Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance)

@spartan-jai, on 21 February 2011 - 10:00 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Well, here was the actual premise. You start in cluster A, everything goes kablam, and when you 'skip ahead' in time, going to the next cluster, it's more like the same places, just society has evolved quite a bit, rebuilt from when it was destroyed, and made better. Kind of like after the dinosaurs went extinct, the world 'ended' and then began again, and look how it is today. Better than before. Not that I believe in 2012, but if it happens, life might spring back up and become better than the modern world. That's the basis of this TC. How about Regenesis? Title of a band song I played some time ago. Kinda cool, and fits.

Ah, I see. I was thinking each cluster was unique and died in turn, not different points in time for the same space. In that case, Regenisis is definitely a good name, even better in my opinion since it's not a real word. πŸ˜„ If you would prefer an actual word, you might consider Rebirth, New Horizons, or Gift of Time. The first two should be obvious. The last one refers to how, even when everything else dies, time remains and will eventually heal everything else. Just ideas. πŸ™‚

@darthkev, on 22 February 2011 - 12:42 AM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Ah, I see. I was thinking each cluster was unique and died in turn, not different points in time for the same space. In that case, Regenisis is definitely a good name, even better in my opinion since it's not a real word. πŸ˜„ If you would prefer an actual word, you might consider Rebirth, New Horizons, or Gift of Time. The first two should be obvious. The last one refers to how, even when everything else dies, time remains and will eventually heal everything else. Just ideas. πŸ™‚

:ninja:
I think I can stick with Regenisis. Thanks for the help though. I mean, it's kinda catchy. Say it aloud a couple times... Regenisis: Broader Horizons, Volume I, and Regenisis: The Final Chapter, Volume V. Oh my gosh I am good. Thank you for the idea though. I got Broader Horizons from New Horizons. AHHHH! So excited now!:D

EDIT: Even better, gotta create opening titles now!

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 22 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

Man! I do my best work at 1:30 in the morning... Picture in background from Google Images, credit given where deserved (yes, all title images are from Google, and websites checked and cited). EDIT: Putting up the rest while I'm at it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful! Not to pat myself on the back though. In the correct order as well.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 22 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

I know you didn't make the backgrounds yourself, but that still had to take some skilled search skills to find images that good. Well done, sir! I look forward to more.

Just a guess on the mask issue: did you reduce the mask image to a 1-bit pure black and white image before importing it? I've had that problem before.

@darthkev, on 22 February 2011 - 12:42 AM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

If you would prefer an actual word, you might consider Rebirth, New Horizons, or Gift of Time.

There was already a New Horizons for the original Escape Velocity , so it's probably best to avoid any room for confusion.

@spartan-jai, on 22 February 2011 - 01:32 AM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Picture in background from Google Images, credit given where deserved (yes, all title images are from Google, and websites checked and cited).

And you have permission to use them, either personally or because they were posted with a licence that allows re-use?

@krugeruwsp, on 22 February 2011 - 10:10 AM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Just a guess on the mask issue: did you reduce the mask image to a 1-bit pure black and white image before importing it? I've had that problem before.

Actually, I'm fairly certain this is the problem Jai is running into.

@david-arthur, on 22 February 2011 - 12:34 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

There was already a New Horizons for the original Escape Velocity , so it's probably best to avoid any room for confusion.

And you have permission to use them, either personally or because they were posted with a licence that allows re-use?

One site had a license, I had to email the other. In school we called that checking, so apologies if there was confusion there. And you spelled license wrong. Not that it's important, but...

@darthkev, on 22 February 2011 - 03:03 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Actually, I'm fairly certain this is the problem Jai is running into.

No, not quite. Again, make an rled out of it, and watch it in mission computer. It's really bumpy, as if I didn't align the frames right in Illustrator. Which I'm betting was my problem, but I wasn't sure if it was my computer or me.

Posted Image :ninja:
No, the ninja really has nothing to do with the ship. Except for the name.
Unim Shipyards Ninja A-7 Heavy Fighter
A sleek, fast, and agile ship, the Ninja is well deserved of its name. Also well armed, it carries two heavy cannons and two Solid Fuel Rocket (SFR) pods. This craft is a close relative of the airborne predecessors that once ruled the skies at supersonic speeds, making it a favorite of old nostalgic fleet commanders.

@spartan-jai, on 22 February 2011 - 03:43 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

And you spelled license wrong.

I'm not in the United States. πŸ™‚

@spartan-jai, on 22 February 2011 - 03:43 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

It's really bumpy, as if I didn't align the frames right in Illustrator.

That does sound like an alignment issue, if by 'bumpy' you mean that it doesn't seem centred.

Some of you may remember this one from the old Delphi Ships topic also.
Posted Image

Unim Shipyards Thomar Class Cruiser
This is the cruiser built by Unim shipyards. A fearsome sight, the Thomar Cruiser is the biggest and (almost) baddest ship in the known universe. Carrying an impressive armament of eight SBRE (Pronounced Sabre, Ship Based Rimell Explosive) Torpedo Tubes, Hellfire Chaingun Turrets, and AFHE (Anti Fighter High Explosive) Missiles, the Thomar is a force to be reckoned with, standing up to fleets and swarms of fighters, leaving nothing but scraps and burning hulks in its wake. (this is after Unim develops point defense software.

@david-arthur, on 22 February 2011 - 06:20 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

I'm not in the United States. πŸ™‚

Oh. Explains why you also spelled centered weird.

@david-arthur, on 22 February 2011 - 06:20 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

That does sound like an alignment issue, if by 'bumpy' you mean that it doesn't seem centred.

Ehhh, more like it jumps around from frame to frame, ie it starts 300 pixels from the edge of a bounding box. When it turns, not accounting for shape, it is 296 pixels from the edge of the bounding box, and when it turns again it is 305 pixels from the edge.

Here is an interesting idea. Make a shipyard graphic that is animated. Each frame of the animation shows a different ship being built. Set the Animation Delay extremely high, so hopefully every time the player jumps in or takes off, a new ship is being built. Idea, implementable, probably not, because it might change in flight causing the player much confusion.
EDIT: I hate to be asking for help so early on, but if someone has the capability to create rendered interfaces, help would be appreciated.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 22 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

I know I had a schedule for what I was going to make when, but I couldn't lose this idea.
This is the SBRE Torpedo
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I never thought of using the chaingun as an engine piece. Brilliant. Awesome torp, too.

Much appreciated Darthkev.
Posted Image
Heavy cannon bolt.

The D.O.R.T.H.I.E. Mines. And yes, that's the rotary cannon again. The thrusters provide minimal ability to stay in the same spot, and the top is the detection gear. The rounded part is the huge explosive.
Posted Image

Enjoy running into those. By the way. The main (home) systems of each government will have something special. The TanX will have invisible spobs underneath the main planet, and they have multiple guns. Basically, it creates the illusion to the player that there are many gun emplacements on the planet. The New Order will have random deadly spobs placed around the system to act as minefields.

@spartan-jai, on 23 February 2011 - 04:44 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

The D.O.R.T.H.I.E. Mines.

Ooh, very devious-looking.

By the way. The main (home) systems of each government will have something special. <snip> The New Order will have random deadly spobs placed around the system to act as minefields.

Be careful with deadly spΓΆbs in inhabited systems. The AI doesn't know to fly around them and will simply plow headlong into them. It might be better to make a ship that either doesn't move or moves very slowly armed with a weapon with extremely short range that also kills the firing ship upon firing.

@darthkev, on 23 February 2011 - 08:31 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Ooh, very devious-looking.

Just wait until you hit one. You'll be sad you complimented it.

@darthkev, on 23 February 2011 - 08:31 PM, said in Regenesis (Formerly Final Chance):

Be careful with deadly spΓΆbs in inhabited systems. The AI doesn't know to fly around them and will simply plow headlong into them. It might be better to make a ship that either doesn't move or moves very slowly armed with a weapon with extremely short range that also kills the firing ship upon firing.

Yes, this is true. However. The idea is more of a minefield for if you're dumb enough to demand tribute from the planet. For the most part, defense fleets are fighters. When I conquer planets, I stick around the planet till I get low on shielding, and run off to recharge, firing long range weapons. I've done this before, and I ran into them all of the time. However, if I can make a graphic looking like a minefield, I can give it a 0 frames per, but at the same time, it could hype into the system, and also it can spawn around planets in a dude resource, which is the thing I have a problem with.
EDIT: Wow. I forgot to mention why the fact that they are mostly fighters is significant. When I am in a slower ship, I hate fighters. Very bothersome. Because of the scale of this TC, fighters will end up being closer to the RAGE gunboat to the Fed Carrier than the Fed Viper to the Fed Carrier, so they will be very obnoxious. They'll be able to herd the player out away from the planet, where the player can run into the mines. They can also be blown up by the mines, so at least it can help.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 23 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

The Solid Fuel Rocket
Posted Image

Thing is, deadly spobs kill EVERYTHING not flagged as immune. And if a mission dies to one, the mission will become uncompletable and will have to be aborted. It'd be better to arm the spobs with an insta-gibbing weapon with a range equal to their size.