Neko Love (Lock please)

Lock this topic please!

Poll: Quick Feedback (14 member(s) have cast votes)
Do you like the idea?
Yea
(7 votes [50.00%])
Percentage of vote: 50.00%
eh...
(7 votes [50.00%])
Percentage of vote: 50.00%
No
(0 votes [0.00%])
Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Hello to all who decided to stop by and take a look. This is my first serious plug-in. I have a bit of experience under my spike belt... I need a bit of feed back on this plug-in, so please help me out.

Download here or get the attachment on the post (down for unknown reason... cant upload). Be sure to check this post whenever I post on this topic, as usually I will update this post with a new version of the plug-in... Current version: 0.2.1 b3

A bit of history behind the word neko. Neko translates into English from Japanese as cat. Basically, Its going to be adding a new major storyline to the game (maybe), minor modifications to the game (definitely), and a love interest (a neko guy or girl, you choose)...

Oh yea, and if I decide to go forward with it... dont really expect constant updates... Im in highschool and I have a very short attention span :laugh:

NOTE: clears throat Mainly, I wanted to put something besides humans in the game... this plug-in is NOT in any way, shape, or form associated with bestiality. Neko girl/guy lovers are merely people who like to see girls/guys dressed partially as cats. Im just clearing that up, oh and nothing in the plug-in will intentionally be above the PG-13 level as I know there are a lot of under 18 players...

This is an example of a neko girl ^_^

Posted Image

This post has been edited by DarkDragon951 : 21 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

If you want people on the PC to be able to use your plugin, I suggest you learn how to perform the .zip compression correctly, and not simply use the lazy built-in-to-OSX way out.

Incidentally, I voted "Eh..." but I think "Uh... riiight" better conveys what I'm thinking of this plugin.

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 06 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

@belthazar, on Sep 6 2006, 07:18 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

If you want people on the PC to be able to use your plugin, I suggest you learn how to perform the .zip compression correctly, and not simply use the lazy built-in-to-OSX way out.

Incidentally, I voted "Eh..." but I think "Uh... riiight" better conveys what I'm thinking of this plugin.

Hey Hey! Constructive feedback please! I want to know how to improve it... later releases will have better compression, quit being an ass. I admit it, Im lazy.

This post has been edited by DarkDragon951 : 06 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

@belthazar, on Sep 7 2006, 12:18 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

That was a bit harsh. Try telling him how to do it, rather than bitching at him for doing something he may not even know is wrong.

Belthazar can't give constructive feedback until you archive it properly. So cure your laziness, get Plugin Archiver! 🙂

Though I am kinda leaning towards his last statement - this isn't the kind of content I would expect to find in a Nova plugin. A love story about cat people in space? A (mini)TC perhaps, but still...

This post has been edited by Guy : 19 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Well, I can't say the idea is bad. But as Guy said, I'm wondering a bit how you'll fit cat people in the nova universe without making it a mini TC or something. They'll look kind of out of their world just being added in the stock scenario 😮

As for the attachment, if it doesn't work properly on windows, then I can't tell, since I'm running that very OS.

Good luck with your idea notheless!

PS.: Don't let what other peoples think be the major thing deciding what you will do, or you will just end up doing like everyone. Personnally, I wouldn't weight the yes or no with what people actually say in this topic but rather with careful thinking about things such as you having the time to do it, if you really wanna do it and if you believe you're going to get through to the end of it, no matter how long it takes before you have results.

Theres ways he can work in cat-people into Nova. Result of an experiment (intentional or otherwise), result of some weird radiation, genetic manipulation, came from space not yet reached by the denizens of the Novaverse, they were always there and just never mentioned in the Nova strings, etc. Or he can say, "I really should stop questioning why and say, "Its just a game so I should shut up now."

I haven't looked at the plug (and may or may not, depending on my free time), but if its well written I might play it, given I'm not a fan of romances. Though I would advise to keep in mind not everyone who plays Nova is 18+ if you planned on that sort of content. I think a majority, or big minority, are below 18. Though please don't take any offense to that, I know some people do when someone mentions such subjects in relation to their love stories.

My main advice is take into consideration what people say, but don't let them make the decision for you. It may be safe to assume that a good sized chunck of the Nova players will at the least have no interest in a neko love story, so keep in mind you may be catering to a small audience. And if someone simply says your plug sucks but doesn't say why it sucks, ignore them. If they can't tell you whats bad about it and what needs improvement, then they are as helpful as a rock.

This plug-in is odd
but that is not bad, so you
should try to finish.

Or they could just be love doll androids like Ana-puma and Uni-puma from Dominion's Tank police hehe.

DarkDragon, any idea is good. So go with it, create your plug, and then , ask for feedback.
Some people will like a "neko love story", others will not. It's always the case.
Take my plug-in Arpia1 for example: many loved it because it adds a major storyline, some didn't look beyond the fact there were no new graphics, others found the storyline badly written, and the remaining crowd didn't try it out because they weren't interested.

So here's my advice: go on, make it. But try to plan better how you start the storyline: looking at your plug-in so far, I'd be disgusted by the beginning: "What is your gender?"

The "G" operator can be used within cröns and mďsns, , it doesn't limit itself to dëscs. Therefore, you could use a mďsn that does the following:

AvailBits: G
OnAccept or OnSuccess: Bxxx

This means "offer mission if male".
Then you create a duplicate mission, but change the availbit to "!G", which will mean "offer mission if female".

You can also avoid using up mďsn slots by using cröns:

StartOn: G
OnEnd: Bxxx

StartOn: !G
OnEnd: Byyy

There are a thousand ways you can tell the engine "if it's a man, do this"/"if it's a woman, do that". But try to make it nicer, smoother, more natural.
For example, how many people have come up to you and asked: "Are you a man or a woman?"
Instead, use "G". It works, trust me.

So if you try to put the storyline before all else, I'd be interested to see what comes of it. But try to make it natural, like RealLife™. Put yourself in your character's skin: does this seem realistic? How would I react? ?
And then you'll be on the way to making a good storyline.

Best regards,

Peter @ ARPIA

Okay, a few constructive comments.
First you need a story. I don't know if you already have one planned or not but you've given no indication as such. Your only missions are to determine genders and set bits - what is the point of this? G or !G can be used anywhere as a test expression, you don't need a separate bit to indicate gender. But even if you do, for whatever reason, you can easily use a cron to correctly set the bit depending on gender rather than leaving open the possibility of screwing it up by deliberately making the wrong choice. Also, I think it's wisest to stick with only hetero relationships (it will save considerable development time).
Finally, keep your descs reasonably formal (avoid the use of smilies and try not to break the fourth wall) and always spell (and grammer - effects and affects are different words) check you descs.

(edit) Pace beat me to the G stuff.

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 September 2006 - 02:39 AM

@darkdragon951, on Sep 7 2006, 10:47 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Hey Hey! Constructive feedback please!

Ok, let's see... um... you've left off all the apostrophes in your readme. And the version number should have a zero on the front (as in 0.2) so that people don't miss the leading decimal point, and simply see v2. As Guy pointed out, I can say nothing about the plugin itself, as I can't open it.

@pp0u20e8, on Sep 7 2006, 10:58 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

That was a bit harsh.

Pots and kettles, pp0.

Try telling him how to do it, rather than bitching at him for doing something he may not even know is wrong.

Can't. I'm not so firm on the whole nuts-and-bolts of the Mac side of doing compressions, save that I know there are so many inventive ways to do it incorrectly, but only two ways to do it correctly. Mind you, I really should make a note of where Guy's magical plugin archiver program is.

@guy, on Sep 7 2006, 04:12 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

and always spell (and grammer) check you descs.

Was that misspelling of "grammar" deliberate? 😛

@belthazar, on Sep 7 2006, 07:19 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Mind you, I really should make a note of where Guy's magical plugin archiver program is.

In a magical place which only mac users can see 😛

@belthazar, on Sep 7 2006, 07:19 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Was that misspelling of "grammar" deliberate? 😛

Of course 😉

If people don't like your plugin, thats fine because it will be added to your plugin portfolio and it will be good practice. If they do like your plugin, than thats a plus. Most of the plugins on the plug-in page are plugins that people thought no one would want (besideds the cheat plugs, but those basically do the same thing). Just go for it.

You've got a plug idea that it truly different -- keep going!

To be honest, though, when I saw the topic line I thought I'd find that someone was implementing this for Nova:

Posted Image

...which would rock as a sprite. 😄

Neko (AKA Oneko) is a venerable X11 (Unix/Linux) toy that makes a cat chase your cursor. It's been ported to everything else -- why not Nova?

Figuring out how to integrate any of the "special event" animations would make it even greater:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yet again I am struck by how unfortunate it is that Nova uses the same animation frames both for entering hyperspace and for parking in orbit.

More info here and here, for those who aren't already familiar with this critter.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 07 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

@dr--trowel, on Sep 7 2006, 09:21 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

<snip>

It would be cool as a sprite, Dr. Trowel. Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I'd personally suggest working on a seperate mission string for your plug rather than trying to intergrate them into the existing ones. It'd be alot less descs to write, and you can use the bits set in the char resource to restrict them to that string and that string only.

I'd also suggest giving the spouse more personality and a bigger role than being mentioned occasionally. You can use the nickname field to determine the name of that character as well.

Thank you all for the comments... I am a very simple person, who happens to like cat girls (from anime), dont expect too much... The idea was meant to add nekos into the game... Im bored with humans... the game needs a bit more race variety... The reason for the, what is your gender mission was to set certain bits that I had used in the unreleased version... which i really messed up

PS. Mainly to Belthazar... I re-archived it... with the plugin archiver

@mumbling-psycho, on Sep 6 2006, 09:51 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

As for the attachment, if it doesn't work properly on windows, then I can't tell, since I'm running that very OS.

Uhhh... Ill look into it...

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 6 2006, 11:45 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Though I would advise to keep in mind not everyone who plays Nova is 18+ if you planned on that sort of content. I think a majority, or big minority, are below 18. Though please don't take any offense to that, I know some people do when someone mentions such subjects in relation to their love stories.

No offense taken, I had never intended to put any adult content in, I may not be bright but Im smarter than that 😛 (oh, and Im not 18+ either)

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 7 2006, 01:33 PM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

I'd also suggest giving the spouse more personality and a bigger role than being mentioned occasionally. You can use the nickname field to determine the name of that character as well.

Ok... remember, this is in VERY early development stages... and a diced up version, I really messed up...

This post has been edited by DarkDragon951 : 07 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

@dr--trowel, on Sep 7 2006, 11:21 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Your' crazy! 😄

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Sep 7 2006, 11:31 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

I'm definetly pondering that! I wonder if EVNEW can hanle animated images...

This post has been edited by darth_vader : 07 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

@dr--trowel, on Sep 8 2006, 02:21 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

Neko (AKA Oneko) is a venerable X11 (Unix/Linux) toy that makes a cat chase your cursor. It's been ported to everything else -- why not Nova?

Heh, I used to have that on my mac. My Dad once made a hypercard virtual tour of the new Australian Parliament House, and the cat would turn up every now and then if you clicked in the right places. 🙂

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Sep 8 2006, 02:31 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

I think so, gsn - but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

@darkdragon951, on Sep 8 2006, 09:38 AM, said in Neko Love (Lock please):

PS. Mainly to Belthazar... I re-archived it... with the plugin archiver

Much better. 🙂 I can open it now, but I don't have time to look at it at present. Just one thing though, the plural of "neko" should theoretically be "neko-tachi". "Nekos" just looks odd, while "neko's" is bad puctuation.