GTW Round 20

or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

"Gentlemen," Grand World Leader Rickton paused and glanced at nfreader, "and Ladies, I have some bad news. But luckily I also have some good news, and some even better news. Oh and I also have some news that's worse than the bad news too."
There was a small pause as the delegates decoded the awkward grammar used in the previous sentence.
"What's the bad news?" asked egroeg.
"Terrorists have threatened to destroy the world with nuclear missiles. And they're not bluffing."
"What's the good news?" asked kickme.
"We're safe here in an underground bunker, impervious to nuclear attack."
"What's the better news?" asked Hypochondriac.
"We have an infinite supply of Chai Latté," Rickton explained while he sipped the steaming mug in his hand.
"What's the news that's worse than the bad news?" asked GutlessWonder.
"Some of the delegates in this room are actually secretly on the side of the terrorists and are probably going to kill us all. Well, kill you all. Due to a recent top-secret government experiment I'm entirely invincible, but the rest of you are likely targets for assassination."
The delegates all glanced at each other suspiciously.
"BUT because this bunker doesn't get Cable TV and we forgot to take any board games with us into the complex, I'm pretty bored so I've come up with a new game for us to play. It's called 'Vote for who you think is a terrorist and we'll kill them and see if they were or not.' It should be pretty fun. You have roughly 48 hours to vote for the first time."
And here Rickton walked out of the room leaving the delegates in stunned silence.

The players are:
1Eevee1
darth_vader
egroeg
Eugene chin
GutlessWonder
Hypochondriac
jrsh92
kickme
Lemonyscapegoat
Mackilroy
Manta
mrxak
nfreader
prophile
RJC ultra
Shlizamel
SoItBegins

All PMs should have been sent. If you did not receive one please let me know and you will be Terminated for Inefficiency.
Just kidding. Maybe.

This post has been edited by Rickton : 04 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

And we'll start the finger-pointing with... Lemonyscapegoat

All right! Let's spin the SoItBegins Random Roulette Wheel of Life, Death, and Blue Meanies Popping Up Everywhere You Look!

Aaand the winner is...

Shlimazel!!

I agree about Shlimazel. He's a well-meaning but mostly useless player, and with his death we'll have more info on who the terrorists are. SIB, do you support me on this?

Oh, I forgot to add something. Due to the complexity of some of the roles in this game I would prefer if you have your actions in after the 24 hour mark if possible (that includes you, terrorists! Actually, that especially includes you).
If not it's not a big deal but the earlier the better things go for everyone.

This post has been edited by Rickton : 04 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I must say, 24 hour rounds are kind of short, considering that we are all spread out across different timezones and have other stuff going on in our lives.

Also, I'm going to vote for Mackilroy. He seems quite eager to start a bandwagon very early in the game, and I find that rather suspicious.

@darth_vader, on Mar 4 2008, 10:49 PM, said in GTW Round 20:

I must say, 24 hour rounds are kind of short, considering that we are all spread out across different timezones and have other stuff going on in our lives.

Oh no, the discussion and the voting can last for 48 hours but I'd like the actions in early. Maybe 24 is a bit short. I dunno. We'll see if it works.

So it seems as if staying silent in this game is just as likely to get you lynched as anything, so for now I will speak up but until someone has REAL evidence or reasoning I will <see below>

This post has been edited by jrsh92 : 05 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

As I said in the sign-up topic, I am going to kill lemonyscapegoat first.

Well, we COULD play battleships.

Huge damn nuclear weapon to B3.

Oh, and I'm not voting for this round. It's against... my beliefs?

I'll go along with Gutless Wonder and mrxak to vote for lemonyscapegoat. While I usually hate voting in the first round, I have seen the error of my abstaining ways and would rather have a chance ( no matter how long ) of taking out a terrorist in the first round. I usually also hate bandwagons, but I believe that my vote for lemony will further our innocent quest for taking out the terrorists.

@1eevee1, on Mar 5 2008, 10:39 AM, said in GTW Round 20:

Crap, you got my nuclear submarine.

I'll abstain for now, unless somebody pops up looking suspicious to me.

I vote 1Eevee1 for not bolding his vote.

I'm abstaining for now as first round votes are nearly always entirely random anyway.

I voting for the dark lord of the sith Darth_vader , until a better choice emerges

So far it seems like a bandwagon is beginning to develop on lemony. In the spirit of keeping the game somewhat sensible, I am going to move my vote to Shlimazel not because I like lemony or hate Shlimazel, but because this way it is still evened out and no bandwagon has any more momentum than the other one. Someone's going to die the first round, but I'm trying to keep it from being absurdly lopsided and thoughtless by slowing lemony's momentum. That's the idea anyway.

This post has been edited by jrsh92 : 05 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

There was too much Bandwagoning last game, I'd like to try and nip it in the bud before it becomes normal here.

On the lemonyscapegoat Side:
mrxak: Announced that he'd try to kill lemony before the game had started. There's no telling what his role is.

GutlessWonder: While he may have cast the first vote, this was after mrxak's announcement, so he'd know there'd be support there.

Manta: He decided to jump on this particular bandwagon, but while his explanation doesn't excuse his bandwagoning, at least he explained himself.

On the Shlimazel Side:
SoItBegins: Random vote. (Always with the random votes)

Mackilroy: "Well-meaning but mostly useless player"? With this reasoning, you'd be killing him off in every game.

jrsh92: He says he's voting for Shlimazel to balance against the lemonyscapegoat bandwagon. On the surface, nothing wrong with this reasoning, but if it causes all votes to either pile up against Shlimazel or lemonyscapegoat, it might lead to a tie.

Do we know how Rickton is handling ties? Does it go to a tiebreaker round, or do they both survive, or do they both die or what?

The way I'm looking at it, Mackilroy and GutlessWonder are the two whose behaviors most resemble bandwagoning.
However, I noticed it for GutlessWonder first, so...
Vote: Gutlesswonder

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 05 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Last game ties were going to be handled by a d20, but I'm not sure any occurred. I would assume that similar methods of randomly choosing someone will be used this game, instead of both or none of the accused dying.

@jrsh92, on Mar 5 2008, 07:11 PM, said in GTW Round 20:

Last game ties were going to be handled by a d20, but I'm not sure any occurred. I would assume that similar methods of randomly choosing someone will be used this game, instead of both or none of the accused dying.

That's how Manta said he'd handle ties. There's no way to know if Rickton is doing it the same way. Different hosts tend to handle ties in different ways, sometimes changing their minds on how to handle them from one game to the next.

Early GTW games on this forum had ties decided by going to a tie-breaker round, where only the two ties players could be voted for. Other hosts ruled that neither was killed, and the game just went on to the next round (After the badguys got their Night-Kill).

So, the way Manta would have handled ties has no actual bearing on how Rickton handles ties. (Rickton may not have d20's, for example.)

Looking over my reasoning again, I could try to push a third candidate a little more into the limelight, by voting Mackilroy. I was already looking at him for trying to bandwagon Shlimazel, so I have no problem doing this.

This way, people don't have the excuse of saying "oh, this person is getting the most votes, so I'll just go that way too," as might happen if there were only one or two leading candidates, and a smattering of one-off votes.

Vote Count:
lemonyscapegoat: 3
mrxak
GutlessWonder
Manta

Shlimazel: 3
SoItBegins
Mackilroy
jrsh92

Mackilroy: 2
darth_vader
Eugene Chin

1Eevee1: 1
prophile // (x)

darth_vader: 1
Hypochondriac

Votes Cast Total: 10

No Vote Cast: 7
1Eevee1
egroeg
kickme
lemonyscapegoat
nfreader
RJC ultra
Shlimazel

(x) I notice that prophile's reasoning is factually wrong. He says:

@prophile, on Mar 5 2008, 05:16 PM, said in GTW Round 20:

I vote 1Eevee1 for not bolding his vote.

But 1Eevee1 said he's simply not voting (emphasis mine):

@1eevee1, on Mar 5 2008, 09:39 AM, said in GTW Round 20:

Well, we COULD play battleships.

Oh, and I'm not voting for this round. It's against... my beliefs?

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 05 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Well, he voted for B3, obviously. It's still a vote, although a nonsensical one, sort of like voting for Rickton this round.