ARPIA2 finally finished!

@rmx256, on Dec 31 2006, 06:50 AM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

On top of that I've got a considerable real life to deal with- how many members of ATMOS, Pipeline, had mortgages, car payments, wives and kids in thier four year development of Nova?

Most of us, actually.

Didn't most of ATMOS know each other in real life though? It's a lot easier to get people to try to meet deadlines if you can confront them face to face ;).

It does help, yes. And in other ways it really sucks.

I'm glad the first thing I did, the very first session of work I did on CTC, I made it playable. This way, if worse comes to worse, I can release it without it being finished, and it still will be playable and at least have full funcitonality for some of the parts. And then perhaps someone else can pick it up.

Though I'm extremely tempted to do it as three seperate parts, one for each section, just to get stuff out there sooner. The only real differences between all-as-one and all-in-three would be no mixing of different ship types in systems as well as having to switch plugs to switch 'modes'. The only problem would be people finishing it before the next part was even ready for beta.

As far as playability goes, when making EVN Firefly, I simply made sure I was only replacing one Nova Data file at a time. The rest just sat there, same as always, so the thing never stopped being playable in the technical sense. It was just a bit schizo for a while.

Also, some of us aren't that great. I am working on a little mod I call an expansion, but I can't work nonstop. And i'm still trying to understand everything. No offense pipeline, you're great and all, but some of us just don't have the expertise to get it done quickly.

No offense pipeline, you're great and all, but some of us just don't have the expertise to get it done quickly.

Or even if we have the expertise, somewhere along the line it gets to be a real drag doing the same thing over and over again with a few modifications or slight changes, or dispite the fine example that ATMOS has thrown at us we just can't compete. And although I can't say this for anyone else, this whole topic here has done more to make me feel crappy and dismal about the chances for finishing my tc than just about anything else in the last four years with the possible exception of the whole dev team fiasco- this gauntlet that has been thrown down feels as if it was raked across my face first.

Even if along those lines I could delet all those empty systs and placeholder missions and release something playable now, as it has been said- its' just not a motivation for me like that. I want a finished product, not a chance to fly around and land on the planets that I've already written, battle the ships that I spent all that time making and coding and playing the missions that I created. After the time spent making that content among the last things I want to do is spend more time playing it. I have a clear 'artistic' (if you will) goal in mind and gauntlet or no I'll stop working on it if I can't put it out the way that I see it being when all is done before I release something that I consider substandard.

And I mean absolutely no disrespect to ARPIA 2 or Pace or Pipeline or other affiliated parties. This is a frustrating and touchy topic for me.

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 02 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

(scratches head)

The gauntlet reference was intended to be far more lighthearted than it came across, I think. I'll change the topic title.

I was so relieved at getting the thing done that I wondered where everyone else had got to. This was intended to be a catching-up-with-people-I-hadn't-heard-from-for-a-while topic. It came across as an I'm-better-than-all-of-you-nyah-nyah topic, which wasn't what I had in mind at all.

I'm so thrilled than any of you found my work intriguing enough to want to make your own solutions to what Nova could or should have been. If I helped make any of you feel that there was an opportunity to do great work, then that's fantastic, and I hope I can support your endeavours in any way I can.

I apologise for the confusion and bitterness I've caused.

If any of you want to contact me for any reason, my email address is in the sidebar. I welcome any enquiries and will do my best to answer any questions or requests you may have.

@pipeline, on Dec 26 2006, 11:49 PM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

How has everyone else been going with their TCs or plugs?

**Working through the earliest of early stage development.

_bomb

I threw out about 95% of my writing recently, and am completely reworking certain aspects of my universe. I'm also constantly looking for graphics people.

@ue_research---development, on Jan 11 2007, 12:59 AM, said in ARPIA2 finally finished!:

I threw out about 95% of my writing recently, and am completely reworking certain aspects of my universe. I'm also constantly looking for graphics people.

95% of your writing? If I ever did that, I'd just give up.

I'm currently managing something like 1-2 mission descs per week. And this is on the efficient part of the cycle. It's been a slow period for everyone involved, apparently---I'm the only one who's contributed anything meaningful to the website in a few months. I'm sure things will come together again once I get past the current story climax.....but that may take a bit of time at this rate.