A Halo TC may be in the works

I'm going to note that they can't really stop you. And it's not illegal to do this, from what I understand. If you were selling this, yes, plagerism. But it's non-profit, so as long as you give credit, then you'll be just fine.

Actually, if they have an "All Rights Reserved" copyright license, they can prosecute for even fan fiction. However, even with said license, many do not pursue writers of fanfiction and what not, as it isn't worth the time, effort, and money to sue some 12 year old who wrote a paragraph long story about <insert universe of choice here>, and in fact often helps generate income. In this case Micrsoft isn't using an "All Rights Reserved" license, as they are extending some rights, as indicated above. So Shli's TC appears to be legal as indicated by what's written above.

This is more or less what I figured. I can't imagine ElMicrofto coming on ASW web boards and going,
"Oh, I'm just so sorry, but unfortunatly I'm afraid that you can't do this. And did I mention we're suing? Sorry for the inconvenience because of course we just want to be your frrrrieeeennddd....."

Go away, scary microsoft!

When I get my Xbox 360, I'm going to put an apple sticker on it. Fight the man!

But anyway. Sit tight till the weekend people. That's when I'll start on the Seraph.

But we’ll confirm right here that the music from Halo 3 is available for your use in non-profit ventures thanks to an arrangement with O’Donnell/Salvatori, Inc., composers of this iconic theme.

Oh goodie. That was the song I wanted to use for AG's theme.

See? Halo is beneficial to the EVDC community!

@mumbling-psycho, on Oct 24 2007, 10:05 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

No, you can have the game count it. Crons, iterative entries\exits, some creativeness and some strange, yet smart system. Yeah.

Yeah, you can count. It's not always pretty, but it's doable.

Finally I got on here! The site wasn't loading.

Hmm, no updates. Not till tomorrow.

Ok, work has finally begun on the Covenant Seraph Class Starfighter. Below is a link to the renders of the very first version. Scroll up to see the most recent Longsword renders.

Link to the preliminary render of the Seraph.

More pictures of the next version of the Seraph are up. More to come.

Again, more versions are up. Unless my discerning audience can detect some significant flaws, I'm going to move on to the texturing.

I've got to say. I'm not too psyched... I've seen so many Halo TC's tried to get developed, they just disappear and nothing happens.

This post has been edited by mWalk : 27 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well, I'm just working on the ships now. I haven't actually started developing. And anyway, do you like Halo? Well if so, if this is finished then you'll probably play it and enjoy it anyway.

@shlimazel, on Oct 22 2007, 05:32 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Oh, and here's something. AI's would be available to the UNSC pilots, most likely only the cruiser captains though. In Halopedia it says that the Covenant do have AI technology, but they can't built it themselves. Since that's true, I'd make AI's a UNSC only thing to give the humans some kind of edge. Also I think it would be cool to use my level up scheme for the cruiser characters, but make it so that it happens less often and it is basically a crew upgrade which occurs at certain levels. For example, at Fair Ability your crew might be upgraded to Skilled, making your ship somewhat tougher.

I've got a canon example of a Covie AI. There was a point in the novel Halo: First Strike where Cortana got into a sort of computerized guerrilla war with the AI of the Covenant carrier Ascendant Justice. (For those of you who haven't read these novels, The Fall of Reach narrated the training of the Master Chief and the other Spartans, then their careers up to the start of Halo: Combat Evolved ; The Flood is a novelization, pure and simple, of the first Halo game; and First Strike starts up immediately after the destruction of Halo.)

This post has been edited by StarSword : 27 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Very interesting StarSword, thanks! I guess that means AI for the Covenant. <sigh> Oh, well.

Ok, the first textured version of the Seraph is up! Check it out!

@shlimazel, on Oct 27 2007, 03:02 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Very interesting StarSword, thanks! I guess that means AI for the Covenant. <sigh> Oh, well.

Don't get too down, Shlimazel; I forgot to mention that the Covenant AI was much less advanced than Cortana. One of the things the UN knows about the Covenant is that they're imitative , rather than innovative like the humans. The shields on the Spartans' Mjolnir VI power armor are based on reverse-engineered Covie personal shields, and are in fact better than their Covie counterparts. As for the AI, it overplayed its hand not long into First Strike , and Cortana turned it into digital mush. (After getting a dump of its source code, that is. She even learned a few new tricks from it.) To make a long story short, it wasn't so much a deadly threat to Cortana as a dangerous annoyance.

Basically, the only reason the Covenant has such a devastating edge over humanity is that they've been around longer.

I would emphatically recommend you read the novels. In addition to the trilogy I mentioned in my earlier post, there's also a new one called Ghosts of Onyx. (I haven't read that one, though.)

This post has been edited by StarSword : 27 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Interesting. A space-based TC would be a different take on the whole series than the ground-based FPS style of the actual game.

Mmm, okay. So weak AI's. That sounds MUCH better, thanks! I really need to get the novels.

Also, I looked up the other Halo TC topics. The only thing that impressed me was mWalk's loading screen; I wonder if he'd be willing modify it and let me use it? It's awesome.

(edit)

Yeah, it would be cool to play out a space based Halo TC. I'm especially looking forward to writing the Elite's split from the Covenant.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 27 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

I've just added a pic of the Seraph's shield glow. It's pretty awesome, it's near the bottom of the first page.

@shlimazel, on Oct 27 2007, 03:38 PM, said in A Halo TC may be in the works:

Mmm, okay. So weak AI's. That sounds MUCH better, thanks! I really need to get the novels.

I would recommend them not just to Halo fans (I don't even have the games), but to anyone who likes good sci-fi writing. They're really good novels all by themselves.

I'd be willing to help with resource descs and the like. Are you working on Mac or Windows?

This post has been edited by StarSword : 27 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

I've only ever played the first game, but it really made an impression on me. I intend to buy an Xbox Elite mainly to play the halo games (not anywhere near ready to buy yet though <sigh>).

Have you ever read the graphic novel, or the art book? I intend to ask for the novels, graphic novel, and art book for christmas.

{edit}

Mac. You? And I would be grateful for help with descs, that would be a major step up.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 27 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

Alright, I have a request. If anyone has any advice for the galaxy map, I'd like to hear it. I have an idea as to what to do for it but if there is a canon map available anwhere I'd be happy. Not that I expect to hear that there is one, but it would be handy if one exists.