A Halo TC may be in the works

@shlimazel, on Oct 27 2007, 03:58 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

I've only ever played the first game, but it really made an impression on me. I intend to buy an Xbox Elite mainly to play the halo games (not anywhere near ready to buy yet though <sigh>).

Have you ever read the graphic novel, or the art book? I intend to ask for the novels, graphic novel, and art book for christmas.

{edit}

Mac. You? And I would be grateful for help with descs, that would be a major step up.

Windows, but that shouldn't be a problem since the Windows version comes with a plug converter.

And I didn't even know there was a graphic novel or art book.

As for the descs, that's been one of my favorite parts of building EVN:UGF.

This post has been edited by StarSword : 27 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Ok. I'll let you know when I'll be getting around to that part.

Yeah, I didn't either. I just found out recently. Look them up on amazon, I think the art book is called 'the art of halo' and the other one is just 'the halo graphic novel', I think.

Descs are fun to write, but it takes a lot of time to do it right.

Okay. My next project will be the UNSC Frigate. I'm happy with my Longsword and Seraph, and development on the Frigate starts tomorrow.

Here's a link to the UNSC Frigate page on Halopedia.

On second thought, I'll tackle the UNSC Frigate next week. It's too complicated to do in one day. I'll work on some background instead.

Okay, here's something for everyone to consider; How to translate Halo ships in to EVN.

First, the Longsword. We know that it carries 110mm guns for dogfighting and 120mm aft (rear) guns. It can carry a variety of secondary weapons, for example

4 ASGM-10 Missiles

<which are heavy ordinance used by the UNSC. They are used mainly aboard small fightercraft such as the Longsword Interceptor. They yield a high explosive payload and can cause serious structural damage to unshielded targets>

1 Shiva-class Nuclear Warhead

<It is a ship-mounted thermonuclear missile, outfitted with varying pay load, missile thermonuclear warhead assumable to be anywhere from 20 to 80 Megatons yield depending on its type (most of missiles utilize UNSC standart 30-megatonn HAVOK thermonuclerar warhead). Used by UNSC capital ships, it can also be fitted on Longsword interceptors for a low-profile insertion. They can be fitted with guidance computers for increased accuracy. It should be noted that Covenant capital ship shields have enough power to absorb a full thermonuclear blast far away but not directly. If the warhead detonates inside the shield, the effect of the blast is multiplied tremendously.>

32 Moray Space Mines

<They are dropped from the bays of Longsword Interceptors to mine locations within space from incursion. They use both proximity and remote detonators and have very high explosive payloads.>

or an unknown number of Scorpion Missiles.

<Scorpion type missiles are a type of explosive ordinance used by the UNSC. These missiles are mounted on SkyHawk jets and Longsword fighters. They are equipped with motion tracking systems and proximity detonators. They are extremely fast and they rarely miss. Their guidance systems quickly lock on to a target and they are designed with the power to destroy 4 tanks at a time(this last is not known for canon certain).>

Okay, so we know that. We know the following about the interior.

<The inside of the ship presents a small corridor leading to the rear, a stair, and a higher corridor to the cockpit. In the two corridors, there are several equipment lockers, along with two auxiliary crew stations. The cockpit consists of two pilot chairs and two more auxiliary crew stations. With an assumed total crew complement of six, along with the equipment lockers, possible cryo-chamber compatibility, and possible Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine compatibility, the ship presents itself as less of a fighter-bomber and more of a gunship or dedicated bomber, much like the B-17 Flying Fortress of World War II.>

So it is probably capable of interstellar flight (or at least I'm going to assume that they are 😉 ). Maybe it could be slower than a larger ship would be when leaving a system in order to represent its less powerful Slipspace Drives?

And the above is significant because it means that the ship is much bigger than a lot of EVN fighters. This is held up by the following.

<If one were to construct a life size, 1:1 scale longsword, its wingspan would be 5 meters longer than a Boeing 747 and would be 6 meters shorter lengthwise.>

I take these facts to mean that it has to have pretty powerful engines in order to do any 'dogfighting' in space. This may mean it has a pretty decent speed. Opinions?

But what do we know about how tough it is? We know it is challenged by Covenant Seraph class Starfighters, and Seraphs are apparently very tough ships even without shields. We don't actually know how durable its armor is. Thoughts, anyone?

So, basically we need to figure out how fast, maneuverable, and tough it is. Feel free to post remarks about any of the above, though.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 28 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

@shlimazel, on Oct 27 2007, 10:48 AM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Well, I'm just working on the ships now. I haven't actually started developing. And anyway, do you like Halo? Well if so, if this is finished then you'll probably play it and enjoy it anyway.

You seem to again be confusing "making a TC" with "rendering spaceships".

So we'll see how this goes.

You seem to again be confusing "making a TC" with "rendering spaceships".

Fine. Exactly what should I be doing, then? I'm gonna do it how I'm doing it, unless you or someone else can post a compelling reason not too. I'm enjoying myself working on my stuff, whether I'm rendering ships or not. I'm making a start on the coding today, since I'm done with the two ships I wanted done and I don't think I can get a whole UNSC frigate done in one day.

I'd appreciate it if you made remarks about the actual stuff that is being discussed here. I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say about that.

@shlimazel, on Oct 28 2007, 02:12 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

First, the Longsword. We know that it carries 110mm guns for dogfighting and 120mm ventral (rear) guns. ...

Not to quibble, but 'ventral' actually refers to the bottom of the vessel. Unless you're talking about belly-mounted, rear-facing guns, the word you're looking for is 'aft'.

And for the record, I don't understand what lobf is talking about either. Attached File twak.gif (1.61K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by StarSword : 28 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

Ohh, right. Thanks. I'll edit that.

What is your opinion of all of that stuff about the Longsword?

He's talking about my last project, which unfortunately has bottomed up.

And yes, that smiley expresses my feelings towards lobf pretty accurately.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 28 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

It sounds about right to me, but there's one thing I don't get. If the Longsword is, as you say, about the size of a 747, how big is the mother ship? I remember that the cutscene at the end of the second mission in Halo II , they had a UNSC warship hitchhike on a Covie cruiser's Slipspace jump. The UNSC ship looked about the size of a golf ball next to an Amtrak locomotive. Was that the effect of a ****ing big Covie ship? (The Master Chief's Pelican looked to be about the same size relative to the UNSC ship.)

I'm just trying to get an understanding of scale here. I mean, the largest ship in EVN:UGF is 7.8 kilometers long; if the Covie ship was as big as it looked, it'd make the Aegis -class command ship look like a toothpick.

Oh, and if you're interested, I can e-mail you the complete set of smileys I picked up off Warboards.org. (It's a board for players of Blizzard games like StarCraft.)

This post has been edited by StarSword : 28 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Wait just a sec, I'll dig up the size.

3840.64 feet long

1155.73 feet wide

1359.69 feet tall

There. Big, as they say.

Also, if you have just come to this page check near the bottom of the last page to see my post about the Longsword.

The Truth and Reconciliation was 1782.2 meters long, which is about 5,847 feet long. What was the name of the ship you mentioned? And I thought you said that you'd never played the games.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 28 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

@shlimazel, on Oct 28 2007, 02:53 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Wait just a sec, I'll dig up the size.

3840.64 feet long

1155.73 feet wide

1359.69 feet tall

There. Big, as they say.

Also, if you have just come to this page check near the bottom of the last page to see my post about the Longsword.

That the Longsword or the Covie cruiser?

That's the sizes of the Pillar of Autumn. I assumed that was what you meant by 'mothership'.

The Longsword , now, is 210 feet long and 245 feet wide.

@shlimazel, on Oct 28 2007, 03:01 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

That's the sizes of the Pillar of Autumn. I assumed that was what you meant by 'mothership'.

The Longsword , now, is 210 feet long and 245 feet wide.

That's a rarity: a ship wider than it is long. Huh.

Shlimazel said:

The Truth and Reconciliation was 1782.2 meters long, which is about 5,847 feet long. What was the name of the ship you mentioned? And I thought you said that you'd never played the games.

I didn't say I'd never played them. I said I don't own them. I've played Halo II to partway through the third level at a friend's house.

The name of the ship I mentioned was Ascendant Justice. She was pirated by Cortana, the Chief, and a number of Marines in the aftermath of Halo's destruction, later mated with a damaged UNSC cruiser ( that made for an interesting flight), then was separated and used in a suicide mission against a Covenant space station. The Chief and about a dozen of the surviving Spartans, along with Cortana, used the UNSC cruiser to get back to Earth with the information that the Covies had located the Sol System. (That's the plot of First Strike in a nutshell.)

This post has been edited by StarSword : 28 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Especially uncommon for a HUMAN ship. It is based on a manta ray, though.

Well, in EVN, things aren't really to scale. The viper is what, 6 meters long, and is an eighth the screen length of the auroran carrier. The carrier is 1.2 kilometers long.
The scorpian missiles sound to me sort of like hellfire missiles. You can look them up on wikipedia or something. The guns sound like fast firing rail guns. The mines seem like the space bombs from evc. The nuclear missile seems like a small space ICBM. I think that it would have fairly heavy armor. Armor on ships in my experiance increases exponentialy relative to size. For instance, the Starbridge is not much bigger than the Lightning, or much slower, but it has over 100 more shield and armor points. It sounds like a sort of gunboat. Something that carries a lot of firepower, on order of near that of a destroyer, but is faster than a capital ship, and so can dodge it's return fire. Like starcraft, where the wraith was designed to deal a large amount of damage and be able to dodge return fire. Am I rambling?

No, that makes sense to me. A gunboat rather than a fighter would be reasonable since the Longsword is so much bigger than most fighters are portrayed as being in sci-fi.

Oh goody. I made a random contribution. Which bit do I set?

@0101181920, on Oct 28 2007, 03:12 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Oh goody. I made a random contribution. Which bit do I set?

Huh?Attached File poke.gif (1.35K)
Number of downloads: 2

Require/contribute bits. Every once in a while I have to prove how much of a geek I am.