ARPIA2 finally finished!

What's your status?

My original post wasn't what I'd intended. It was rude and inflammatory, and I'm thoroughly ashamed of it. Here's what I should have said:

"After two years of dithering, the ATMOS part of the graphics for ARPIA2 was completed so Peter could release it.

How has everyone else been going with their TCs or plugs? Can I help in any fashion?

Best wishes to all here,

Dave"

This post has been edited by pipeline : 02 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Man, doesn't time fly!

@pipeline, on Dec 27 2006, 12:49 AM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

If Pace can do medium-TC sized plug in one year (with one year wasted waiting for me) that introduces a fair number of new ship sprites, outfits, etc. plus more missions than you can poke a stick at, where the heck are the rest of you? πŸ™‚

Now that it's been released, it's been demonstrated that it can be done. Hell, ATMOS did Nova (which was an Override TC) in 4 years. It'll be 5 since the release of Nova in only 3 short months.

As for me, I'm off to do some animating.

Dave

I think most aim too high.

I'm currently waiting for some extra memory which hopefully will speed up my high poly modeling and texturing a LOT. Which will contribute to one of the projects which are not yet finished.

While I wait I am doing low poly stuff.

Good luck with your animation. If you can/want to share afterwards, I'd love to see it. πŸ™‚

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 26 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

This indeed proves that TC sized projects can be done, and can be done very well. It is a very good thing to see.

I'd be working on my little TC, but a certain other TC came out, I have since been reabsorbed.
I will finish my TC, its mostly just creating a small new universe (a whopping 21 systems so far) with about four govts, including the pirate organization. I can't say that it will be a great story, but I will atleast be able to say that I made a TC. πŸ˜„
Just talking about it makes me want to work on it, but I shuld be going to bed being that it is 1:11 in the morning. :rolleyes:

(Edit): Oh, and at this point, I only have one story line planned. Its more than likely going to be a short-ish one at that. Keeping expectations low, yessiree, keepin' 'em low. Oh, I am going to be using Nova's graphics, and possibly using some slightly modifyed ships from Polycon (if I get permission, I have asked once, and got the OK, but that was for a single sprite. I'm going to ask about the others before I assume that I got permission to use them as well).

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 27 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

@pipeline, on Dec 26 2006, 06:49 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

Okay, you lot,

If Pace can do medium-TC sized plug in one year (with one year wasted waiting for me) that introduces a fair number of new ship sprites, outfits, etc. plus more missions than you can poke a stick at, where the heck are the rest of you? πŸ™‚

Now that it's been released, it's been demonstrated that it can be done. Hell, ATMOS did Nova (which was an Override TC) in 4 years. It'll be 5 since the release of Nova in only 3 short months.

As for me, I'm off to do some animating.

Dave

@modesty-blaise, on Dec 26 2006, 07:23 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

I'm currently waiting for some extra memory which hopefully will speed up my high poly modeling and texturing a LOT. Which will contribute to one of the projects which are not yet finished.

While I wait I am doing low poly stuff.

Good luck with your animation. If you can/want to share afterwards, I'd love to see it. πŸ™‚

Does this mean you two will be volunteering for more graphics work? πŸ™‚ (I mean seriously...I think that can become a huge hang up with tcs)

me blushes, especially at the title

Dave & Jonas, you guys rock. It couldn't have been half the plug it is without your graphics (after all, the delay made me add far more than originally planned πŸ˜‰ )

Aftermath and Sephil Saga need to update their logs more often. And here's me saying it.

CTC is coming along, it'll be done when its done. πŸ˜› I'd rate it no higher than 25% complete unless I do fighters only, at which point about 50%. Besides, I released a teaser which is in itself a TC. :laugh:

Though I need to work more often on it than I do. Maybe I'll make that my New Year's Resolution.

@pipeline, on Dec 26 2006, 10:58 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

Aftermath and Sephil Saga need to update their logs more often. And here's me saying it.

I'll be sure to let Nick Anderson know, and Masamume know.

@modesty-blaise, on Dec 26 2006, 05:23 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

I say it's better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit. Sure, nothing good comes out of saying you're going to make the coolest TC ever and not being able to do it because you lack the resources, but if you make the crummiest TC ever where you blow up pirates and that's it you aren't going to the get the gloating rights of making a good TC or the satisfaction of seeing people play and love your game, because it's not a very good TC. You aimed low and hit, remember?

@jacabyte, on Dec 27 2006, 12:04 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

I say it's better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit. Sure, nothing good comes out of saying you're going to make the coolest TC ever and not being able to do it because you lack the resources, but if you make the crummiest TC ever where you blow up pirates and that's it you aren't going to the get the gloating rights of making a good TC or the satisfaction of seeing people play and love your game, because it's not a very good TC. You aimed low and hit, remember?

I disagree, people can aim low and still make something extremely good. When in doubt, refer to Martin Turner's smallest possible TC. (Though I still don't know what the cron is for. :p)

@jacabyte, on Dec 27 2006, 12:04 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

<Snip>

OK, when I said that I was going to aim low, I do intend more than that. Alot will be fighting, but there will be a plot, and purpose.

Congrats, you aggrivated me. To work out my frustrations, I shall go work on said TC. πŸ˜›

Erm I aimed very low at first. After all, Β“Arpia" was, in the beginning, a cheat plug πŸ˜„

And today I even have all the necessary material to make a TC out of it, should I wish to do so! (and I have often thought that, once the Arpia novels are done, a TC of them would be soooo much better than ARPIA2 but no ARPIA3, I think ;))

Aiming too high means that you (more often that not) never get closer to your aim. Building up? Now, there's a sure way to climb up to ever greater heights πŸ˜‰

I accuse real life and in no way 'aiming high' or any related concept.

I accuse an insufficient number of artists. Writing has become a non-issue for me.

@guest_zed_-, on Dec 27 2006, 07:39 AM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

Does this mean you two will be volunteering for more graphics work? πŸ™‚ (I mean seriously...I think that can become a huge hang up with tcs)

If I volunteered for more work, I think my head would explode.

I think I am set for the next year at least. Maybe the next four years. πŸ˜›

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 27 December 2006 - 10:35 PM

What project will that be?

πŸ˜› One of the big cryptic ones πŸ˜‰

I keep getting distracted from my projects. I work for a while and then I think of something else I'd like to do, but it has to be in a new plug. My current project is difficult TC called Ashen Galaxy. It includes time travel (well sorta), multiple alien races, and leading the remnants of the human race away from the ruins of their empire. I keep saying that I won't tell anyone about it until I've done more, but it is really hard to keep quiet.