Good free photo edditiong program

That has been tested by you for making ship sprites

I was just wondering what a really good program(that is free) for making/edditing picture files for ship sprites is. Doesent matter what system because our Mac is up and running again(yay!) But I have tried a (old) free/trial version of graphic converter, been moping around in Paint(yuck!) and well I finaly decided to ask you guys. I diden't google because I wan't something that lots of people have used for just this purpose and think its really good.

Much Thanks,
-WonderBoy

(Edit): I probably shuld of said this before, but, I would like links and also others might like them to.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 03 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

I use Graphic Converter. Latest version of course :). You can still get a free trial of it.

My vote is also for GKON, though I use Photoshop 5.5

GIMP is a very cool piece of free software (for OS X, Windows, and Unix). The only problem is that it can't work with .PICT files, but you can use Preview to convert stuff back and forth.

I, personally use Photoshop 2.5. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

@eegras-studios, on May 3 2006, 10:01 AM, said in Good free photo edditiong program:

I, personally use Photoshop 2.5. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

I applaud your ability to use such an ancient program. 😛

(I use Photoshop CS, so I can't really recommend any free programs)

Photoshop 3.0. I haven't made anything with it though and I'm still trying to figure out how it works. Looks promising! 😄

Gimp is good... You could also use MSPaint (I created a ship in it once, but I can't say I reccomend it... :p)

Photoshop is the best in my opinion. I use CS which is (I believe) the latest. You can get a 30 day trial HERE.
You'll need to scroll down to "Adobe Photoshop CS2 tryout."

Well, so far I have downloaded GIMP, I like it alot but it still has some weird stuff in it but thats ok 'cus I have figgured a way around it. I have also started downloading a trial for PhotoShop dont remember if its CS or not but if it is well I really dont heave the money to buy it($600+) and if the other versions of it are free, I hope I dled one, because the file is a whopping 364 Meg and I have DSL so It takes about 2 hrs to dl 😞 but again GIMP has all of what I was looking for at this point in time, maby Photoshop will be beter but hey I might not like the format. Who knows untill I try it. will inform you later. Thanks for all the help!

-WonderBoy

(Later): Ok, so far I like GIMP the best for atleast one reason: It has infinite undos 😄 that and its a smaller program that doesent have a trial time period.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 03 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

@wonderboy, on May 3 2006, 05:22 PM, said in Good free photo edditiong program:

(Later): Ok, so far I like GIMP the best for atleast one reason: It has infinite undos 😄 that and its a smaller program that doesent have a trial time period.

Photoshop does as well, but it is still prohibitively expensive for most people. If I didn't have access to it from work, i'd probably be using Gimp.

While GIMP is realy good, I also need a good and free(of course) modeling program. My ship still looks kinda bad sence it looks completly flat Posted Image Any help out there this time?

Oh, and like my smily? I made it in GIMP in about 12 seconds.

@wonderboy, on May 4 2006, 09:45 PM, said in Good free photo edditiong program:

While GIMP is realy good, I also need a good and free(of course) modeling program. My ship still looks kinda bad sence it looks completly flat Posted Image Any help out there this time?

Well, there's always Wings 3D, which is great for modelling. You'll need some other program for the actual rendering; I've heard good things about Blender.

Textedit. Or the MS counterpart: Notepad.

Both can be very useful for graphics creation.

For instance:

Posted Image

Image Code (rich text file)

@crusader-alpha, on May 4 2006, 11:22 PM, said in Good free photo edditiong program:

Textedit. Or the MS counterpart: Notepad.

I do all my web graphics in BBEdit.

@evula, on May 5 2006, 10:09 AM, said in Good free photo edditiong program:

I do all my web graphics in BBEdit.

I do all my art in binary.

I once made a 30-minute long movie that way.

I do all my images by moonlight.