Escape Velocity: Orion

progress log

Hi you guys might remember some weeks ago I announced that I was making a tc for EV Nova. As I said then prgress was going to slow down, probably to a stop because of exams. Well as of now, I have just finished my GCSEs and my revision for them, progress is now speeding up and will be going considerably faster as it is now summer holidays.

This thread is going to be used pretty much in the same way as the previous one, I'll post updates as regularily as I can and will welcome as much (constructive) critiscism, opinions, suggestions and whatnot.

Anywho, I will see you guys around, this first post is just to stop people thinking that this tc has turned into vaporware like so many others.

EDIT: here is the original topic:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...49&hl=Orion

This post has been edited by Foreign Object Impact : 27 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

Somehow having a topic about a TC does not make it less vapour inducing.

On the other hand, it would make these boards a wee bit more interesting if everybody talked about what they were doing in the TC they're working on, even if it really has no real conceivable chance of actually coming out.

If you're making a mod for a game in your free time, you're probably doing it for your own edification and enjoyment, not that of the people who play it once... if it comes out--not to say that isn't an added plus.

So I, at the very least, would be interested in what you've been doing with EV, Foreign.

@rmx256, on Jun 25 2006, 03:02 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Somehow having a topic about a TC does not make it less vapour inducing.

May be true, but neither does lack of support. The less that people tell the makers of plugs that their plug is going to be vapourware, the less the chance of it becoming so. Last I checked, Foreign was doing good work on the TC, and the fact that it hasn't died out in a week makes it more successful than half of the TC's announced.

Here is the older topic.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 25 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

I guess we'll see if it worked in about two to five years (I hope no more than that).

I understand that it is a pretty big project but we're getting there and support and people to bounce opinions and ideas against them and get feedback. So yeah, tell me what you think of this ship. This is probably going to be used as either your standard cargo ship or a shuttle.

This is going to be part of the image for the picture you see in the shipyard. I know it isn't too clear here because the pic is a bit small but there is a pretty cool effect with the windows on the ship.

Posted Image

Here is a close up of the window, these lines are here just because wings 3d doesn't show the boundaries between pannels very clearly

Posted Image

this is another view of it

Posted Image

I actually like that quite a bit. That window effect is very nice and you can tell it'll just look good in-game. Even though it's simple, I say good work to you, sir!

Thanks 🙂 One of the other ideas that I have for tc is that the humans are not split into the Federation and rebels, but the Earth Coalition, and the Old Soviet Republic. Like the space race between NASA and the Russian cosmonauts but continuing on a greater scale.

Here is a design idea for the Soviet shuttle. Tell me what you guys think of it.

Posted Image

@foreign-object-impact, on Jun 27 2006, 05:18 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Here is a design idea for the Soviet shuttle. Tell me what you guys think of it.

Wow, I like the look of things here - even more so now that I've read your first thread. (You may want to put a link to that in the first post of this thread, so that people know exactly WHY you're making a progress log.)

Foreign Object Impact said:

I like it, but I think the rear engine part could be re-worked a little. As it is now, it makes the shuttle looks a little too boxy. Maybe if you made it a tad smaller, or somewhat of a different shape.

This post has been edited by Razzle Storm : 26 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

I personally think "boxy" works well with the design.

I dig dese pics. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback guys 🙂 I was going for a slightly boxy look for the soviet ships so that there would be more of a contrast between them and the 'sleeker' NASA ships. Here's another ship I'm working on at the moment I haven't given it a name yet but Here it is, tell me what you think of it. (Photobucket keeps scaling it down 😞 )

Posted Image

If you guys have more ideas for ships then feel free to post them and I'll give them a go.

Those pics look cool! Keep up the good work.

Heres a ship I made a while ago in Bryce, feel free to steal the design if you want as I wasn't planning on using it for anything. 🙂

Attached File Ship.jpg (28.27K)
Number of downloads: 112

Thanks 🙂 I may just have to steal that from you, I'm going to have to work on lighting for my other ships now. Anywho, I've done some more work on that ship I posted earlier and here's the result. The picture is pretty small but I'm signing up for file den so I can have a larger version.

Posted Image

What graphics program are you using for these? Or did I miss that somewhere?

Are you adding the color in Wings? If you are there is even more of that program that I don't know about... Excelent work by the way. i am so jealous of your skill at making these, of your patience too.

Huh. I thought the modelling looked like it was done in wings, but if apparently your rendering engine works a whole lot better than with my copy of wings; renders in mine are almost too blurry to make out.

Wonderboy said:

Are you adding the color in Wings? If you are there is even more of that program that I don't know about... Excelent work by the way. i am so jealous of your skill at making these, of your patience too.

It's possible to add color in Wings 3d. I'm at work right now or I would tell you the exact steps. I know it mentions it in the Dog house tutorial.

Foreign Object Impact said:

Thanks I may just have to steal that from you, I'm going to have to work on lighting for my other ships now. Anywho, I've done some more work on that ship I posted earlier and here's the result. The picture is pretty small but I'm signing up for file den so I can have a larger version.

Posted Image

I love it. The color scheme makes it look kind of like a Luxury Liner, or some sort of space cruise ship. Very nice.

This post has been edited by Razzle Storm : 27 June 2006 - 06:17 PM