Delphi Ship Creations

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Sep 2 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only reason I couldn't use the sketchup file is because when you exported the animation, all of the images were the exact same. If you rotated the camera for the correct angle, then you uploaded the wrong one.

There are 2 files. One for use with twilight, it's link takes you to a page that explains it. The other links straight to a download and is for use with sketchup only, and a pretty comprehensive explanation on how to use it can be found here. The compass-component is what makes or breaks the file, you must open the component (DO NOT EXPLODE IT!), and import your Sketchup file (while in component-edit mode on the compass-component) and align/scale it so that it fits inside the circle. If you just import you file, it won't rotate it, and you'll get 36 frames of the same thing.

The exact way the file works is by creating 36 copies of one component (using a component because changes to one component instance result in changes to all of them), rotating each of them 10 degrees, and putting each on it's own, individual layer. Then, 36 scenes are set up, with the camera, shadow, and styles set up the exact same in each scene. The only thing that changes, and the thing that makes the whole file work, is that the layer changes, which in turn rotates the component 10 degrees per frame.

The way the Twilight-file works is by having 36 scenes, each with a different camera angle. There is one component, however, it is set to "Face the Camera," and arranged such that it is in the correct position at all times. Centering a model on the origin of the file will produce 36 unique frames when rendered with Twilight renderer, and the render settings are set up properly. However, this setup does not take advantage of sketchup's shadows or styles, instead relying on the renderer's settings for greater accuracy, and thus this file will not produce adequate results when used with sketchup alone. If you're fine with no shadows, the clipping window being way off, and there being big cones in your model, use this file. Even if you turn on shadows, you'll notice by looking at the completed animation that they don't move relative to the model, i.e.: the shadows appear as if the light source were always on one side of the model.

That is why you should use the second file for sketchup export only (It's a straight download link, and I believe called "Sketchyrenderer"), and the first file for rendering with twilight only.

My computer has been locked, so I won't be able to do anything. This is the only post I'll be making for a while. Thanks forthe help. When I can, I'll redo the sketchyrender file again.

A retool of the Inexorable, deemed the Relentless. Almost nothing similar, I know. I'm probably going to need to upload some pictures of the Inexorable if no one has seen it in the Delphi thread.

Damn bruh, that thing is flex... That is one serious beasty I wouldn't bugger with.

What Sp3cies said, but add a " DAAAAMMMN!! " Think we'll get painted pics any time soon?

Thanks for the compliments. 🙂

I don't think I will be painting my projects, mainly because I've never been a really big fan of coloring, but also because I don't like the way SketchUp handles its color system.

So it's just going to go into the game as pure white? Or is someone going to render it? You? I do think a pure white ship would look awesome though... I guess it would need some detail, though. Why did you change the name?

I don't have any plans to export any of these ships into Nova as of now.

As for the name, this is a heavily modified but highly illegal variant of the Inexorable, and it's built by a totally different company. The plans for an earlier version of the Inexorable were jacked by this company, and as such the Relentless lacks a lot of important equipment that the Inexorable equips, such as the massive Thunderforge-ish cannons.

I'm contemplating on switching out the railguns for missile pods of sorts. Railguns are primarily long-range weapons, and since the Inexorable was designed to be more of a close-range strike cruiser, the Relentless wouldn't use the railguns to their best efficiency.

Missile Pods can be long range too. But, I understand the name difference now. I personally think you should put them in Nova. That would be awesome. I guess if the pods are for unguided missiles, then that would be close quarters.

I was also contemplating using tank cannon-like weapons and mortar batteries, but decided both were also too railgun-ish. I'll think about the front guns more, but I'm absolutely not getting rid of them. They're too important to the ship's structure to get rid of, otherwise it just doesn't have the signature Thunderforge (and Inexorable) look.

It's technical speak for "I like how they look, and I don't want to get rid of them." 😛

I'm a long way from posting SD ships in the HOTS Status Thread, but I really like how the final three SD warships turned out, so I'm posting them here:

In order, I present the Wolf Class Missile Frigate, the Advanced Tactical Slipcruiser, and the Komodo Class Carrier. You'll get full descriptions of each once I get that far in the HOTS topic.

Oh, and Delphi, please forgive me for using your Enclave Dorsal piece on the Komodo and the Enclave Ventral piece on the Wolf and Slipcruiser. I tried making something similar on my own, but I just couldn't compare. 😊

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 09 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

I'm liking those color schemes DarthKev. Saw your gallery yesterday, good to see you have everything colored. Looks excellent.

Heres 4 new ships from me...

I like the arcadeish feel to this latest style.

QUOTE (Sp3cies @ Sep 9 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the arcadeish feel to this latest style.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Especially when using that file for rendering them - sketchup is fair at making rendered images, but it really can do some awesome stuff when used creatively.

Are you using color by material, or just all lines the same color, with faces black and xray? If you're not using color by material, you should try it, I've found it can do some interesting things.

Sorry about the double post.

Sp3cies' post got me thinking, and so I whipped this up:

I used the "color by material" setting with black fronts & backs to cause this effect. I think that some interesting things could be done with it, if not simply coloring up the ships for some variety, then definitely for weapons and engine effects.

Now, something else I'm wondering is whether I can mask that sucker out so that it acts like a wireframe in-game. So...

If someone would be so kind as to whip out a quick ship with that and let me know how it looks/works/etc, that'd be awesome. Feel free to use it for whatever - the size is 512 x 384.

If it doesn't work, I've got a traditional mask here:

Not bad, actually. If the ship were to enter a system with a background color other than black (say a nebula) while using the wireframe mask, it would look kind of phantom-esque. Very nice. The standard mask makes it boring and weird because the faces are always black so it looks more like a black starship with neon along the outside.

Nice ships all around. However, I must say I prefer solid ships to ghost-like wireframe vessels. They're fun and all, but not quite my preference.

Wireframe can always be used for target images, similar to what Delphi is doing.

Sorry for not making anything new lately. I've been sick, and distracted by marathon. Speaking of which I've been playing with a Sketchup plugin to make maps for marathon.

Perhaps I'll get ambitious, make a ship, then stick a map inside it!

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Sep 10 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you using color by material, or just all lines the same color, with faces black and xray? If you're not using color by material, you should try it, I've found it can do some interesting things.

I have the "Hidden Line" and the "X-Ray" boxes selected to get this effect. Doesn't seem to matter what color I make the faces.
I am using color all the same at the moment but I have been playing around with the color by material for when I get my factions all hammered out, that was a good tip. Still playing with the styles that I want to put in game though so I'm not even sure these will end up in the final product. I'm not completely comfortable with what I have at the moment so I will just keep playing with such things till I feel like I have something that fits well with what I want to build. My story-line is still awful basic and ideas are in constant flux. For now I will be re-making Nova ships with the Delphi pieces and then building off from there.

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Sep 10 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used the "color by material" setting with black fronts & backs to cause this effect. I think that some interesting things could be done with it, if not simply coloring up the ships for some variety, then definitely for weapons and engine effects.

Now, something else I'm wondering is whether I can mask that sucker out so that it acts like a wireframe in-game. So...

If someone would be so kind as to whip out a quick ship with that and let me know how it looks/works/etc, that'd be awesome. Feel free to use it for whatever - the size is 512 x 384.

I think the mask lines need to be a little thicker cause a lot of the lines disappeared when I rlëDed the images and when I scaled down the images even more was lost.
If you want I can pop the file up here for you when I get back from work.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 11 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

I think these wireframe ships are awesome. Meaker, the only problem I see with yours, and it's an opinion, is the bright yellow. I think it takes away from the "phantom-esque"~Darthkev appearance of the entire ship.

QUOTE (Sp3cies @ Sep 11 2010, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the mask lines need to be a little thicker cause a lot of the lines disappeared when I rlëDed the images and when I scaled down the images even more was lost.

That's pretty likely, I don't know if I ghosted the lines or not on the mask. It'd be easy to do though, open it up in PS/GIMP, duplicate the layer, blur it pretty heavily, and then set it to multiply or screen.

Another few tricks for you to play with are using different line styles (you can go to the 'mix' tab and drag-and-drop them) - the ones from the scanline style (not sure what it's called) allow you to give your lines more options, activating hidden lines (curved surfaces with lines showing their curvature), and turning on shaders and painting your ship black on one side of each face and a color on the other, sketchup does some odd stuff with that one.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Sep 12 2010, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these wireframe ships are awesome. Meaker, the only problem I see with yours, and it's an opinion, is the bright yellow. I think it takes away from the "phantom-esque"~Darthkev appearance of the entire ship.

I liked the wire frame because it reminded me of the old vector-graphics games on the ATARI and other ancient systems. Bright, simple colors and that's it. I'm not sure that the ships need to be so complex though (read: using Delphi's parts) and have been experimenting with doing that.

Did this die? It's 16th on the list of topics! Or is Delphi finished?

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 26 September 2010 - 07:05 PM