GTW Round VII

<Insert maniacal laughter>

Consul nfreader stands before the United Nations Security Council, letting the gathered heads of state take in his awesome power. The backlighting might have been overdoing it, but who cares. He looked down at his prepared notes and began.

"Gentlemen, today we face a crisis of unimaginable proportions. I have just been handed these notes that indicate that there are elements among us, IN YOUR OWN GOVERNMENTS, working against your country, the UN and even humanity itself. We believe that these people have access to nuclear weapon launch codes, we believe they are evil and we believe that they are among us in this room."

"Now then, like most of you, I don't want to see the world be destroyed. As such, I have granted one of you with the absolute power to decide who to-PRIME MINISTER EUGENE, IS SOMETHING AMUSING TO YOU?" The counsel glared at Eugene Chin who had a smirk on his face. He quickly stopped smiling, looked squarely at nfreader and simply stated "No, please continue." nfreader glared at Eugene a bit longer before continuing. "Like I was saying, one of you has been granted absolute power with no limitations." kickme raises his hand. "Yes?"
"Doesn't absolute power corrupt?"
"Yes, but you're all high ranking world leaders, I hope you'll be able to control yourself."
"Uh, I'm not so sure about that..."
The assembled group muttered amongst themselves in agreement.
"Leaders! Leaders please! That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. One of you is the intel agent and two among you are pure evil. Ok? Good. We'll reconvene in 48 hours. Now go."

US:
President: kickme, Vice President: rebelswin_85, Military Commander in Chief: mrxak

UK:
Prime Minister: GutlessWonder, Minister of War: darth_vader

USSR:
Prime Minister: Eugene Chin, Minister of War: Anon

China:
Prime Minister: Mackilroy, Minister of War: 1Eevee1, Minister of Counter Intelligence: prophile

... talking down to us like we're recalcitrant children...

The Russian people would like to know more about this "Absolut Power" that you speak of. Perhaps you could enlighten us about it?

Frankly, the idea of a Vodka-based power is quite appealing to me.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 27 September 2007 - 09:48 PM

I'm always China... 😛

At any rate, the PRC stands ready to attack the terrorists, no matter the cost.

So wait, what? I totally don't understand what's going on.

Also, I think the correct spelling is Commander in Chief ;).

@mrxak, on Sep 27 2007, 09:59 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

So wait, what? I totally don't understand what's going on.

I think we can safely conclude that someone is not an intelligence agent. Or perhaps he's simply chosen excellent camouflage. Pardon the pun.

On a serious note, Mother Russia's Ministry of War is prepared to commit all resources to rooting out these evil elements.

Ugh, typos. This is what I get when I write stuff this late in the day.

But what's this about one of us having absolute power?

As the Chinese minister for war, I would like to inform you that we hold the trademarks to morse codes in contracts and forum posts, and that we demand compensation from nfreader for supplying the electricity for the backlighting.

...---...

As the President of the USA, I move to open trade with Russia.

We get vodka, they get food.

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling, since somebody has to. I believe that this time around, somebody in the free world is to blame. My own countrymen may be guilty, and I also accuse the United Kingdom. If any Communist countries are involved, I believe only a maximum of one may have a... uh, whatever we're calling these people... traitors?

Now at this time, I don't see a reason to cause too much disruption within my own country. After all, I must freely admit that I am in a stronger position with my own nation having a loose alliance here, at least to start. Anybody in the USA that is guilty of anything will eventually show their true colors. So, in the meantime, I believe that the UK should be our first target using the above reasoning that this time the "good guys" are probably not good guys since the reverse was true last time. Now, using more metagame thinking, I believe of the two, GutlessWonder is more likely to be a traitor since in the last game darth_vader is innocent (this could be faulty thinking, but at this time too much second-guessing is a bad idea and previous experience is all we really have to go on).

So, I vote

Spoiler

GutlessWonder

. I fully expect this to backfire, but let me remind you all that bandwagoning on the first guy to speak up has never resulted in the killing of a terrorist before. I also hope you don't just bandwagon to kill GutlessWonder. If you agree with my (albeit somewhat reaching) logic, vote for GutlessWonder. If you don't, feel free to convince me otherwise and offer other names. All I have to go on so far is who I would pick if I was running this game, and it's more than probable that with the set-up this game has, GutlessWonder would be one of them. The second person? Probably Eugene Chin or prophile, but I'm not prepared to accuse either of those people until I've determined everybody in the UK or US is innocent. Of course, I'm not running this game, my picks could be way off, but right now GutlessWonder is the person I'm thinking is most likely.

It's only a 20% chance we'll get any traitor in the first vote, but I'd like to think I've improved the odds of landing in that 20%. If you agree with me, vote with me. If not, don't just jump on me because I spoke up first.

I'm fully committed to using the MI5 to investigate my own Prime Minister if necessary, but I don't see enough evidence in that post to accuse, as I know you realize, mrxak. I'd like to wait until the majority of people have posted at least once before I cast judgment on them (or on lurkers who try to stay hidden. I can still see you.)

One would think that a man in my position has enough to put up with without these accusations. At the least, however, you seem to understand how spurious they are. I believe it is a fallacy of extreme proportions to look at any past "games" and think that they have any bearing here. But, also in recognition that bandwagoning is also not a good tactic, I will not blindly reciprocate your vote, even in self-defense. I very much would like to see others post, and hear their viewpoints, before making any decisions.

The Russians have historically been rife with corruption. This produces an environment in which terrorism flourishes. We Chinese, on the other hand, clamp down hard on such events. One would note we also have been largely innocent in the past.

I'll vote when I get home from work in ten hours, if that's fine with Nick.

mrxak, surely you realize that a potential terrorist strategy would be to speak first and make sure to remind everyone how the first person to speak has never been a terrorist. It is an awful risk, but if successful, grants the terrorist a small amount of immunity by securing them in people's minds as less likely to be involved. Please note, I am not accusing you... pending further discussion of whether it is a risk you would be likely to take.

"Minister of Counter Intelligence"? Does that mean what I think it means? 😛

Now my take on this is that there's no way we can know anything really at this point, which makes me a little wary of mrxak and Mack. But I've missed out on the past few games, so I think I'll just wait for the discussions here.

This post has been edited by prophile : 28 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

He's saying ur dumb, lols.

@mrxak, on Sep 27 2007, 11:00 PM, said in GTW Round VII:

<snip>

My but everyone's being so circumspect... You realize, mrxak, that by applying the same sort of metagame thinking as you recommend, we might suppose that you are a traitor? (as Anon pointed out) It seems obvious to me that whoever the traitors are this round, they are being very clever. No one is pointing fingers, there is an excess of analysis with nothing to discuss, and even GutlessWonder is being most gentile about the accusation made against him. In short, I highly doubt that we will get anywhere useful in this round. So I vote for Retracted mrxak. Why? Because he's one of the most clever, and I hold cleverness to be suspicious this time.

This post has been edited by rebelswin_85 : 29 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

I shall vote, but as the Chinese minister of war, I must await orders from my comrade superior first before I commit my vote to any delegates here.

(Translation - I have no idea. No pointing out that military intelligence is an oxymoron, either.)

rebelswin_85 fails my test.

Yes, I still believe GutlessWonder may be a traitor, but I think we've found the other one. I had hoped to draw out people like you ready to jump on me or him simply because we appeared safest to target. People that do that don't care who dies, as long as it is not them. Bandwagoning or going after easy targets is the sort of thing a traitor would do.

What did I say? The bad guys would come from the free world? Those who think I'm clever, I suggest you listen to what I'm saying. But again, don't just bandwagon. If you don't agree with me just don't vote the same as me. But don't vote against me unless you have good reason to.

rebelswin_85 , voting for your own country man is dishonourable. Thus you are a traitor.