Wally World Plug!

The newest sensation to hit space trading... low prices. Always!

Okay, for you people out there waiting for a EV:N TC, here is the idea that'll raise the biggest franchise in trading to a stellar level! That's right, taking equal parts EV:N and Wal-Mart, and seeing what happens.

To begin, I should introduce myself, since I just created an account maybe five minutes ago, and I'm therefore an unidentified face in the plugin world. My name (at least, as you shall know it) is Mitschu Games, pronounced Mit-chew Gah-mez. Remember that. Not that it is important, but remember that. As for my career, I actually work at Wal-Mart, so I consider myself fairly steeped in the great culture that is... well, actually, shoot wrong store, let me start over again. I work at Wal-Mart, so I know Wally World. I know the layout of the buildings, the departments, the goods we sell, the positions one can have, and pretty much everything needed to make a game about it. I know how the silly corporate gossip trees out, I know how allegiances are formed, I know how kings are overthrown - wait, again, wrong scenario, I apologize. But I do know how to overthrow kings.

Now that you know me and my background (even if 'me' is an assumed name, and my background is saturated with misleading information), lets get cracking, eh?

Wally World: The EV:N TC is an immersive modification to the engine provided by Ambrosia, allowing in-depth gameplay and scintillating plots. It allows - wait, did I really just say that? My, my mind is on the wrong topic today. Wally World (hereandafter WW for short, doubledouble yew for long) is actually a complete revamping of the way you play overhead shooting games. Trading in your ship for different bodies / vehicles (ranging from the beloved "Janitor with a Cleaning Trolly" to "Manager on a Forklift"), trading in outfits for... well, okay, outfits, but not like you expect (unless you expect "Working Hands", "Fighting Hands", "Tazer", and "Intercom System" to be outfits,) even swapping out the beloved Planets with various Checkpoints (where you can buy and trade between store departments, ask for a promotion, bribe lackeys to do your dirty work, or just listen to the intercom for recent developments on that wet spill in Aisle 9.)

Changing out resources such as the generic "Food", "Equipment", "Luxury Goods", etc. with "Empty Pallets," "Cleaning Supplies," and the coveted "15 Minute Break," as well as adding more junks like "MP3 Players" - purchasable in the Electronics Department - "Winter Clothing" - available in the Softlines Department - or even the rare, hard to find "Stickers" - which, as a point of interest, can be found in either the GM Entrance or the Grocery Entrance, depending on your mood.

Find unexpected trade routes, such as selling those MP3 Players to the bored people over in Infants, or those Winter Clothing to the sad saps working in the Meat Freezer, or heck, selling those Stickers in the Checkout Lane to those greedy impulse buyers. Go on a mysterious quest to find the Hardlines, which logically must exist since there is a Softlines (i.e, clothing) Department.

If trade isn't your thing, try your hand at what most people are doing instead of playing videogames. Er, ahem, I mean, why not try working? Find unexpected things that you get to keep by working the floating pallets found around the univereeeeeer, Wal-Mart. And by working, I mean pound the crap out of them with your primaries.

Of course, working pallets requires you to have your, ahem, "Working Hands" on. Sort of like wax on, wax off. And if you want to work pallets, you gotta be on the lookout for Thieves, who only nominally want to steal from the pallets, and more likely than not will steal from the sad sap working the pallets. But if you choose the path of Security, you can get better and better weapons to use against the odder robbers, and steal the goods that they already stole! (And as momma used to say, if you stole something that was stolen, you ain't stealin'.)

Oh, and missions! Well, you can go on various quests to prove your Respect for the Individual™, Service to Customers™, and Strive for Excellence™, while winning young hearts over and amassing millions. Actualy, reality check, you just float along, making odd money in less than legal ways, getting laughed at on dates because you actually admitted that "I work at Wal-Mart.", and the only promotions you get are the ones you pay cold cash for.

**---

Technical Stuff:
I intend to use the same principle behind the Asteroid Miner's firing / not-firing transition states to create a fighting mode where, if your weapon is a hand-weapon (not to be confused with a hand-gun) it cycles through an animation of your character's fists swinging, while a laser beam exactly 1px long with a 100% decay ratio determines how many scores on the enemy you get.

Oh yeah, no spaceships, as I mentioned.

Inertialess, of course, because having inertia would be just plain silly. Unless you are on the maintenance crew, and just laid down some wax, and are wearing nothing but silk socks. Okay, fine, I'll include a "Waxed Socks" outfit, happy? Just so you can Monty Python a guy with your fists-a-flying.

Instead of ships, you will get "promotions", which are essentially ships with pay-per-day. As an example of the logic tree ---

Worker on a Pallet Jack @ 100c/day -> Maintenance Crew on a Cleaning Cart @ 150c/day -> Security on Foot @ 250c/day -> Risk Control on a Scissorlift @ 300c/day -> Backroom Supervisor on a Walker Stacker @ 400c/day -> Management on a Forklift @ 500c/day

More will be added / removed at my leisure.

Outfits will vary, and some will make you stronger, others have various affects. For example, the Martial Training converts your Fighting Hands into Calloused Hands (+1 armor damage) the first time you buy it, converts your Calloused Hands into Meat Hooks (+2 armor damage) the second time, and converts Meat Hooks into Martial Hands (+2 shield damage, +3 armor damage) the final time you buy it, at respective prices of 2500c, 10000c, and 25000c. These upgrades are permanent (carry over), and essentially leave you with slightly more formidible primary weapons no matter what level of promotion you are.

There are also other weapons that can be used as primaries, although ranged weapons are always secondary. These are more along the lines of techniques, such as the "Phantom Strike" (another c/o) which is a 20% chance of hitting for an addition +2 armor damage, or the weapon (not technique) "Palmed Tazer" (not c/o) which gives you a 5% chance of ionizing (aka stunning) a target when you hit him with your primaries.

Shields and armor should be reread as "Mental" and "Physical", respectively. Certain weapons will be designed to fire through both (ala the Ignores Shields flag with two type submunies) such as regular combat (what fun is pounding a guy if it doesn't hurt his brain, and as a result, he doesn't take damage?) Meanwhile, most Mental weapons have a nasty Physical damage rating, if they can only break through the mental plating of the enemy. For example, the Intercom System slowly chews away at the target's mind, until he snaps, at which point... er, nasty things happen. While defeating an opponent mentally is often less exciting than physically, and will take longer, it is also the safer method.

**---

Author Notes:

Okay, this us, for the people who have been laconically reading it and chuckling at the appropriate moments (like, when I think I'm being funny and you find that hilarious.) this is a serious plug idea.

Yeah, sure, a Wally World plug won't work out seriously, there'll be a lot of random jokes thrown into the desc and misn data, but overall, the plug is a test of my abilites without overtly being challenging. Designing rudimentary people in a random program (methinks Anim8or) to make the graphics, maybe tweaking a few 3d models, the basics. And then the misns (I'm thinking, a traitor who leads you to a spy who leads you to a woman who you g{"fall in love with", "become best friends with"} before being betrayed and lead to the Roman King Niich, who kills your g{"girlfriend", "bestest friend ever!!!"} and gloats over the fall of Wally.)

Whoo, lost myself.

I'll wrap this up, it is getting long. All in favor of ANY EV:N TC, even if it is set in the (shudder) Wal-Mart World? Say aye. All opposed? Bah, go shop at Ross or something, traitor.

Always, Mitschu

---- My unofficial signature, since I haven't made one yet. ---

"Man is the Animal that Blushes. He is the only one that does it or has occasion to." Mark Twain

@mitschu-games, on Jul 19 2006, 10:13 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Okay, for you people out there waiting for a EV:N TC, here is the idea that'll raise the biggest franchise in trading to a stellar level! That's right, taking equal parts EV:N and Wal-Mart, and seeing what happens.

No takers, no one interested? I've had three hits, that's three potential responses! Come on, one response would make my day! (Plus I'd be able to go to bed knowing I started something in motion.)

As for that, I've already got the (hem hem) map laid out, as in, I know the store left-to-right and can easily convert the store layout into a group of systems. I'm even thinking of using a nebu resource to create a background image for the map, that essentially acts as filler... for example, sure, (j)ogging into the Meat Freezer System is pretty tell tell for what it does, but wouldn't you like a square to appear showing how much of the store you've explored, which regions are which regions, etc?

Again, this'll be a TC, so nothing Nova will remain alive. Just a bunch of men / women running around punching people, working freight of of pallets, and trying to stay alive in a cold (colder if you are in the... I'll just leave that be...) economy.

Wow... It looks like you put alot of time into the idea. This sounds like something that would be pretty fun/funny to play. I myself don't shop at Wal-Mart, heck the last time I was at a Wal-Mart I saw some 30 year old girls having a lightsaber fight with swimming noodles and a Darth Vader mask :huh: . Do you have a team to work on this plug with you? Or are you looking for a team? The idea sounds a lot more different than your average plug and would be interesting to see what the end result is. Good Luck!

This post has been edited by ibob : 19 July 2006 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like an awesome idea, except I havent been to walkmart in 3 years and before then never. Mitschu Games, you should try making the plug or parts of it. The easiest part is probably writing all teh desc resources. Unless of course you dont know how to use EVNEW or woot ware. But that brings up another dilema, are u mac or windows?

He mentioned Anim8or which is a Windows program, so I'm going on a limb to say windows...

That sounds like it could be something very special. Definitely original, if nothing else.

It's a very fascinating and original concept -- I would play it if it was out, as most people likely would. There aren't any TCs out, except silly Teacup TC and Polycon, and the masses are starving. And if it was done really well, which sounds like it may be possible, you'd have a long-term audience.

-Bob

Aye! 😄

This sounds like it would be right up my aisle, er, right up my alley.

When I first read the title, I thought it was referring to the Wally World from that old movie National Lampoon Vacation, something or other.

Wow, goes to show, a person falls asleep and wakes up, and boom. Bunch of people want their pilots shopping at Wal-Mart.

Do you have a team to work on this plug with you? Or are you looking for a team? The idea sounds a lot more different than your average plug and would be interesting to see what the end result is. Good Luck!

Thanks! As for a team, I don't have one, actually, although I could definately use one. See, that Anim80r thing was... er... a bluff. I can't model in 3d worth a sheet. (Actually, I might be able to model a sheet.) I've used certain programs like Terragen™ and consider myself pretty good with them (mainly because I like sitting down and struggling away at foreign looking planets.)

And as for that, Wal-Mart doesn't have need for landing scenes, so... (considers grabbing camera and running amuck at his store.) yeah, Terragen is out for this project.

So I'll be needing to take pictures of (probably) co-workers and my store that pop up when you hit a Checkpoint, instead of landing pics. But okay, thats still only a vague amount of the work involved.

As for 3d modelling, the only thing I could do would involve drawing tiny people from the overhead perspective, so if anyone wants to model a couple of Wal-Mart Artifacts of Power™ like the Scissorlift, that'd be delightful.

Dibs on plot. Actually, like I said before, what plot? Heh heh. The game will have a very loose plot, if it does have one. A bunch of missions, some of which are related. Maybe even an endgame trick that takes... oh, I just had an idea. (zips lips) Lets just say, intriguing inside joke just formed.

Anyone else working at Wal-Mart capable of double checking my facts? Sure, I know all the Departments, but I only know my own store's layout, so if there is a layout that would work better (for example, Infants and Electronics, as you remember from my prior post on MP3 Players, are only 3 (j)ogs away from each other. Anyone got a layout of them further apart?)

Alright, enough on this one. =P I can't model, people, so if you want on the team, show me you can model a Pallet Jack / Cleaning Cart / Scissorlift / Walker Stacker / Forklift / etc. Graphics don't have to be great, just nice. Also, if you can actually think of a plot that fits within this ragtag world, you can become a member as well. Just stay out of my half of the fridge. Heck, if you just want to move into my house and wake me up every morning at 8:00am (did I mention I work nights?) screaming "Get to work on that damn plug!", I guess that'd qualify you as a member of the team.

The easiest part is probably writing all teh desc resources. Unless of course you dont know how to use EVNEW or woot ware. But that brings up another dilema, are u mac or windows?

Did you really say teh? Eh, okay. =D As for me, people are correct in assuming I am a proud Windows user. In fact, when partitioning my hard drive, I had to enter my own name under 'Slave' to get the darn thing to start working. So I use EVNEW for all my modding needs. And how are descs easy? I normally create all the items I'll be using in the game (ships, outfits, etcs.) and write down the associated desc number it assigns it. Then later, I go back and write all the descs when I'm feeling particularly ridiculous. Is there an easier way?

As for the rest of you guys, please keep up the happy comments, feel free to email, let me know if you are visiting Wal-Mart so I can slip you my 10% discount card (oh, now THAT would be an interesting 'outfit' to implement.)

Good night, everyone!

(40 minutes later, marches into work and whistles innocently when boss pulls up this page.)

Um it's uh creative. Yeah. Creative. And original.

Being a forklift driver on third shift at Sams' club, and therefore knowing too much about ol' wal-mart (capitalization left out intentionally), I would never ever let my recreational experience be shattered by having wal-mart be a part of it. Bad enough listening to thier self-congradulatory crap in meetings.
Not to dis your ideas, though, just bitter about having to work for the wal-mart giant.

Forklift Driver? Thats pretty bad fanny :D. For descs couldn't you use like the decriptions from the wal-mart store online? Like xBox 360: The Xbox 360 is the future of entertainment. With the most stunning games, powerful technology, and intelligent services, Xbox 360 puts you at the center of your entertainment experience. Or the iPod: With room for all your favorite music and videos, this iPod delivers both sound and vision. Of course, it also boasts a long-lasting battery, generous 30 GB capacity and the famous Apple ease of use. Bright screen shows movies in rich color and sharp detail.

@mitschu-games, on Jul 19 2006, 03:22 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Did you really say teh? Eh, okay. =D As for me, people are correct in assuming I am a proud Windows user. In fact, when partitioning my hard drive, I had to enter my own name under 'Slave' to get the darn thing to start working. So I use EVNEW for all my modding needs. And how are descs easy? I normally create all the items I'll be using in the game (ships, outfits, etcs.) and write down the associated desc number it assigns it. Then later, I go back and write all the descs when I'm feeling particularly ridiculous. Is there an easier way?

Hey...it's not my fault i type to fast to caaaaaare. 😛 My easy way is writing the descs as the idea comes....usually after i create the outfit/ship/spob/ etc. I usualyl have alot of fun with it too.

I'm curious as to what weapons will you be using in your game? Becuase a space game has to have weapons...to satisfy the players weird killing desires. Hey! maybe you could put a pers resource of the wal-mart CEO...or boss. :laugh:

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 19 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

How about different chär resources... So like you could be the shopper or the worker...

I was rolling on the floor by your fifth paragraph. Go for it!

@mitschu-games, on Jul 19 2006, 07:13 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Instead of ships, you will get "promotions", which are essentially ships with pay-per-day.

Did you mean "rank"? That's exactly what the ränk resource is for.

Outfits will vary, and some will make you stronger, others have various affects.

It isn't possible to make an outfit that adds damage to a weapon. However, it would be fairly simple to set up a series of outfits that replaces your primary weapon with a stronger version.

...such as the "Phantom Strike" (another c/o) which is a 20% chance of hitting for an addition +2 armor damage, or the weapon (not technique) "Palmed Tazer" (not c/o) which gives you a 5% chance of ionizing (aka stunning) a target when you hit him with your primaries.

Once again, you can't add bonuses to weapons. However, you might be able to simulate this to some degree by adding additional primary weapons with very high inaccuracy, so that has about an 80% or 95% chance of missing the target.

Shields and armor should be reread as "Mental" and "Physical", respectively.

Easy enough- one of the STR# resources allows you you change most of the strings used in the game, including those for "shields" and "armor".

(ala the Ignores Shields flag with two type submunies)

Sorry, this one is nowhere near as easy as you make it seem. Any given weapon can only spawn a single other weapon type as a submunition. However, if you have the first weapon explode at a distance and do blast damage to shields, and have it submunition into a weapon that does shield-piercing blast damage to armor, it should work most of the time (sometimes it will explode too close to the target, and the armor damage will fail). You should probably read through my Complete Guide to Submunitions at some point.

@mitschu-games, on Jul 19 2006, 07:41 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

No takers, no one interested? I've had three hits, that's three potential responses! Come on, one response would make my day! (Plus I'd be able to go to bed knowing I started something in motion.)

This is a webboard, not a chat room. Be prepared to wait hours, or even (gasp) days for responses to questions. At any rate, I, personally, love the idea. I hope to see the final result some day, and I'll be glad to help with any technical questions you have.

Edwards

@mitschu-games, on Jul 19 2006, 09:13 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

(snip)
I'll wrap this up, it is getting long. All in favor of ANY EV:N TC, even if it is set in the (shudder) Wal-Mart World? Say aye. All opposed? Bah, go shop at Ross or something, traitor.
(/snip)

I'm curious as to why you are telling people to shop at... me... Although I do find your statement fairly ironic since I work at Target.

As said many times, this does indeed sound awesome :). We could do with a comedy plug.

@edwards, on Jul 20 2006, 03:41 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Sorry, this one is nowhere near as easy as you make it seem. Any given weapon can only spawn a single other weapon type as a submunition. However, if you have the first weapon explode at a distance and do blast damage to shields, and have it submunition into a weapon that does shield-piercing blast damage to armor, it should work most of the time (sometimes it will explode too close to the target, and the armor damage will fail). You should probably read through my Complete Guide to Submunitions at some point.

Or if it's primary just make it two independent weapons.

Wow, lot to quote here... okay, working my way through the list. =D

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jul 19 2006, 06:59 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Um it's uh creative. Yeah. Creative. And original.

Thank ya!

@rmx256, on Jul 19 2006, 09:29 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Being a forklift driver on third shift at Sams' club, and therefore knowing too much about ol' wal-mart (capitalization left out intentionally), I would never ever let my recreational experience be shattered by having wal-mart be a part of it. Bad enough listening to thier self-congradulatory crap in meetings.
Not to dis your ideas, though, just bitter about having to work for the wal-mart giant.

Whoa, rmx256, I think I know you from somewhere. The name is familiar, did ya make a tutorial or somethin'? And hey, just so you know, I know what you mean, and I was actually thinking of making the Wal-Mart Cheer part of the opening sequence... instead of all that "In a galaxy far far away, some girl named Kane made a bunch of things to do in a place called space..." that you go through in the beginning, just jump right in with the "Give me a W! Give me an A! Give me an L! Give me a squiggly! Give me an M! Give me an A! Give me an R! Give me a T! Whats that spell? Wal-mart! Louder! WAL-MART! Whose Wal-Mart? My Wal-Mart! Who's number one? The customer! What store is number one? Somewhere, some number, the place you wanna be! Boom boom, gotta go!" (My store's version.) Yes, they say "Boom boom, gotta go!" Go figure. Welcome to Wal-Mart, where your average IQ is lower than the freezing point of mercury.

@ibob, on Jul 19 2006, 09:44 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Forklift Driver? Thats pretty bad fanny :D. For descs couldn't you use like the decriptions from the wal-mart store online? Like xBox 360: The Xbox 360 is the future of entertainment. With the most stunning games, powerful technology, and intelligent services, Xbox 360 puts you at the center of your entertainment experience. Or the iPod: With room for all your favorite music and videos, this iPod delivers both sound and vision. Of course, it also boasts a long-lasting battery, generous 30 GB capacity and the famous Apple ease of use. Bright screen shows movies in rich color and sharp detail.

Well, I'm already going to be divulging company secrets (like a Code 15 is a Fifteen Minute Break, and a Code 60 is a 60 Minute Lunch (how is that possibly a secret? I mean, my boss gets on the intercom and says, essentially, "Attention, GM, Dry Grocery, Frozen, Dairy; Code 60 at this time. If you would like to take a 30 minute lunch, however, please do so." or "Attention all associates, Code 15 at this time. Please be finished with your break by 12:15am, as we have been getting reports of people taking 20 minute breaks.") so I don't think copyright infringement is a good idea. Well, the idea is a good idea, but the legal ramifications might slow down development. (Jails are notorious for poor internet connectivity. I mean, 56ks? Hello, cruel and unusual , anyone?)

@chronodrago, on Jul 19 2006, 09:45 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

Hey...it's not my fault i type to fast to caaaaaare. 😛 My easy way is writing the descs as the idea comes....usually after i create the outfit/ship/spob/ etc. I usualyl have alot of fun with it too.

I'm curious as to what weapons will you be using in your game? Becuase a space game has to have weapons...to satisfy the players weird killing desires. Hey! maybe you could put a pers resource of the wal-mart CEO...or boss. :laugh:

I thought I mentioned the weapons... primaries will be variants of fist techniques (see my later response to changing weapon damages) while secondaries will be various armaments, ranging from the evergreen ammo-free tazer, to the bullet-guzzling Automatic Machine Guns. Guns will, of course, be balanced for fairness, and by fairness, I mean cost. I'm not making low level pistols do the same damage as high level punches, grah. Guns are guns, and most enemies can't take more than three bullets before exploding - I mean, dying and leaving a corpse... nah, exploding. XD Of course, depending on what 'ship' you fly, the armor may be high enough to absorb bullets. I happen to know from experience that a Walker Stacker can take about fourteen bullets before exploding and killing everyone within a 100' radius. Actually, my experience can be chalked up to fantasies I have whenever the Stacker doesn't have enough battery charge and so dies while I'm in the middle of elevating a pallet of treadmills.

@ibob, on Jul 19 2006, 10:45 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

How about different chär resources... So like you could be the shopper or the worker...

But you see, that'd be two different games there. Who would want to be the shopper? Bah, just walk to the nearest Wal-Mart, go through the aisles grabbing anything that suits your fantasy, and then go through the checkout. And if you are particularly feisty, just drop it on the counter and walk out without buying anything.

@edwards, on Jul 19 2006, 11:41 PM, said in Wally World Plug!:

I was rolling on the floor by your fifth paragraph. Go for it!

Did you mean "rank"? That's exactly what the ränk resource is for.

It isn't possible to make an outfit that adds damage to a weapon. However, it would be fairly simple to set up a series of outfits that replaces your primary weapon with a stronger version.

Once again, you can't add bonuses to weapons. However, you might be able to simulate this to some degree by adding additional primary weapons with very high inaccuracy, so that has about an 80% or 95% chance of missing the target.

Easy enough- one of the STR# resources allows you you change most of the strings used in the game, including those for "shields" and "armor".

This is a webboard, not a chat room. Be prepared to wait hours, or even (gasp) days for responses to questions. At any rate, I, personally, love the idea. I hope to see the final result some day, and I'll be glad to help with any technical questions you have.

Edwards

You win an award for longest response to date. You get a free air bubble, to be used by yourself at will, anywhere there is access to air. (Therefore, your air bubble is not guaranteed to deploy while you are holding your nose, swimming, drowning, at high altitudes, in outer space, choking, or otherwise unable to breathe normally.) This bubble measures an astonishing .25mm by .25mm and is guaranteed to last up to six seconds from you checking this post. Some variations may occur, product is not submissible to any warranty, written or implied, and is allowed a small window of opportunity at which you may return it, free of charge (with small fee attached) to me for a full refund (less s/h). This return window expires six seconds before bubble's expiration date. Please consult a doctor before using this product. Some side affects include boredom, lackluster, frank amusement, wasting time, and in severe cases (unproven to be unrelated to product) death. For more information on your free (minor charge applicable to all locations within Earth that do not feature a Klingon past-participle phrase in their desc resource) bubble (including our address, where to leave the money, and the toxicity of bubbles past expiration date) send a self-addressed, postage paid postcard to the address mentioned above, along with $1,000,000,000 credits to be deposited in Mitschu's EV:N account via online gaming transfer. (Please see our ad for less details.)

Wow, I just wasted about ten minutes of my life so I could waste maybe five seconds of someone else's. Presuming that everyone who reads this board has five seconds wasted, it'll take 200 readers to make my time back.

Now that that is out of the way, glad the fifth paragraph amused you so. Hopefully that last paragraph will add to your mirth, otherwise, please consult someone else for lawsuit purposes.

As for weapons, I promised earlier to explain those better, so here we go! You already know that fists are primaries, so adding a new technique (such as Phantom Strike, above) with only a 20% hit chance is as easy as making it another primary weapon that fires at the same time and has the same recharge rate. As for weapons like the tazer, again, another primary. Just create a new weapon outfit that deals no damage and has a high ionization affect, and assign it to the primary. I already mentioned in detail my plans for upgrading your 'base' (aka unarmed) weapons by using a series of bits to allow you to buy three different versions of the same upgrade, which toggles which outfit you have (ergo, how much damage you do) while also using that bit to hide the prior / further version(s) of the upgrade. Each upgrade will have a basic desc telling you what level it is / will be, with the 'max' upgrade being unbuyable (by setting the allowed field to 0?) and the desc being just a general pat on the back for being so strong.

To wit:

At level 0 (no buys) you have 'Fighting Hands' and the 'Martial Training' version one outfits available. Buying the 'Martial Training' 1 removes your 'Fighting Hands' (if you are 'wearing them') and replaces it with 'Calloused Hands'.
At level 1 (first upgrade), the 'Martial Training' 1 and 'Fighting Hands' are removed from the outfitter. The new outfit 'Martial Training' 2, distinguishable by its desc and graphic, can be bought at a higher price to remove the 'Calloused Hands' and give you 'Meat Hooks'.
At level 2 (second upgrade), the 'Martial Training' 2 and 'Calloused Hands' are removed from the outfitter. The new outfit 'Martial Training' 3 (see above) can be bought to finally remove the 'Meat Hooks' and give you 'Martial Hands'.
At level 3 (final upgrade), the 'Martial Training' 3 outfit is removed from the outfitter. The 'Martial Training' 4 outfit (which is unbuyable because I'd hate to see a giant 1 next to the training icon, just serves now as a placeholder) sits there to have its desc tell you how amazing you are.

Some things are left out for brevity (ha!) like the ranks you get, which would be, naturally, 'are untrained' at level 1, 'are pretty strong' at level 2, and 'are a lethal weapon' at level 3. Imagine seeing that, eh? "You are a Maintenance Crew member, have access to guns, are in line for a promotion, and are a lethal weapon."

Also, I'm torn. Originally, the plan was to have ships come with the promotion, so that only Managers could ride forklifts, and only Maintenance could pilot Cleaning Carts. However, just changing ranks would make for a more... goal oriented, shall we say?... work environment. Also, what would I do for people on vehicles? Where does the unarmed go? I say, make it have a 'ramming' animation. Heh, heh. I just had a flash-forward to the future of little kids affected by my game... "I use my Pallet Jack equipped with a Dust Mop to attack your Walker Stacker. I'm using 'Phantom Strike' and 'Palmed Tazer', so that deals an additional 3-5 points of damage. Your manager is dead, and I take over his Forklift and position. I win!" Wait, never mind the future generation, this sounds like fun! I'm SO going to try and run my boss over tomorrow at work. Its win / win, either I disable him and rob him, or I get defeated, get fired, and go home to work on the game! Win win!

About the submoonishuns (I can't spell that word worth a damn.), why not just have one outfit, which when bought gives you two weapons that both deal different amounts of damage and have different to hit odds? Like when you buy the 'Martial Hands' outfit, you actually get 'a martial left fist' which deals 2 Mental damage 3 Armor Damage 50% of the time, and you get the matching outfit, 'a martial right fist' which deals 3 Mental damage 2 Armor damage 50% of the time?

I forgot the rest, I'm afraid, if I missed anything, repost it with the query so I know what you meant? Thanks!

@ross, on Jul 20 2006, 01:24 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

I'm curious as to why you are telling people to shop at... me... Although I do find your statement fairly ironic since I work at Target.

Er, Ross is a store for discount goods, sort of like Wal-Mart's competitor. Bigger stores, better brands, lower prices. Also less reputation. =D

Heh, Target. Heh.

@guy, on Jul 20 2006, 03:29 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

As said many times, this does indeed sound awesome :). We could do with a comedy plug.

Or if it's primary just make it two independent weapons.

Comedy plug? At what point did I give you the idea this was a comedy plug? Have I said ONE humorous thing this entire session? 😛 Geez, I just want to give people the legitimate excitement that comes with working the 10-7 shift at Wal-Mart.

Thanks for the compliment, though. =D

And isn't that what I just said? =D

@mitschu-games, on Jul 20 2006, 08:23 AM, said in Wally World Plug!:

But you see, that'd be two different games there. Who would want to be the shopper? Bah, just walk to the nearest Wal-Mart, go through the aisles grabbing anything that suits your fantasy, and then go through the checkout. And if you are particularly feisty, just drop it on the counter and walk out without buying anything.

But perhaps you could get missions to buy an iPod for the lowest price. Or race to the frozen foods section.

I would love to be able to dominate the lounge or what ever you guys have. Or maybe even the meat proccessing sections could be forbidden... This sounds soo cool.