Plug-in doesn't work.

I just downloaded the plug-in E2 - Dark Horizons (Empire 2) and when I put the plug into EV it doesn't change anything. Using command+I to get info on the plug it says the type is just document, while for other plugs I have it says Escape Velocity document. Any ideas why it won't work?

Oh yeah, I have tried redownloading it.

This post has been edited by Omicron : 10 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

@omicron, on Jan 10 2008, 04:13 PM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

I just downloaded the plug-in E2 - Dark Horizons (Empire 2) and when I put the plug into EV it doesn't change anything. Using command+I to get info on the plug it says the type is just document, while for other plugs I have it says Escape Velocity document. Any ideas why it won't work?

Oh yeah, I have tried redownloading it.

Did you decompress/expand/unzip it properly?
Try stuffit. (the latest version)

Try downloading a plug-in editor, opening the file and saving it to set the document type.

Also, it is in the plug-ins folder, right?

This post has been edited by -REDCHIGH- : 10 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

Welcome to the boards, Omicron.

Most of the Empire games have more than one file to install, and all will have the same icon.

Also, make sure you don't have any existing plug-ins in your EV Plug-Ins folder (other than E2).

If you still have trouble un-stuffing/zipping, maybe someone can download it and unstuff it for you.

Good luck. 🙂

Ok, thanks -REDCHIGH- and Callide for responding, I downloaded the latest version of stuffit and unstuffed it again and now it works. By the way, it was in the plug-in folder, I'm not that big a fool. 😉

This post has been edited by Omicron : 11 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

@omicron, on Jan 11 2008, 09:48 AM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

Ok, thanks -REDCHIGH- and Callide for responding, I downloaded the latest version of stuffit and unstuffed it again and now it works. By the way, it was in the plug-in folder, I'm not that big a fool. 😉

Oh, I wasn't calling you a fool at all. It just seems like the most obvious problems are the ones I always miss. (I'm guilty of almost posting a glitch in a plug, before I realized I was missing a file...)

Glad we could help.
And yea, welcome to the boards.

@omicron, on Jan 11 2008, 07:48 AM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

You're welcome. Glad it was an easy fix.

Remember, since you're new to the boards, posting wise, we have no idea what you do or don't know. 🙂

If or when you finish E5, Heart of Darkness, I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of it.

Now, go get me a muffin!

@-redchigh-, on Jan 11 2008, 09:50 AM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

Oh, I wasn't calling you a fool at all. It just seems like the most obvious problems are the ones I always miss.

That's one of the drawbacks of troubleshooting. You either mention something simple like "is it plugged in?" and they think you're calling them dumb, or you don't, and it's not plugged in and you spend far too much time trying more complicated things only to find it wasn't plugged in. For the sake of time, it's always better to start with the simplest things, from the bottom up, and if you have trouble with something and are getting help, be as clear as possible and provide as much relevant information as you can. That usually solves things the fastest. Just a random thought. 🙂

Cham

Random? Random is "Gerbils inhaler wire counterweighted woven monkey on page D72." Your comment, on the other hand, was spot on the money. Good point, well made.

@dr--trowel, on Jan 12 2008, 02:51 PM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

Random? Random is "Gerbils inhaler wire counterweighted woven monkey on page D72." Your comment, on the other hand, was spot on the money. Good point, well made.

Gerbils. Heh.

And I agree, Chamrin's point is well made.

@callide, on Jan 13 2008, 03:21 AM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

Gerbils. Heh.

And I agree, Chamrin's point is well made.

He always has good points 🙂

This post has been edited by undead_shadow : 16 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

@chamrin, on Jan 12 2008, 05:54 AM, said in Plug-in doesn't work.:

That's one of the drawbacks of troubleshooting. You either mention something simple like "is it plugged in?" and they think you're calling them dumb, or you don't, and it's not plugged in and you spend far too much time trying more complicated things only to find it wasn't plugged in. For the sake of time, it's always better to start with the simplest things, from the bottom up, and if you have trouble with something and are getting help, be as clear as possible and provide as much relevant information as you can. That usually solves things the fastest. Just a random thought. 🙂

Cham

That happened to my dad once. He and the Autoparts guy, Jeff, were going into really complicated stuff just to find out the headlights weren't tight.