What EV/EVO has...

I have plenty of ideas.

Zaniness. Sure, EVN has Drop Bears and system names that spell out lines from a LOTR poem, but it doesn't have aliens on a ski lift, a trade route for "placards," or a hermit on an (otherrwise) uninhabited moon.

@dr--trowel, on Jun 24 2006, 10:59 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

a hermit on an (otherwise) uninhabited moon.

Which comes out of his house jabbering his @$$ off without even realising that you can't understand Voinian.

Well, I am unsure about EVO and EVN, but EVC has the forklift!!

@percy, on Jun 25 2006, 04:54 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

Well, I am unsure about EVO and EVN, but EVC has the forklift!!

🙂 Nerd beat you to that one:

@nerd, on Apr 22 2006, 10:38 AM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

Forklift.

It's in both EVC & EVO, but isn't in EVN.

Another thing removed (or "fixed," for those who prefer that their apps do their thinking for them :p) is the ability to easily make one-way links between systems (as seen in the Babylon 5 TC, for instance).

EV and EVO both have the ability to map out jump-routes. Dang I miss that every time I play Nova.

And.. well, I don't know, the EV universe just seems more of a universe. Even if it does have far fewer systems.

@celestial-storm, on Jun 28 2006, 06:41 AM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

EV and EVO both have the ability to map out jump-routes. Dang I miss that every time I play Nova.

eh, you can map out a route before you jump it, hold down the shift key. or are you refering to something else?

It's the same, isn't it? Hold shift?

Yes, but in EV/EVO you could overlap your jump routes--in EVN, if you set a course to enter a system more than once every jump planned for after initially entering the system is forgotten.

Also, the EVN engine is too custom-tailored to the stock scenario. In EV/EVO, developers found all sorts of wierd and useful undocumented features by entering in values that differ from the norm. In EVN, the engine tends to either 'fix' the 'error', or just crash outright. Although Nova added many additional documented features, they were limited in their ability to expand beyond thier intended purpose.

Ooooh...

Haven't played Nova enough to know that.

@cippy, on Apr 21 2006, 03:11 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

EV and EVO can run on my old Centris 650.

EVN... nah.

There it is! You don't need a Big Screen monitor to run EV or EVO. Somewhere around here, I have a bought and paid for copy of EV No Va that I'll load and run if I ever get rich enough to purchase a replacement for my old "pizza box" Mac with a small monitor. While EVN is advertised as running on "any Mac," Ambrosia doesn't mention that there is a certain minimum screen size...

Coyote

In an ally, considerations of house, clan, planet, race are insignificant beside two prime questions, which are:
1. Can he shoot?
2. Will he aim at your enemy?
--- From Cantra yos'Phelium's Log Book

I think it DOES mention... Check the EVN website.

@3ch0f0urn1n3733n, on Jul 15 2006, 07:40 PM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

I think it DOES mention... Check the EVN website.

Yes, these days I believe that it does. But - to the best of my recollection - all they said when EVN first came out was that it would run on any Macintosh. Nothing was mentioned about monitor size. Not even Tech Support could help me at first (keep in mind that this was a couple of years ago).

Coyote

Gib mir Schokolade und niemand wird verletzt sein!

@coyote-jack, on Jul 14 2006, 01:21 AM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

There it is! You don't need a Big Screen monitor to run EV or EVO. Somewhere around here, I have a bought and paid for copy of EV No Va that I'll load and run if I ever get rich enough to purchase a replacement for my old "pizza box" Mac with a small monitor. While EVN is advertised as running on "any Mac," Ambrosia doesn't mention that there is a certain minimum screen size...

Coyote

Umm... No. The requirements were always quite clear:

Requires: 128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later (Mac OS X native!)
Intel: Compatible
Windows: Direct X 7, Quicktime 5.0, Pentium 400mhz or higher, 64 Meg memory for Win95/98 and 128 meg memory for Windows 2000 or Windows

Believe me, I knew it wouldn't run on the Centris when it came out. EVO barely worked. I only glanced at the requirements, but I remember thinking that will never happen. "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later" doesn't sound like "any Mac". Perhaps any Mac made after EVN's release date, but definitely not any Mac.

Also, I've never seen this advertisement. And I usually pay attention to Ambrosia's doings.

@cippy, on Jul 17 2006, 07:57 AM, said in What EV/EVO has...:

Umm... No. The requirements were always quite clear:
Believe me, I knew it wouldn't run on the Centris when it came out. EVO barely worked. I only glanced at the requirements, but I remember thinking that will never happen. "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later" doesn't sound like "any Mac". Perhaps any Mac made after EVN's release date, but definitely not any Mac.

Also, I've never seen this advertisement. And I usually pay attention to Ambrosia's doings.

I'm still in the process of unpacking after a very disruptive move, but I think that I ran across something (my snail mail post card with my code?) dated about '02. I had just gotten the money to replace the old wood burning Mac+ that I had used since about '86 with a second-hand 7500/100 (recently upgraded with a G3 chip), and you are quite correct. Not even the original EV 1.0 would have run on a Mac+! Fortunately, I worked the graveyard shift in the prepress department of a printing company, so I could play games on the (at the time) Mac IIs and later the G3s we had whenever the deadlines slacked off. Unfortunatly, the jobs slacvked off to the point that they finally laid off the 3d shift (me) in late '02, so I never had the chance to play EVN.

So...I'll back off on the "any Mac" claim. Obviously none of the Ambrosia games would have run on any machine that didn't have at least a color board/monitor and a lot of RAM. At the time, I was still on AOL and I recall that the RAM requirement was a constant complaint on the Ambrosia board there.

Coyote thanks Destroyer E for the memory update. <grin>
-----------------------------------------------
The prayers of most religions generally praise and thank the gods involved, either out of general piety or in the hope that he or she will take the hint and start acting responsibly.
---Terry Pratchett, "Eric"