Clavius rEVisited

I agree. RealPlayer is EVIL. EEEEEVIIIIL I tell you! Stay away from it!

Or, You could just use Macromedia's Flash client, the way I do.

I know this isn't really an appropriate topic for this but... er, well here we go: EVO Intro.mp4
It's 50% bigger than Dr. Trowel's one (4.4MB) so I hope it's a bit higher quality (if not, let me know). Of course I could compress it smaller but I wanted to keep quality pretty high. Note it probably sounds different - hopefully more like the original. It's in an mp4 container, just cause I like standards, so make sure you adjust the desc to point to the right file. If all goes well I'll do the EV one too and package it all up nice (I did the EVO one first because I only have one .fla file and it currently contains the EVO text).

This post has been edited by Guy : 12 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

Yours definitely looks and sounds better. The AAC sound is richer than the IMA 4:1 that I used. I went with 15 frames per second, figuring a bit of flicker would be acceptable for something like this. Your 30 fps looks much smoother and, since the file size difference is only 1.3 MB, I think it's worth it. The only suggestion I have would be to add a volume fade-out at the end of the movie, since the music ends jarringly.

Now if you want to make our digression relevant to the thread topic, I suppose you could offer to make CaptJosh a simple customized Clavius intro movie once you're done with EV and EVO. 😉

Aha, if your's was 15 fps then I don't feel so bad about not getting mine to 3MB ;). The sound is different to the original .swf file, not just to the video you made - I copied the 'snd ' resources straight into the movie rather than letting them get processed by Flash.

Anyways, check my site now. I didn't add a fade-out to the sound but I did add an extra second of black at the end, allowing the sound to complete another loop before finishing. Hopefully that should suffice.

Josh, just say the word 😉

Works great. 😄

Ok, a little update. I've replaced the old gumdrop iMac with a G4 tower, so I have OS X 10.4.11 and can use some more up to date tools to work on Clavius rEVisited. And with OSX in place, I can share files directly between my windows box and the Mac. This should make things easier.

As for the idea of a custom Clavius intro, that would be nice. Though what I could really use first is a custom startup screen based on the alterations made to the EV startup screen for Clavius and Beyond, but it has to use the rEVisited startup screen as a base image.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 09 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Ok, data files transferred to the Mac. Also I have a fully operational copy of Nova on the Mac as well, along with rEVisited installed. Having some crash issues with the latest mission computer alpha, but I'm trying to get things put together for some more progress on the project.

More news. I found a backup of an older WIP copy of Clavius rEVisited which already has the planet spins set for the appropriate rlëDs in rEVisited, which should save some time. I wish my ship maker would show up again though. I need more updated ships for this so I can do more.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 17 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

Ok, so I was wrong being stuck without more ships. I've begun the tedious process of rearranging resource numbers to make sure Clavius does not interfere with rEVisited's resource numbers.

May I humbly ask for news of progress?

You may ask, but that doesn't mean you'll get any. 😉

A lot of things happened between my last post and now, including moving, and losing my old Clavius rEVisited work except for some graphics. I just got Nova going again on my machine which now runs Win7 64-bit. Looking at picking this back up yet again. I'll still need sprite grids for every ship except the Neutronic Kestrel and the NPPK Fighter. Possibly I have the Star Rider(Starider?), but I'm not sure. I need shipyard images for everything except the Neutronic Kestrel. I need outfit images for everything. I also need custom startup and menu screens based on the alterations made to the original EV startup screen by Clavius and Beyond, but with the rEVisited startup and menu backgrounds as the base images.

NOTE: This is going to be set up to work with Guy's adaptation of rEVisited for his EV port, as it's the best EV port I know of. His website is currently located at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/522679/ev/index.html. It's really nothing more than a file dump, but at least all the files are there. I may provide a mirror in the near future.

EDIT: Also, it seems that EVNEW is working again, so I may not need to dig out my ancient G4 Mac to work on this.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 17 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Ok, I'd like some help. Any ideas what to do with this dësc?

Stop wasting your precious time! This state-of-the-art, autoelectronical hyperspace coprocessor plugs directly into your autopilot, accelerating those tedious hyperspace jump route calculations by up to 30%.
Forget about hack-and-pray, this is real plug-and-play.

Who makes it? How much is it? What does it do?

Answer those, and you'll get a dësc from Geek's dësc-o-matic within two business days.

All I can think of for that desc are a minimum jump distance mod and a hyperspace interval mod. (Decrease distance you have to travel from system center in order to jump and shorten the amount of time it'll take to make a jump)

That's all you can really do since Nova doesn't have point A to B pathfinding between systems. (e.g. auto-routing)

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 18 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

Yes, that's what it is, but the language.

"autoelectronical"? I guess I'm saying that it sounds silly and I'd like better phrasing. As for who makes it, Clavius. Available only at Clavius station.

Are you looking for something like:

"Tired of Tunneling? Had it with Hyperspace? Are you wasting too much time getting around? Let Clavius Industries help you! Starting today, you can get your SuperDrive upgrade for a bargain like you've never seen! What is the SuperDrive? It the result of tireless research by the greatest minds in the galaxy, unraveling the mysteries of hyperlight travel like never before! With a simple modification to your existing hyperdrive and auxiliary thruster systems, you can break out of gravity wells like a pro, and cruise through Hyperspace up to 30% faster! Once you install our SuperDrive upgrade, you won't be able to imagine life without one! Get it today!"

Or maybe:

"Hyperspace travel is the pinnacle of the new Space Age. Can you imagine what it would be like to travel for years on end just to make it to Alpha Centauri from Earth? Of course you can't! Speed is your life. And yet, can it ever truly be fast enough? Stop spending days in non-dimensional vortexes! The scientists at Clavius are here to help you! Stop by for a hyperdrive upgrade at a price that simply cannot be rivaled! Once our procedure is finished, you will feel like you are in a whole new ship! Don't waste any more time! You won't regret it!"

Or should I get drier and more science-like?

This post has been edited by Geek : 19 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Geek @ Mar 19 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you looking for something like:

"Tired of Tunneling? Had it with Hyperspace? Are you wasting too much time getting around? Let Clavius Industries help you! Starting today, you can get your SuperDrive upgrade for a bargain like you've never seen! What is the SuperDrive? It the result of tireless research by the greatest minds in the galaxy, unraveling the mysteries of hyperlight travel like never before! With a simple _ < here> modification to your existing hyperdrive and auxiliary thruster systems, you can break out of gravity wells like a pro, and cruise through Hyperspace up to 30% faster! Once you install our SuperDrive upgrade, you won't be able to imagine life without one! Get it today!"_

Or maybe:

"Hyperspace travel is the pinnacle of the new Space Age. Can you imagine what it would be like to travel for years on end just to make it to Alpha Centauri from Earth? Of course you can't! Speed is your life. And yet, can it ever truly be fast enough? Stop spending days in non-dimensional vortexes! The scientists at Clavius are here to help you! Stop by for a hyperdrive upgrade at a price that simply cannot be rivaled! _ < here> Once our procedure is finished, you will feel like you are in a whole new ship! Don't waste any more time! You won't regret it!"_

Or should I get drier and more science-like?

I would say a bit more science and reduce the number of exclamation points while keeping the paragraph just as rich and flowing, maybe by adding a techy description where i put < here> in the paragraphs, and modify the surrounding sentences to keep the paragraph running smoothly. I don't have much experience with spamming technical jargon, else I would make a paragraph myself.

I agree with oryhara. You never see dëscs in any of the EV Games sounding like an advertisement. They all describe what the outfit does, who makes it, why it's used, etc. That's why the resource is called dësc, short for description, and not something like ädvt for advertisement.