Favourite RPG

Let's discuss our favourite RPGs.

Mine is a tie between Ultima VII and Baldurs Gate II.

------------------
The greatest author: Douglas Adams 1952-2001

(This message has been edited by Beeblebrox (edited 03-08-2002).)

As we all know :

Final Fantasy VII Is King

------------------
Had to change my signature , made me look like a soft punk...speaking of go cop that single By Fatlip: 'What's up FatLip'... SO SAYS THE CHILL!
I shot the sheriff the deputy and head of bank treasury, some mounties in the bounty got a big bounty stressin' me...-MosDef
Setting the record for the most replies/profile updates in a single day...the Chill!

Dragon Warrior rules all with an iron fist!

------------------
Money is not the root of all evil, Jar Jar Binks is.

Or maybe we don't all know. 😛 (url="http://"http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/oldvsnew.htm")http://www.nuklearpo...ic/oldvsnew.htm(/url)

...Favorite RPGs, hmm? I would say it depends on the category: Computer RPG, console RPG, or "paper-and-pencil" RPG?

Computer RPG: Haven't found one that I really think is awesome yet, actually. But I must admit that PoG is pretty cool. 🙂 (Sellout!)

Console RPG: Chrono Trigger

Paper-and-pencil RPG: GURPS. While I haven't actually gamed with it much, I've looked through the main reference book, and it does a nice job of resolving all of the things I dislike most about D&D.; 🙂

------------------
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Albert Einstein

Avernum 2. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

------------------
You're never too old to be a Super Mario fan.

Originally posted by RyanP:
**Avernum 2. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

yeah, but where the hell is that stupid defector Locke hiding out??

anyway;

favorite console RPG: Chrono Trigger. Man hath no love like a tangerine hair-do.

favorite computer RPG: tie between Baldur's Gate and the Exile series. Atmosphere vs. story. who will win?

never played any pencil/paper RPGs. just wasn't my crowd...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Originally posted by jmitchell:
yeah, but where the hell is that stupid defector Locke hiding out??

Go to fort Draco and check out the ledger in the ore storage.

Console RPG: The Legend of Zelda. (It IS an RPG!!) 🙂

------------------

There was a topic about this on the boards waaay back...
Mine would be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I never really liked Final Fantasy.

------------------
(url="http://"http://members.home.net/genea16/Rift.html")Rift Homepage(/url)
(url="http://"http://pub101.ezboard.com/briftwebboards")Rift Webboards(/url)
(url="http://"http://members.home.net/genea16/Dark.html")The Dark Beyond Homepage(/url)
Apparently, common sense isn't so common...

**Originally posted by jmitchell:
(b)Console RPG: The Legend of Zelda. (It IS an RPG!!) 🙂

But.....<sigh>....forget it.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by nwa728:
Mine would be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I never really liked Final Fantasy.

(/B)

Yeah, I can't understand why everyone likes FF?
Since the first game came out I found them a boring, unimaginative series.

------------------

Originally posted by nwa728:

(/B)

Yeah, I can't understand why everyone likes FF?
Since the first game came out I found them a boring, unimaginative series. :eek:

------------------

I have to say that Chronotrigger is awsome - complex and easy at the same time.

Then I have to admitt that I've played Baldurs Gate quite extensively - and enjoyed it.

------------------
rUmbler
Confusion reigns. Please advice.

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**Yeah, I can't understand why everyone likes FF?
Since the first game came out I found them a boring, unimaginative series.

probably the best final Fantasies were Final Fantasy Legend 1&2 (to be objective even though it was on gameboy the setup was nice, unique)

I've played them all and , I have to admit some of the FF (about 3 of 'em , some of the ones that never made it state side) were a flop,
....as far as the unimaginative part, that's because they created a standard and so many have followed it without
improving or straying away,too many clones,--

The best part of the Final Fantasy series was it's consistency , and the appearance of old favorites in a new game , with a new story , characters and quest everytime , which usually instead of save the princess is save the world,

my other favorite would have to be Star Ocean (the one that came out for the PS)....only console I can't get appreciate pc rpg's...blech

I play a lot of original RPG's and I can't tell you how many stupid abilities/spells/items/weapons I've beeen awarded with...they're full of sawdust...

------------------
Had to change my signature , made me look like a soft punk...speaking of go cop that single By Fatlip: 'What's up FatLip'... SO SAYS THE CHILL!
I shot the sheriff the deputy and head of bank treasury, some mounties in the bounty got a big bounty stressin' me...-MosDef
Setting the record for the most replies/profile updates in a single day...the Chill!

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**Yeah, I can't understand why everyone likes FF?
Since the first game came out I found them a boring, unimaginative series. :eek:

The Fantasy series set the RPG genre standard for consoles and repeatedly broke it. They remained enjoyable throughout their lifespan through the fresh, bold look, deep plot, even if it didn't leave room for choices, and many secrets and easter eggs strewn throughout. All who like Chrono Trigger would revel in Final Fantasy III (IV).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I hated the feel and atmosphere of such PC sleepers Exile and Ultima. However much freedom they may allow, they lack in personality. They're just not my cup of tea. Reasons why I don't enjoy Baldur's Gate as much as should is unituitive stat dev, poor character development (where's the backstory?), and general hack-and-slash battle system (all minor enemies, click to kill).

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**The Fantasy series set the RPG genre standard for consoles and repeatedly broke it. They remained enjoyable throughout their lifespan through the fresh, bold look, deep plot, even if it didn't leave room for choices, and many secrets and easter eggs strewn throughout. All who like Chrono Trigger would revel in Final Fantasy III (IV).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I hated the feel and atmosphere of such PC sleepers Exile and Ultima. However much freedom they may allow, they lack in personality. They're just not my cup of tea. Reasons why I don't enjoy Baldur's Gate as much as should is unituitive stat dev, poor character development (where's the backstory?), and general hack-and-slash battle system (all minor enemies, click to kill).

Saphfire

Amen, reverend.

I've got to say FF5 (not released in the U.S.) other than the archvillian's name being extremely unimaginative, it is a very cool game. The class changing system in that game is just so cool! It's very hard to find as a cartridge, especially in english, but you can get it as a Rom I.... oh God, the KGB is coming! :eek:

------------------
The legend of Zelda, while a good insomnia cure, is NOT an rpg.

Originally posted by musicman:
**Amen, reverend.

I've got to say FF5 (not released in the U.S.) other than the archvillian's name being extremely unimaginative, it is a very cool game. The class changing system in that game is just so cool! It's very hard to find as a cartridge, especially in english, but you can get it as a Rom I.... oh God, the KGB is coming! :eek:

You might also want to check out Secret of Mana 2, aka. Seiken Diestsu 3, not released in the U.S. Not to mention the engrossing plot featuring multiple endings and twists depending on the characters you choose at the beginning (which run into those that you did not choose) and the intuitive battle system (which is surprisingly fun, but can get redundant), it features an extensive class change system (which sadly doesn't change the character graphic, but only the colors and stats).

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**On the opposite end of the spectrum, I hated the feel and atmosphere of such PC sleepers Exile and Ultima. However much freedom they may allow, they lack in personality. They're just not my cup of tea.

How can you say Ultima has a lack of personality.
I have to admit, the first 4 lacked it, but 6 and 7 had what I think was the most real and lively world in an RPG.

I agree with you about BG though.

------------------

**Avernum 2. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

AVERNUM 2! AVERNUM 2! :eek:
I found Avernum 2 the most boring, unimaginatice, sleeper of a game ever.

------------------

(quote)Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**AVERNUM 2! AVERNUM 2!:rolleyes:

------------------

Let me guess, you played a whole quarter of the demo to get that opinion.

Nah, I don't like that whole instant doom , I'm underground just broke ourt of the empire's grasp feel to those games,
I like to roam the world with plenty of light, unique monsters , without that on rails feeling,
(people who've ever gone island hoppin' right after getting an airship, and got annhilated by a GrandDragon in FF, know how I feel 🙂 oh the joy of it all )
In most PC RPG's everything has to be so, desparate and dark and over the top , atmosphere , and besides in exile and it's clones the characters have no animations, I hate every thing spidersweb software ever published....no style.

two other favorites:
Legends of LeGaia
and Grandia

------------------