Favourite RPG

i think that ff3 and chrono trigger are the best RPG'S ever!
(But not1 the best in graphic:rolleyes 🙂

How about the FF series for the GB, now that was fun...admit it . 😉

------------------
My new site go now,
(url="http://"mailto:ill_a_nois@yahoo.com")mailto:ill_a_nois@yahoo.com(/url)ill_a_nois@yahoo.com

Originally posted by ill_a_nois:
**How about the FF series for the GB, now that was fun...admit it .;)

yeah, except that they had nothing to do with FF whatsoever, except for the name.

------------------

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**yeah, except that they had nothing to do with FF whatsoever, except for the name.

Ah yes, reminescent of the new FF movie. However, as the FF series is notorious for having a new story each time, how exactly would you classify those that have something to do with FF anyway?

Saphfire

------------------

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Secret of Mana
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Xenogears(not sure how to spell it)
5. Starship Titanic (Best Computer game EVER)

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder."
"AARGH! MY SPINAL ERECTORS!!!!"

On paper:
ICE, Foresight, and Universe were my fave RPGs by a long shot.

On console:
Not a lot of experience, but I think Zelda is good value for money.

On Mac:
Oooh , how about Fool's Errand (not really an RPG, but a great game anyway!)

DrR

------------------
NovaTools are coming.

Originally posted by Wandering_Slacker:
**1. Chrono Trigger
2. Secret of Mana
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Xenogears(not sure how to spell it)
5. Starship Titanic (Best Computer game EVER)

I totally agree with you 🆒

Starship Titanic rocks! Even though technically it's not an RPG.

------------------

console: Tie between Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, and FF6. BTW, I know FF7 is good, I just haven't ever played it.

computer: Cythera, seeing as it was the best computer rpg I've ever played. (as well as the only one I've played, except maybe some other stuff I don't remember, which means it sucked.)

Come on guys! You have ALL forgotten EVO and pokemon - 2 of the best rpgs ever!

-In my opinion.

-Pad the inscrutable 😉

------------------

EVO?????????? an RPG?

I'm not here to argue with you, but calling EVO an RPG is laughable. Ha HA Haaaahahahah!!!!
EVO is really great though... until you run out of missions. But I agree with whoever it was that said that the FF movie had absolutely nohing to do with the games. (THEY DIDN'T USE ANY FREAKING MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) But FF6 and FF7 were really good in my opinion. Even still though, Chrono Trigger was the best console game ever created. (I never got further than Lavos core)

Originally posted by Kireck:
But I agree with whoever it was that said that the FF movie had absolutely nohing to do with the games.

Ahem. That was me.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Ah yes, reminescent of the new FF movie.

Yeah!!!

What the heck does a meteor hitting earth have to do with Final Fantasy?

------------------
Until POG is out, Cythera is the greatest RPG ever (payout).

I was a little (a lot) dissapointed with that movie. The effects were really good and all, but the plot was kinda screwy. They never quite explained what the 8 spirits were and how they had anything to do with the ghosts. They spent about 2 million bucks on making wrinkles and freckles, but the plot was just a spiral of "where did that come from and why are they doing this?"
They could have at least named it something other than Final Fantasy because now if they make a "REAL" Final Fantasy movie, it will be nothing like the first one and people would probably get even more confused. (And why the #%^# didn't they use MAGIC?!?!?!?!)

I was a little (a lot) dissapointed with that movie. The effects were really good and all, but the plot was kinda screwy. They never quite explained what the 8 spirits were and how they had anything to do with the ghosts. They spent about 2 million bucks on making wrinkles and freckles, but the plot was just a spiral of "where did that come from and why are they doing this?"
They could have at least named it something other than Final Fantasy because now if they make a "REAL" Final Fantasy movie, it will be nothing like the first one and people would probably get even more confused. (And why the #%^# didn't they use MAGIC?!?!?!?!)

"the plot was kinda screwey." hey, just like the games! 😛 I personally liked the FF movie (and the games), despite its (their) numerous faults. and by the way, how could the movie have been related to the games? only two of the games had anything to do with each other, so which story should they have related the plot to? the series is notorious for not having anything to do with itself. I felt that it deffinetely had an FF feel to it though. the whole "numeric objects that will save the world" thing is straight out of Square Soft c.1990. magic was omitted because it would get squashed by an American audience. Americans have been trained to suspend their disbelief for huge explosions and men with 23 inch bisceps -- not for existentialism and magic. the whole thing with spirits and phantoms pushes the limits as it is.

and no, none of the stuff with the spirits made any sense. the only reason why that kind of thing sounds better in the games (that was definetely a game plot point...) is because they make you deal with it for so long that you eventually just abandon your search for a scientific explaination and give in to the urge to mumbe "red gooey stuff bad... blue gooey stuff good..." while you hack up yet another oddly shaped humanoid.

(edit) I should note that I don't neccessarily think there needs to be a scientific explaination for everything. It's a game for chrisake! but also, so long as a story maintains consistency with itself, I see no need for it to maintain a consistency with the outside world as well. it's only when games/movies try to explain themselves that they run into problems. stories are much better if they are told in a manner that forces the reader to simply accept things the way they are. ex: the Tolkien books
(/edit)
------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 07-19-2001).)

You're funny jmitchel (seriously)
I actually like the games alot. I never thought that the game plots were THAT ackward, but I guess it's just weirder when you have a movie with real looking people. It doesn't matter what America thinks of movies, if it (the whole thing) is going to be computer generated, you'd expect there to be some reason for it. Dungeons and Dragons had magic. Hurcules and Xena use magic (I think). And think what's worse? They could have used magic and not een showed it in the previews, people spent their money on it anyway and many FF fans were disappointed that it was all guns and armor (typical). I personally was looking for an FF movie. I didn't get one. The sad part is, I'd probably have been much more satisfied if they didn't name it Final Fantasy.

**You're funny jmitchel (seriously)

Thank you.

Also originally posted by Kireck:
It doesn't matter what America thinks of movies, if it (the whole thing) is going to be computer generated, you'd expect there to be some reason for it.

When you throw $100 million behind a movie, it sure as all hell does matter what America thinks.

Also originally posted by Kireck:
Dungeons and Dragons had magic. Hurcules and Xena use magic (I think). And think what's worse? They could have used magic and not een showed it in the previews, people spent their money on it anyway and many FF fans were disappointed that it was all guns and armor (typical). I personally was looking for an FF movie. I didn't get one. The sad part is, I'd probably have been much more satisfied if they didn't name it Final Fantasy.

Although we here on the ASW boards may respect things like D&D;, Xena, et al, in the real world people are not so willing to suspend their disbelief. The popularity experienced by those franchises is cult -- not mainstream. They don't make much of a profit in the grand scheme of things (the $100 million scheme). Final Fantasy was meant to be a sort of a comming out party for for the role players of America. It was meant to prove that there is merit to be found in video games and geek culture. however, the film's producers weren't brave enough to come out all the way. they compromised and tried to live up to a lot of the conventions that movies usually follow in order to make a profit, while sacrificing some of the things that gamers have come to know and love. unfortunately the middle ground that they reached left both parties with a sour taste in their mouths. but, it's a first step. who knows? maybe in another decade it'll actually be cool to be really good at video games...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Hmm. This is getting a bit off-topic, but what the hey. 🙂

I just got back from watching the FF movie myself. My impressions (likely many spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet):

Plotline: While not perfect, it was better than I had been led to expect by the various reviews I've read. It had some flaws, but it was more original and less predictable than many other sci-fi action movies I've seen. (Starship Troopers, anyone?) While filled with metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, I felt that the plot was fairly consistent within the context of said mumbo-jumbo. 🙂 I didn't have too much trouble suspending my disbelief, which surprised me.

Characters: I was very impressed that they managed to tell the whole story with fewer than 20 voice actors in the entire movie. (Watch the credits) The characters generally weren't developed thoroughly enough, but there were a few nice touches that hinted at a deeper background to them, such as Ryan's comment "My father's in here somewhere", and the end of Jane and Neil. I was disappointed by General Hein, as I didn't ever feel that I really saw his motivation.

Graphics: Astounding. Parts, especially at the beginning, were noticeably CGI in their feel, but as the movie continued, more and more of them looked approximately "photorealistic". I wonder if the scenes were created in approximate order, as the later scenes generally looked better to me. The ending with the hawk was simply unbelievable. I've done just enough CGI work to know what an incredible amount of time, effort, attention to detail, and processing power it must have taken to produce those graphics. My hat's off to them.

"Final-Fantasyishness" 😉 : Good enough for me. Sure, there were no chocobos or airships - fine. Those may be recurring traits of the game series, but I don't feel that they're necessary to make something be "Final Fantasy." (Remember that the first one had no chocobos at all. 🙂 ) I think that they made the right decision in producing a sci-fi rather than fantasy movie, as it seems to me that fantasy movies 1) do poorly in theaters and 2) tend to wind up looking distinctly cheesy. (Though here's hoping that the LOTR movies prove me wrong on both accounts!) Besides, high technology has always been a part of the Final Fantasy series. Airships, the Sky Palace, the Super Cannon, Magitek, trains and motorcycles, guns - need I go on? 🙂 While watching it, certain parts struck a very strong "Final fantasy" chord with me, reminding me of (this'll please chill, no doubt) FF7 in particular. The Gaia energy versus the Lifestream, the bit with General Hein in zero-g versus the bit with Cloud's soul flying to Sephiroth, and so forth.

In summary: While not perfect, the movie was nonetheless quite pleasant to watch. If you can get beyond saying, "Where's the mages?", it's not half-bad. 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.cjr.org/owners/aoltimewarner.asp")AOLTimeWarnerICQSportsIllustratedCNNAtlantaBravesHawksandThrashersDCComicsNetscapeHBO owns you.(/url)

This is a tricky one.

Personal favorite: Final Fantasy V. Sure, six had a better plot, and seven on have better graphics. But seven sucked, eight was barely better, and I haven't played nine (I haven't heard anyone compare it to five yet, though). One and four weren't bad, but again nothing breathtaking.

Exile II owns. Avernum destroys a lot of its charm, IMHO.

A lot of people like Chrono Trigger...it's not bad, but I find it to be another one of those "just keep pressing the correct buttons" sort of thing. No strategy.

Final Fantasy Tactics is great, if you count it as an RPG. Shining Force 2 falls in here as well.

Seikden Densetsu III is a fun game, at first. Unfortunately, however, much of it is uninspired and repetitve (despite being pretty). It's definetly a worthy follow up to Secret of Mana.

With that said, it should be pretty obvious that I'm a customization junky. I've heard a lot of people whine about FFV and Linux for the same reasons: I don't want all those options! I don't want to think! I AM VEGETABLE!! Ok, so maybe that last bit is paraphrasing. I'm curious as to what other folks (especially you unthinking vegetables out there 🙂 ) look for in RPGs, though...

--oberon

Originally posted by Emperor_oberon:
Personal favorite: Final Fantasy V. Sure, six had a better plot, and seven on have better graphics. But seven sucked, eight was barely better, and I haven't played nine (I haven't heard anyone compare it to five yet, though). One and four weren't bad, but again nothing breathtaking.
--oberon

Man that Jobs system in FFV kicked-ass.

------------------
Until POG is out, Cythera is the greatest RPG ever (payout).

sighhhhhhh
How I wish Coldstone would come out. After playing a game of Diablo II (favorite comp RPG) and killing Diablo on normal mode for the second time, I'm inspired to create. But alas, no Coldstone, no creation, my inspiration has died. 😞