Escape Velocity: Orion

By the way, I'm Ed, as you've probably guessed. I'm working on the programming of the plug (so all the actual work.)

We're having a bit of trouble with it. Firstly, there si the problem that one(or more, we haven't been able to test them all yet) systems, when they are entered, quit the game. we have tried replacing the system and spobs, but nothing works. to worsen matters, EVNEW has started having problems with the file that has all the resources in it, and will not open it. it works fine with the EVO files, but not our one. The problem with quitting has happened before, but this is the first time that EVNEW will not open the file. Does anybody know what is wrong and/or how to fix it?

All help greatly appreciated

Ed

Regarding your crashing-when-entering-systems problem, there are two probable solutions:

1. Have you updated your Nova to 1.0.10?
2. Is the Message Buoy field for the problem systems set to 0? (If not used, it should be set to -1 - setting it to 0 caused a crash in 1.0.6, but I'm pretty sure that was fixed by 1.0.9.)

I'm in the process of downloading the newer version at the moment so I'll soon be able to check if its that, the message buoy I can't check because, as my brother says, we're having trouble getting EVNEW to open the files, which is odd seeing as Nova can. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

EDIT: @Ed boy, I don't want to get into an argument about this here so kindly edit your post

This post has been edited by Foreign Object Impact : 01 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

@dr-neverhood, on Jul 7 2006, 01:50 PM, said in spob graphics:

I had this, or a similar problem a while back. Make sure that the spob's graphics number is connected to the right spin ID. Then make sure that the spin has a one before it.

In my case I had the graphic field set to 255 and my spin ID was also 255 when it should have been 1255.

Your problem may be different, though. I hope this helps.

Here's the advice I gave Chronodrago when he had a similar issue. Seemed to work for him, too.

Progress is continuing, but we have encountered a problem, when giving the x and y coordinates for the location of systems it sometimes does not place them in the positions that I would expect, do nova map coordinates look like: (please excuse my terrible drawings)

a ) like this
........+y..........
..........|...........
..........|...........
|_ +x
..........|...........
..........|...........
..........|...........

or

b ) like this:
+y
|
|

_________ +x

Also we're looking for decent russian-sounding, if not, actual russian names for planets, systems, people, and objects. If anyone can help us with this we'd be gratefull

@foreign-object-impact, on Aug 3 2006, 11:17 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

do nova map coordinates look like:...

Neither. They look like this:
.........-y...........
...........|...........
...........|...........
-x____|____+x
...........|...........
...........|...........
.........+y..........

The same is true inside systems.

Edwards

@foreign-object-impact, on Aug 4 2006, 04:17 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

If anyone can help us with this we'd be gratefull

Nyet. 😛

@edwards, on Aug 4 2006, 06:55 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Neither. They look like this:

One thing I've always wondered: why exactly is the y-coordinate defined as being positive down?

Incidentally, FOI, that's quite clearly stated in the Nova Bible...

@foreign-object-impact, on Aug 3 2006, 01:17 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Also we're looking for decent russian-sounding, if not, actual russian names for planets, systems, people, and objects. If anyone can help us with this we'd be gratefull

The Russian alphabet is not the same as the English and Nova harshly rejects abnormal characters.

Psst - that's why he was planning to transliterate the names into English. I mean, when was the last time you wrote "Moscow" in Cyrillic?

Quiet, you!

@belthazar, on Aug 3 2006, 06:18 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Psst - that's why he was planning to transliterate the names into English. I mean, when was the last time you wrote "Moscow" in Cyrillic?

Mockba!

сломайте его вверх по людям!!! 😉

Another question springs to mind, is it possible to have a primary weapon with limited ammo?

Think hail chaingun. Indeed you can limit primary weapon's ammunitions. The only difference between primary and secondary is a little flag.

Ok thanks. Another question, is it possible to have several different types of escape pod outfits, (not at the same time) and depending on which one you have you eject in a different ship and start in a different one, possibly in a different set of possible systems?

There's only one actual escape pod possible, as it has a reserved shďp ID number which the game associates with the escape pod, and thus makes it function as an escape pod. That said, you can have several different escape ships, but this simply has the effect of placing the player in a new ship - there's no pause-and-recover as there is with the escape pod.

However, the OnPurchase field of shďp 128 is fired whenever you get it after using an escape pod, so it might be possible to fake what you want:
Make shďp 128 unpurchasable. In its OnPurchase field, put "Bxxx Sqqq", where mission qqq is set to auto-abort and advance the date by one day.
For each different escape pod, have it set a specific bit (one for each escape pod) when you buy it, and unset it when you sell it. (And have the outfit stay with your ship? Otherwise, when you capture or buy a new ship, you'll lose the escape pod without losing the bit.)
Create a set of cröns that fire 100% of the time when both Bit xxx and one of the escape pod bits are set, that will give you the proper replacement ship, and teleport you to the proper system.

Example:
mďsn 128: Auto-abort, DatePostInc=1

oütf 128: Escape Pod 1, OnPurchase="B1", OnSell="!B1", Stays with ship
oütf 129: Escape Pod 2, OnPurchase="B2", OnSell="!B2", Stays with ship

shďp 128: After Escape Pod ship, OnPurchase="B0 S128"

crön 128: After Pod 1;Give Ship 129, EnableOn="B0 & B1", OnStart="H129 R(N128 N129)"
crön 128: After Pod 2;Give Ship 130, EnableOn="B0 & B2", OnStart="H130 R(N130 N131)"

Edwards

@belthazar, on Aug 3 2006, 06:22 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Nyet. 😛
One thing I've always wondered: why exactly is the y-coordinate defined as being positive down?

Incidentally, FOI, that's quite clearly stated in the Nova Bible...

It's a holdover from the days when pixels had to be specified individually (maybe still needed for machine-level coding?) and they were counted from the upper left of the screen.

Sorry for lack of updates, I've been in Corsica for a week and a bit. This post is just to confirm that work is being done on it and it hasn't been forgotten. I will post again soon with some updates

Progress has resumed again. I've been messing around in wings and have been experimenting with putting panels on the ships to give it a 'crisper' feeling to it and trying out different colour schemes. This is just a very simple model which I might develop further or fiddle (sp?) with later. Anyway comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Posted Image

This new (aimg) tag has me clicking on every image that looks like it might be a thumbnail.