Favourite RPG

Wow, I read all 99 posts in this thread and not one mention a few of my favorite games!

Anyone every play The Immortal? It was an excellent RPG for the Apple IIGS. Way ahead of it's time it had a look and feel unlike anything I had ever seen before. If I make a game with Coldstone, The Immortal will definately be a major source of inspiration.

One of my favorite pen & pencil RPG systems is Call of Cthulhu. I love the simplicity of the rules, the mystery/horror tones, the emphasis on thinking and problem solving instead of just mass killing, and most of all, the inescablable truth that no matter how experienced your character is, he's still just a mortal human being that can be killed by a single gun shot. I find the combat system in Call of Cthulhu ultra realistic, simply because it's deadly. Not only does this add to the fear factor of the game (this is a horror based genre after all) but it also has the side effect of keeping the emphasis of the game where it belongs -- on role playing.

Console RPG: Chrono Trigger, Destiny of an Emperor (nes), Final Fantasy Tactics.

Adventure: Crystalis, Secret of Mana, Ocarina of Time.

Computer: Honestly, not many. Baldur's Gate is the closest. Love Diablo 2, but don't really call that Role Playing.

I think the best thing about the Square RPGs was the Character interaction. From FF2 on, they focussed on getting players interested in the characters they presented. I kept playing to see what would happen, and how they would interact.

Favorite pen and paper: Steve Jackson's "Toon" That was such fun with the right crowd. πŸ˜ƒ Cartoon RPG. πŸ˜ƒ

------------------
One of these days Weederman, we'll look back on this and laugh. It'll be one of those quiet, eerie chuckles that slowly build to a bloodcurdling scream, but it will still be a laugh. --Mr. Boffo
http://www.kitsunestudios.com

Originally posted by Mauglir:
**Anyone every play The Immortal? It was an excellent RPG for the Apple IIGS. Way ahead of it's time it had a look and feel unlike anything I had ever seen before. If I make a game with Coldstone, The Immortal will definately be a major source of inspiration.

I remember The Immortal! it was very ahead of it's time.

------------------

My favorite game is easily Diablo 2 and i'm sure everyone thinks the same πŸ˜„

------------------
I am the peak of human evolution.

Originally posted by dude17:
**i'm sure everyone thinks the same:D

to post a favorite quote of mine:

"Please don't assume I'm like you."

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(quote)Originally posted by dude17:
**My favorite game is easily Diablo 2 and i'm sure everyone thinks the same:D ?
I have a lvl78 paladin, lvl 75 sor, lvl 65 sor, lvl 65 amazon, and I'm sure we could work out a barbarian or a druid too.. if need be.

This topic will pass up my "brainchild" soon. Hmm... back to the drawing board...

------------------
"And that is why you do not slaughter my friends"
~Kayalin, after ripping an enemy in half.

Anyone here ever play Minotaur by Bungie?

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Anyone here ever play Minotaur by Bungie?

Saphfire

Yeah!!!!
Me and my friends used to spend hours on it.

------------------
'The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day when they start making vacuum cleaners'

IMHO, Chrono Cross is the best RPG ever (or at least one I have played). I have played Chrono Trigger, too, and loved it. Its just that I think Cross is better. I have also played all of the NA Final Fantasies, but they get stale. FF9 is very good, except I didn't like the story as much as 6 or 7. I'm sure people will make some awesome stuff with Cold Stone, perhaps better than the Hollywoodish games we see today.

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
This topic will pass up my "brainchild" soon. Hmm... back to the drawing board...

::seizes Lorenoth's drawingboard, tosses it out the window in one depth move, watches as the oncoming traffic reduces it to splinters, grins victoriously::

I would have to say i liked Legends of LeGaia, despite its serious faults and clichΓ©s it still had major innovations, so i give it...
+ 10 cool points

------------------
"" hustles $5 cd's on the side
Hand Drawn graphics are beautiful

(This message has been edited by theGlueBubble (edited 09-13-2001).) NooooOOoooOooooO...

::but wait the chill casts a the magical spell of UNDO, and the message is back to its origianl state::

(This message has been edited by chill_rx (edited 09-22-2001).)

Baldurs Gate II is coming for Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to (url="http://"http://www.macplay.com/")http://www.macplay.com/(/url) to find out more.

πŸ˜„

------------------
'The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day when they start making vacuum cleaners'

(This message has been edited by Beeblebrox (edited 09-22-2001).)

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**Baldurs Gate II is coming for Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to (url)http://www.macplay.com/(url) to find out more.

πŸ˜„

They're JUST now getting to that????????? I thought they would've been done a long time ago. I wuz wonderin' why it didn't seem to be available yet.

------------------

Originally posted by Kireck L:
**They're JUST now getting to that?????????

macplay botched the porting and delivery several times, so it's maybe 3 months behind the first release date they set.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

My personal favorite RPG would have to be "Taskmaker"

------------------
"Dont be angry, not everyone can be as cool as me."
" "Genghis Khan," he said, "you are a wanker; you are a tosspot; you are a very tiny piece of turd. Thank you." With that he retreated into his ship and flew off.
The was a nasty kind of silence.
Later that year Genghis Khan stormed into Europe in such a rage that he almost forgot to burn down Asia before he left." Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Picquilarius:
**My personal favorite RPG would have to be "Taskmaker"

That was one of the first RPG's I played, I wouldn't say it was my favorite though, I haven't played too many RPG's.

I don't mean to be offensive, but if all you do is throw together your favorite games, your RPG won't be half as good as if you think of some original ideas. A great example of this was Zelda:Majora's Mask. Now, I'm not going to copy the time travel idea. I'm striving to make a different game, not a stew with bits and pieces of different games.

Please understand that I'm not accusing you.(When I say "you" I mean any one who is reading this and thinks I'm total loser. πŸ™‚ ) You want to discuss your favorite games and that's fine.

------------------
I'm just your average run-of-the-mill demon possessed, bloodsucking, headhunting, cold-blooded, hot-headed, pyromaniac.
My name is Legion, for we are many.

For console: Crono Trigger(seems to be very popular)
For computer: maybe, Avernum, don't like to many
paper/pencil: never tried, never will

------------------
There are three types of people in this world, people who make it happen, people who watch it happen, and people who wonder what happened.

Originally posted by Akero Manero:
**For console: Crono Trigger(seems to be very popular)
For computer: maybe, Avernum, don't like to many
paper/pencil: never tried, never will

It's kind of a shame, chrono trigger is so clichΓ© now. Ah well, with hard work and effort, my game will be on this list one day. (look up to the stars with hope and inspiration)
Yeah right.

------------------

Originally posted by KitsuneStudios:
Favorite pen and paper: Steve Jackson's "Toon" That was such fun with the right crowd. πŸ˜ƒ Cartoon RPG. πŸ˜ƒ

Hey, you are a veteran! Toon is actually very funny, but i prefer MERP most of all (great Lotr amb.). Actually i prefer paper and pencil RPGs, because of human interaction, moreover you can immagine the situations, wich is part of the fun. Anyway, lacking the time to play regularly, i opted for RPGs: Baldur's Gate is my choice (and Beeblebrox: go and get BG, you do not need a demo: it's so beautiful it's addictive!)
πŸ™‚
Ras

------------------

Console: Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3. Depends what mood I'm in.

Computer: Summoner. I dare to be different!

Pen & Paper: Only ever played AD&D; 2nd & 3rd.... pick one!

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

The Exile/Avernum series by Spider Web.

------------------
We tell stories of heroes to remind ourselves that we too can be great.