a non-space TC in nova.

plenty were attempted in EVO... none have been attempted so far..

How hard would it really be to make a shooter game where you run around on streets in a city in ruins? Or a fantasy style background?
Planets could be buildings "You do not have permission to enter."
Weapons could be translated as equipment (9mm pistol, Glock, Shotgun) or magical artifacts...
fuel could be Mana, with items like Fire wand, water wand, Owl Familiar (a bay that holds one owl) Ring of Regeneration (shieldre enhancer) Ring of Immortality (escape pod)

Shipyards could be done away with completely, since you'd remain one character... along with hyperspace. (give everyone an insanely high hyperspace dist mod that makes it impossible, and make hypergates a subway system or magical gates...
You could allow birds to enter hyperspace, and let them untargetable, it would add atmosphere.

Does anyone else think it would be a cool idea?

I could probably throw together a Demo in like 20 mins (no missions) I could use a short break from 3000.

The biggest problem would be how to display a meaningful background (ground). Nova represents space using black with white dots. I honestly don't know if it could efficiently (or at all) support more detailed backgrounds.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 19 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

@lindley, on Dec 19 2007, 11:36 AM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

The biggest problem would be how to display a meaningful background (ground). Nova represents space using black with white dots. I honestly don't know if it could efficiently (or at all) support more detailed backgrounds.

well it would probably have to be done with a solid background (green or brown) with spobs either ridiculously large for a pattern of grassy gnolls, or smaller with building sprites...

once you figured out a system, it probably wouldn't be that hard. no harder than a regular TC, in any case.

I had a working implementation of this. I got by using a desert and a few isolated things. I had a cave, a deserted and bombed out city and a ship that the player found and escaped with. I reserved one roid for birds and used a special sidebar. Engine flares and multiple base sets were used for leg motions. It was not all that hard to do, but like the rest of my TC it will never see the light of day.

Why Not? I would certainly be interedted in playing it, and if you released what you have, I would definitly download it. even if thats all there is.

The only problem I see is that wouldn't a person be able to walk over the 'buildings'?

@ev-wolf, on Dec 19 2007, 09:25 PM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

The only problem I see is that wouldn't a person be able to walk over the 'buildings'?

Not if you made them deadly spöbs!

OK that's a terrible idea.

:laugh: Sadly enough I had that same idea...

Give the player a hangglider?

That might actually work, if you could explain how the player stops. What about a jetpack? 😛

EDIT: Actually, what if you made the player inertialess, and made his 'engine glow' a shadow? That would be pretty cool...looks like he's taking off and landing. He can land on building tops, but if he stays near the deadly river for too long, he drowns.

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 20 December 2007 - 12:11 AM

It was intended to be in an old, Final Fantasy 1 style. I didn't really care about wether or not the player could walk over the cities or the legs flickered or if it really looked good at all. It was only to further service the plot, which had the player unexpectedly abandoned on a planets' surface.

or you could just make everything where you couldn't be on foot. the basic mode of transportation was a hoverboard or skateboard or ice skates or something... and you could move to cars and jets later...

Actually, there is a great use for shipyard.

Just rename it Armorer.

That way, your armor choices will be visible. Just keep mass the same for all ships (though i suppose it would make sense for plate wearers to be able to carry less), and set all outfits to persistent with purchased ships.

I just wish Pirates hadn't disappeared.

Sid Meier's Pirates! still exists... I was playing it not three days ago.

@archon, on Dec 19 2007, 04:07 PM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

Not if you made them deadly spöbs!

OK that's a terrible idea.

Wanna know how much of a geek I am?

I laughed very hard when I read that.

None of my friends in RL would get it.

Is that sad?

I will die alone.

Random extra line.

Because I feel like it.

Hooray for making fun of my posting style.

@ue_research---development, on Dec 19 2007, 11:09 PM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

<KA-SNIP> He can land on building tops, but if he stays near the deadly river for too long, he drowns.

One word: lawl.

@rmx256, on Dec 20 2007, 06:07 AM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

<KA-SNIP> It was only to further service the plot, which had the player unexpectedly abandoned on a planets' surface.

That's actually very awesome-sounding.

I want.

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 24 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

I just noticed your statement that ‘none have been attempted so far’; this isn’t quite accurate. While no one has released a non-space plug-in for EV Nova , back in 2002 Mantaray got a fair way along working on a plug-in called Caribbean , set in the 18th century with sailing ships. Sadly, it was never finished, and even the posted screenshots seem now to be gone.

@david-arthur, on Dec 24 2007, 05:28 PM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

While no one has released a non-space plug-in for EV Nova , back in 2002 Mantaray got a fair way along working on a plug-in called Caribbean , set in the 18th century with sailing ships.

That, too, sounds very neat. I want it too.

Oh, the wonderful things the EV engines can do.

Matt Burch is genius. Not a genius -- he is the definition of genius.

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 24 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

@david-arthur, on Dec 24 2007, 06:28 PM, said in a non-space TC in nova.:

I just noticed your statement that ‘none have been attempted so far’; this isn’t quite accurate. While no one has released a non-space plug-in for EV Nova , back in 2002 Mantaray got a fair way along working on a plug-in called Caribbean , set in the 18th century with sailing ships. Sadly, it was never finished, and even the posted screenshots seem now to be gone.

sigh.

Oh! To to see again that animation of a rotating ship sprite, with wind in her sails! To gaze once more upon that gorgeous spob/island!

(There have been other non-space TC attempts, too. ArcAngelCounterstrike, I think, did a proof-of-concept animation of an in-game airplane flying around and dropping bombs that had shadows. Over on the EV-Nova.net forums, someone (Tomcat?) attempted an "Aircraft of WWII" TC, and someone else -- believe it or not, oh relative n00bs -- tried valiantly to adapt Lord of the Rings to EVN. And if people dig long enough in the archives of these very forums, they may find that I myself once presented a little QuickTime movie of my own non-space-based efforts....)