Delphi Ship Creations

@spartan-jai, on Sep 26 2010, 05:04 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Did this die? It's 16th on the list of topics! Or is Delphi finished?

Presumably, no one has made anything worth posting for ~2 weeks, and thus has posted nothing. Myself, I've created quite a few things and not posted them because I'm not sure what direction I'm taking (if any), and most of them don't use Delphi's parts.

Seeing as everyone is doing the wireframe stuff, I thought I'd join in. I was messing with this in photoshop.

Attached File(s)

My new beast of a carrier, the Razorback. Based heavily off of the UNSC Aegis Fate frigate from the Halo series.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nice! I must say, manticore, you're getting very good at this. I've also noticed you seem to prefer the bare ribs design. It definitely contributes to that 'heavy armour' look.

Jai, your wireframe fighter looks like a stealth fighter, but in non-stealth mode. Basically, it looks like the white lines are lights meant to make the fighter visible when needed. Very stylish.

Now, just so I have a reason for posting other than just offering congratulations, here's a large render of a basic torpedo from HOTS.
Posted Image

@darthkev, on Sep 30 2010, 06:14 AM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Jai, your wireframe fighter looks like a stealth fighter, but in non-stealth mode. Basically, it looks like the white lines are lights meant to make the fighter visible when needed. Very stylish.

Thanks! My sister was showing me around, and I might start using photoshop for masks.

King Of Manticores, you have done an excellent job on that. I congratulate you on your ability to make Halo-esque ships! The only structural differences I can see are the bridge placement and the missing double-hull. Really cool! Honestly though, I feel that the bare ribs take away from the strong armor look. Personally, the smooth hulls look stronger because it looks like someone took a plate of titanium three yards thick and stuck it onto the side of a starship. Just a thought. And why is the torpedo square? rectangular?

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 30 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

@spartan-jai, on Sep 30 2010, 12:35 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

And why is the torpedo square? rectangular?

It's based on the design used in EVC. Mine differs slightly due to ion propulsion thrusters covering almost every angle of the torpedo. Everywhere you see translucent blue is an ion thruster. This allows the torpedoes quick maneuverability to catch large ships that would try and dodge. They're still slow, though, so smaller ships needn't worry unless flying right at them.

@darthkev, on Sep 30 2010, 03:14 AM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Nice! I must say, manticore, you're getting very good at this. I've also noticed you seem to prefer the bare ribs design. It definitely contributes to that 'heavy armour' look.

Haha, thanks. The ribbed hull block is by far my favorite piece. 😄

King Of Manticores, you have done an excellent job on that. I congratulate you on your ability to make Halo-esque ships! The only structural differences I can see are the bridge placement and the missing double-hull.

I only used one reference image for that, really. I'm not really a Halo player, I just found this ship cool and I stored it. I didn't know why then, but the picture has served its purpose now. 😛

I don't know what you'd really consider the bridge. I do know that I took away the most extruding part of the MAC gun (if that's the bridge) because I honestly did not know how to implement that. I replaced it with two giant (not so visible) vents, as the carrier uses a giant spinal rail cannon.

As for the double-hull, I'm not quite certain what this is.

Honestly though, I feel that the bare ribs take away from the strong armor look. Personally, the smooth hulls look stronger because it looks like someone took a plate of titanium three yards thick and stuck it onto the side of a starship. Just a thought.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind doing that either, but using panel chunks doesn't sit with me very well mainly because I doubt I could texture the Razorback to look like an Aegis Fate. It's why I like being technical.

I think it would be easy to do, but not with delphi's pieces. Panel chunks just aren't that smooth. Just because they aren't and aren't supposed to be smooth. I view the equipment block on top of the enclave wings the bridge. When you look at Aegis Fate, it has two hulls around the MAC Cannon barrel. That's the double hull.

@spartan-jai, on Oct 3 2010, 08:24 AM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

I think it would be easy to do, but not with delphi's pieces. Panel chunks just aren't that smooth. Just because they aren't and aren't supposed to be smooth.

Plus, SketchUp's not really designed to be smooth. It's more of an engineering tool than it is a design tool like Illustrator or Photoshop.

I view the equipment block on top of the enclave wings the bridge.

I honestly never planned a bridge. 😛

When you look at Aegis Fate, it has two hulls around the MAC Cannon barrel. That's the double hull.

Hmm, I suppose I could try to add the "double hull". I think, though, something like that is usually called the housing. Correct me if I'm wrong--I assumed double hull to mean two separate hull sections joined together or something, like the gap in the frigate's front.

@king_of_manticores, on Oct 3 2010, 04:12 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

I think, though, something like that is usually called the housing. Correct me if I'm wrong--I assumed double hull to mean two separate hull sections joined together or something, like the gap in the frigate's front.

I agree. Something akin to EVO's UE Carrier, Freighter, and Coraxus' UE Battleship (extra ship added by FOTVE, IIRC). All three of those I see as qualifying for the moniker 'double hull'. I've never seen Halo's 'Aegis Fate' so I can't judge it either way.

Where are the part's you're kitbashing from?

@darthkev, on Oct 3 2010, 05:46 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

I agree. Something akin to EVO's UE Carrier, Freighter, and Coraxus' UE Battleship (extra ship added by FOTVE, IIRC). All three of those I see as qualifying for the moniker 'double hull'. I've never seen Halo's 'Aegis Fate' so I can't judge it either way.

Here's a picture of the 'Aegis Fate'.

@pyrophage, on Oct 3 2010, 06:36 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Where are the part's you're kitbashing from?

We're using Delphi's Ship Component pieces. You can find the link to them in his signature.

@king_of_manticores, on Oct 3 2010, 04:12 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Plus, SketchUp's not really designed to be smooth. It's more of an engineering tool than it is a design tool like Illustrator or Photoshop.

This isn't true; I use sketchup for designing and very, very rarely for engineering or finishing a project. Similarly, I don't use Illustrator or Photoshop to design anything (unless you count presentations of other designed products, I suppose I design the presentation in Illustrator), but clean up projects with them. Also, Sketchup is 100% capable of doing smooth objects, I've shown some examples, but you are correct that it is streching the engine somewhat to do them.

I really don't get everyone's fascination with smooth ships anyway, though. I think these ships with things sticking out and the innards exposed are more realistic and interesting.

@meaker-vi, on Oct 4 2010, 06:03 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

I really don't get everyone's fascination with smooth ships anyway, though. I think these ships with things sticking out and the innards exposed are more realistic and interesting.

Yeah me too, except for bubble cockpit windows. I really like those.

I also put together these two craft over the last couple of days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 04 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

The second one looks like a sturdy colony ship capable of defending itself. The first one looks like the second one turned warship. They both are dripping with epic-ness. If the ASW Forums had a 'thumbs-up' emoticon, you certainly would've earned it! ^_^

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 05 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

@darthkev, on Oct 5 2010, 04:02 AM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

The second one looks like a sturdy colony ship capable of defending itself. The first one looks like the second one turned warship. They both are dripping with epic-ness. If the ASW Forums had a 'thumbs-up' emoticon, you certainly would've earned it! ^_^

I would say something, but that sums it up. I agree 500%. However, I do like the first better than the second. Without the wing structures, it looks more like a station. And how/why do you have the borders?

@spartan-jai, on Oct 5 2010, 01:22 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

And how/why do you have the borders?

I would assume presentation. It makes it look prettier.

Yes, but how did he put them there? Photoshop? Sketchup? GIMP if it's possible?

@spartan-jai, on Oct 5 2010, 03:38 PM, said in Delphi Ship Creations:

Yes, but how did he put them there? Photoshop? Sketchup? GIMP if it's possible?

All three. There are several styles within Skechup which make use of watermarks as borders. Both Photoshop and GIMP would have no issue adding watermarks.

Cool. Just wondering.