spob graphics

size?

Hey guys,
I was wondering what the size should be for a normal spob graphic. I have soem grahpics that i have imported and everytime i visit that system, the game crashes. <_< Also the grahpics are of a space station and they are 240 x 240 pixels, and i hae the button set as this stellar is a space station. Is that the problem?
Also sometime when the game doesnt crash, the stellar is invisible..but you can still land on it. :huh:
Anyone know why?

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 07 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

I had this, or a similar problem a while back. Make sure that the spob's graphics number is connected to the right spin ID. Then make sure that the spin has a one before it.

In my case I had the graphic field set to 255 and my spin ID was also 255 when it should have been 1255.

Your problem may be different, though. I hope this helps.

i think you nailed it, ill post u later when i find any other problems.

Most of Nova's planets are in the 100x100 pixel range, so a 240x240 spob will look huge (the largest Auroran stations are 315x200). You may also be interested in what sprite sizes lead to what radar sizes:
4-pixel box: 0x0 - 89x89 pixels.
Small circle: 90x90 - 199x199 pixels.
Large circle: 200x200+ pixels.

Edwards

I like big spobs.

Attached File(s)

Alrighty, my spin ID is 1070, the sprite ID is 2258 and the mask ID is 20998. The x and y size are 280 pixels and the e and y tiles are 1. sooooo, anything wrong with that spin?

@rmx256, on Jul 8 2006, 11:16 AM, said in spob graphics:

I like big spobs.

So do I.

Posted Image

I have some spöbs (stars, a Dyson sphere) that are about 500x500.

This post has been edited by UncleTwitchy : 08 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

And your stations are much cuter than mine!

@chronodrago, on Jul 8 2006, 04:49 PM, said in spob graphics:

Alrighty, my spin ID is 1070, the sprite ID is 2258 and the mask ID is 20998. The x and y size are 280 pixels and the e and y tiles are 1. sooooo, anything wrong with that spin?

From what you say, no, but it's unlikely we can find the problem with so little info. Try to post the minimal set of stuff needed to replicate the problem. It's probably something that you don't say, you think is right but we know is wrong.

ok....
The spin ID of the stellar is 1070, the sprite ID is 2258 and the mask ID is 20998. The x and y size are 280 pixels and the x and y tiles are 1. the rled 2258 is 280 x 280 and is mostly holes becuase of the dark colors of the stellar. The spob is set to to stellar is a space station. And the picture is corectly 20998.

@rmx256, on Jul 8 2006, 06:16 AM, said in spob graphics:

I like big spobs.

@uncletwitchy, on Jul 8 2006, 09:59 AM, said in spob graphics:

So do I.

I like big spöbs and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a chär jumps in with an itty bitty shďp
Spot a round thing not a blip
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tough
Cuz you notice that spöb was stuffed....

chronodrago: You're on a PC, right? On a Mac, I'd say you may have a problem with the bit depth of your mask, but I'm guessing you are letting EVNEW generate the mask by itself.... You may need help from someone PC-based to solve your crashes.

If you make your own mask manually and feed that to EVNEW instead of letting the app build it by just assuming that all black in your image should be masked, though, you at least should get rid of unwanted holes in the rleD.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 08 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

(chandler bing) Milk... through the nose... (/chandler bing)

That so reminded me of the version about girls with, ah, visible modifications that I wrote once..

OK... back to the original topic everyone! 😛

@dr--trowel, on Jul 8 2006, 10:12 AM, said in spob graphics:

chronodrago: You're on a PC, right? On a Mac, I'd say you may have a problem with the bit depth of your mask, but I'm guessing you are letting EVNEW generate the mask by itself.... You may need help from someone PC-based to solve your crashes

If you make your own mask manually and feed that to EVNEW instead of letting the app build it by just assuming that all black in your image should be masked, though, you at least should get rid of unwanted holes in the rleD.

Yes i am on a PC, and im letting evnew generate the mask on its own, becuase im using rled so i really dont need the rle8 or selecting the mask option in the rled resource. They work fine and the holes dont bother me becuase the graphic still looks great. And i also found that the rled can work just fine without anyother files.

I created the debuglog.txt and this is what it camee up with for my plugin.

warning: Harbor (1426) lacks landing picture for stellar type
warning: Harbor (1426) has a bar but no bar description
warning: Harbor (1427) has a bar but no bar description
warning: Harbor (1428) lacks landing picture for stellar type
warning: Harbor (1428) lacks landing description
warning: Harbor (1428) has a bar but no bar description
warning: Barbados (1429) lacks landing description
warning: Barbados (1429) has a bar but no bar description
warning: (444) lacks description
warning: Smart Nuke Launcher (542) lacks description
warning: outfit item 541 grants ammo to weapon 311, which doesn't use its own ammo
warning: Galinthor Starbridge (419) has a trade-in value of 816250 but costs only 725000

BTW: i really dont knw what this thing is talking aobut "warning: outfit item 541 grants ammo to weapon 311, which doesn't use its own ammo" Becuase i checked it out and the ammunition outfit is for weap 311 and the outfit resource is for weap 311. But aperently in game the stellar nuke is the amunnition for the smart nuke. Its really odd.

@chronodrago, on Jul 8 2006, 01:48 PM, said in spob graphics:

BTW: i really dont knw what this thing is talking aobut "warning: outfit item 541 grants ammo to weapon 311, which doesn't use its own ammo"...

It is telling you that there is a mistake in wëap resource 311, in its AmmoType field. It should be 183, but it apparently is not.

As for your spöb graphic problem, I am almost certain that you made a mistake in the spöb resource, and put in the wrong number in the Type field. The leading cause of the crash you are reporting is a spöb resource referring to a non-existant spďn. If you are using spďn 1070, the spöb's Type should be 70.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 08 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

@edwards, on Jul 8 2006, 02:22 PM, said in spob graphics:

As for your spöb graphic problem, I am almost certain that you made a mistake in the spöb resource, and put in the wrong number in the Type field. The leading cause of the crash you are reporting is a spöb resource referring to a non-existant spďn. If you are using spďn 1070, the spöb's Type should be 70.

That would make sense, but i checked the syst out and all is fine, but im going to check the dudes becuase i found that and the wrong dude ID can crash NOVA. Also the systems have the availiblty NCB !b9813 & !b9818 and then there is the same syst(different ID) with b9813 & !b9818 and there is another syst with !b9813 & b9818. I hope there isnt anything wrong with that.

b9813 = during war
b9818 = after war with new gov't in possesion.

chronodrago, by "i checked the syst out and all is fine," do you mean that you can now enter your big-spob system without crashes or other game errors? You sound like you are trying to do too many things at once, and I'm no longer clear on what is and isn't working for you....

So here's some general advice: when you are troubleshooting, you need to simplify to isolate your problems. Take your main plug out of Nova Files for a while and make smaller plugs containing sub-sets of your resources in order to figure out which resources aren't causing you troubles. If you think dude references or NCBs are issues, remove them from your test plug and see whether things start working predictably. Etc., etc.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 09 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

@dr--trowel, on Jul 9 2006, 09:39 AM, said in spob graphics:

chronodrago, by "i checked the syst out and all is fine," do you mean that you can now enter your big-spob system without crashes or other game errors? You sound like you are trying to do too many things at once, and I'm no longer clear on what is and isn't working for you....

What i mean is that the spin corresponding to the graphic of the spob is correct. So the graphic i dont think is the problem, but something else still wasnt letting me enter the syst, it might be a dude resource that doesnt exist, or a ship in the dude resource that doesnt exist. THat crashed nova before for me...

You need both the rlëD and the rlë8. Nova wants you to use both or PICT, but you can't just use one or the other. That may be where part of the problem is.

At least, that's been my experience.

@chronodrago, on Jul 9 2006, 01:00 PM, said in spob graphics:

What i mean is that the spin corresponding to the graphic of the spob is correct. So the graphic i dont think is the problem, but something else still wasnt letting me enter the syst, it might be a dude resource that doesnt exist, or a ship in the dude resource that doesnt exist. THat crashed nova before for me...

So, in line with my earlier advice to simplify to find the sources of your problems, set all the dude type blanks in the syst resource to -1 and set the average number of ships to zero for good measure. Then try to enter the system again. If you can enter, you'll know the dudes are the problem.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 09 July 2006 - 02:43 PM