What EV/EVO has...

...many good TCs and scenario expansions.

@scratskinner, on May 4 2006, 05:07 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

What I mean is how to make it so the Nova engine can do random missions to/from transient spobs.

There is no difficulty with from transient spöbs. As for to transient spöbs, it is possible, but it isn't pretty. I've done it as an add-on to Guy's EVO Port (see this and subsequent posts), but it's not easy to set up, and depending on the universe, it may not be possible to set up invisibly for all affected systems (basically, you need to know that the player has visited the system before it changes, otherwise it might spontaneously become explored when it changes).

And I agree with Callide and UE R&D. I'm quite glad that I decided to buy EVO, even though I did so several years after EVN was released. It was fun playing all the old TCs and large plugs.

Edwards

Am I the only one who thinks the engine in EV:N isn't... quite right? I mean compared to say, in EVC, when you can have a long, grueling, strafing battle between a small fighter like a rapier/lightning and a large cruiser, or in EVO where a pair of capital ships can spend several minutes hammering each other at close range before a victor is determined. The winner in EVN, no matter how large the ships are or what the scenario is, seems to be whoever presses the trigger first.

@satori, on May 3 2006, 08:58 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

You can do a chaff launcher. Short range PD weapon with low speed but long linger.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but decoy flares would pull it off better.

@lizard, on May 13 2006, 03:05 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

Am I the only one who thinks the engine in EV:N isn't... quite right? I mean compared to say, in EVC, when you can have a long, grueling, strafing battle between a small fighter like a rapier/lightning and a large cruiser, or in EVO where a pair of capital ships can spend several minutes hammering each other at close range before a victor is determined. The winner in EVN, no matter how large the ships are or what the scenario is, seems to be whoever presses the trigger first.

It probably has something to do with the "standoff tactics" flag.

What's the the standoff tactics flag again?

Ship will fire long-range weapons at maximum range, and try to keep at maximum range at all times (turning around and running if you get close).

Unconfined non-linearity. Agh, Nova just places you in a story track to do one after the other. Oh, and only systems at the periphery of the galaxy are dead-ends. And more non-story missions! All the federation courier missions in Nova are deliver from one place to the other, and you can't see where the other is on the map until you pick-up the cargo. Just not an EV game.

EVO is, hands down, the greatest game out of the EV series (in my opinion). The reason for me was there is so much more to do. I did most every thing to do in EVN in about 2 weeks. EVO, i can go for a awhile (my ADD thanks me). All if the different missions and goverments. It's awesome. And the weapons, they all are good, for different things. Unlike EVN when you have your increadably suckey weapons and the extremely good ones. I could go on and on. But that would take to long.

how could u forget?????

Forget what?

@nelsonic, on May 23 2006, 01:26 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

EVO is, hands down, the greatest game out of the EV series (in my opinion). The reason for me was there is so much more to do. I did most every thing to do in EVN in about 2 weeks. EVO, i can go for a awhile (my ADD thanks me). All if the different missions and goverments. It's awesome. And the weapons, they all are good, for different things. Unlike EVN when you have your increadably suckey weapons and the extremely good ones. I could go on and on. But that would take to long.

What about EVC?

It has difficulty earning money. EVN does not have this.

Also, combined shields and armor, with recharge calculated in percent of total per second, not separate ones with set recharge for each.

Simplicity. Plain and simple simplicity. And everything depended on skill, with it being HARD to survive during the early stages. A base delivery mission in EVO only offered 5000 creds! And you could't survive against a Kestrel in a Lightning, even if you shot first. In Nova, I could defeat an Auroran Cruiser with a Pirate Thunderhead just by taking it by surprise. And there were no alien races. The Aurorans and Polaris are all humans by ancestry. EVO had 3 alien races. The Strands I consider one race because they are different only by culture, while EVC had one.

@3ch0f0urn1n3733n, on Jun 12 2006, 02:41 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

In Nova, I could defeat an Auroran Cruiser with a Pirate Thunderhead just by taking it by surprise. And there were no alien races. The Aurorans and Polaris are all humans by ancestry. EVO had 3 alien races. The Strands I consider one race because they are different only by culture, while EVC had one.

EVO also had the Hinwar, Voinians, Strand, and the Emalgha.
EVN had the Waith as the only true alien race. The krypt were the Vell-os which are humans by ancestry.

EV has 1.
EVO has 4.
EVN has 1.

Actually EVN as two. It has wraith and hyperoids, as while as TCTLIDS, which were planned but never implemented.

EV and EVN are the only ones where the aliens are truly alien , which I like. In EVC they're about as scary an entity as the technical level of the game permits; bizarre-looking, powerful, unwilling to communicate, and intent on destroying everything in their path. EVO's aliens are of the Star Trek variety where they look and act like people, including speaking English. Better for plot purposes, I suppose, but not the sort of thing that's likely to actually be out there.

Correction: EVO has FIVE alien races. Strand, Hinwar, Voinians, Miranu adn the Emalgha, not counting the races conquered and enslaved by the Voinians.

EVC:1(obvious)

EVN:2

^ Truth.

The EVO aliens were pretty laughable when it comes to their total and unquestioning acceptance of outsiders. I don't know about you, but if some strange alien suddenly showed up on my doorstep in an armed ship asking for permission to land, I'd probably show him the quickest way out of the system, if you know what I mean. At least the other human "races" in EVN had a good excuse in that they all share a common ancestry, and even then, the Polarans weren't exactly friendly, IIRC.

bizarre-looking, powerful, unwilling to communicate, and intent on destroying everything in their path.

Why do I suddenly think of the Shivans from D:FS. Now those guys were badass.

EDIT:
3ch0F0urN1n3733n: I thought Miranu were Strand? It seems strange for the Xachit to work for them otherwise.

This post has been edited by Iodine : 19 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

@lnsu, on Jun 18 2006, 09:33 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

Actually EVN as two. It has wraith and hyperoids, as while as TCTLIDS, which were planned but never implemented.

Hyperioids aren’t sentient; if you’re going to include them, then you would also have to count cunjos, knup-knups, and all such things. I suppose you could count Those Who Came Before for EV Nova , since their influence is felt even though they’re long-dead in the time of the game’s plot.

I thought Miranu were Strand? It seems strange for the Xachit to work for them otherwise.

No, the Miranu are a separate species, though there is plenty of cultural and technological cross-pollination between them and the Strands. The Zachit are a force created by the Miranu to protect their space, and employ anyone who’s appropriate; many of them come from the Strand race, but they’ll also employ humans (as the Zachit storyline proves) and have one member from beyond the Crescent. You can tell the Strands by the fact that their names are all anagrams of each other (Azdgari, Zidagar, Igadzra, and also Gadzair, the dead planet orbited by Council Station, which is quite likely their original homeworld).

This post has been edited by David Arthur : 21 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Right. I think I got the Zachit confused with something other mercenary group from another game I'm playing. I was under the impression that the Zachit was composed entirely of Strand pilots.

Any ideas how the Strand war started?