Which is better, Confeds or Rebels?

The problem a lot of you have when comparing the Rebel & Fed Cruisers is that you judge them in terms of how good their NPC forms are. Bad.

Personlly, I judge ships by how well a player can use them to a highly destructive effect.

When you compare them that way, I give top marks to the Rebel Cruiser for impressive weapon space while retaining a better measure of speed than the Fed Cruiser by far.

If there was EVMP and I was controlling a Rebel Cruiser modified my way, and somebody else had a Fed Cruiser outfitted his way, I'd kick that Fed hide clear across the galaxy. 🙂

Judge ships by how good they are to fly, not by how well the dumb & stupid AI controls them.

UEC

------------------

Perhaps 'hostile' was not the best word. 'Condescending', perhaps?

Ah, well. I won't give the subject any thought. 😉
-Neutronic

------------------
There is a fine line between having an attitude problem and thinking clearly.

Originally posted by Neutronic:
**Perhaps 'hostile' was not the best word. 'Condescending', perhaps?

Ah, well. I won't give the subject any thought. 😉
-Neutronic

Good, good. Glad to hear it. Anyway, I guess one becomes condescending when one is enjoying life so much. And don't think I'll stop either, either! (sorry)

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

I hope this topic doesn't just die. Try to get it to 200 posts. Everyone post who you think is better before this topic goes under.

------------------
I did really good on my driver's exam. I knocked down all the cones.

Originally posted by Desert Fox:

**I hope this topic doesn't just die. Try to get it to 200 posts. Everyone post who you think is better before this topic goes under.

This topic reached it's peak in late January. Everyone has spoken their opinon already. Hell, this was the first topic I posted in. Were're all sick of it.

Let's start a new topic in this same thread:

Which missile submarine (boomer) is better, the Russian Typhoon or the American Ohio?

------------------
"You can make something idiot proof, but someone else can make a better idiot"

AIM/AOL-Nador26

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost")http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost(/url)

Rebals because of the cloke that can pop out of no where a blast the conf. to HELL!

Originally posted by OctoberFost:

Originally posted by Desert Fox:

**I hope this topic doesn't just die. Try to get it to 200 posts. Everyone post who you think is better before this topic goes under.

This topic reached it's peak in late January. Everyone has spoken their opinon already. Hell, this was the first topic I posted in. Were're all sick of it.

Let's start a new topic in this same thread:

Which missile submarine (boomer) is better, the Russian Typhoon or the American Ohio?

I'd go with the Ohio.=P

------------------
Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done

[http://www.metallica.com](http://www.metallic<br />
a.com)

Originally posted by alen:
Rebals because of the cloke that can pop out of no where a blast the conf. to HELL!

This is the kind of newbies CF was talking about and that seem to make Nador mad.

------------------
Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done

a.com)

About the origional topic: Every time I've seen a Rebel Cruiser and a Fed Cruiser go at it, the Rebs won. Same with the Manta and Patrol Ship (the Manta @$$rapes the Patrol Ship every time). Between the Destroyer and Frigate though, the fridge usually wins.

Interesting.

------------------
I like people. They taste like chicken.

Interesting indeed. Pro-Rebel people say that Rebel ships win; Pro-Confeds say that their ships win. I wonder why...

------------------
Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done

a.com)

Greetings everyone,
This dispute has quite gotten out of hand and I hope this input will help in some way. (P.S. I am a registered player but have my EV and EVO password lost, anyway..)In my years of EV I've done many things. I haven't done amazing things like killing Matt Burch in a shuttlecraft(Quite unbelievable, I'll tip my hat to the person who did it) or destroying an Alien Fighter with a luxury liner but I do know the many differences between the Feds and the Rebels. This will be quite lengthy so don't fall asleep (or pass out). Let me just say first that I support the Feds but I still like the Rebels due to their Star Warsish nature. Ships are more important than living in different planets so expect a power-packed comparison.

ROUND 1 (Fighters department)
Mantas are solid cute little ships (Samosas!) with a missile or two. Against a patrol ship (keep in mind that this is AI vs AI), the missile plays all the difference. If one fighter pulls off both missiles in succession, the other one is toast. If they lose all their missiles , the patrol ship will usually win due to the proton bolts. Normally speed isn't that important because they'll both blaze past each other. Very evenly matched but I guess they'll kill each other (clowns). Against a gunboat is very similar except that in the rare occasion that they line up, you will hear a rocket and smell a fried samosa. The manta should do fine if it sticks to it's missiles.
WINNER: Nobody. They are all pretty even matched. I hate secondary weapons that need reloading.

ROUND 2 (Frigate vs Destroyer)
Don't you love these sea ship names? I LOVE it when a computer controlled destroyer and frigate go head to head with no cheating.It sounds like this...torpedo....torpedo..torpedo...rocket!..proton turrets (budda budda budda)...repeat. Anyho, (I'm sorry Fed people) The destroyer wins most of the time. I'll tell you why....

Speed and turning rate: Critical for an AI controlled ship to pull off it's secondary weapons. The rebel destroyer usually gets in one more torpedo in due to his turning rate. A computer controlled ship needs a certain distance or else it can't fire off it's secondary weapons and there are times on fly-bys where the frigate can't even fire a torpedo due to the speed of the destroyer.

Shields and weaponry: Okay...50 points more shields for the frigate. 1 EXTRA TURRET SPACE for the destroyer! For a secondary weapon hater like me...it's..it's heaven. Alright, back to reality, the stupid rebels didn't have the foresight(or brains) to install all four turrets so AI destroyers only have 2 so turret-wise...they are both equal. However..the destroyer has the capability of hitting the slow moving frigate with all it's secondary weapons. The poor frigates do the same but to a less extent. So....
WINNER: Destroyer, all hands down. Besides, the frigate looks like garbage anyway. WHO drives a frigate anyway? C'mon, don't kid yourself, drive a Fed Cruiser.

ROUND 3 (Heavy cruisers)
I love them both. They make EV, more like EV. This might take awhile but please don't pass out. The Fed Cruiser is THE ship in game. I don't care about those stupid planet-busting, child murdering , sheep-eating aliens. Frankly, the Fed cruiser looks the coolest. Okay...okay, lets not drift away,the comparison!
Yadda yadda....Fed cruiser wins. Huh? Well, against a rebel cruiser, I've seen the cruiser lose many times. Know why? I'll use a term from an EVO ship guide. "Monty Python". A term whereby a ship gets confused fighting many ships (those mantas) at once. If a rebel cruiser fought toe-to-toe against Fed Cruiser without his fighters....he can consider himself red toast, heavy rocket or no heavy rocket. With the fighters, he has a chance of beating the cruiser with 50% of his shields left. Because at close range where the real brawling begins, no cruiser has the brains to fire off his torpedos (no ship in the game controlled by the AI at close range fires his torpedos). His neutron cannons are cool, but he still doesn't have the brain to use them like a human (what the hell am I saying?).
WINNER: Both of them. Huh? You want a real answer? As a ship for a human to use, the Fed cruiser would be better. However, it takes skill to be a rebel pilot and if used properly, a skilled rebel cruiser pilot can take out 3 fed cruisers at once (maybe ten!). The rebel cruiser is lethal.

P.S. I prefer the Fed cruiser. Maybe cuz I like big ships with big guns. (small boys with big toys)

EPILOGUE
It's quite unbelievable people will go to lengths such as comparing planets to live on to what paint a ship has. If you're a hardcore EV fan, these things will apply to you but if your the average gamer....it just sounds stupid. No doubt both governments are cool in a way. I admit the Feds are rat weasels when in comes to diplomacy and the rebels are the "good" guys...blah.blah..blah... but let us look at it from a different angle. You love Star Wars right (I hope so)? Sounds familiar to this storyline? Well, think of the Confederation as the Empire and the rebels as the uh....rebels? Okay, everyone loves Vader. Why? He's cooler than the Emperor and uses a red lightsaber (colour plays no part okay?). We prefer Star destroyers to Rebel blockade runners and prefer stormtroopers to boy bands (huh? somethings not right). I like Big ships. Really BIG ships! Compared to Fed cruiser, the rebel cruiser looks like Anakin Skywalker. It's a difference of tastes.

I Hope this wasn't boring. Perhaps a bit too long. It took a good hour to write this so I hope the EV community appreciates this. By the way...Don't kill Matt Burch, kill sheep (huh?) !!!!

SELESAI

Lets see if we can keep this topic alive huh? Everybody just reply here with something stupid to say. 🙂

------------------
Your standing in line,
a very big line,
And you have a gun,
a Big Freaking Gun,
Gee now what do you do?

Lets see if we can keep this topic alive huh? Everybody just reply here with something stupid to say. 🙂

------------------
Your standing in line,
a very big line,
And you have a gun,
a Big Freaking Gun,
Gee now what do you do?

Originally posted by Kryptauros:
**Lets see if we can keep this topic alive huh? Everybody just reply here with something stupid to say.:)

Umm...yeah, right. What he said.

------------------
"It's clearly a budget. It's got lots of numbers in it." -George W. Bush

AIM-OctoberFost

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost")http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost(/url)

I'm all for keeping this topic alive. Rebels all the way!! Yee-haw. Of course the rebels are in a rut. The patrol ships equal its mantas and it has no match for the gunboat. The Destroyer is better than the frigate but the confed's cruiser wins that match. The big thing going for the rebels, though, is the fact that they have (or seem to have) more ships. Be a rebel, join the rebellion!!

------------------
It is only a scratch
-I cut off your arm!!
No you didn't

You know what is going to be fun? When the Multiplayer EV is finally going
to be introduced (And you know it will, it is only a matter of time before we real Reble guys revolt, in our grand tradition, and by torturing Andrew and Matt -not to mention giving them alot of cash - finally attain justice! All Rise! All.....oops, sorry.) and the Rebles and Confeds REALLY go at each other. Then we will see who is better. . . . . Long live the Rebellion!

------------------
We do not live to work, rather, we work to live.

Originally posted by Bozorg:
Whwn I posted this topic, I hoped it would create at least some controversy. But the Rebels have a massive advantage. Only two support the confeds, this Laguna and myself. Note that AI controlled Rebel ships do not use any kind of torpedoes, and those powerful heavy rockets can be avoided very easily, while the smart cruiser pilot slams the rebel ships from a distance with torpedoes. There is also a quite usful device called Flare Launcher and its Decoy Flares, that are small, red, and deviate or destroy incoming missiles. There also is the somewhat less effective Missile Jammer. There are only two thing that interfere with torpedoes: Asteroids an Nebulae. Asteroids can also deviate missiles.

Rebel Destroyers ALWAYS fire their torpedoes! And when they fire their heavy rockets, its only when they're right in front of your face! (calm down) Rebel ships are also MUCH more maneuverable than Confed ships, which are slower than cold molasses. Rebel Destroyers always beat Confed Frigates. Confed ships look like pieces of super ugly junk. The Confed cruiser can't turn a bit! Mantas almost always beat Confed Patrol ships. Even an expertly piloted Manta can take out 3 Confed Gunboats! And also, when Bozorg said "...while the smart cruiser pilot slams the rebel ships from a distance with torpedoes..." Come on! The Confed cruiser ain't worth a nickle! You can't buy an RCS upgrade to make it turn! And the Rebel cruiser could fly circles around it!!

Rebels Rule!!!

------------------

(This message has been edited by Captain Carnotaur (edited 06-24-2000).)

Originally posted by King, The 2nd:
I like Big ships. Really BIG ships! Compared to Fed cruiser, the rebel cruiser looks like Anakin Skywalker.

But hey, remember what happened to Sebulba when he raced Anakin? And also remember EVO. Not many people liked the HUGE amount of systems it had. Also, the Confed cruiser can't turn. So the Rebel cruiser has a BIG advantage. So always remember, bigger is not always better.

------------------

Personally, I would play the Rebles even if their ships were heaps of junk, simply because of thier ideolgy. Nonetheless, I have noticed several things in my life as a Merc.

Destroyer v. Frigate
In my experience, everytime I have watched a battle between the two without interfering, the ships were pretty much evenly matched. Both unloose a swarm of torps, close in with heavy rockets and turrets, and the survivor is left with about 10% shield. It's almost a matter of who got of the first shot, or who was lucky enough to avoid that one rocket.

Manta v. Patrol Ship
Unfortunatly, the patrol ship almost always wins. This is due to the fact that the Patrol Ship has two missles instead of one. The Manta has the slight plus of the fact that its laser cannons track, so if it somehow manages to avoid one missle and actually close its a close fight. Still those proton bolts hurt.
I have actually seen a Manta win several times, one on one, no asteroids, fair fight. I always cheer.

Reble Cruiser v. Confederate Cruiser
Close call, but....
Without a doubt, the Confed Cruiser, when talking about AI versus AI is the most massive, pulverizing force out there.
Notice that key phrase?
AI versus AI?
Because frankly the AI usually has but one directive in its tiny little electronic mind:
Point. At. Target.
Shoot.
The AI virtually never uses the manuvaribilty advantage, somtimes, yes, but rarely. Now, when a human takes control of a ship, its a whole different story, is'nt it? I have tried to use a Confed Cruiser many times and it's massivenes is completly useless. Even with all the upgrades and modifcations it has all the speed and manuvarability of a Winnebago without weels. And trying to use a afterburner on that thing is like trying to eat a can of beans to run faster, if you get my drift. You couldn't doge a missle in that thing if your life depended on it, which it often does. The only thing you can do is go head to head, and if you try that against, say a fleet of Kestrels, you are very dead meat.
Ah, but a Reble Cruiser on the other hand. . . .
It fits as much firepower, but once you put the upgrades in it will actually outpace and outmanuver most other stock ships..not bad, eh?
'Nough said, I think

------------------

Auuugh! I forgot to use the spell-checker!

------------------