Clavius rEVisited

But IE 4.5 isn't functional to do anything to speak of, so which is better? Slow, or doesn't work?

I grabbed my copy of IE off a Mac OS 8.5 disc, but I'd say doesn't work for my purposes, which include grabbing quick little downloads off the Ares add-ons page and doing nothing else.

iCab has extremely good standards support for an OS 9 browser (probably better than even IE7 :p). Can't comment on speed.

IE 7 isn't standards compliant. They aren't doing that until IE8, which is in development now. In any case iCab is working, mostly. So I'm ok.

Use the older os9 version of mozilla if you need a standards-compliant (at least somewhat) browser.

Couldn't find it. iCab is functioning quite well, despite advice against.

@captjosh, on Apr 6 2008, 12:00 PM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

Couldn't find it.

Should you want Mozilla, the final official OS 9 release (from 2002) is on this page. You have to scroll down to the 1.2.1 section. There also is apparently an unofficial (later?) build here. I was lead to these by the versiontracker page and the attached comments.

There's a reason they don't make Mozilla anymore: It's an "all-in-one internet suite" which they realised nobody wants. A big, slow piece of software which may have great standards support but I'd be surprised if it beat iCab.

I just really have no use for anything more than a browser on the Mac. The only thing I'm using it for is Nova development and playing old games like Spectre Supreme.

Some small update news: I've decided to work from Guy's unofficial rEVisited version (See his sig for link) for the base files and take and make sure xData from the most bug free version of rEVisited works with that. I have a feeling, given Guy's track record, of giving us better than the official versions of things like EV Classic and EV Override, I'm doing the right thing.

@guy, on Apr 6 2008, 03:36 PM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

There's a reason they don't make Mozilla anymore: It's an "all-in-one internet suite" which they realised nobody wants. A big, slow piece of software which may have great standards support but I'd be surprised if it beat iCab.

Actually, "they" still do make Mozilla -- just not for OS 9. It's now called SeaMonkey. I still use it to write and maintain very, very basic HTML pages. I'm sure there are better tools out there now, but it's free, it's familiar, and it does the job.

CaptJosh: Working from a Guy version of anything is usually a good idea!

I think so. I'm guessing it requires working from his port of EV classic as well, but that's no biggie. We all know his port is better than the official anyway. However, has anyone else noticed that EV under Windows doesn't play .swf files? I tried installing his EV Classic intro and it didn't work, but any regular movie file that quicktime supports plays, like .mov or .mpg. I left Guy a message requesting the source. I hope he has it in a .mov file.

@dr--trowel, on Apr 7 2008, 09:53 AM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

Actually, "they" still do make Mozilla -- just not for OS 9. It's now called SeaMonkey. I still use it to write and maintain very, very basic HTML pages. I'm sure there are better tools out there now, but it's free, it's familiar, and it does the job.

Hm, I thought they stopped working on that too. Guess not. Perhaps I should have said "which they realised very few people want" 😉

@dr--trowel, on Apr 7 2008, 09:53 AM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

CaptJosh: Working from a Guy version of anything is usually a good idea!

Heh heh. That's what you think :ninja:

@captjosh, on Apr 7 2008, 09:57 AM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

I think so. I'm guessing it requires working from his port of EV classic as well, but that's no biggie. We all know his port is better than the official anyway. However, has anyone else noticed that EV under Windows doesn't play .swf files? I tried installing his EV Classic intro and it didn't work, but any regular movie file that quicktime supports plays, like .mov or .mpg. I left Guy a message requesting the source. I hope he has it in a .mov file.

Gee, these people who don't read Read Mes. I can never understand them :rolleyes:. Two things you'll find in Read Mes: 1) Yes, the rEVisited from my site does require my EVC port, and 2) No, the flash intro does not work on Windows (putting the flash track inside a quicktime movie doesn't help). I could encode it as some sort of video but it would most likely be prohibitively large.
The rEV read me also mentions that it does not currently include the xData. This is simply because I haven't recreated it yet (it would be a lot of work).
Throwing in the xData from the original rEV would be asking for trouble, I'm afraid.
(Btw, feel free to test and comment on the current beta of my version of rEV :))

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

I'm going to be testing it. As for xData, I'm sure I can tinker that up from a different version of rEVisited to make it work with your version. And you never had that intro movie as anything other than a Shockwave file? Ouch... I figured you had a base movie that got converted. Oh well. Quicktime on windows used to be able to play Shockwave files, at least in theory. I guess they removed that support because most Windows users have Adobe shockwave installed. It's too bad.

In any case, I did locate a conversion utility, but the trial version leaves a watermark, and the file was 28.5 MB in size. Still, seeing that intro text there in the game, and hearing that old drum cadence as it scrolled by, it was almost worth the watermark on the video...

QuickTime Player doesn't seem to play .swf on my MacBook Pro any more, either. 😞

Using RealPlayer and Snapz Pro, I just made a decent-looking and -sounding ,mov version of Guy's intro. Here are the settings I used; more experimentation might uncover better ones:

Posted Image

It came out at 3 MB. That's a far cry from Guy's 88 KB marvel, but perhaps it's still worthwhile. I can post it -- but perhaps you can get cleaner QT output directly from your Shockwave authoring software, Guy?

I remember Quicktime having .swf support. You used to be able to associate the file type with it. Not sure what the last version I saw with that support was though. As for the size, how did you get it that small? The one I made was around 28+ megs, as I said above.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 07 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

@captjosh, on Apr 7 2008, 07:07 PM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

As for the size, how did you get it that small? The one I made was around 28+ megs, as I said above.

It's a matter of choosing the right compressor settings. At least on a Mac, most apps that can create .movs provide you with a range of choices. See if whatever program you used to do your conversion has an "expert" or "options" um, option. It might be a button in a "save" dialog, or a menu item of its own, a pane in the preferences....

Snapz is a screen capture app, so what I was doing was just playing the movie and then re-capturing the pixels output by the .swf. That's why I thought Guy might be able to do better using whatever app made the movie in the first place.

No expert settings that I saw. And it doesn't much matter. I don't want a watermark on the resulting file anyway.

After Quicktime 7.1 I believe, Flash support was removed for "security reasons". 😞

I upgraded, then hit myself on the head when I found out I couldn't even launch certain apps anymore.

So wait, that would mean that on any Mac running OSX with current QT, they'd also have the issue with .swf playback in Nova...

Darn. I was about to tell you guys to read the Read Me again but I just checked myself and you're right. Flash support has been removed in recent versions of QT. In 7.1.3 they disabled it by default and you had to enable it again but now it's completely gone. Ah well, if I ever do another update to the ports (unlikely) I'll have to do something about that.

Anyone with an older version of QT Pro should still be able to open the flash file and export to a new format. H.264, as Dr. Trowel chose, is the best and does result in relatively small files (though it may not be compatible with older computers). I don't actually have Flash installed anymore but with any luck I'll be able to find someone else who does. I'll post QT movies on my site when I get it worked out.

(Btw, I use this program for playback of flash files - I wouldn't touch Real with a 10 foot barge pole ;))