Flying (or just getting off the ground)

I have read the checklist of files required to make a CGE game run, I've double checked all the requirements, and read through the PDF manual and I'm stumped. When I try to run the game, it loads the "game data", then stops before asking for a name or loading any of the maps etc.. Any help would be appreciated, or if more information would be helpful, please let me know. Thanks in advance....

------------------

OK, this sounds fairly familiar. ๐Ÿ™‚ When your game loads up, does it immediately just quit? If so (and if not, check this anyway) open up the map that your NewGame event is teleporting you to. Check that, in the "layers" box, you have at least two individual layers: one will be named <<Player>> (or something similar) and the other of your own creation. This is necessary, otherwise the map appears to come up blank and the game quits before displaying it. Anyway, add another layer, recompile and see what happens. And I'd also recommend moving things off the player layer unless they are required to be their... it can cause some funky problems, iirc, leaving them there. ๐Ÿ™‚

If that's not the problem, post again and we'll see what we can do. And also, if you feel like some live help, try logging on to #coldstone on irc.ambrosia.net:6667 and if someone's around you might just be in luck. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Originally posted by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus:
**OK, this sounds fairly familiar.:) When your game loads up, does it immediately just quit? If so (and if not, check this anyway) open up the map that your NewGame event is teleporting you to. Check that, in the "layers" box, you have at least two individual layers: one will be named <<Player>> (or something similar) and the other of your own creation. This is necessary, otherwise the map appears to come up blank and the game quits before displaying it. Anyway, add another layer, recompile and see what happens. And I'd also recommend moving things off the player layer unless they are required to be their... it can cause some funky problems, iirc, leaving them there. ๐Ÿ™‚

When the game loads up, it doesnt quit so to speak, but just sits (not stalls or locks-up, just sits) at a black screen. I can then apple-q and quit out of the game. My screen after my loading screen is a black screen (just as a space holder) and I suspect that is where it is supposed to be doing something. Maybe I missed a required event, but I'm not sure. I really appreciate your prompt reply btw...

------------------

Do you have a main opening screen with a startgame button?

Someone here gave me this checklist. It mentions all the elements you need to have before a game can be run (allthough for testing you do not need endgame stuff):

COLDSTONE CHECKLIST
()Put all your pictures in the "Pictures->SomeFolderName" directory. They all must be at this level, you can't drill down into subfolders.

()Create a Map with at least one layer besides the PLAYER layer

()Create a Location of type "Map" with the same name as the Map

()Create an Opening Screen Graphic and put it in your "Locations->Location pics" folder

()Create a location of type "Main Location" with the same name as the Opening Screen

()On the "Layouts" tab of the Game Options box:
-Create an Interface and "Select" it in either the "Main Interface" or "Map Interface" (YOU MAY NOT HAVE BOTH)
-"Edit" the interface so that the "Game Area" box covers the entire interface
-Create a "Loading Dialog" graphic and "Select" it on the "Layouts" tab of the Game Options screen

()On the "Misc" tab of the Game Options box:
-give your game a Name
-give your game a Creator Code
-load your "Player's Map Display"
-uncheck any dialogues you don't want to appear at startup

()Create a "StartGame" event (The name must be exact)
-this should include a "User Control" action and a "Teleport" action which calls your "Main Location" (Opening Screen)

()Create a "Main" event (The name must be exact)
-this should include a "Set Map Position" action and a "Teleport" action which calls your "Map"

()Create an "EndGame" event (The name must be exact)
-This should include a "Call Event" action which calls your "StartGame" event

()Create a location of type "Event Link" and call it "Start a New Game" (Any name will do)
click the "Edit Event" button. This event should include an "Engine Call" action to "New Game"

------------------

one more thing:

do the images have the right format? At the end of the main tutorial there is a list with image formats.

------------------

Originally posted by jeroen goulooze:
**one more thing:

do the images have the right format? At the end of the main tutorial there is a list with image formats.

Hrm. That's what I was just about to suggest. Make sure that the images are all 72dpi, in the correct formats and in thousands of colours. It sounds now that the game is actually launching but nothing is happening... tell me, are you using original graphics or ones from the tutorial files?

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"