GTW Round VII

Yes, I'm great at lurking. If you notice the times I am online, most of them would fall in a certain slot of 0700-0815 and 1600-2100 NZST with a few exceptions on weekends.

At the moment, I am drifting towards voting for Anon, as he was quick to vote against Mack one mrxak had voted for him.

@gutlesswonder, on Oct 1 2007, 01:53 AM, said in GTW Round VII:

Your random numbers are your downfall, as is your insistence on the reliance of your comrades. I propose that the numbers weren't random, and the late vote against mrxak was only to throw suspicion off of yourself.

Given, as indicated by Eugene Chin's analysis, that GutlessWonder is a likely innocent, I think I'm going with that call and vote 1Eevee1 (retracted). Don't get me wrong, I'm not bandwaggoning; I just think that Gutless may be right. (Further, Gutless might be the intelligence agent and may have investigated 1Eevee1 during the night.)

As always, this opinion is subject to change if different evidence comes to light.

This post has been edited by prophile : 03 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

@eugene-chin, on Sep 30 2007, 08:18 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

darth_vader:
Voted against me, stating that I was jumping on kickme, with no real explanation; claiming that I was merely restating the fact that it was the first round and we had nothing to go on yet.

Naturally, I percieve this as inaccurate. While I did rephrase that fact, the crux of my post was that kickme's argument was, at its core, ideologing; that the stated reasoning behind it was unsound. This is the argument I reinforced the next time I posted; not that it was too soon and we had nothing to go on, but that going on ideologing was worse than nothing.

I didn't even vote against kickme.

I know you didn't vote against kickme, but you were still accusing him. It seems that we view this game differently. I don't really get into my role all that much, so I see "ideolouging"or whatever as simply a way of roleplaying what is essentially a random vote. So jumping on someone for voting with their country is hardly useful, anymore than jumping on someone for randomly voting, which also seems to be what a lot of people are doing on 1Eevee1.

@anon, on Sep 30 2007, 05:02 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

For this reason, I find rebelswin_85 to be extremely suspicious. He voted for mrxak when it was relatively safe to do so, but retracted his vote when the vote went the other way.

My only defense is what Eugene Chin said, a last-minute second-guessing. The amount of band wagoning was quite suspicious--it seemed likely that such a big response would generally include at least one of the dictators. However, another solution was presented by Eugene Chin: the "off one dictator to give the other dictator a clean name" strategy. The only problem is that it presents us with a very large pool of possible suspects. To play out such a hand would require careful planning ahead and two very clever people, but I already stated my suspicions that this is a very clever group of traitors. Eugene Chin and mrxak would be two of the cleverer players I've seen.

Why Eugene Chin? Because he's trying the hardest. I don't have any positive evidence that he is the evil dictator, but the fact that he put as much effort into his list as he did makes me wonder. Generally, the people who try hardest to win the game are the evil dictators: they have the numbers against them, and must pay more attention and make a greater effort to remain concealed. mrxak made a strong play, so too might Eugene Chin.

The only reason I doubt this is that mrxak lost because he over-played his hand. I called him on it, and others responded. So it is possible that whoever is the remaining traitor, being vindicated by taking out mrxak, will now lie low. Also, I may be overly drawn to pegging Eugene Chin as the other evil dictator as it would be almost poetic for him to damn himself by his own theory. Either that or unthinkable and thus a likely course for someone being very clever... I don't know what to think at this point.

I leave it to you guys to discuss this further, Eugene Chin to defend himself, and someone to explain to me why we're attacking 1Eevee1?

This post has been edited by rebelswin_85 : 01 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

They think that my random number generator wasn't random enough.

I'm not exactly sure how a random number generator couldn't be random, but...

Or maybe it's the whole damsel in distress bit.

Guys, I ain't a girl, get those dirty images of me in a dress out of your heads.

Anyway, I cast my vote for...

794 2828 4021 3457 5876 6197 6447 8938 3473 9449 9645 7976 4445 1271 4361 4672 5243 2464 9813 3184 9665 4089 3639 3198 6250 4345 428 9039 6415 2312 3298 9729 4640 756 5504 4018 3506 2059 1984 3974 3156 1051 3975 3039 6937 6024 3337 9654 2335 4540

I will cast a tentative vote for darth_vader , but it will probably change later on.

And in case anybody asks why, because of the numbers. Those random enough?

Anon has been pretty quiet. He voted against Mack in the first round, refusing to call against mrxak, which by itself is somewhat understandable, but I didn't think that Mack had a strong case against him at all, not even as strong as the admittedly fairly weak one against mrxak. He hasn't said anything this round after accusing rebelswain ( I will continue to spell it that way, no one can stop me) who conveniently was the first to accuse mrxak last round. All in all, not the best case against someone I have ever seen, but enough for now, especially since I'm still trying to figure stuff out. This has got to be the most confusing game of GTW I have played.

Yeah. I mean, who here, apart from me, has used an RNG to determine votes before?

But I agree, darth, this is a confusing game, henceforth my vote for darth_vader is retracted , because the only thing I know is that kittens meow and one of us is a terrorist.

@1eevee1, on Oct 1 2007, 07:52 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

But I agree, darth, this is a confusing game, henceforth my vote for darth_vader is retracted , because the only thing I know is that kittens meow and one of us is a terrorist.

Aha! But that's two things! Interesting...

@nfreader, on Sep 30 2007, 12:13 AM, said in GTW Round VII:

nfreader looked at himself in his office mirror, trying to decide on a good look. Thinking quickly, he decided to roll up his sleeves and loosen his tie for that good old 'I've been up for 24 hours' look. Smirking confidently to himself, he gathered his papers and left for the briefing room.

Five minutes later, consul nfreader entered the room, and without a word, passed out the results of the voting and took his seat at the head of table. mrxak quickly stood up, looking extremely flustered. "I, uh, I have to go, uh, do something important..." he said, stumbling out of the room. There was a quick scuffle outside the door followed by a muffled bang. nfreader drummed his fingers on the table impatiently, the sound echoing around the suddenly silent room. An aide quickly entered the room and whispered into nfreader's ear. Smiling widely, he quickly stood up and beamed at the assembled leaders. "Gentlemen, we got him! Unfortunately, there's still one more left. We don't know WHO it is, but I just learned that they'll be striking soon. We need to act NOW to stop them from striking. My intelligence agent needs to tell me who he thinks the person is and I NEED A DAMNED CUP OF COFFEE." With that he stormed out of the room, slamming the door loudly behind him.

Vote one final tally
----
mrxak
Mackilroy 3
Eugene Chin 1
Rebelswin 1

Well, you got me. Although let it be known that I was playing as if I were innocent. Next time, when the exact same thing happens, I'm seriously due for being innocent, remember that. You got lucky, nothing more.

@nfreader, on Sep 30 2007, 11:05 AM, said in GTW Round VII:

The mood in the breifing room was much more reserved the next morning. Despite taking out one of the seperatists, the other had struck in the middle of the night. That morning, the leaders woke up to find a mushroom cloud lingering over the Chinese mainland, broadcast to the world by CNN. nfeader turned off the TV and turned around to face the congregation. "Gentlemen, half a billion people are dead, along with prime minister Mackilroy. The man responsible for those deaths is in this room. Stop him, before he strikes again!"

Woot! I am avenged!

@mackilroy, on Sep 30 2007, 02:18 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

😞

I'm sad.

mrxak, how dare you have your terrorist counterpart nuke me! 😛 Just kidding.

Get 'em for me, boys!

Hehe, I had nothing to do with it, I swear. Truth be told I hadn't looked at the topic or contacted my cohort since the first night. I might just as well have been able to stay alive had I not gotten a DS that next day, haha. But I certainly approve of your death :p.

@1eevee1, on Oct 1 2007, 07:52 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

They think that my random number generator wasn't random enough.

I'm not exactly sure how a random number generator couldn't be random, but...

For the record, computerized random number generators are either doing some function on the clock or using a table. Either way, completely predictable results are had. For random numbers, dice for the win!

Anyway, I watch eagerly to see how things progress. I think you're all doomed, quite frankly.

Posted Image

🙂

That's also highly true. See the IEEE RFC document for confirmation.

Warning: This random number generator may not be entirely random. There is a small chance of your numbers being worked out by a fat geek in America. He likes Linux, Martians, Futurama and kittens.

Well, that explains EVERYTHING.

I vote for Fat Linux Geek.

@1eevee1, on Oct 2 2007, 02:35 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

<snip>
Well, that explains EVERYTHING.

Actually, from what I understand of mrxak and random number generators in general, we should be voting against the clock inside your computer.

In the future, I recommend that you claim to own a RNG powered by a nuclear device. For true randomness. And really, as major world powers, I think we can afford them.

If you want a decent random number, use a die. In other news...

GET WITH THE MURDEROUS RAMPAGES!

@rebelswin_85, on Oct 3 2007, 07:29 AM, said in GTW Round VII:

Actually, from what I understand of mrxak and random number generators in general, we should be voting against the clock inside your computer.

In the future, I recommend that you claim to own a RNG powered by a nuclear device. For true randomness. And really, as major world powers, I think we can afford them.

But even then, it won't be accurate. It'll be out by 0.0001 seconds a year! And that's a risk.

And for this round, I'll vote for, instead of the Linux Geek... Anon.

@1eevee1, on Oct 2 2007, 07:26 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

But even then, it won't be accurate. It'll be out by 0.0001 seconds a year! And that's a risk.

And for this round, I'll vote for, instead of the Linux Geek... Anon.

He doesn't mean an atomic clock. In this case, nuclear device means a meter of the random (yes truly random) fissioning of unstable atoms in a radioactive element.

And a Nuclear Bomb would be an even riskier RNG.

Still debating with myself on who to vote for... How long do we have left?

I don't know how long these rounds are supposed to last. We've already had 48 hours, coming up on 60. Perhaps it's 72 hours, or simply when everyone has voted.

Thanks.

It's not that I don't suspect anyone, it's that the arguments I justify it with seem weak to me.

The current vote has Anon and 1Eevee1 in the lead, but I don't really suspect either of them.

I've written a lot about how a possible baton-pass / suicide would be a stupid plan, but GutlessWonder's sudden accusation of 1Eevee1 has always struck me as unreasonable. Still, it could just be me being oversensitive to behavior only I seem to see as irrational.

prophile is the other player that draws my attention. In one post, in one breath, he cites one part of my analysis, and ignores the other. It might be an evil player taking advantage of an innocent player's missteps. Still a weak argument, though.

Of course, this round has been quieter than the first, so I don't have as much to go on.

But, as much as Gutless's attention on 1Eevee1 draws my ire, I still don't think that the dictators would have turned on each other, not so early in the game. If even one of the anti-mrxak voters had outright switched to Mackilroy, it would have left the population Innocent 6: Evil 2, instead of Innocent 7: Evil 1. At the very least, it would have forced the innocents to waste one more turn lynching mrxak than it took.

And, I don't want nfreader suddenly ending the round on us without my having voiced these concerns.

Since it's high time I voted, then: prophile. Retracted to force a tie.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 02 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

I was going to play this round assuming I was already dead. I was hoping to draw people out so that I could make a more accurate guess, and post it before my lynching. Then, when I was proven innocent by my death, you would have taken my claim seriously in the next round. But, I've got nothing. You all are playing so damned irregularly.

So, I retract my vote for rebelswin and I'm changing my vote to 1Eevee1. His play is unbalanced. He may have gotten lucky last round and voted for the right person, but overall, he's dangerous, whether he's a dictator or not.