government's hero. Have fun!

Yeah, I agree with you - the feds really need an image consultant, because if they sounded like nicer people (lets face it, the opening story makes the feds sound like evil fascist nazis, and anyone who really gets into it might not like siding with those sort of people) then maybe there'd be more people defending the feds. It's just the image that they have about being evil; they aren't that bad when you play as them.

------------------

None is better. I Kick both there @$$ like nothing.You see I rule in every system and no one can kill me.Reb/Con dosen't matter. They both suck.

------------------
KAMA

Confeds. I don't have time to type any justification. 🙂

------------------