New Wraith Plug-In

Help me make a new one.

Hey guys,

I've been playing EV since the first one ever came out. Nova is probably the best installment. I loved the idea of a sentient space-bound alien race, ie the Wraith, but have been really disappointed with the existing Wraith plug-ins: Path of the Wraith and World of the Wraith. Both seemed promising, but the editing was terrible and the stories were marginal. Also, at least in the case of World of the Wraith, the wraith ships are not balanced with the game.

So... I do not know how to program and would be looking for someone who does know how, but I would write a story line and mission log in collaboration with someone interested in making a new plug-in. I have some good ideas of where to go, just need someone to help program it. Let me know if you are interested!

- Susurus

EDIT: If anyone has come to this topic via the link in my signature, this plugin has moved into initial beta testing. If you are interested, checkthis topic.

First off, welcome to the boards Susurus! Enjoy your stay and may you be blessed by the light of Lathander!

Next, to entice us, do you want to give us a sample of your writing style, and where you want to go?

I might be interested in helping, but I am pretty busy with real life stuff, so don't expect me to make it fast, and I certainly can't do graphics. I also can't do stories, which is why I have never released (notice released. I have made them) before, as they all had very bland storylines, if at all.

Also, you may want to post things like this in the EV Developers corner in the future.

This post has been edited by Jalisurr : 06 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

If you want a little expansion on the Wraith one thing you could try is Unity. Expands the Polaris string and introduces more problems with a long lost clan of the Wraith. You may like it if you want to have another Wraithish plug.

EDIT: Opps, pretend I'm G-Spark.

This post has been edited by isword : 12 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

This sounds like a good idea. If you need it, I would be happy to help with the storylining.

Hmm, lack of reply... (fingers drumming on table)

Isword - Yea, I've been playing Unity. Though at some point in the Polaris string when you are supposed to group up somewhere it seems that the plug stops working for me, maybe I just haven't found the place yet... oh well.

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back. Jalisurr - I would like to approach the Wraith from the perspective like that of the story in "Path of the Wraith" specifically that the Wraith are an endemic space creature of the galactic north. Having a character go through the entire life cycle would be nice. I would have players start as a Wraith child and work their way up to adulthood (maybe some later, more powerful stage) the same as in "Path". However, I would like to look into the Wraith having their own enemies and would like to start upon some of the details that were present in the original game.

The role of Hyperoids is undefined and I thought having the Hyperoids and the Wraith live in some kind of symbiotic relationship. Perhaps the Hyperoids create food for the Wraith (as cattle or some sort, perhaps they just emit energy that serves as nutrition to the Wraith), or are the female of the species with wraith being the male. I would also like to pursue the idea that the wraith wish to expand their territory but can only live on gas giants, and perhaps talks could begin among the factions in regard to giving the wraith some more planets which are unsettled. Alternatively we could give them new habitable systems nearby. The notion of space-bound organisms is great and perhaps we could create a whole ecosystem to augment the wraith, give them some predators and some prey. Or perhaps the Wraith live in a state of civil war and the story could be based fully, or partially around this conflict. We should be able to do this without dramatically altering the current galactic map by utilizing some of the Vellos and Krypt space (that whole nebula with the crazy jump pattern) which is for the majority unused.

Also, in making the Wraith a full-fledged ship comparable to any other great ship in the game we would have to do some tweaking. The Graviton beam could stay but we might consider other weapons. The fighting style you are forced to play with using cloak and the one beam is attractive, but logistically it might not be a great combat method for some of the larger fleets. Maybe we could just turret the Grav Beam. We should give the wraith the abilites that the Polaris learned from them as well (maybe some Wraithii equivalent?) as some telepathic abilities similar to the Vellos. One of the best parts of the game is tailor making your vessel, and if possible it would be nice to have that option, though certainly more work to create outfits as the wraith 'ship' is organic and not a machine.

These are just some ideas and I am not terribly wedded to all of them, but I think its a good start. I've published a few short stories and am sure this would be enjoyable to write out. Whoever I worked with would have their input of course. I would write out a backstory, some details of specific missions and take care of all of the text for the game, mission crons, planet and item descriptions. I might even be able to create some ships - I'll have to look into that. SO.... Jalisurr, Javelin King!, Isward and whomever else may be interested, send me an email at silverdragon174@yahoo.com or post back here and I can send some writing samples and we can start working. I understand time constraints as I work full time and so there is no rush. The more interested and talented people the better.

- Susurus

Isword - Yea, I've been playing Unity. Though at some point in the Polaris string when you are supposed to group up somewhere it seems that the plug stops working for me, maybe I just haven't found the place yet... oh well.

Well unfortunately I don't know exactly where you are. If you tell me the last few missions you did I should be able to help, or possibly Jalisurr, but I haven't finished Unity since I can't find the last few things I need to get done.

Sounds intresting. Luckily all the problems with outfits and organics and stuff don't really come up when you're making them code wise, only when you are explaining them in the story.

I would imagine that what I would do is not give them bit A1 and then make all the Wraith outfits available without it. That way you wouldn't have Wraith installing solar panels on themselves...

Anyway, I'm going to see what I can dream up plug-wise, getting the wraith all balanced up with other races. We can keep posting here or we can take it to PMs if you want...

@g-spark, on Sep 15 2008, 08:54 AM, said in New Wraith Plug-In:

Well unfortunately I don't know exactly where you are. If you tell me the last few missions you did I should be able to help, or possibly Jalisurr, but I haven't finished Unity since I can't find the last few things I need to get done.

So the last few missions I did took me from Paedt to Federation and Auroran space to recruit help. Then I returned to Paedt and they said they needed time to assemble a fleet and then we would meet in ____ system. Do I need to go back to the bar, or possibly, do you know the system? I spent a lot of time jumping one system at a time...

Jalisurr, we should probably take this to PM's for the details (code, writing and ideas) but leaving some progress here might be good so others can comment. Send me an email at the email I posted before. I'll write up a backstory and we can talk about it. Then I'll start making missions and we can collaborate about outfits, systems and the like.

If anyone else is interested in helping, let us know.

I would again like to declare my support of this idea and my willingness to help, pretty soon I will be making good plugs and then I could help with basic weapons etc... For now I am avaliable to help with storylining, mission text and testing (although we can all do that!) we would also need to come up with some explanation as to how the wraiths take cargo.

This topic really belongs on the Dev Board. You may find interest here, but the experienced plug-in makers are all at the Dev Board. Well, and here some too, but not nearly all of them.

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 15 2008, 02:12 PM, said in New Wraith Plug-In:

This topic really belongs on the Dev Board. You may find interest here, but the experienced plug-in makers are all at the Dev Board. Well, and here some too, but not nearly all of them.

Okay. Is there a way to transfer the entire thread? Otherwise we can just start anew there. Javelin and Jalisurr should we swap emails?

email sent. You can pull mine from there, or just look at my profile. It's there.

@susurus, on Sep 15 2008, 04:04 PM, said in New Wraith Plug-In:

Is there a way to transfer the entire thread?

Not for you, nor for me, but for moderators. Just wait a bit; they will move it. (You can see two threads lower on the page have been moved.)

It's actually been a while since I played. I don't exactly remember where you are. I just finished dealing with the Wraith'gil homeworld.

My personal opinion, I thought the Hyproids acted as sentinals, perhaps a guards, or listening posts. The Wraith in a civil war idea I find interesting, this would explain there Xenophobic and non-Xenophobic behavoir. I would recommend you utilizing the wormhole in both of their main planets systems. Another Idea is to have a gas giant (Enemy Wraith) have an eliptical orbit which sends it by the Good Wraith every X amount of years.

@susurus, on Sep 15 2008, 07:04 PM, said in New Wraith Plug-In:

Okay. Is there a way to transfer the entire thread?

I'll move it over for you.

Thanks for moving us over David,

IT, that's an interesting idea for the planets and civil war. I want to make Hyperoids some kind of cattle I think, then we can have them function as freighters and resources. If we made them into sentinels it might detract from the organic universe look I'm going for. We'll definitely use the wormholes. Thanks for the ideas!

Anyone else interested in doing some programming work?

Would installing this plugin make you start as a wraith, as I can see no way you could become one. As for balancing the ships, I think that shield/armour should be low, but the weapons can be powerful. Bear in mind you would probably start the game as a wraith child, so they can't be too good!
Do we want to create an elaborate or simple storyline? If elaborate, we could use the fed-rebel link idea, so you could choose your side in the civil war.

Alternatively, how about Hyperoids are actually undeveloped wraiths?
We would have to downgrade the weapons a bit, but it might work.

@javelin-king-, on Sep 17 2008, 04:53 PM, said in New Wraith Plug-In:

Alternatively, how about Hyperoids are actually undeveloped wraiths?

As space-dwelling life forms occupying the same area, it does seem a reasonable conjecture that they're related, though probably no more closely than humans and (heavily armed) cows.