A Return to the EVO Webstory

Alright. It's about time I gave some idea of what I've been researching, so here's a list of all the techs I've created. First, the Igadzra. Please excuse any possibly confusing specs.

-----------

IGADZRA TECHNOLOGY

IGARA
Shield Capacity: 90
Shield Regeneration: 90
Structural Integrity: 10
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 5 Jumps
Maximum Cruise Speed: 300
Acceleration Thrust: 600
Lateral Thrust Power: 5
Vessel Mass: 30 tons
Vessel Length: 35 meters
Minimum Crew: 3
Weaponry:
1. 4x Swivel Particle Cannons
3. 1x Graviton Beam
4. 1x SAE Launcher + 10 Ammo

IGAZRA
Shield Capacity: 500
Shield Regeneration: 500
Structural Integrity: 50
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 8 jumps
Maximum Cruise Speed: 130
Acceleration Thrust: 275
Lateral Thrust Power: 2
Vessel Mass: 150 tons
Vessel Length: 240 meters
Minimum Crew: 52
Weaponry:
1. 4x Particle Beams
2. 3x Graviton Beams
3. 3x SAE Launchers +30 Ammo

PARTICLE BEAM
Shield Damage: 1.5x of Phase (at phase range) 2x of Phase (max) 20% of standard (minimal)
Armor Damage: 5x of Phase (at phase range) 7x of Phase (max) 25% of standard (minimal)
Range: 2x Phase Range (50% of Phase range is max damage range)
Type: Turreted Beam
Description: A powerful and versatile weapon, the Particle Beam fires a highly concentrated beam of energy against a target, guided by advanced targeting systems that allow for precision attacks. The beam, although powerful at short ranges, gradually reduces in power as it's range increases. The maximum range of the beam is about twice the range of a Phase Turret, and at that range, the beam is fairly weak, but nevertheless still dangerous when in large numbers. This is the turreted form.
Note: There is also a swivel cannon version of the turreted beam.

GRAVITON BEAM
Range: 80% of Phase Weaponry
Type: Turreted Beam
Special: The Graviton beam functions as a duel-use Repulser/Tractor beam. Although it can't function as both simultaneously (for obvious reasons), it can be quickly switched, and is very useful in repelling fighters and other small craft (although it is much less effective against larger vessels).

HALCYON TORPEDO -- Under Development
EVO SPECS
Shield Damage: 230 / 170 / 70
Armor Damage: 60 / 40 / 25
Count: 1000 / 800 / 250 (roughly)
Speed: 650 / 700 / 800 (beginning speed) 1200 / 1300 / 1500 (ending speed)
Reload: 180 / 120 / 90

PERCENTAGE SPECS
Shield Damage: 130 / 97% / 40% of SAE
Armor Damage: 300 / 200 / 125% of SAE
Range: 120 / 90 / 40% of SAE (exact)
Speed: 85 / 93 / 105% of SAE (beginning speed) 160 / 173 / 200% of SAE (ending speed)
Reload: 90 / 60 / 45% of SAE

Type: Homing Projectile
Description: Speed increases as it approaches the target. Does not spin. Is a significant modification of the SAE. Improved targeting, a different projectile to carry the warhead, variable sizes for the warhead itself (class 1, 2, and 3, the last being the largest) and the launcher, and improved speed. The turning/maneuverability is also slightly improved from the SAE. The smallest warhead (Class 1) is different from the others in that it's turning is not as good (about equivalent to the old SAE), and has a significantly shorter reload and range, as well as a slower ending speed. It is, however, much smaller than the others. There are two launcher types: Type 1 (very small, reloads quickly, fires class 1 warheads only) and Type 2 (larger, reloads slower, fires either class 2 or class 3 warheads). The Type 1 will be implemented on Aradas. The Type 2 will be implemented on Igazras. The guidance systems in the missile can also be de-activated by the firing ship and used as a rocket-type weapon instead.

POINT-DEFENSE BATTERY -- Under Development
Description: The point-defense battery is the most advanced type of missile defense system designed by the Igadzra, or perhaps any race at all. It is a two-part defense system. First of all, each battery is equipped with a wide-beam tractor emitter that locks onto and slows down incoming missiles (perhaps even several at a time if they come in at the right vector). At the same time, each battery is equipped with highly-focused particle beam that immediately locks onto and destroys the target. The Battery is designed to be highly miniaturized and thus easy to fit multiple batteries on even a small ship. It is also designed to rapidly destroy missiles as quickly as can be accomplished, not wasting any time to move to the next target. The range is roughly 85% of Phase range.

IGAZRA REFIT -- Under Development
Description: The Igazra is going under an important upgrade to maintain it's position as one of the most powerful warships in the known galaxy. Modifications are as follows:
+100 shields (20% increase)
–150 Regeneration (30% decrease in regeneration time)
+1 Turning (50% increase in turning speed)

-----------

Once I finish the PDS Battery and Halcyon Torpedo, I will be changing the specs of my ships again (not to mention the upgrades from the Igazra Refit).

Now we can move onto the Voinians...

-----------

VOINIAN TECHNOLOGY

VOINIAN CRUISER
Shield Capacity: 25
Shield Regeneration: 200
Structural Integrity: 550
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 6 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 72 hours / hyperlink (3 dph)
Hyper-jump Rate: Slow
Maximum Cruise Speed: 80
Acceleration Thrust: 120
Lateral Thrust Power: 1
Vessel Mass: 1500 tons
Vessel Length: 180 meters
Weapon Space: 10 tons
Cargo Capacity: 40 tons
Minimum Crew: 891
Weaponry:
1. 5x Neutron Turrets
2. 3x Rocket Turrets + 40 Ammo
3. 1x VHF Bay + 4 Heavy Fighters
4. 4x Gatling Turrets

VOINIAN FRIGATE
Shield Capacity: 15
Shield Regeneration: 100
Structural Integrity: 280
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 5 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 48 hours / hyperlink (2 dph)
Maximum Cruise Speed: 110
Acceleration Thrust: 240
Lateral Thrust Power: 2
Vessel Mass: 800 tons
Vessel Length: 70 meters
Weapon Space: 0 tons
Cargo Capacity: 10 tons
Minimum Crew: 364
Weaponry:
1. 3x Neutron Turrets
2. 2x Rocket Turrets + 25 Ammo
4. 3x Gatling Turrets

VOINIAN HEAVY FIGHTER
Shield Capacity: 2
Shield Regeneration: 50
Structural Integrity: 15
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 3 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 24 hours / hyperlink (1 dph)
Hyper-jump Rate: Medium
Maximum Cruise Speed: 200
Acceleration Thrust: 400
Lateral Thrust Power: 4
Vessel Mass: 35 tons
Vessel Length: 10 meters
Cargo Capacity: 20 tons
Minimum Crew: 4
Weaponry:
1. 3x Neutron Cannons
2. 2x Rocket Launchers + 5 Ammo

VOINIAN INTERCEPTOR
Shield Capacity: 1
Shield Regeneration: 100
Structural Integrity: 10
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 3 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 24 hours / hyperlink (1 dph)
Hyper-jump Rate: Medium
Maximum Cruise Speed: 250
Acceleration Thrust: 500
Lateral Thrust Power: 4
Vessel Mass: 25 tons
Vessel Length: 12 meters
Cargo Capacity: 10 tons
Minimum Crew: 2
Weaponry:
1. 2x Neutron Cannons
2. 1x Rocket Launchers + 5 Ammo

VOINIAN DREADNOUGHT -- Under Development
Shield Capacity: 150
Shield Regeneration: 600
Structural Integrity: 1500
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 10 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 72 hours / hyperlink (3 dph)
Maximum Cruise Speed: 60
Acceleration Thrust: 100
Lateral Thrust Power: 1
Vessel Mass: 4000 tons
Vessel Length: 230 meters
Weapon Space: 150 tons
Cargo Capacity: 150 tons
Minimum Crew: 2080
Weaponry:
1. 8x Neutron Turrets
2. 3x Salvo Rocket Turrets + 120 Ammo
3. 1x Interceptor Bay + 10 Heavy Fighters

NEUTRON TURRET
Shield Damage: 30
Armor Damage: 10
Count: 50
Speed: 1125
Reload: 25

GATLING TURRET
Shield Damage: Negligible
Armor Damage: Negligible
Range: Neutron Range
Description: The Gatling Turret is a rapid-firing rotary cannon design to intercept and destroy incoming enemy munitions, such as rockets and missiles. It is relatively small, not needing massive power generators or huge cannons to fire the projectiles, which are small and accurate, only capable of destroying missiles, and being useless against larger objects like Fighters and Warships. Roughly, a single turret has 11% effectiveness, 22% effectiveness for two turrets, 33% for three, and 44% for four. Beyond four, however, the maximum effectiveness is only about 65% interception of all incoming missiles for six or seven (or more) turrets.

ROCKET TURRET/LAUNCHER -- Under Development
Shield Damage: 80 (+40) (w/ WU)
Armor Damage: 200 (+40) (w/ WU)
Count: 275 (+25) (w/ SU)
Speed: 700 (+150) (w/ SU)
Reload: 100

Note: SU denotes Speed Upgrade. WU denotes Weapon Upgrade. The numbers in parenthesis denote how much the rocket has been upgraded, not how much it will be upgraded.

Description (warhead upgrade): A modification to the actual warhead of the rocket, designing it so that the full force of the blast is directed forward in a 45ş cone. This allows for a more concentrated explosion, which is much more damaging. When destroyed by a PDS system, the Rocket will automatically detonate, creating a rather large splash damage area, although only in the forward 45ş cone.

Description (speed upgrade): A simple upgrade to the Rocket, increasing it's speed noticeably, as well as a slightly increased life span. This results in much improved range, and improved accuracy.

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 18 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

Consul Bob, you controlled my fleet a bit there. I'm not stupid enough to get so close that you can blow up a third of my fleet or whatever. As well, you escaped in one post, and I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the losses because of the tactics i was employing.

You also forgot about DSN-1810, and you're taking an awfully short time to research those Space Bombs.

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 18 February 2005 - 05:38 PM

I have, in the secure databank of each and every ship, a complete, adaptive model of the minefield, complete with the position and drift rate of every mine, so that I can avoid hitting them. Sure, mines that got too close to the station would be destroyed...there's probably about a blaze-range worth of distance between the mines and my ships.

The minefield means that formation flying for your ships (which you didn't order, anyhow) would be nearly impossible, if not dangerous because of the blast radius of the mines. Thus, they'd be coming out of the minefield individually or in small groups, and would be immediately subjected to an incredibly concentrated hail of blaze fire; the impact value of the blaze cannons means that you'd have to be using nearly all of your manuverability just to keep from being thrown back into the mines. Thus impaired, your small groups of ships would not have the time or opportunity to get off any significant amount of fire before being destroyed. If there were no minefield, and you could mass attack the formation with all of your light ships, you probably would have done vastly more damage. As things were, you should consider yourself fortunate that I thought highly enough of your Crescent Fighters to allow a few of them to break into the middle of the formation.

Incidentally, Turncoats are not slow firing. Blaze weaponry fires twice as fast as phase weaponry.

Some kraits would be thrown into the mines. The inaccuracy of blaze fire would be also be taking out mines.
My ships are not flying through the minefield-they are flying on the outer edges taking out the mines. Therefore, the damage done to them while they were supposedly going through the minefield is invalid. In addition, the ships are not scattered, as all they are really doing is flying forward, firing until they are moderately damaged, breaking away to the sides, and letting the next wave come forward. They are close enough to their fleet that the next wave can come up almost instantly.

Cargo transporters and renegade aradas both have a speed value of 300. Renegade Aradas are only armed with forward-firing weaponry even when undamaged.

I don't know where you got those numbers but I just checked and that is inaccurate. The Cargo Transporter has an acceleration of 300 and a speed of 250. The Arada has an acceleration of 600 and a speed of 300. Even if they had the same speed, they could fly over the fleet and let the Crescent Warships pound them. Keep in mind that there are over 500 Crescent Fighters around the fleet. My ships would be under no obligation to destroy the aradas.

What Ryuu said. You're flying into a solid wall of blaze fire. If you try and hold back to exploit the superior range of your phase cannons, you'll be in the minefield again, and if you stop to fire far enough back to reduce the effect of the blaze cannons, a mine will drift into your ship and wipe it from existence. The inaccuracy of the blaze turrets is actually helping me in this situation, because it means that the entire area around a target ship will be filled with fire, making it effectively impossible for your vessels to avoid my fire.

As my ships are not flying through the minefield (thus they are not scattered and 500 Crescent fighters could destroy a bunch of kraits and Helians any day), this damage is also invalid.

EVO mines drift around the system, forming a dynamic minefield. The suicide ships which saw the most use so far were the Cargo Transporters, which can match your second-fastest ships for speed. Also, your minesweeper ships are getting needled into the mines.

As the Fighters are flying towards the mines and then breaking away to the sides through clear space, the needle missiles would push a few into the mines, but they would push most of them away from the mines.

The space mine technology already exists, it just isn't in use.

I wasn't even operating with the possibility that the Bakka station has weapons mounted on it. If I'm going to respect your ridiculous post about your fleet moving in without me even noticing it, you should equally respect the post where my fleet escaped (without a ridiculous number of losses).

-Consul Bob

Captain Carnotaur, on Feb 18 2005, 04:20 PM, said:

Consul Bob, you controlled my fleet a bit there. I'm not stupid enough to get so close that you can blow up a third of my fleet or whatever. As well, you escaped in one post, and I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the losses because of the tactics i was employing.

You also forgot about DSN-1810, and you're taking an awfully short time to research those Space Bombs.
View Post

I wasn't even operating with the possibility that the Bakka station has weapons mounted on it. If I'm going to respect your ridiculous post about your fleet moving in without me even noticing it, you should equally respect the post where my fleet escaped (without a ridiculous number of losses).

-Consul Bob

Alright guys, no more arguing in the OOC topic, I've heard both sides of the issue, and you each have valid points.

The fact is that nobody is allowed to control each other's ships. Bob can't assume that Carno would capture the station, Carno can't assume that Bob's ships weren't in position for a quick retreat.

These are the new moderated losses.

Abaddon Warfleet -- Returning to Avann
32 Cruisers (3 destroyed, 2 moderately damaged)
185 Frigates (10 destroyed, 3 moderately damaged)
255 Heavy Fighters (25 destroyed)
160 Interceptors (40 destroyed)

United Earth Fleet -- Retreated to Centauri
13 Carriers (7 destroyed, 2 heavily damaged, 5 moderately damaged, 4 lightly damaged)
40 Destroyers (10 destroyed, 9 heavily damaged, 11 moderately damaged)
32 Fighters (68 destroyed)

Selax, on Feb 18 2005, 07:31 PM, said:

Some kraits would be thrown into the mines.

By what? Phase cannons don't cause impact, and even if they did, if I am reading your argument correctly, you're not coming into the minefield at all.

The inaccuracy of blaze fire would be also be taking out mines.

If you're not flying through the minefield, then there's no reason why my ships would even have to fire blaze cannons.

My ships are not flying through the minefield-they are flying on the outer edges taking out the mines.

I am being very nice to you in a couple of matters, in the hope of making a better story. The first is that your enterance into the system somehow not occurring on top of the suicide ships, since I specifically had them placed around the perimeter of the systems. The second relates to this point: in EV:O, there's no way to target a mine with a ranged weapon. Space mine clearance in EV:O is actually done by picking up the mines and disarming them, one by one, by hand, a process which is "extremely dangerous"...especially considering that EV:O space mines do not show up on sensors, and I have a map of them and you do not. In fact, mine clearing is so slow that at the time the game starts, the Sol system still hadn't been cleared of mines from the Battle of Sol, and there is an 'oops' resource that says when they are finally all gone.

I have absolutely no obligation to be so nice. If we're going to start altering things drastically, these are going to be among the first.

Therefore, the damage done to them while they were supposedly going through the minefield is invalid.

You ordered your ships to eliminate any threat to the minesweeping process; that is why I had them enter the minefield, so that they could take out my ships, which are sitting in formation in the center of the system, with a blaze cannon's range in between them and the mines. If you want to negate that your ships followed that order, keep in mind that it means that my ships will not take any damage, and will continue bombarding you with needle missiles.

I don't know where you got those numbers but I just checked and that is inaccurate. The Cargo Transporter has an acceleration of 300 and a speed of 250. The Arada has an acceleration of 600 and a speed of 300. Even if they had the same speed, they could fly over the fleet and let the Crescent Warships pound them. Keep in mind that there are over 500 Crescent Fighters around the fleet. My ships would be under no obligation to destroy the aradas.

I cede this point to you. You may keep your warships. I accidentally checked that stat from an old version of EV:O that was modified.

As my ships are not flying through the minefield (thus they are not scattered and 500 Crescent fighters could destroy a bunch of kraits and Helians any day), this damage is also invalid.

This has already been covered above.

As the Fighters are flying towards the mines and then breaking away to the sides through clear space, the needle missiles would push a few into the mines, but they would push most of them away from the mines.

Okay, so you keep getting pushed back when you try and clear the mines, making minesweeping far more difficult.

By what? Phase cannons don't cause impact, and even if they did, if I am reading your argument correctly, you're not coming into the minefield at all.

As I recall, you said some of my fighters ran into the mines because they were going too fast. Some of the kraits would do the same.

I am being very nice to you in a couple of matters, in the hope of making a better story. The first is that your enterance into the system somehow not occurring on top of the suicide ships, since I specifically had them placed around the perimeter of the systems. The second relates to this point: in EV:O, there's no way to target a mine with a ranged weapon. Space mine clearance in EV:O is actually done by picking up the mines and disarming them, one by one, by hand, a process which is "extremely dangerous"...especially considering that EV:O space mines do not show up on sensors, and I have a map of them and you do not. In fact, mine clearing is so slow that at the time the game starts, the Sol system still hadn't been cleared of mines from the Battle of Sol, and there is an 'oops' resource that says when they are finally all gone.

I have absolutely no obligation to be so nice. If we're going to start altering things drastically, these are going to be among the first.

Realisticly, it would be impossible to completely surround a system's perimeter with mines because one can always hyper in further out. I am not using ranged weapons. My fighters and aradas carry cannons-that is all they need. (This isn't from EVO but in Reign of the UE you could target mines.

You ordered your ships to eliminate any threat to the minesweeping process; that is why I had them enter the minefield, so that they could take out my ships, which are sitting in formation in the center of the system, with a blaze cannon's range in between them and the mines. If you want to negate that your ships followed that order, keep in mind that it means that my ships will not take any damage, and will continue bombarding you with needle missiles.

I hadn't remembered that but what I probably meant was any helians or kraits daring enough to venture outside the mines. I am fine with your ships taking no damage, but, since my ships didn't enter the field, that means that they destroyed many more mines as they were not wasting time trying to rush through them.

(for every ship at Freeport had at least one needle launcher, and any ship that ran out was re-supplied by one of thirty captured Shuttles that ware being used for the purpose).

I don't think resupplying your ranged weaponry during a fight is legal under the rules. Does anyone know for sure?

Selax, on Feb 18 2005, 10:20 PM, said:

As I recall, you said some of my fighters ran into the mines because they were going too fast. Some of the kraits would do the same.

Your ships are moving. Mine are not. Therefore, your comparison is invalid.

Realisticly, it would be impossible to completely surround a system's perimeter with mines because one can always hyper in further out.

In EVO, ships always warp in at the same distance. Besides, how would you know about them? There are no long range sensors.

I am not using ranged weapons. My fighters and aradas carry cannons-that is all they need.

Cannons are a ranged weapon, because they fire shots to a distance from the firing ship.

(This isn't from EVO but in Reign of the UE you could target mines.

RotUE is irrelevant. How did you get it to unstuff, anyway? My machine just said the file was invalid. Had the same problem with Femme Fatale. Frozen Heart, Star Wars, and B5 all worked fine, though.

I hadn't remembered that but what I probably meant was any helians or kraits daring enough to venture outside the mines. I am fine with your ships taking no damage, but, since my ships didn't enter the field, that means that they destroyed many more mines as they were not wasting time trying to rush through them.

I refer you to my earlier comment about the difficulty of removing mines in EV:O.

In my opinion you both have relitively equal standing in the case of combat. Selax has superrior weapons, speeds, and shielding but wing-of-no-wing has a tactical advantage (minefield, ICS pods, homefield advantage, etc.) In the end your casualties should be about the same, not insanely in the favor of the current poster. Remember the renegade string from the stock scenario, the human renegades got creamed but they barely managed to beat back the south-tip renegade invaders, losing Gorky in the process. Even with the mines, suicide ships, ICS pods, and general refits the human renegade ships are still akin to tissue paper compared to crecent weapons--SAD's can fire blind, Disp. Rockets can still hit, and crecent warships can still go toe-to-toe with several turncoats at once. Wing won't abandon his home base, and Selax won't yield until every ship, either friendly or no, is dead. In the end I predict that this will end up like the north-tip renegade missions; one side fataly wounded, the other too weak to press the attack. Mark my words: "There will be a power vacuume in the south-tip, I doubt it will be long before it is filled."

My humble opinion,
~tHe vIsitor~

Your ships are moving. Mine are not. Therefore, your comparison is invalid.

I believe that comparison was meant for when you believed my ships were in the minefield, so yes that comparison is no longer important.

Cannons are a ranged weapon, because they fire shots to a distance from the firing ship.

Last I knew Ranged weapons generally are used to refer to things like SAD modules, needle missiles, or hunter missiles.

RotUE is irrelevant. How did you get it to unstuff, anyway? My machine just said the file was invalid. Had the same problem with Femme Fatale. Frozen Heart, Star Wars, and B5 all worked fine, though.

I have never had a problem. There are several different versions available for download (including one that is much smaller because it has no music). Could try different ones if you have not already.

I refer you to my earlier comment about the difficulty of removing mines in EV:O.

I refer you to your comment about a wall of blaze fire and point out that I can send out a fairly solid wall of phase fire and all I really need to do is clear a path. Does Riomor have an asteroid belt? The mines in Sol were hard to find because they were an asteroid belt, as I recall.

May I also add the fact that those mines are basically a small, thin metal shell filled with a bunch of high-explosive. Secondly, whether an asteroid belt is present or not is not a factor - in fact, having an asteroid belt is good for mine-clearing, as stray asteroids can bang into a mine and cause it to detonate.

Also, ranged weapons refer to any weapon whose ammunition can go at a distance, even point-blank. Cannons are included in this description.

All weapons in EV, EVO and EVN are ranged. No such thing as a close-combat weapon in any of the three games.

EDIT: It's actually harder to create a wall of fire with a Phase Cannon than a Blaze Cannon. The Phase cannon has more accuracy, reducing the "spread".

This post has been edited by Ryuu : 19 February 2005 - 03:03 AM

I have removed the casualty count entirely for the time being, pending finalized numbers.

SAD's can fire blind.

I suppose they could, but because they have 180 inaccuracy, there'd be no telling which direction they would go. He'd be just as likely to hit his own ships as he is to hit mine...more, actually, because he's closer to his than he is to mine.

I have never had a problem. There are several different versions available for download (including one that is much smaller because it has no music). Could try different ones if you have not already.

Hmmm. I had the same problems with all the versions. It downloads, but then refuses to unstuff/install. It says, "A file error (-43) occurred while accessing "ReignOfTheUEv(whichever version I'm trying to make work." Oh well.

"There will be a power vacuume in the south-tip, I doubt it will be long before it is filled."

Why are fighting again?

May I also add the fact that those mines are basically a small, thin metal shell filled with a bunch of high-explosive. Secondly, whether an asteroid belt is present or not is not a factor - in fact, having an asteroid belt is good for mine-clearing, as stray asteroids can bang into a mine and cause it to detonate.

That means that if anything hits them they would blow up easily, does it not?
I finally found it, and the oops resource says: Local News: Sol Commander Jackson reports the asteroid belt has now been cleared of mines from the Battle of Sol. This quite obviously took years to do a thorough clean-up of an asteroid belt. Asteroid don't help clearing mines. Also, I don't need to do a thorough clean-up, nor do I have to deal with an asteroid belt, as far as I know.

Also, ranged weapons refer to any weapon whose ammunition can go at a distance, even point-blank. Cannons are included in this description.

A strict definition of ranged weapons would include cannons, but when someone says that they are developing a new ranged weapon-it usually means some sort of missile, not cannon. In the EV series, as far as I can tell, ranged weapons generally refer to things like missiles.

EDIT: It's actually harder to create a wall of fire with a Phase Cannon than a Blaze Cannon. The Phase cannon has more accuracy, reducing the "spread".

True, but you are forgetting that I have over 500 Crescent Fighters and quite a few aradas-more than enough.

Out of curiosity, Wing-of-no-Wing, where did you check to find the flags on SAD modules and hunter missiles? I have checked the weapons resource and according to it they have different jamming and different homing abilities. Is there a flag for this located elsewhere? What about those captured shuttles? Where did you get them and can use them for battles purposes (I have an imaginary freighter group but, as far as I know, I can't use them for battle purposes and they are not part of my fleet numbers, as they will disappear when I get a new system)? Also, can ships be refit in battle?

This post has been edited by Selax : 19 February 2005 - 03:16 PM

Selax, on Feb 19 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

That means that if anything hits them they would blow up easily, does it not?

Nothing has ever hit a space mine in EVO with weapons fire. Ever. The shots simply go right over the space mine without touching it.

If you hit them with a ship they blow up quite readily, however. I am sure that you could produce a very effective minesweeping device by lowering the shields of a Crescent warship and sending it into the minefield at full speed.

I finally found it, and the oops resource says: Local News: Sol Commander Jackson reports the asteroid belt has now been cleared of mines from the Battle of Sol. This quite obviously took years to do a thorough clean-up of an asteroid belt. Asteroid don't help clearing mines. Also, I don't need to do a thorough clean-up, nor do I have to deal with an asteroid belt, as far as I know.

Space Mines have Misc flags of $0002. That means that they do not pass over asteroids, but rather hit asteroids, as most weapons do. Therefore, asteroids would help in clearing a minefield. You do not have any asteroids to help you in Riomar.

A strict definition of ranged weapons would include cannons, but when someone says that they are developing a new ranged weapon-it usually means some sort of missile, not cannon. In the EV series, as far as I can tell, ranged weapons generally refer to things like missiles.

I was referring to ranged weapons by the strict definition.

Out of curiosity, Wing-of-no-Wing, where did you check to find the flags on SAD modules and hunter missiles? I have checked the weapons resource and according to it they have different jamming and different homing abilities. Is there a flag for this located elsewhere?

If you look in ResEdit, there are a couple of flag fields. The first of this is "MiscFlags", which relates to the properties of all weapons. This contains things like the constant spinning and the second trigger fire of the weapon.

The second is "Seeker"; this is the field that we are interested in. The seeker bits for the SAD module are $040C. Although you could use the 4 to jam SAD modules, it is the C that we are interested in here.

0x0001 Passes over asteroids
0x0002 Decoyed by asteroids
0x0004 Decoyed by flares
0x0008 Confused by sensor interference

This quote from the EVO Bible describes the "ones" hexadecimal digit's functions. With these numbers, there is only one way to add bits to achieve a given hexadecimal (base 16) sum for the digit in question. So, how do we achieve a value of C? Set 4 and 8, because 4+8 = C. The 4 refers to flares, which are unused in stock EV:O. 8 refers to sensor interference, which is the principle upon which the ICS (interference capsule system) operates.

As for your question about transport ships, if you go to Freeport and visit the shipyard, you will see them.

Incidentally, you really didn't need to attack me. It would cost you a lot less to just rent parts of the station than to take it by force.

Nothing has ever hit a space mine in EVO with weapons fire. Ever. The shots simply go right over the space mine without touching it.

If you hit them with a ship they blow up quite readily, however. I am sure that you could produce a very effective minesweeping device by lowering the shields of a Crescent warship and sending it into the minefield at full speed.

No Renegade fleet has ever used shuttles to resupply in battle in EVO either. Just because one can't shoot weapons in EVO, it doesn't mean that one wouldn't hit them in reality. In reality, if it is there, it can be hit with weapons fire.

Space Mines have Misc flags of $0002. That means that they do not pass over asteroids, but rather hit asteroids, as most weapons do. Therefore, asteroids would help in clearing a minefield. You do not have any asteroids to help you in Riomar.

The resource makes it clear that it is much more difficult to clear mines out of an asteroid field. Obviously, it took years for the humans to clear Sol's asteroid belt. With no asteroids to hide them, the mines are plainly visible and thus can easily be shot at. Therefore, they would not help me. You don't have any asteroids to help you in Riomor.

In fact, mine clearing is so slow that at the time the game starts, the Sol system still hadn't been cleared of mines from the Battle of Sol, and there is an 'oops' resource that says when they are finally all gone.

The mine clearing after the Battle of Sol is significantly different than the mine clearing that I am doing in Riomor. It was slow because it had to thorough (mine doesn't) and had an asteroid belt to deal with (I do not). I also doubt very much that the UE was using a large warfleet to clear a system that was mostly clear of mines (this clearness indicates that the mine clearing necessary for effective usage of a system doesn't have to be slow); however, I have a large warfleet and (following EVO) I can see the mines and can sit outside their range quite safely (the drift being too slow for the mine to reach my fleet intact). Also, this almost certainly refers to a complete clearing of the mines (it is quite likely that most of the mines had been cleared, but they were still finding the occasional one), which, as I have pointed out, I am under no obligation to do. I believe the mine clearing that I am doing in Riomor would proceed quickly.

As for your question about transport ships, if you go to Freeport and visit the shipyard, you will see them.

When did you use production to get these shuttles? Even if you have access to the ships, you still need to use production to get them. I don't think that you can use them to refit you fleet in battle under the rules. However, that is not my decision.

In EVO, ships always warp in at the same distance. Besides, how would you know about them? There are no long range sensors.

It would be impossible to completely surround a solar system's perimeter with mines or suicide ships. There is simply too much space to be completely covered, so even if I had to warp in at a set place, I could still avoid them. Realistically, I could warp out far enough to avoid them.

I was referring to ranged weapons by the strict definition.

This is unimportant, as in the EVO universe the mines are visible. What I can see I can manually target (or aim in the general direction of) and hit with cannons. I don't need to lock on to them because I have enough firepower to take them out by shooting in their direction. I am under no obligation to completely clear the minefield-all that I need to do is punch a hole in it. Since the mines don't move and cannot be told to move to attack ships, all I need to do is shoot straight in front of my fleet and clear a path.

As for knowing about the mines, you used your ship production to build them and I believe the rules are that your fleet production, size, and status are known to all races. Thus, my agents (or the renegades that I captured earlier) informed me.

I don't have ResEdit, but I have checked both Ev-Edit and Mission Computer.
From Ev-Edit, I have noticed that hunter missiles use dumb homing and SAD modules use smart homing. Under 50% Jamming, neither has anything checked (hunter missiles have nothing checked under either) and SAD modules have III checked under 100% Jamming. Under mission computer the flags check out except for hunter missiles have $0000 set. Does this mean that they will still be affected by sensor interference?
Are you referring to the kind of sensor interference that makes the system map go static?

This post has been edited by Selax : 19 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

Selax, on Feb 19 2005, 05:46 PM, said:

I don't have ResEdit, but I have checked both Ev-Edit and Mission Computer.

EV-Edit is obsolete. It misses a lot of the flags. That said, when I open SAD modules in EV-Edit, it has the boxes for the flags I described to you earlier checked. Are you using EVO 1.0.2? Many item and ship stats have been changed. If you are using an old and/or modified version, as I did for the Cargo Transporter speed stat, that would explain things.

I checked the Res-Edit values both against EV-Edit and EVOGod.

This directly from game text:

It was rapidly discovered that the guidance system of hunter missiles was rendered useless by interference in the Proxima Nebula

In reality, if it is there, it can be hit with weapons fire.

1. This isn't reality. This is an EVO webstory and therefore must follow EVO.
2. Small objects are very hard to hit, especially when they don't have reactors etc. putting out constant information for an enemy targeting system to use.

I believe the mine clearing that I am doing in Riomor would proceed quickly.

I am not saying that it would take years for you to clear a path through my mines. But certainly, for reasons that I have explained already, a lot longer than you have it taking.

With regards to shuttles, I don't really care so much if they stay or go. Needle missiles don't take up any space, so each ship can carry a great many of them even without resupply.

Yes, I am using EVO 1.0.2.
Looking at the game text concerning hunter missiles, how do the SAD modules function (good, medium, or bad) in the Proxima Nebula systems?

1. This isn't reality. This is an EVO webstory and therefore must follow EVO.
2. Small objects are very hard to hit, especially when they don't have reactors etc. putting out constant information for an enemy targeting system to use.

1. No, this is a webstory set in the EVO universe. It is reality set in the EVO universe.
2. True, but with my fleet's firepower it doesn't matter. I have enough ships to blast the mainbody of the mines out of my fleet's way.

I am not saying that it would take years for you to clear a path through my mines. But certainly, for reasons that I have explained already, a lot longer than you have it taking.

With regards to shuttles, I don't really care so much if they stay or go. Needle missiles don't take up any space, so each ship can carry a great many of them even without resupply.

What reasons? The only one that I have seen so far is the size which I already answered above.

The needle missiles on your ships (unless you have researched an upgrade) must be of the same amount that they are in the game. I know that you have upgraded the kraits but how many can they carry with their size?

This post has been edited by Selax : 19 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

Okay, I've talked to Wing about this. I played Devil's advocate on Selax's side for what seems like hours. I've come to the conclusion that while Selax has the right of it in most of the concepts that are being discussed here, he still comes off in the battle about as bad as Wing shows it.

So, the state of the battle as I see it is thus.

Selax is clearing the mines, but since he dosn't have any tech that's specificly for that purpose, it's slow going. He's also been missing a mine every now and then, and that's inflicted some losses. He's about half way through the field, and Wing is tearing into him with needle missiles. Selax's fleet is returning SAD fire, but the nature of Wings countermeasures, and the system that they're in means that about 70% of his missiles are missing their targets. He's got a lot of ships though, so Wing's had some losses. Wing's suicide ships are likley to do a ton of damage. Wing is allowed to reload his ships with needle missiles, it is his home system after all.

Selax, on Feb 20 2005, 03:51 AM, said:

True, but you are forgetting that I have over 500 Crescent Fighters and quite a few aradas-more than enough.View Post

A-hem. Crescent Fighters are supposed to be weaving through formations, devastating them. They're too fragile to be ships of the line - hell, they're too fragile to be even as a space version of the sloop-of-war.

Also, define quite a few. Any numbering under fifty won't be able to provide an effective firewall.

Okay, I've talked to Wing about this. I played Devil's advocate on Selax's side for what seems like hours. I've come to the conclusion that while Selax has the right of it in most of the concepts that are being discussed here, he still comes off in the battle about as bad as Wing shows it.

So, the state of the battle as I see it is thus.

Selax is clearing the mines, but since he dosn't have any tech that's specificly for that purpose, it's slow going. He's also been missing a mine every now and then, and that's inflicted some losses. He's about half way through the field, and Wing is tearing into him with needle missiles. Selax's fleet is returning SAD fire, but the nature of Wings countermeasures, and the system that they're in means that about 70% of his missiles are missing their targets. He's got a lot of ships though, so Wing's had some losses. Wing's suicide ships are likley to do a ton of damage. Wing is allowed to reload his ships with needle missiles, it is his home system after all.

I dispute coming off as Wing shows it. Needle missiles are too weak to destroy 300 Crescent Fighters who have orders to pull back when moderately damaged. His suicide ships will be able to do virtually nothing against the numbers and firepower that I have. They are far too slow and weak to be a threat. My ships could sit outside their destruction radius and blow them up quite safely. Since I can destroy them in the minefield (and since they must huge blast radius to do lots of damage), they would take out a lot of his mines. Why are his defenses about 50 times as good as the fleet production that he would built in those days? Shouldn't they have the same effectiveness? His minefield and suicide ships would have to be of monolithic numbers (quite beyond for what he would have gotten for production on those days) to be any real threat. If I had known that one could win the entire story if one just retreated to one system and did nothing but build defenses, then I would have done so. My damaged ships are pulling back and, since they regenerate quickly, the missiles will do little. The concentration of mines necessary to do anything (and since they drift) would be blasted apart. It might be his home system, but, since it is my entire government, should not I get to refit my ships with SAD modules? If I had only known that simply having 200 Crescent Fighters commit suicide would do more damage than real strategy.
The only thing he has that can really hurt me are the missiles and they are too weak that, without refits (from shuttles that didn't take any production) they would be useless. His mines may drift, but that is unimportant-they are basically stationary. His suicide ships are really no threat. His defenses are really nothing more than a nuisance that might cost me 100-160-190 Crescent Fighters (this only from missiles and they occasional stray mines-any really damaging concentrations are easily removed), but not 300 Crescent Fighters and 3 Crescent Warships.

A-hem. Crescent Fighters are supposed to be weaving through formations, devastating them. They're too fragile to be ships of the line - hell, they're too fragile to be even as a space version of the sloop-of-war.

Also, define quite a few. Any numbering under fifty won't be able to provide an effective firewall.

The only thing that can hurt the Crescent fighters are the missiles, which really can't destroy many of them before they pull back and regenerate.
I think there are around 70 aradas.

As I said earlier, I have considered quitting. I have several reasons.
I fully agree with Captain Skyblade (who said in the EV topic on this sort of thing) that research should be banned and a battle calculator (or neutral moderator-I say a team of neutral moderators now) should decide battles. I don't really like the way research and battles are done in this.
I mean no offense but I haven't really liked the moderation on this.
I think that a conflict between two main governments with subordinates on each side would be much more easily managed (one player wouldn't have three hostile governments around him, while another may have one or none).
Basic defense fleets would be wisely included (look what happened to the UE without them).

Effective as of now, I resign as leader of the South Tip Renegades. I hereby quit this webstory.
My fleet is no longer in existence. Groned is surrendered to Captain Carnotaur.
To Captain Carnotaur and Paranoid: I hope you win.

This post has been edited by Selax : 19 February 2005 - 11:43 PM