A Return to the EVO Webstory

Tomorrow? You're doing this to make us stragglers get in contact with you, aren't you?

Oh, and I am willing to fill up the ST Renegade/Strandless plot (one, the other, both, whatever you need). I'd like to have someone else to interact with, but I'll be down there anyway. I've got several ideas and maybe one won't even be intolerably bad.

Nice intro, by the way.

This post has been edited by Paranoid : 07 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Tomorrow? Ach...I'm going to have to write something up at some point. Eh. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a small story bit written tomorrow...really busy life, you know.

-Consul Bob

Tomorrow? Cuttn' it close but I guess I can take it, i'm in and ready to rumble.

~tHe vIsitor~

A breif background of the Miranu:

The Miranu are an ancient race, having inhabited Mirava for thousands of years, and having explored and colonized the surrounding space for centuries. Valuing peace, commerce, and stability, the Miranu have historically interacted peacefully with their neighbors, establishing trade routes where they could, while trying to stay out of the wars of the strands. Valuing knowledge also, they've kept tabs on their neighbors when they could; indeed even in the UE there have been reports of strange, saucer-shaped alien vessels on the fringes of their northern borders - scouts, Miranu Couriers, keeping a quiet watch on their neighbors to the south.

As many races did, the Miranu went through a period of turmoil and internal strife early on in their history, nationstates warring against other nationstates, until around 1600 YBP (years before present), when a single monarchy government came to power over all of Mirava. This world order lasted for nearly seven hundred years, a time of peace during which literature, music, commerce, and even science took hold and flourished all across the world.

Around 950 YBP, rebellions began to occur; people felt that the monarchy had become corrupt, granting indulgences to privileged class and exerting undue control over the legal system. The rebellions continued to grow in size and frequency, until the monarchy was finally overthrown in 913 YBP and replaced by a democratically elected senate. Seven hundred years of peace leaves a lasting impression on a populace, though, and once the monarchy was gone the turmoil ended as quickly as it began, and no more civil wars have ever occured in Miranu space since.

As time marched on, Miranu technology continued to advance, with the first computer developed in 790 YBP, followed not long after by the first spacecraft not long after in 772 YBP. By 580 YBP, the first hyperjump lanes were opened, and the Miranu began to explore the universe. New colonies sprung up, new neighbors were discovered, and for a time all was well.

The first renegade attacks were in 235 YBP, raids on the northern worlds of Dewe and New Mira. Though each system had a small militia, these minimal and inexperienced forces proved a poor match against the well-armed, battle-hardened renegades. Thus the Zachit came into being, a mercenary group by name, but in all else the military defensive arm of the Miranu government. For nearly two centuries the courageous Zachit have held the renegades at bay, making safe the northern Miranu worlds.

In recent years, a powerful force in Miranu society has been the Miranu Trade Conglomerate, or MTC. Founded in 93 YBP and based on Blaga, this powerful corporation currently controls nearly two-thirds of all shipping within Miranu territory, and accounts for nearly a third of the Miranu economy. In the past couple decades tensions have occasionally risen between Blaga and Mirava, the greed of the MTC clashing with the edicts of the more moralistic Miranu senate. What will become of these tensions, and the relations of the Miranu with their neighbors, is yet to be seen.

The Modern History Of The Human Race

A nightmare was brought into reality when the American Alliance, on August 14, 2057, declared war on the combined forces of the Russian Federation and the European Union. Nuclear fire devastated cities that existed in ancient times; thriving communities were no more. After the Alliance prevailed, the Free Republic of China rose up to declare themselves the rulers of humanity by default; they lost this position several days later when Alliance forces nuked Beijing and several other important cities. The Grand Council leading the African Free States requested the President of the Alliance, officially, to end the war, and he did...but the conflict would resume several years later.

In that period of time, the world started to rebuild what they had lost, and the Chinese licked their wounds. It seemed as if peace would be restored when, in 2072, a nuclear bomb hit the capital of the American Alliance, Washington D.C. itself. The Alliance, filled with a towering rage, moved their capital to Austin, Texas, and then, after tracing the nuclear launch to Argentina, one of the places in South America that was not under Alliance control, launched the biggest nuclear weapon that had been launched in the history of humanity. This immense bomb, unlike all of the other bombs launched in the "Atlantic/Pacific War", was a dirty bomb. It struck Argentina and wiped out all major population centers. Soon afterwards, the African Free States called the first meeting of the United Nations in years to order to propose a treaty that restricted all use of nuclear weapons. This treaty was accepted by all except for the towering American Alliance, but the Senate forced the President to resign and elected a new leader that supported the motion completely, ending an age.

With the Atlantic/Pacific Wars behind them, the humans turned their sights towards the future, and formed United Earth, an organization that would replace the U.N. and decide upon all research priorities for humanity, as well as bring some of the smaller and weaker countries into basic mergers that would benefit them. Terraforming research was conducted to attempt to solve the nuclear bombing at Argentina, but, more than anything else, the U.E. focused on space research. With humanity's top researchers combined into a union, they managed to develop "safe" space travel with artificial gravity and life-support enhancements that gradually brought travel to the level where humans did not need to fly in space suits.

In 2098, an eccentric researcher created a system that sucked space particles in to create a highly capable fuel that could provide practically unlimited sublight travel. He, a year later, invented the hyperdrive, a technological design that bent the space fabric to create faster-than-light speed travel among all ships that mounted it. Life would never be the same.

United Earth expanded into multiple systems and all was well...for a while. But in 2189, aliens were revealed to exist when a mysterious Alien force penetrated into the Sol system itself. The defenders fought a valiant battle, and managed to force the attackers off. The race, calling themselves the Voinians, were revealed to be hostile. Luckily, the U.E. had built up a powerful space navy in the years before, and they were able to update their technology to serve effectively against the attackers.

Nowdays, the war has stablized, and humanity prospers. The Renegades on the east, however, threaten to damage the war effort significantly, and it is feared that the Voinians will attempt another grand offensive someday...scouts bring in reports of glory and grandeur of other alien races; friendly ones, but the U.E., at the moment, has not stated their official opinion on them. It is a time of turmoil, a time of warfare...a time of glory. This is the new era.

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 10 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

My history.

FILE 591101
Name: Peter Christian Nohrgen
Registration Number: 78028435
Birthplace: Dresden, Germany, Earth
Birthdate: (some of you might hate me for this)September 11, 2221
Race: Human
Parents: Father Gunter Nohrgen, mother unknown
Siblings: None
Married to: None
Affiliation: None; mercenary captain
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: 55 kilograms
Hair: Black
Eyes: Dark green

Peter Christian Nohrgen, the son of Gunter Matthias Nohrgen, was born in Dresden, Germany on Earth. Dresden's continuous sense of renewal gave him a thriving society that was far beyond most of the cities in his own country.

In the period between 2221-2239, virtually nothing is known about him. However, when he turned 19, he stowed away on a freighter heading towards Thoso.

In 2241, two years after simply being a freighter captain, he sold his freighter and bought a scoutship, heading towards the north.

Nohrgen returned in 2257, with a ship that was quite alien, but not Voinian. He did not stay for long, heading south.

Tales from the systems of Iothe, Helios, Hatuli and Omm systems describe a triangular ship with two "wings", fending off pirates. As the only ship which matches this description is Nohrgen's after he came back, we can only assume that he is making a living fighting pirates.

Currently, his location is unknown.

-----

ADDENDUM 2237, SOUTH TIP MILITIA
A "human", in an Arada with an accompanying 14-ship fleet, has been helping our militia for the past 7 months. Most of the time, he and his fleet are making forays into renegade space but always come back alive.

The reason for this, or why he does this, is unknown.

That means I'm starting off at South Tip Station, Akrayhek system.

EDIT: Went wrong on the years. Started 105 years too early...
EDIT2: And realized I f'ed up without noticing it, due to the fact that the Battle of Sol is quite a long time before.

This post has been edited by Ryuu : 08 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

Tomorrow? Well, that can work, but I'll have to write some stuff today, I've been quite badly ill the last couple of days, and haven't had a chance to work to much on the Hinwar.

Despite suggestions I take another slot, I'd prefer to stay small, and stick with the Hinwar, as opposed to coming up with a playing style for someone such as the Crescent Strandless, as I may get ill again. Luckily however, I'll be at home rather than school when I'm ill, and so able to write and participate in the story 😉

I'll put something up later today, shouldn't take too long, I'm feelig better, man (nor Hinwar, I suppose) should subsist on thin chicken soup alone!

Okay, I guess that means I'm soloing in the South Tip for a while. If everyone approves my base of operations will be the Strandless Groned system.

I'll write up an intro as soon as possible.

Strandless Introduction said:

History was a blur. The “civilized” races of the Galaxy had long since forgotten the time before the Great Conflict. The Homeless still told tales of the days of peace, but even their tales were twisted beyond whatever once must have been the truth. The tales they spoke of were grim. They said that for millennia, the Council ruled all the Strands and kept them at bay, but there was a price to be paid. A large society could never tolerate misfits and unconformity so the Council had to get rid of those who disrupted the order. Violent criminals were easy, they could be executed immediately, but those who advocated change, expansion or disagreed with the rulers sometimes had too much political clout. The Council decided to do the second best thing and send them away as brave new “colonists” to new planets. Once the exiles arrived at their destination, they were stripped of all tools and left to fend for themselves.

No one can even guess how many died but in a few places, the colonists lived, and some even began to thrive. They called themselves the Homeless, the first new colonists of the Galactic South.

The Council was unable to hold power over the North forever and eventually they relinquished control to regional authorities, but their machinations continued to control the course the Galaxy followed. The regional authorities continued to pour refugees into the Southern regions, and the exiled region grew.

Then came the war.

The Homeless speculated that it was the Council’s doing; it was their bid to maintain control over the Galaxy no matter the cost. However, the Homeless had no proof and in any case the Strands would never have listened to them. To the “civilized” races, they were nothing more than criminal dogs. Nonetheless, they survived and with the continued influx of outcasts and pacifistic idealists, they grew, but any central meaning or lifestyle they once held was lost. They were divided and lost.

The war continued and more exiles were sent, the Azdgari and the Igadzra stopped executing prisoners in favor of the more financially sound method of permanent exile and a new rush of exiles came. The new ones had weapons experience and intelligence, but they were ruthless and with the aid of the original Homeless twisted with years of hatred they overthrew two smaller outposts that had been set up for mining and surveillance of an emerging race to the north. These renegades built up the largest force they could manage and attacked the Igazra’s southern border only to be beaten back miserably. Their resources were far too short to find the revenge they sought, so they turned to pirating their weaker neighbors. They managed to survive, but just barely.

After time Renegades found that their food sources have begun establishing strong enough militias to fight back some of their raids, and the Igadzra and Azdgari strands have taken up “pirate-killing” as a way to get battle experience. Survival began getting even more difficult and it hinged on one weak farming world that didn’t have the resources to defend itself.

Problems, spelling errors, confusion? Tell me an I'll try to fix it.

This post has been edited by Paranoid : 08 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

The Azdgari
“Mayhem is our ally, discipline our mortal foe.”

One of the most common misconceptions regarding the nature of the Azdgari is the belief that they are united under a regulated social structure - akin to the Igadzra and the Zidagar. In actual fact, while the Azdgari society is a complex and vibrant one, there is no overall structure or governing body. In essence, the Azdgari are anarchic, and individual Azdgari live for themselves and for the moment.

One other interesting fact about the Azdgari that tends to escape foreigners is the magnitude of their population. While both the Igadzra and Zidagar populations number into the billions, there are only about three hundred thousand Azdgari males (and roughly eight hundred thousand Azdgari females, the male-female imbalance being mainly associated with the passive way Azdgari females lead their lives compared to the high risk lives of the Azdgari males).

However, while the vast majority of the Igadzra and Zidagar populace lead passive, agrarian lives, this is almost never true of the Azdgari. While anarchic, there exists a strong sense of community within the Azdgari, bound together by their competitive spirits. It was through this that, centuries ago, the Azdgari Index was first created. Individual Azdgari regularly take parts in raids, hunts, races, and countless other challenges of strength, skill and wit. The Azdgari Index was created long ago to serve as a collective database for all Azdgari, originally as nothing more than a ranking system. Due to the Index, Azdgari learn their place in society and their resultant class (although unlike other more primitive and dogmatic societies, this “class” is based solely on their own achievements), and so they are able to function even through their anarchy by a system of respect and well-deserved authority.

Of course, while the Index effectively determines the superiority of one Azdgari over another, their loosely structured society could not function on this alone, and so exists the Assembly, a small group of Azdgari who, via the six councils, hold some sway over (although by no means command) the Azdgari people. For an Azdgari to become a member of the Assembly, his Index rank is unimportant but he must have at least one hundred sponsors from the Azdgari populace, and pass a number of other prerequisites. The Assembly is divided into councils: the Council of War; the Council of Law; the Council of Civil Affairs; the Council of Science; the Council of Engineering; and the Council of Administration. Considering the existence of both the Assembly and the Index, it may seem that the Azdgari are far too structured to refer to themselves as more a group of individuals than a nation, but in reality, the Assembly influences little in the personal lives of Azdgari, and the Index is little more than a ranking system/communication network.

The “war” with the Igadzra and the Zidagar is, interestingly, not even recognised by the Azdgari. While the Strand War has raged for centuries, outdating recordest history of all three Strands, the Azdgari see the entire affair as more sport than anything else. They do not recognise either the Igadzra, or the Zidagar, as truly sentient beings, and regard them much in the same way as they regard the animals they hunt on their own worlds. Many Azdgari raiders operate purely out of their own free will, gathering a group of their friends to attack a Zidagar outpost etc., although such incidences are becoming less common with the Council of War vetoing the vast majority of such ideas. When a serious raid is to commence, the Council of War issues a request for willing Azdgari to form temporary squadrons, or larger warbands which operate solely for the purpose of a single mission, or a short series of missions, before being disbanded.

As of the year 4950 (current date), the Azdgari are enjoying a period of prosperity which has lasted almost a decade now. Due to this, they have become somewhat complacent, relying more on their mines on Toiy and concerning themselves somewhat less with the sort of vicious raids they instigated fifty to seventy years ago while recovering from a time in which the Azdgari were almost driven to extinction. It is common opinion amongst most Azdgari that it is time to once again remind the Igadzra and Zidagar of the Azdara’s true powers, and lately the Council of War has increased in its influence dramatically. After some years of contributing only half-heartedly in the Strand War, it seems the Azdgari may be finally considering raising another storm.

Azdgari Colonies

Dames: the great shipyard of the Azdgari people, the moon of Dames is where almost all Azdgari vessels are produced. Its population numbers in the tens of thousands, significantly higher than most of their inhabited worlds but far lower than the colonies on Dirach and even lower than Meagh’s average population.

Xarnes: the most populated of the three moons of Azdgari, the average population of Xarnes is about fifty thousand, although varies widely. The Assembly most commonly meets in Xarnes for council meetings, although this also varies rather a lot.

Veltes: neither the most populated, nor the least populated, of Azdgari’s moons. Veltes is defended by the Azdgari’s largest planetary defence grid. This is partially due to the fact that Veltes, more than any other colony, is absolutely infested with the vicious genetically-engineered animals the Azdgari produce for recreational hunting. Veltes is therefore the second most popular place for Azdgari to hunt, after the infamous Meagh.

Dirach: by far the most populated Azdgari world, Dirach is also home to the majority of the Azdgari females, who live without freedoms amongst the seven pseudo-cities of Dirach. Dirach also houses the second largest shipyard complex of the Azdgari, and is the only reasonable retreat if the Azdgari moons were to be lost. Dirach is a gift to the Azdgari, with fertile mines and a great deal of industry.

Toiy: barely populated, and without any shipyards at all, Toiy is nonetheless riddled with mines. This single planet provides the majority of the Azdgari’s raw resources, excepting raiding. The resources from Toiy are moved to Dirach to be processed. Toiy is occasionally left completely abandoned for years, although for the last decade Toiy has been used heavily, as the Azdgari have been avoiding major confrontation with the other Strands.

Molar: despite its strategic importance, Molar holds a secret that remains unknown to the Zidagar and Igadzra - it is, in fact, barely populated at all. Molar houses a rather large refuelling and rearming base, but has no shipyard of its own, and its average population is around five hundred (although sometimes, Molar lies completely uninhabited, although never undefended in space.)

Muid: the average population of Muid is about two hundred, and its single base is rather small and well protected. Half of the base on Muid is underneath the surface of the earth. Muid has no shipyards and simply serves as a refuelling/rearming post and a safe base from which to instigate raids. It’s a wonder the Azdgari still control this planet - it’s fallen into Zidagar hands more times than anyone cares to remember.

Raigar: the base at Raigar is one of the largest bases, and its average population is almost ten thousand. Raigar also has its own shipyards and has once been used as a final retreat for the Azdgari. As such, there are many abandoned bases and cities on Raigar, which are now either overrun by flora and, more likely, genetically-enhanced fauna.

Meagh: the largest world in terms of diameter populated by the Azdgari, almost a hundred thousand Azdgari live here at any one time. As well as about ten billion different lifeforms engineered by the Azdgari to hunt. Meagh is the perfect example of the Azdgari’s competitive nature gone out of control, and there have actually been colonies on Meagh destroyed by the Azdgari’s creatures. There is no shipyard on Meagh, and a fairly limited industry. For the most part, it is a place of leisure for the Azdgari.

Morin: however important the other Strands may feel Morin is to the Azdgari, they no doubt underestimate its importance, as Morin is inhabited by almost ten thousand Azdgari, most of whom live in underground complexes. Morin is the Azdgari’s most impressive stronghold, and on the ground is it virtually unassailable. There are underground tunnels stretching across the moon, and the profits from Azdgari raids are gathered here and distributed. There is no shipyard on Morin, but a surprisingly healthy underground industry. Morin is sometimes considered the fourth moon of Azdgari.

Diumin: a small world used as little more than a raiding post, with an average population of about three hundred. The only reason the Azdgari continue to hold Diumin is to annoy the Igadzra, and to use it as a base from which to refuel and rearm their ships before raids. Diumin has fallen into Igadzra hands almost as often as Muid has fallen to the Zidagar, and each time the Azdgari return and build a small, unassuming refuelling post at the other side of the planet.

Outpost Rai: originally a renegade station, the Azdgari use Outpost Rai in the same way they use Diumin, and indeed it is very similar (no production, no shipyards, population on average at about a hundred Azdgari). The Azdgari are stunned they still hold Outpost Rai, as those who pass through still regularly have to dodge around the massive explosives planted across the station waiting for the renegades or Igadzra to come. The Azdgari still use this station, however, although are increasingly baffled at how they’ve kept it for almost eight years.

Azdgari Fleet
150 Azdgari Warships, 450 Azdgari Aradas, 1200 Azdaras.
(600 Aradas.)

Per day: 8 Azdgari Warships, 23 Azdgari Aradas, 60 Azdaras

...Dames: 5 Azdgari Warships, 14 Azdgari Aradas, 43 Azdaras
...Dirach: 3 Azdgari Warships, 7 Azdgari Aradas, 12 Azdaras
...Raigar: 2 Azdgari Aradas, 5 Azdaras

This post has been edited by SilverDragon : 09 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

Tomorrow, eh? I'll post something tonight (for real this time). I've been rather busy for the last week.

The Rise of the Voinian Empire

The Voinians are quite the tenacious species. From an early dawn of their evolution, the harsh climate of their homeworld, Voina, has tried in vain to keep them in check, and the high gravity of the world has only served to make the Voinians strong. The Voinians advanced for over a thousand years, wars sprouting up between sides almost constantly. In the end of the ravages of war, one Empire stepped from the clouds of dust, victorious, having crushed all that stood in the way. For centuries the concept of alien races was ignored by the Voinians dismissing such ideas as science fiction. After receiving faint and clearly organized radio signals, however, panic ensued at the possiblity that an Alien race did indeed exist, and that they might prove hostile. Others welcomed the idea of an Alien race, their thirst for blood relieving them of their senses.

A mad rush to the stars began.

Voinian scientists rapidly developed extraordinary engines that could propell a space vessel to break the incredible bonds of Voina's gravitational pull, heavy armor, and of course, powerful weaponry, over the many years that followed. Hopefully enough to defend themselves from this as of yet unseen threat.

A Grand Admiral, a respected Voinian called Borb, convinced the ruling body that it was better to take the initiative and, rather than wait for this threat to emerge, to go find it. The Voinians had no method of discovering where the signals had originated, so Borb lead his battlegroup on an exploration of Voina's surrounding star systems, discovering just how much the Voinians were not alone. He discovered that five other appearantly sentient species dwelled within four mere hyperjumps of Voinia. When he made his report, mentioning how relatively primitive the surrounding races were, the Voinian Council seemed relieved. Still they ordered the annexation of these races, so that they may not one day rise to eliminate Voinian-kind. Grand Admiral Borb was against this action as he thought they ought to save their strength, but with a word from the Emperor, he accepted his duty to carry out the Council's wishes.

Borb left, followed by Voinian Supply Ships carrying fuel and troops for storming the land of his targets. The peoples of the twin moons of Dur and Ala were involved in their own minor interplanetary war - before the Voinians arrived and crushed both sides. The natives of Dieram, in the Dyram system, defied Voinian rule from the start, and over the months the Voinians had, in retribution, exterminated swathes of the population, or had them transported to labour on other worlds. The world called Gualon by the Voinians was conquered while the native's technology was still relatively primitive, and resistance was ruthlessly stamped out and became negligible. It was not long before the people of the Iri system were discovered, annexed, and after proving too rebellious for the Voinians to handle, exterminated, making an example of them to the other slave races. After this initial expansion forming the Voinian Empire, Borb was hailed as a hero, and the first orbital shipyard was named after him, after he'd died of old age.

For a time, things went smoothly. The Empire expanding, constructing massive space stations, and making technological advancement, though due to a lack of necessity, it suffered a slow pace. Yet still, there was more to be done.

In the north, another race was found that had recently achived space flight, started exploring it's solar system, and colonizing one of it's two moons. Without hessitation, the Voinian Council sent a fleet to annex the threat that this species may one day represent. Success was swift and simple yet again.

Another short period of what the Voinians had come to call peace, was interupted by yet another species in the east that had achived advanced space flight, unlike the others. The Empire recognised the immense potential threat of this race, and immediatly a military campiegn launched. Raids were conducted by single warships, destroying freighters and transports. Before long the race that called themselves Humans developed weapons of their own, and even managed to steal and copy the rocket launcher that most Voinian vessels mounted. They developed a destroyer vessel, with shields that were far more advanced than those aboard even Voinian space stations, and speed approching that of Voinian fightercraft. Still, this was not enough, and Voinian fleets continued to push through the Human defenders. The Humans cunningly tricked the Voinian military into thinking that their forces were far weaker than they actually were. This spurred the Voinian Admiral of the time to make a rash offensive into the enemy's homeland itself to crush the Humans once and for all. Human Destroyers, and fighters the Voinians had not seen before swarmed over the hulking Voinian vessels. As much to the humans' surprise as the Voinians' own, the Voinian fleet was destroyed. One third of the Voinian Navy was lost that day. This had proven the largest mistake in the Voinian Empire's history.
To make matters worse, when vessels were pulled from the north to support this offensive, the slaves there staged a successful rebellion, and forced their masters out of the system.

In recent times, the Humans have advanced their technology to match that of the Empire, and the former slaves in the north, the Emalgha, are managing to hold their ground with simple wooden ships, a testament to the approching collapse of the mighty Voinian Empire...

I'm here posting my intent to play. I'll be a human mercenary faction.

Faction: North Tip Renegades
Main characters: Rago, Vaten, Laszlo

Time for one of them traditional IC expositions...:)

======================

“Hail, Rago!” was the first thing he heard as he walked into the Councilroom. I could get used to being the Leader , he thought. He recalled how he had come into power. It had been fairly typical of other, more bureaucratic governments -- he had assassinated the previous Leader -- but what was odd was that he had done it in plain sight, in the Room. That was how things were done on The Rock; if you wanted something done, you went and did it. No sneaking around.

Except for Vaten, of course. Nobody quite knew who he was. He was rumored to be of Adzgari descent, and you could almost see it in the shape of his face...but there was something else. Something of the Miranu...of the Zachit. A Rocker could smell a Zacha from a mile away, so Vaten had become a spy. The spy, for that matter. He flew a modified black Crescent Fighter, but what he really longed for was an Azdara. Not much chance of that now, of course...but he could always hope.

Rago looked around the Room. There was Laszlo, as always, perched up in the shadows in a crevice at the top of the room. Laszlo was Rago’s enforcer, born on New Taranto. He had ended up in one of the famed Saalian penitentiaries at the age of twenty, but had somehow escaped, commandeered some poor merchant’s shuttle, and left UE space. Two months later, his battered shuttle crawled into Mirava, where he spent a few weeks in a hospital. He fixed up the shuttle the best that he could (didn’t want to have to go to the trouble of stealing another ship), and went looking for the local renegades. Well, he had found them, all right.

Rago himself hailed from North Tip Station, born and raised a pirate. His parents were Strandless outcasts, and being that they were from different strands, he was an Adzgari-Zidagar mongrel. Rago flew a heavily modified black Arada, always with Laszlo at his side.

The Leader snapped out his reverie and headed for his seat. He saw Pike scowling at him, but that was nothing out of the ordinary. It was time for another morning in the Room.

======================

The NTs aren’t as organized as having a Council makes them seem. The Council organizes and controls formal raiding groups, but has no way (and doesn’t even try) to stop random renegades from making raids on their own. If they get killed, no loss; if they survive, there’s a good chance they’ll be impressed into the main military body of the NTs. Seeing as that’s every true Rocker’s dream from they day they first fly...there are a whole lot of raids going on.

Can we modify existing ships and use them as standard? For example, I raid a lot, so I want my fighters and Aradas to use swivel phase cannons instead of standard.

And what's the stance on new tech and research?

Since Vice Admiral Ipvicus allowed my to swtich my Turncoats from carriers to warships, yeah, it's allowed.

(Hell, all of my ships are modified.)

Ryuu, on Feb 9 2005, 05:31 AM, said:

Since Vice Admiral Ipvicus allowed my to swtich my Turncoats from carriers to warships, yeah, it's allowed.

(Hell, all of my ships are modified.)
View Post

Mercenaries are a bit different than other players. Since they've got the ability to research and upgrade throughout the story they don't start out with any modifications pas what they already have in game.

Alright. What follows is a rather large post about all the various things I've worked on with the Igadzra. Please pardon any typos and whatnot that I might have made, I wrote it kinda fast.

Igadzra Culture

Although often the Igadzra are characterized as an ultra-paranoid race constantly on the break of assassinating each other, this viewpoint often comes from those who get a skewed view of the culture simply because they are non-Igadzra. As such, only an Igadzra can get an accurate portrayal of this culture.

A somewhat closed society, the Igadzra do not readily welcome outsiders, shunning the outside world from interfering in their lives. Paranoid? Perhaps, but more likely a kind of cautiousness that is common in all Igadzra. Caution, and a careful calculating view on problems is a good characterization of them as well.

Although seemingly quiet, silently going about their work (and carefully observing the goings on around them), the Igadzra are in fact a very passionate people on the inside. They feel a strong loyalty to the species as a whole. While there will always be individual conflicts and suspicions, the Igadzra never waiver from their overall viewpoint that the good of the species is greater than the good of the one. As well, they are incredibly stubborn. A firm, strong stubbornness to accept defeat or withdraw whenever they have set their mind to something. Of course, this can sometimes be a flaw, but in the long run it seems to have suited them well.

Religiously, the Igadzra lack a homogenous religion like others might have. In fact, there are about thirty one major religions amongst the Igadzra. Each Igadzra follows the religion of his or her choice, with about 80% of the Igadzra belonging to one religion or another. Although firm in their beliefs, the Igadzra make sure not to allow their religion to unduly alter their actions (as dictated by such laws passed by the government).

The Directorate, the ruling body of the Igadzra, has had in place for some time now a socialistic economy system, however still allowing a small degree of individual choice. The government itself is power and strict, firmly set in place as the ruling body and never being challenged, at least not by any sane Igadzra brave enough to defy them and risk almost certain death. The Directorate has always made a policy of monitoring it's citizens, with almost a kind of "Big Brother" mentality. The Igadzra enjoy many freedoms, such as the right to possess weapons (which almost every Igadzra has), but in many ways they are also limited. There is a long list of strict laws that the Directorate has put in place. The Igadzra merely accept this, being used to such stringent law.

Brief Overview of Igadzra History

Historically, the Igadzra broke off from the other strands first, retreating deep into the galactic southwest and not being heard from for some time. During this time, they built up their fleet, and by the time the Great War truly broke out in a full-fledged conflict, they were a dangerous force to be reckoned with. They might have even overwhelmed the other strands in the Second Battle of Grooz, if it weren't for the unexpected arrival of a Zidagar armada, which caught the Igadzra between them and the Azdgari Raiders. They were forced to retreat, which allowed the other strands to regroup their forces and push the Igadzra back.

The Igadzra still remained a powerful foe. They bore a deep resentment for the opposing strands. The initial reasons for war seemed unimportant as it raged on. The sole thing that mattered was victory. That, combined with extremely power-hungry leaders, lead the Igadzra to continue to attack even when they could not afford it.

In the Third Battle of Grooz, the Zidagar soundly crushed an Igadzran fleet. At the same time, the Azdgari, in a daring mood typical of their people, launched heavy raids deep into Igadzra space, which sent them reeling back in retreat. New leaders came to power who advocated a more defensive policy, leaving the Azdgari and Zidagar to skirmish on their own.

It was many years before the Igadzra became a definite threat. What followed was almost three decades of Igadzran victories over the other strands which, although the strategic victories were not all-important, boosted the spirit of the Igadzran people.

Fate, however, changed this string of victories, when a terrible plague struck Innor. An Igadzran armada had been stationed their, preparing to invade Zidagar space. Many military officers and soldiers were killed. The Zidagar, learning of this, launched themselves at the Igadzra, destroying much of the undermanned armada before they could be driven off. This was followed by a defeat from the Azdgari in the Elder system.

Ever since then, the Igadzra have seen few victories of any importance. They seem content to guard their own territory as best they can, but the other strands know the Igadzra are never ones to lie dormant, and it is only a matter of time before they climb out of their hole of depression once again.

Igadzra Physical Appearance

Physically, the Igadzra are tall and muscular, with powerful limbs. Their bodies are covered in short fur, varying in color from bronze to rust brown to dark grey. The skin underneath is a greyish-brown shade. On their scalp the Igadzra have long flowing hair, coming in a variety of colors: dark grey, bronze, and sometimes light brown or black. Although commonly used elsewhere, Igadzra soldiers in particular always put their hair into long dreadlocks, which hang loose from their heads. In a similar fashion, those in the navy do the same, except they then put the locks into a pony tail of sorts.

Their ears are close to the sides of their head, not sticking out, and pointed. Although having only an average sense of smell, the Igadzra have excellent hearing, and sharp eyes as well. The eyes are more thin and slitty than human eyes, the main colors being purple, crimson, and golden, the last of the three being more common among peasants.

Having purple blood and golden colored teeth, the Igadzra also have an extremely high tolerance for pain, and are physically quite sturdy and durable. Hard to kill quickly, Igadzra marines in particular have a reputation for being quite stubborn, even after having received multiple hits from enemy weapons.

As an aside, it is interesting to note that few members of the other strands have actually seen the face of an Igadzra in-person. In line with their isolationist nature, almost all Igadzra in the military wear some sort of facial concealment: whether it be a combat helmet or something as simple bandana tied around to hide most of their face. Of course, pictures are no doubt available, but most are after the subject was killed in combat. Igadzran vessels even lack a view screen, and their voices are generally subject to computerized distortion.

Igadzra Military

The Igadzra military, as a whole, is technically denoted as the IDM; Igadzra Directorate Military. Within the overall military, there are three main divisions. The Navy, the Army, and the Marines.

The Navy consists of those in command and in operation of starships. The Army consists of those on the ground. The Marines are a branch off of both the Army of the Navy, and consist of the troops who are permanently stationed aboard starships. Although often aiding the Army in planetary landings, the Marines for the most part remain on ships. As such, they are a fairly small branch of the military, but nonetheless important. There is also a smaller division of the Marines designated as the Special Forces, and used for extremely important missions that no other soldier is usually trained and equipped for.

The Army itself has two main divisions. The purely military branch, and those who are given the task of police duty on planets (the latter being the smaller of the two).

One interesting aspect of Igadzran vessels that set them apart from others is the lack of a viewscreen. Instead, those who need to see outside (higher ranking officers, such as the captain, executive officer, and chief tactical officer) wear a special headset with a small "mini-viewscreen" in front of their eye. The tactical officers have a modified version which is larger and shows in front of both eyes. The wearer "sees" whatever is outside the vessel in the direction they are looking. Some command vessels will have a holo-imaging device installed on the bridge which displays the battle as a 3-D projection.

The statistics for the Igadzran Navy are as follows:

200 Igazras
600 Aradas
300 Freight-Laziras (unarmed)

Production statistics per RTD are as follows:

10 Igazras
30 Aradas

Statistics for Igadzra Warships are as follows:

IGAZRA
Shield Capacity: 5,000
Shield Regeneration: 500
Structural Integrity: 400
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 6 jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 48 hours / hyperlink (2 dph)
Hyper-jump Rate: Slow
Maximum Cruise Speed: 260
Acceleration Thrust: 275
Lateral Thrust Power: 2
Fixed Weapon Mounts: 6
Turreted Weapon Mounts: 6
Vessel Mass: 300 tons
Vessel Length: 275 meters
Weapon Space: 80 tons
Cargo Capacity: 80 tons
Minimum Crew: 60
Weaponry:
1. 4x Phase Turrets
2. 3 SAE Launchers + 30 Ammo
3. 2 Dispersal Rocket Launchers + 10 Ammo

ARADA
Shield Capacity: 600
Shield Regeneration: 100
Structural Integrity: 100
Hpyerdrive Power Capacity: 5 Jumps
Hyperdrive Speed: 24 hours / hyperlink (1 dph)
Hyper-jump Rate: Fast
Maximum Cruise Speed: 600
Acceleration Thrust: 600
Lateral Thrust Power: 4
Fixed Weapon Mounts: 4
Turreted Weapon Mounts: 2
Vessel Mass: 30 tons
Vessel Length: 35 meters
Weapon Space: 80 tons
Cargo Capacity: 40 tons
Minimum Crew: 3
Weaponry:
1. 3x Swivel Phase Cannons
2. 2x Rear Phase Cannons
3. 1 SAE Launcher + 10 Ammo

Just so you guys know, I'm about half done with my intro post, and I'll have it finished tonight. Hope you're all chomping at the bit to get started.

Well, it might be a bit late, but, if it is okay, I think I'd like to join as a mercenary. I might not be able to post very often for the first week or so, but I think that I'd be able to pick up after that.
If I am accepted, I'll post my information.

To get in the spirit of things I'll post a background too
---
History and Politics
Feviry has long been under sttrandless control, devoid of all but the most basic resources it was a perfect place for the Igadzra to send political disidents without starting another rennegade faction to contend with. Things went along rather smoothly until the Miranu Fashion Industry took intrest in the native 'fuzzes' of Ursula, the result was like dropping a bombshell. The already rather rebellious strandless inhabitants of Ursula and its moon Nimor finally had a way to vent thier frustration by devoting themselves to saving the fuzzes from the 'slezeebag' Miranu fuzz-traders. Because they only stole fuzzes, and even then released them immediately afterward they could not be officially labeled as rennegades, instead they were branded as domestic terrorists. Over time the fuzz-loving inhabitants drew supporters to thier cause, and refugees from many strandless worlds slowly trickled into the system to join the fight. After a while the much of the population united under a single political party: the Fuzz Liberation Front (FLF). The Miranu Trade Conglomeration (MTC) would not accept losing a potential cash-fuzz and set fourth plans to establish a power-base to control the fuzzes for themselves. The Igadzra would have liked a Miranu trading base closer to thier territory, but the fact that they were only after the fuzzes ment that the Igadzra themselves would gain no benifit from the act. Rennegades also came, hoping to raid the juicy holds of miranu frieghters, but they and the Miranu traders were turned back by a handful of Igadzra patrols sent to keep order in the Feviry system. This act put Feviry unofficially under the protection of the Igadzra Policing Forces, who turned a blind eye to the activities of the would-be fuzz-saviors. As time progressed the FLF grew in political strength, and has reached a peak of 3/4 control of the abysmally small government that the inhabitants established, making any attempt at political office nigh-on impossible without the FLF's support. The small space navy that Nimor services consists of nothing more than a dozen crecent fighters, four aradas, and a pair of miranu couriers. Needless to say, most of the FLF's military support comes from mercinaries, but the Igadzra are always ready to crush a few pesky rennegades. The Democratic government has two branches: the Representation and the Administration. The Representation acts much like a senate, and has 108 members. The Administration is akin to the president and his cabinet, only each one is a minister of a seperate affair.

The Admistration

Minister of Internal Affairs
The Minister of Internal Affairs deals with natural resources, economics, internal politics, future planning, and keeping the rest of the administration in line. As with all Ministers, the decisions of the current holder of the position can be overruled if 1/3 or more of the Administration and 1/3 the Representation agree to a veto.

Current Holder of Office:
Gregory N. Garette

This human is a bit out-of-place on Nimor, but having a strong political mind none the less. A former refugee from the nearby system of Sumer, he hitched a ride with a merchant and settled down on Ursula's small (and only) moon. Barely winning in the previous election he seeks to gain greater favor in the eyes of the FLF, a daunting task that will require drastic measures.

Minister of External Affairs
The Minister of Extternal Affairs deals with trading, treaties, spywork, the possibility of expansion, and generaly doing anything not within the confines of the Feviry system.

Kjole Rten

This former miranu merchant is the apex of irony within the Administration. Born on Kitrak this former CEO of a once-prosperous Miranu Trading Company was edged out by the MTC and his accomplishments dissolved before his very eyes. Very bitter about the loss, he uses the MTC's corruption against it--using his contacts for smuggling money, supplies, and information on a regular basis. Sees the FLF as a perfect outlet for his revenge.

Minister of Science and Engeneering
The Minister of Science and Engeneering oversees the construction of government projects, maintains order within privatized construction, distributes funds to scientific development, and regulates copyright practtices.

Razel Cayole

A Zidigar idealist and former resident of the world Neholl. When this Anti-'Children of Zid' contracter gained too much popular support among his comrades he was immediately exiled, even his option to 'reedeem' himself by working in the Twynus mines was revoked. Strongly loyal to his race, he hopes he can at least weaken the corroption that taints his homeland in his lifetime.

Minister of the Militia
The Minister of the Militia has the sole purpose of lording over all things millitary, domestic or otherwise. Services are rarely needed, but that might change in future days...

Current holder of Office:
Iagrez Rvnei

Azdgari-Igadzra Half-bred with a 10-year service record policing Igadzra space. While he was generally distrusted by his fellows he was and is fearcely loyal to his race, and managed to maintain his position for a considerable amount of time before his 'Chaotic Genious' was deemed a potential hazzard and was shipped off to Feviry to 'keep the locals in line' . His combat skills are matched only by his weakness for cookies.